PDA

View Full Version : Which QB should I start next game?

One Bills Drive
08-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Dear Fans,

I always look forward to hearing your input. Given the perfomrances of all our QB's thus far, which QB should I recommend Mike start next game?

Sincerely,

TD

The Natrix
08-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Drew. Even after 11 years, some need more proof that he blows.

Goobylal
08-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Or some need to learn more about the game.

The Natrix
08-15-2004, 09:29 PM
But seriously, Brown. When Drew was god awful last year at home (was it against the fins?) and Brown came in and made some nice plays, everyone wrote it off because it was garbage time... Just like everyone will write him off if he continues to play against 2nd stringers.

saviorbledsoe
08-15-2004, 09:31 PM
you guys are too funny

The Natrix
08-15-2004, 09:33 PM
I wish this was Losman's second year on the team. I really feel Drew is keeping this team from being great.

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Pretty tough to tell that Drew costs multi-millions more than Brown from the difference in their level of play. :scratch:

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I wish this was Losman's second year on the team. I really feel Drew is keeping this team from being great.

Not only Drew. The oline AND Drew. Both will tank the team this year.

The Natrix
08-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Not only Drew. The oline AND Drew. Both will tank the team this year.

No doubt, the O-line has a lot to prove. But it would be nice to be starting a QB who doesn't need a perfect surrounding cast in order to be effective.

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 09:46 PM
No doubt, the O-line has a lot to prove. But it would be nice to be starting a QB who doesn't need a perfect surrounding cast in order to be effective.

At the risk of being called Wysian yet again, I agree 100%.

HenryRules
08-15-2004, 09:50 PM
I think Brown is a horrible QB and I don't even like him as our backup - for that matter, I don't like him as our 3rd string.

I'd start Drew but I wish we had someone else to try in there.

The Natrix
08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

I'd start Drew but I wish we had someone else to try in there.

Good point. Although I don't think Brown is as bad as you say, another somewhat proven veteran QB would have been a nice addition, so a nice healthy QB competition could have been had in camp instead of TD making the "Drew is our starter" comment before Mularkey was even hired. :rolleyes:

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
I know it would never happen but I would like to see Brown with the 1st O against the 1st D. If he did well, then there would be no "he was going against the scrubs" stuff. If he sucked, then we can put it to rest that we may as well stick with Drew until JP takes over next year.

Don't forget - there are many success stories of backup vets who never got the chance that shined when truly given that chance. Not saying this is definitely Brown, but we won't know until we try.

The Spaz
08-15-2004, 09:59 PM
You guys like talking to yourselves...lol

HenryRules
08-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Good point. Although I don't think Brown is as bad as you say, another somewhat proven veteran QB would have been a nice addition, so a nice healthy QB competition could have been had in camp instead of TD making the "Drew is our starter" comment before Mularkey was even hired. :rolleyes:

I would have liked Kordell as a backup. With TD's familarity and his experience inn Mularkey's offense, I don't know why we couldn't have offered Kordell the league minimum like I think he ended up getting with Baltimore. He would have been a really good backup for us - he wouldn't have required as many reps to stay fresh with the offense so Losman could get playing time, he's had success with Mularkey before, and I think he only ended up signing for 1 year anyway, so we wouldn't have had to commit too long to him.

Did we even talk to him?

HenryRules
08-15-2004, 10:10 PM
It's not just QB that I'd like to see other people get some playing time with the first string. I'd like us to use the next two games just to try other players with the first string to get some familiarity with them and see how they perform.

Maybe try next game with McGahee at RB, sit Moulds and try Evans and Reed as our WRs or something like that. Pre-season is so long that it's a good opportunity to see what will happen once injuries start to strike.

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 10:16 PM
It's not just QB that I'd like to see other people get some playing time with the first string. I'd like us to use the next two games just to try other players with the first string to get some familiarity with them and see how they perform.

Maybe try next game with McGahee at RB, sit Moulds and try Evans and Reed as our WRs or something like that. Pre-season is so long that it's a good opportunity to see what will happen once injuries start to strike.

Given the fact that our offense is basically offensive at this point, I wholeheartedly agree. You gotta break some eggs if you want to make an omelette, so may as well experiment at least a little while we have some time left.

ShadowHawk7
08-15-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't think Bledsoe did so bad when he was in there. That Moulds pass wasn't perfect, but I've seen Moulds make plays like that several times, and this was just one time Eric didn't win that battle. I think it was just a great play by the CB. Eric wins that match against 4 out of 5 CB's methinks. :genius:

DraftBoy
08-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Id love to see our next preseason game run out there with:
QB Losman
RB McGahee
WR Evans
WR Reed
WR Aiken
TE Euhus

get a good long look at our future offense

Bill Brasky
08-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Thank god many of you aren't coaching this team. The starting lineup would change every 5 plays.

Dozerdog
08-15-2004, 10:56 PM
:rofl:-

everyone does realize we played against a weak second string defense most of the game, right?

Bledsoe was nothing special. But before you tank the season wanting Travis Brown in there- have him play against the varsity

The Natrix
08-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
:rofl:-

everyone does realize we played against a weak second string defense most of the game, right?

Bledsoe was nothing special. But before you tank the season wanting Travis Brown in there- have him play against the varsity

:confused2

That is exactly the point. Have him play with/against the 1st unit in the preseason. No one is saying name T-Brown the regular season starter.

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 11:03 PM
:confused2

That is exactly the point. Have him play with/against the 1st unit in the preseason. No one is saying name T-Brown the regular season starter.

You beat me to the punch. ;)

HenryRules
08-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
Thank god many of you aren't coaching this team. The starting lineup would change every 5 plays.

I'm pretty sure that the offense's cohesion comes from the hundreds of reps they do as a unit during the week as opposed to the 10 plays or so our 1st unit ran today ... I think pre-season Sunday's are just a good chance for a measuring stick of where you're at, so I don't think it's too bad to mix in one or two players at a time.

Jan Reimers
08-16-2004, 07:06 AM
I think their is some kind of delirium going around here. Drew is clearly our starting QB - Brown is a journeyman and Losman isn't ready.

We are installing a new O and getting ready for the regular season. Therefore, Drew starts with the first unit while Brown and Losman get the time they need to prepare for their roles.

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I think their is some kind of delirium going around here. Drew is clearly our starting QB - Brown is a journeyman and Losman isn't ready.

We are installing a new O and getting ready for the regular season. Therefore, Drew starts with the first unit while Brown and Losman get the time they need to prepare for their roles.

I think what we are saying is that Drew shouldn't be slated as "clearly our starting QB", i.e., nothing should be written in stone right now, especially when you look at the comparative performances on the field. It may very well be that Drew is the best option but without trying others with the 1st O we'll never know.

However, I'm not deluding myself that TD will actually try this. (Yes, I say TD because there is no doubt in my mind that MM was forced to follow the party line w/ Drew...my opinion) He is going to stand by his stated intention, no matter if it is right or wrong IMO.

saviorbledsoe
08-16-2004, 01:44 PM
lol

The Natrix
08-16-2004, 01:50 PM
I just got my Losman jersey. :party: Now I'll be boo-ing Bledsoe in style. :up:

Hemlepp53
08-16-2004, 02:34 PM

We need to keep Drew as our starter until we get say 4 - 5 games in the seasona nd see how JP plays by then. As of right now Drew is the starter for experience only. Plus with a PROPER OLINE he will do a hