PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Robbins?

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 02:48 PM
My Friend just heard on the radio that we will be bringing him in for a look. Has anyone else hear this?

The Spaz
08-12-2004, 02:50 PM
I haven't heard anything. Besides that from what I have heard he may not even pass a physical his knee is so bad.

ryjam282
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Yeah, his knee is shot. He has no cartilage in it all. Pass on him, thanks.

Mr. Miyagi
08-12-2004, 02:59 PM
:coocoo:

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
:coocoo:

So you have heard the rumor too?

EricStratton
08-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
My Friend just heard on the radio that we will be bringing him in for a look. Has anyone else hear this?

Which personality is coming in for in interview?

ryjam282
08-12-2004, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't mind taking him if he can pass a physical. He was a totally dominant center for the Radiers before he stopped taking his medication. Who knows.

Mr. Miyagi
08-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I wouldn't mind taking him if he can pass a physical. He was a totally dominant center for the Radiers before he stopped taking his medication. Who knows.
The guy stopped taking his medication and went nuts the night before the SuperBowl. That shows he is not dependable. What if we made it all the way and he pulled the same stunt?

No thanks. :cynic:

TedMock
08-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Robbins, Williams.... we could have the "All Zoloft Line." Honestly, the guy was an awesome lineman before he flipped out. I don't know what to think about it.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by EricStratton
Which personality is coming in for in interview?

Great point!

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 03:22 PM
From Thesportingnews.com

Fantasy News
Fri Jul 23 2004 - The Raiders released C Barret Robbins. Robbins suffers from bipolar disorder, and will be remembered mostly for disappearing to Mexico a day before Super Bowl XXXVII. He still is talented and will likely get signed as a backup elsewhere

What Knee injury are you guys talking about?????

I say keep him on meds. sign Robbins Tuege to RT. Williams to LG...

The Spaz
08-12-2004, 03:24 PM
From Thesportingnews.com

Fantasy News
Fri Jul 23 2004 - The Raiders released C Barret Robbins. Robbins suffers from bipolar disorder, and will be remembered mostly for disappearing to Mexico a day before Super Bowl XXXVII. He still is talented and will likely get signed as a backup elsewhere

What Knee injury are you guys talking about?????

I say keep him on meds. sign Robbins Tuege to RT. Williams to LG...

This one.

In the second round, the Raiders made an eye-opening statement about the future of Pro Bowl center Barret Robbins in silver and black. Acknowledging concerns about Robbins' health following an unorthodox surgical procedure to repair cartilage damage in his troublesome right knee, the team picked the highest-rated center in the draft, Virginia Tech's Jake Grove.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/04/25/SPGQ66AUHT1.DTL

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 03:25 PM
oh That one....

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I just read that article. It is from April and it doesn't say he hasn't recovered. Just mentions that he had an unorthodox procedure!.

The Spaz
08-12-2004, 03:29 PM
I just read that article. It is from April and it doesn't say he hasn't recovered. Just mentions that he had an unorthodox procedure!.

There's other articles I'm not going to dig thru all them.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
There's other articles I'm not going to dig thru all them.

I will take your word for it. So basically they state that he still hasn't recovered from the Procedure?

The Spaz
08-12-2004, 03:33 PM
I will take your word for it. So basically they state that he still hasn't recovered from the Procedure?

Correct.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Got it.

Mr. Miyagi
08-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Just mentions that he had an unorthodox procedure!.
Translation: Scrap loose cartilage with wire coat hanger and flush knee with turkey baster.

mypoorfriendme
08-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
Yeah, his knee is shot. He has no cartilage in it all.

like that would stop donahoe? if you ask me, that increases his chances of being signed by the bills by about 65%

The Spaz
08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
like that would stop donahoe? if you ask me, that increases his chances of being signed by the bills by about 65%

TD gets people with knee problems but they sill have ligaments and cartilage in there knee.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 04:15 PM
And robbins doesn't mypoorfriend.

Canadian'eh!
08-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm against this mostly,

but right now i feel like even if they were to simply amputate Robbins' left knee, take him off his meds completely, and hand him a couple bottles of whisky and steroids he'd STILL be better than Trey Teague.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2004, 04:32 PM
The procedure Robbins had is controversial in that cartilage is transplanted from a cadaver into his knee. Rod Woodson had the same procedure this offseason and the Raiders failed them both when they took their physicals prior to camp.

The word on Robbins is he wouldn't be able to play at all this year, so I'd be surprised if he is back this soon. This is a relatively new procedure, and I do not know of any other players who have had it and returned to be able to play. Some people have had the procedure and said it improved their everyday life, but I don't think anyone has returned to play in the NFL.

casdhf
08-12-2004, 04:38 PM
for a price, I'll sell my body parts!

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by NE39
The procedure Robbins had is controversial in that cartilage is transplanted from a cadaver into his knee. Rod Woodson had the same procedure this offseason and the Raiders failed them both when they took their physicals prior to camp.

The word on Robbins is he wouldn't be able to play at all this year, so I'd be surprised if he is back this soon. This is a relatively new procedure, and I do not know of any other players who have had it and returned to be able to play. Some people have had the procedure and said it improved their everyday life, but I don't think anyone has returned to play in the NFL.

Thanks for the info.

casdhf
08-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Good to have you back full time, thurm! :up:

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks Cas!

Tatonka
08-12-2004, 07:08 PM
robbins with one knee is better than teague.

no one can argue that.

Tatonka
08-12-2004, 07:09 PM
bledsoe is going to have bad knees after teague gets pushed back into them.

The Spaz
08-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
robbins with one knee is better than teague.

no one can argue that.

He has to be able to pass a physical 1st.

Jan Reimers
08-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Didn't someone in an earlier post on this subject say that Robbins is also facing a 4 game suspension? If that's the case, and in view of his bad knee, I'd pass - even if we coild keep him on his meds.

The Spaz
08-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Didn't someone in an earlier post on this subject say that Robbins is also facing a 4 game suspension? If that's the case, and in view of his bad knee, I'd pass - even if we coild keep him on his meds.

Very true he tested positive for THG.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2004, 08:48 PM
He is subject to a fine, but not a suspension. That was an special arrangement worked out between the NFL and NFLPA.

THG was not originally a banned substance by the NFL, and didn't come to light until the Balco scandal. After the scandal, the NFL went back and tested some old samples for THG, and Robbins tested positive along with Dana Stubblefield and Chris Cooper (both on the Raiders at the time).

Because the unusual circumstances, with it not originally being banned and the testing of old samples, it was agreed the players would be fined but not suspended.

However, those players are subject to increased testing because they are now part of the substance abuse program, and if they test positive again they will be suspended.

Jan Reimers
08-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info, NE.

LtBillsFan66
08-13-2004, 09:38 AM
He was busted for steroids, and he's the dude that missed the super bowl two years ago.

THATHURMANATOR
08-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Yes thanks for finally joining the conversation BF.

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Yes thanks for finally joining the conversation BF.

:rofl:

Me too.

Nothing wrong with a little roid rage. Hope it kicks in right before one of the fin games.

HenryRules
08-13-2004, 05:42 PM
I could be mistaken, but I believe when Robbins lost it before the Super Bowl, it was not because he "stopped" taking his medication - it was because up to that point he had never taken medication.

I think the Super Bowl was the first time that his condition really became apparent and as a result the treatment only started afterwards.

socalfan
08-13-2004, 06:57 PM

If it is the same surgery that Ostrowski and Reggie Germany had....then I take it he won't recover....I've not known anyone to recover from that surgery.