PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this team? I tried a different strategy.

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 11:16 AM
I picked 7th and so I decided to try a different strategy. Keep in mind that we start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D.

When it came to my first pick, I decided to take Randy Moss over Edge. Then Holt was sitting there at my second pick and I couldn't pass him up. Third round Santana Moss was still there, so I took him! That means three round and no RBs. But I'll be able to start all three of those WRs! So I figure if one or two of my RBs pan out, I'm golden!

Here's how my team came out:

QB - Jake Plummer, Tim Rattay

RB - Duce Staley, Quentin Griffin, Travis Minor, Willis McGahee, Greg Jones, Chris Perry

WR - Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Santana Moss, Jerry Porter, Joey Galloway

TE - Daniel Graham

K - Vinatieri

D - NE

This is the first time I have not picked a RB in the first two rounds, let alone the first three. Let me know what you think!

:feedback:

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 11:20 AM
All of those RB's blow. You're screwed. Moss and Holt were ok. You should have passed on Moss and grabbed an RB like Thomas Jones.

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
All of those RB's blow. You're screwed. Moss and Holt were ok. You should have passed on Moss and grabbed an RB like Thomas Jones.

If I can get an average to above average day out of one of those RBs every week, I'm golden, IMO.

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Plus Plummer blows. You're screwed.

Mr. Miyagi
08-13-2004, 11:27 AM
I agree. Way to adjust to the flow of the draft. :up:

Mr. Miyagi
08-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
TE - Daniel Graham

K - Vinatieri

D - NE

Traitor!

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Plus Plummer blows. You're screwed.

From the only guy who was worse than me last year. :shakeno:

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 11:31 AM
That NE bye is gonna be a pain though. :eek:

Sabre Ally
08-13-2004, 11:36 AM
That was the best you could do for QBs? :eek:

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
That was the best you could do for QBs? :eek:

log :makeout: Plummer

I don't get it.

Novacane
08-13-2004, 11:42 AM
log :makeout: Plummer

I don't get it.

:rofl:

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Plummer was a top 5 QB before his injury last year and a top 10 QB when he returned.

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Plummer was a top 5 QB before his injury last year and a top 10 QB when he returned.

:boring:

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 11:53 AM
:meh:

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Drew will have a better year than Plummer.

In a 12 team league, every other team will have a better QB.

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Drew will have a better year than Plummer.

In a 12 team league, every other team will have a better QB.

Want to bet?

Philagape
08-13-2004, 12:00 PM
There will be games when your RBs pan out (but lots of times it'll be the ones on your bench, so good luck choosing which one to play), and there will be just as many games when you'll get blown out. You would need to hope Henry, Taylor or Rudi get injured.
I guarantee Plummer won't be as productive as last year.

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Philagape
There will be games when your RBs pan out (but lots of times it'll be the ones on your bench, so good luck choosing which one to play), and there will be just as many games when you'll get blown out. You would need to hope Henry, Taylor or Rudi get injured.
I guarantee Plummer won't be as productive as last year.

I disagree that the RB who pans out will be on my bench. Staley is #1 in Pitt and Travis Minor is the starter in Miami. I also think Griffin will be the featured back in Denver. An average day out of any of those will suffuce. Moss and Holt put up the consistency of top RBs.

footballchick715
08-13-2004, 12:05 PM
hey good picks i would have done just about the same.. you have a good strategy..:D sweet!!

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Finally, an honest person!

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Want to bet?

We don't have any money any more. :ill:

Mr. Miyagi
08-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Finally, an honest person!
:mad:

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I agree. Way to adjust to the flow of the draft. :up:

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 12:33 PM
We don't have any money any more. :ill:

We will next week hopefully. :pray:

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Well, it was just a practice draft anyway, but it would be interesting to see how it turned out.

Earthquake Enyart
08-13-2004, 12:36 PM
If that were just practice, you sure have a lot of work to do. :eek:

Philagape
08-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Being a team's top RB doesn't guarantee consistency. How many weeks will all three of them have big games? It'll be a crap shoot every week. There are reasons that they're not in the same class as the elites.
-- Staley has topped 1100 yards only once, has never scored more than 5 rushing TDs in a season and failed to emerge from the committee in Philly.
-- Minor plays on a now-horrible offense.
-- Griffin may be the best bet, but he's a small back with a highly touted prospect behind him.
Sure, Moss and Holt are consistent, but a consistent 15-18 points is a bit different than a consistent 20-25.

Not to be mean, but you asked for a critique :D

Philagape
08-13-2004, 02:02 PM
But given your drafting position, it's still an intriguing way to go. Just very high risk.

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Philagape
Sure, Moss and Holt are consistent, but a consistent 15-18 points is a bit different than a consistent 20-25.

Add in 8-10 points from my starting RB and Santana Moss, who is going to have a monster year, and I'm right there.

Listen, I'm not saying I'd actually do this in a league that mattered to me, but it's an interesting concept and I might try it if the right situation arises in a free yahoo league. :D

Philagape
08-13-2004, 02:18 PM
:couch:

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
OR I might try it in the pay league. :D

Philagape
08-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Just don't pick Ike Hilliard or I'll kick your ass

The Quebecer
08-13-2004, 05:32 PM
A very interesting strategy! Would take a lot of guts to pull something like that in a real draft...

My take is that it should work just fine, even thought your RBs are somewhat of ????, Staley has shown in the past that he could put up some nice numbers, as for Griffin, well he plays for Denver, so he should be fine...

One thing you might want to do : if after a few weeks, your RBs blows, you might want to package Holt and ??? to get a RB like Taylor, D. Davis, or TH...

Anyway, very interesting indeed...!

Charlieguide
08-13-2004, 07:27 PM
That NE bye is gonna be a pain though. :eek:

Look at it this way, if they all miss the same game, it's more games with your whole starting lineup. I know a guy who tries to get all his players the same bye, so he only loses 1-2 games. One big loss is better than 10 points less every week.

But this year he doesn't have Sharpe, or an established running game. In a 12 team league, there must be someone better than Rattay. McCown? Brees?

I disagree that the RB who pans out will be on my bench. Staley is #1 in Pitt and Travis Minor is the starter in Miami. I also think Griffin will be the featured back in Denver. An average day out of any of those will suffuce. Moss and Holt put up the consistency of top RBs.

I'm with you on Staley, and probably even Minor. A RB who gets the majority of the snaps is hard to come by this year. Keep an eye on Denver; they're still talking about the possibility of starting Anderson (why I picked him in BFZ#3). Maybe consider Emmitt if Minor or Griffin don't pan out? With Shipp out, and if he's healthy, it's worth watching.

I have Moss 2 slots above Edge overall. If scoring is the same at both positions, very astute move. Similar logic for rounds 2 and 3: go where the points are. Good moves, IMHO.

If you'll start 3 WR and one RB, why bother keeping Willis McGahee, Greg Jones, and Chris Perry? Depth is good, but these are three BIG question marks. Pick one or two, and bulk up at WR, where you need to make sure you have depth, and plenty is available.

lordofgun
08-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Charlie, as for why I have all those RBs, well I grabbed 5 solid WRs already, so I'm hoping to hit a home run with one of those young RBs.

Charlieguide
08-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Charlie, as for why I have all those RBs, well I grabbed 5 solid WRs already, so I'm hoping to hit a home run with one of those young RBs.

It's always fun to gamble. :D