PDA

View Full Version : Henry making waves

illusionone
08-13-2004, 01:40 PM
ESPN radio reports, Henry interview with USA Today "I want to be traded if a RB (Willis) with no NFL experience gets more carries"

Like we need this right now....just focus on playing f'n football

The Spaz
08-13-2004, 01:45 PM
From what Mularkey has said Willis won't be getting more carries than Henry so I don't know what he's worried about.

Crisis
08-13-2004, 01:53 PM
I'd like to see the context he said that in before I make any assumptions, though.

The Spaz
08-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Also every single player in their press conference's from offense to defense have said Travis is the man.

saviorbledsoe
08-13-2004, 01:55 PM
almost surely taken out of context

illusionone
08-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Crisis
I'd like to see the context he said that in before I make any assumptions, though.

I went on USATODAY.COM to find the exact quote but could not find it. I hope he isn't being a jerk is all.

G. Host
08-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Travis Henry says he will ask to be traded if he is supplanted by Willis McGahee as the Buffalo Bills' featured running back.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2004-08-12-mcgahee_x.htm

He wants to be traded next year (one year left on contract) if he is not primary back. Big deal. Many Bills fan feel same thing.

DraftBoy
08-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by illusionone
ESPN radio reports, Henry interview with USA Today "I want to be traded if a RB (Willis) with no NFL experience gets more carries"

Like we need this right now....just focus on playing f'n football

Unfotunately this is the type of attitude I have said numerous times that I was afraid Travis would take if Willis provided some serious heat and got the spotlight like he did in the scrimmage. I pray that this is out of context but given that he has a history of making comments about Willis to the media Id not be surprised by this at all....But I agree with Spaz I dont know what the hell he is worried about he's the starter and everyone through the whole organization has said that. Lastly Id like to point out that this whole time Willis has never said anything negative or condescending about Herny and yet if this turns out to be true this would be atleast the 2nd time Henry has made a negative comment about Willis.

DraftBoy
08-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by G. Host

He wants to be traded next year (one year left on contract) if he is not primary back. Big deal. Many Bills fan feel same thing.

Hell yea ship his ass out for some picks! :D

Mr. Miyagi
08-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Sounds good to me. Send him to Arizona for their #1 overall pick. :up:

The Spaz
08-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Sounds good to me. Send him to Arizona for their #1 overall pick. :up:

That would be great actually he's out of the AFC let alone the division and the Cardinals still hav e along way to go for rebuilding under Dennis Green.

Bled2Hen
08-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Travis is the man! I'd trade Willis b4 him......

DraftBoy
08-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Bled2Hen

:rolleyes:

The Spaz
08-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Bled2Hen

As of right now yes but if Willis can put up 500 or more rushign yards and 5 or more TD's then you would have to concider trading Henry next year.

Michael82
08-13-2004, 04:46 PM

But now is NOT the time to start this ****! Henry should have known better. :cynic:

illusionone
08-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
But now is NOT the time to start this ****! Henry should have known better. :cynic:

Agreed

BAM
08-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Even if McGahee takes a lot of his carries, he needs to suck it up and do what's best for the team. **** the "me me me" complex, that **** pisses me off :mad:

illusionone
08-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by BAM
Even if McGahee takes a lot of his carries, he needs to suck it up and do what's best for the team. **** the "me me me" complex, that **** pisses me off :mad:

He could single handedly bring down the morale in the locker room with **** like that. Not to bring Drew into it, but he should take a page out of Drews book (i.e. New England 2001)....Shut the **** up and deal with it in the off season.

G. Host
08-13-2004, 05:36 PM
I am not Oh Henry's biggest supporter but basically it appears he was asked a question and answered it honestly rather than using a Gregg Williams style BS answer.

There are some who think players who think they are qualified to be starting ought to shut up when decisions are made for other than football reasons but as long as it is just talk not holding out or causing trouble let players talk.

SABURZFAN
08-13-2004, 05:43 PM
i think mcgahee will be effective as an outlet for bledsoe if he can't get the ball downfield.mcgahee will probably touch the ball 12-15 times a game.i don't see how henry can complain if he touches the ball 25 times a game.

JMO

The Natrix
08-13-2004, 05:48 PM
He didn't cry about a broken leg, but now he has to ***** and moan about this? I guess he's tough on the outside but a softy on the inside. :limp:

HenryRules
08-13-2004, 06:11 PM
I hate when people go to the press about issues like this but at the same time, at least he's willing to say what he's feeling - I'd rather hear that then "I'm going to bust my ass to get back on the first team" and then miss 2 days of practice.

Really though, how can you blame him for thinking that? 2005 is his contract year and do you think he wants to hit the market as a 2-year backup or as a starter with 1200+ yards on another team? The difference in cash between the two is probably 2 mil/yr for about 4 years. He'd be stupid not to want to get traded if Willis beats him out of a job.

DraftBoy
08-13-2004, 06:14 PM
He should be more concerned about this year then next year if you ask me...

HenryRules
08-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
He should be more concerned about this year then next year if you ask me...

Agreed ... there's one way to ensure that McGahee doesn't get more carries and that's to outplay him.

socalfan
08-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Agreed ... there's one way to ensure that McGahee doesn't get more carries and that's to outplay him.

Maybe he thinks it won't make any difference if he outplays McGahee. Maybe he thinks the decision was already made, when they drafted McGahee in the first round and paid him millions. Maybe he thinks that is what will determine his fate.

DraftBoy
08-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
Maybe he thinks it won't make any difference if he outplays McGahee. Maybe he thinks the decision was already made, when they drafted McGahee in the first round and paid him millions. Maybe he thinks that is what will determine his fate.

Maybe he should think that much next time he tries to pick up a 15yr old. Seriously though I think its just jealousy bc of all the media attention McGahee is getting. He continues to display the "Me Me Me" mentality with being a pissy person and giving comments like this.

The_Philster
08-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Maybe he should think that much next time he tries to pick up a 15yr old.
Nice way to distort the facts :up: She lied about her age and these days, it's harder to tell how old a girl is.

Tatonka
08-13-2004, 08:37 PM
this is NOT the first comment that he has made like that. i posted something on it earlier today from another article that spaz put up...

i think this is the 3rd comment that i have read like this, all during this training camp.

he is going ot be an ******* about this.. i can tell.

the only prayer we have is that henry outplays willis and stays the workhorse for this year.. if he doesnt.. it is going to be drama city.. anyone who believes anything different needs to take their rose colored glasses off

HenryRules
08-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
She lied about her age and these days, it's harder to tell how old a girl is.

That's the biggest load of BS that I've ever heard. The guy was like 21 or 22 when he picked her up ... if you are that age and can't tell the difference between a 15 year-old and an 18 year-old - or even intelligent enough to realize that when its in question you should stay the hell away - then you belong in a home.

Henry is a solid, solid runner (altough I don't think he's lived up to what I thought he would be after his rookie season), but man, you can't make excuses for something like that.

HenryRules
08-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
this is NOT the first comment that he has made like that. i posted something on it earlier today from another article that spaz put up...

i think this is the 3rd comment that i have read like this, all during this training camp.

the only prayer we have is that henry outplays willis and stays the workhorse for this year.. if he doesnt.. it is going to be drama city.. anyone who believes anything different needs to take their rose colored glasses off

I'd much rather an RB like Henry have an attitude about sitting than to accept it with no problem. If a back in his 4th year after 2 1300+ seasons had no problem sitting on the bench, I'd put his ass on a bus. You need to have some pride. As I said, I don't like the idea that he's coming out in the papers ... but I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

DraftBoy
08-13-2004, 09:43 PM
That's the biggest load of BS that I've ever heard. The guy was like 21 or 22 when he picked her up ... if you are that age and can't tell the difference between a 15 year-old and an 18 year-old - or even intelligent enough to realize that when its in question you should stay the hell away - then you belong in a home.

Henry is a solid, solid runner (altough I don't think he's lived up to what I thought he would be after his rookie season), but man, you can't make excuses for something like that.

I agree 100%, Im only 19 and can easily disort between who is legal and who isnt. Henry has no excuse and the fact that she lied and that your using that in his defense is laughable. Nice way to distort the facts? What facts? Socal presented possible ideas about what Henry was thinking about, all I did was make the common sense comment of maybe he should think more like that in his personal life as well as in football. Dont go saying that because she lied about her age it in anyway puts less blame on Henry, bc he shoulders 100% of the blame in my opinion.

DraftBoy
08-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

Ding Ding Ding....

helmetguy
08-13-2004, 11:02 PM

I'm with ya there!

It kinda makes me wonder if this is TH's way of "getting his game face on," so-to-speak. It may sound strange, but adversity has seemed to be what has driven him, particularly through injuries. If Willis DOES wrest the starting spot away from him before season's end, it'll be interesting to see how he responds.

Charlieguide
08-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Hell yea ship his ass out for some picks! :D

Only if Willis is good enough to improve the position. And we still lose in the bargain unless we get a 1 and a 2, or similar. Think about it: you spend a 1st rounder on Willis so that two years later you get a 1 and a 2? Not a very good deal, IMO. We had just lost Price, Centers, and Jay R, there were positions to be filled!

I am not Oh Henry's biggest supporter but basically it appears he was asked a question and answered it honestly rather than using a Gregg Williams style BS answer.

There are some who think players who think they are qualified to be starting ought to shut up when decisions are made for other than football reasons but as long as it is just talk not holding out or causing trouble let players talk.

I agree with this. Henry shouldn't be answering questions like this in the first place, but if he does answer them , this is the response I'd expect. He has proven he is a top-tier back in this league; there's no reason he should be splitting carries with anyone. I hope this ends up being Davis and Thomas, not Young and Montana.

Tatonka
08-14-2004, 01:17 AM
I'd much rather an RB like Henry have an attitude about sitting than to accept it with no problem. If a back in his 4th year after 2 1300+ seasons had no problem sitting on the bench, I'd put his ass on a bus. You need to have some pride. As I said, I don't like the idea that he's coming out in the papers ... but I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

i would hope that he doesnt accept it either.. but i dont want him pissing and moaning to the media.. like he has already started doing..

next thing you know, you have a terrell owens drama.. which would annoy the **** out of me.

Mr. Cynical
08-14-2004, 01:23 AM
I can't believe this is a surprise to anyone. If you have 2 young, starting calibre, pro bowl type backs on the same team, IT DOESN'T WORK. :rolleyes:

I've said this a thousand times, if WM is healthy and runs like he did, you trade TH ASAFP. Better for him, better for the team. Everybody wins.

The Spaz
08-14-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Deshaun Foster coudl be a good starter for a team. I wish Henry coudl handle it like he does.

Tatonka
08-14-2004, 01:29 AM
you mean you wish henry could handle it like steven davis does.

mcgahee would be the one in fosters role, and will probably be used much like foster is used in carolina.

henry to wear them out.. mcgahee to throw the knockout punch.

Mr. Cynical
08-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I'm pretty sure Deshaun Foster coudl be a good starter for a team. I wish Henry coudl handle it like he does.

Different situation entirely though. As I mentioned, 2 *young* and probowl-type backs doesn't work.

* Foster is in his 3rd year this year and had 429 yards last year.

* Davis is in his 9th year and had 1,444 yards last year.

* McGahee was drafted in the 1st round , so that is like a probowl credit, i.e., you don't spend your 1st round pick on someone you don't think should make the probowl and start.

* Henry is in his 4 year and had 1,356 yards last year.

The difference in situations is that there is alot more separation in careers between Foster/Davis than McGahee/Henry. In addition, McGahee was projected top 5 pick, e.g., a superstar, before the injury. Henry was not. So there is a ton of egos, talent expectations, etc. in our situation that just doesn't work IMO.

helmetguy
08-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Cynical, I'm with you right up to the point of trading him ASAFP. TH is going to have an axe to grind. Losing his starting spot to an "upstart" (to him) is akin to a slap in the face; even MORE motivation to prove that he's the real deal. Either way, TH wins. If he pushes himself harder to regain the starting spot and outperforms, McGahee, he's back and Willis becomes trade bait. If the brain-trust still isn't sold on TH, his numbers become a tasy resume that someone is sure to overpay for. It is probable that he (TH) won't go anywhere until after the season. With his playing time curtailed, his attitude might just be the impetus for him to produce far beyond what one might expect for his diminished role; so somebody will be almost horny to go after him. Far fetched? Not really. Rob Johnson sold himself to John Butler that way; coupled with the abyssmal disappointment named Todd Collins.

However this plays out, one can only hope that we take the attitude that "We're gonna run. We have the horses to do it, and there ain't nuthin' you can do about it! Pick yer poison, suckers!"

Mr. Cynical
08-14-2004, 03:07 AM
I'm with you on the "TH will have an axe to grind and will try to kick ass" part. But I don't think there is any way that if WM does what he is expected to do, that they will use WM as trade bait. You don't spend a 1st rounder on a projected top 5 pick and rehab him for a year only to trade him away. He's just got alot more upside than TH ever will have.

The best scenario is that they split time and both do really well. That way TH's trade value is there, and WM gets the reps to get his career started.

But the problem is that if WM plays like he is capable, they won't want him sitting. You want the best RB playing, and if WM plays like he can, he is the best RB. That means TH won't get the reps...he'll be pissed off....locker room BS starts....media fuels it further....and ultimately his trade value may decline.

My main concern is the distraction factor. It already looks like TH is not going to play nice, and I can't blame him...he has done really well and is starting his prime. That's why I've never been a fan of RB by committee, unless you either have a older vet/young guy situation (Foster/Davis, Zeroue/Bettis) or 2 average backs (Smith/K. Faulk). Two young studs is just too much talent and ego to work well togethter IMO.

helmetguy
08-14-2004, 03:15 AM
I just don't see TH as the sulking pouting, "I'll just go through the motions," kind of a guy. If his playing time becomes a premium, he's the type that will make the most of what he's getting, if only to enhance his own fortunes. It'll only become a distraction if Henry decides to dog it when he gets his reps; provided that he loses his starting spot. If he does dog it, he hurts himself as much, if not more, than he does the team.

Mr. Cynical
08-14-2004, 03:45 AM
Oh, I would never see TH dogging it, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. When he is in, he will go 100%. The problem is that he might ***** about not getting the reps and that would cause the strife, especially if he is doing well with the time he is given. But again, if you had WM, you have to get him on the field as much as possible, no matter how well TH is doing.

That's why I think a problem is inevitable - WM will kick ass and so will TH. Thus, they both will have a point and a right to want more reps. It's just that they will want to give more to WM for his big play ability.

Hermanator21
08-14-2004, 04:41 AM
McGAYee is probally not where he wants himself to be yet, he still hasn't played a game in 18 months....and I do not see him returning to his old self until next year...who cares about that scrimmage against the sorry ass browns, that proves nothing...except that he is on his way to recovery, which will probally take a full year and I expect Travis to kick ass all season long and have top 5 numbers asfar as RB's are concerned, then we can re-evaluate McGAYee after the year is over and then we will be able to make a much more accurate evaluation on the two RBs........

mybills
08-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Hermanator21
McGAYee is probally not where he wants himself to be yet, he still hasn't played a game in 18 months....and I do not see him returning to his old self until next year...who cares about that scrimmage against the sorry ass browns, that proves nothing...except that he is on his way to recovery, which will probally take a full year and I expect Travis to kick ass all season long and have top 5 numbers asfar as RB's are concerned, then we can re-evaluate McGAYee after the year is over and then we will be able to make a much more accurate evaluation on the two RBs........

:bf1:

The Spaz
08-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Here we go with immature mispellings again great to see you back.:rolleyes:

finsrclowns
08-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Mularkey needs to duck tape THen's mouth. THen has a right to be annoyed that WM was drafted, but there's not a thing he can do about it except hurt the team by whining.

One of the reasons TD wanted WM in the first place is THen has not proven he is a serious receiving threat out of the backfield. The Bills gave him his chance last year when Centers was let go and THen's receptions dropped by 15 catches to 28. That ain't getting it done. WM should and will be the third down back this year and I fully expect our third down conversion percentage to improve as a result.

They say it takes 2 years to fully recover from the kind of injury WM had. That means WM won't be ready to be a feature back this year anyway. THen ought to shut his trap and play ball. If he does get traded after the season, it will probably mean a financial windfall with a new contract anyway so he has nothing to worry about.

But the one thing that excites me is for this year anyway you have 2 backs that can offer together as complete a package as there is in the NFL. It's up to Mularkey to get them both on the same page and away from microphones.

Novacane
08-14-2004, 08:55 AM
They were talking all day on WGR about this yesterday. They said the 2 media relations guys ran Henry off the field after practice so he would not talk to any reporters :snicker:

BillyT92679
08-14-2004, 09:16 AM
The wild card is McGahee. As much as nobody wants to think this (including me as well), McGahee could either be Barry Sanders or Rashaan Salaam. Nobody knows yet. He could be magnificent, or he could be ordinary. Remember that he earned the job with Frank Gore going down to his first ACL injury, but then he defintely wowed people with his natural skills. Before everyone continues to pillory Henry, let's first see how McGahee will really do.

elltrain22
08-14-2004, 11:50 AM
This is going to be a huge distraction, and if it escalates into something big, this could deter our team from keeping its focus.

Marvelous
08-14-2004, 09:20 PM
I feel our FO has showed TH very little respect as far as keeping him confident. They know he's insecure etc. Why not reassure him that it's HIS job to lose?

*Until WM plays well & plays hurt like TH has then in Henry i trust......

Michael82
08-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Cynical, I'm with you right up to the point of trading him ASAFP. TH is going to have an axe to grind. Losing his starting spot to an "upstart" (to him) is akin to a slap in the face; even MORE motivation to prove that he's the real deal. Either way, TH wins. If he pushes himself harder to regain the starting spot and outperforms, McGahee, he's back and Willis becomes trade bait. If the brain-trust still isn't sold on TH, his numbers become a tasy resume that someone is sure to overpay for. It is probable that he (TH) won't go anywhere until after the season. With his playing time curtailed, his attitude might just be the impetus for him to produce far beyond what one might expect for his diminished role; so somebody will be almost horny to go after him. Far fetched? Not really. Rob Johnson sold himself to John Butler that way; coupled with the abyssmal disappointment named Todd Collins.

However this plays out, one can only hope that we take the attitude that "We're gonna run. We have the horses to do it, and there ain't nuthin' you can do about it! Pick yer poison, suckers!"

Very good post! :bf1:

The Spaz
08-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Sippio
I feel our FO has showed TH very little respect as far as keeping him confident. They know he's insecure etc. Why not reassure him that it's HIS job to lose?

*Until WM plays well & plays hurt like TH has then in Henry i trust......

Everyone in the organization has said Henry is the #1 guy.

Michael82
08-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
They were talking all day on WGR about this yesterday. They said the 2 media relations guys ran Henry off the field after practice so he would not talk to any reporters :snicker:

:rofl: They better keep Bills media relations guys with him at all times. :gag: :snicker:

ublinkwescore
08-15-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
He's just got alot more upside than TH ever will have.

The best scenario is that they split time and both do really well. That way TH's trade value is there, and WM gets the reps to get his career started.

I'll take proven results over 'upside' any day.

Until we see WM do this good in week one of the regular season - (see Clarence Coleman or whoever it was that was returning punts really good last year).

I also seriously think that the implied animosity that Travis Henry appears to be putting on display could be anulled if the team wins alot and scores like 5 rushing td's a game in doing so - I could see that creating a big enough spotlight for TH and WM to satisfy their egos.

I'm getting wood just thinking about having split back sets with these two young arrogant bastards in the backfield. I know it was said before in this thread, but PICK YOUR POISON - you can know what we're gonna do all game - but knowing what we're gonna do, and stopping it are two totally different things.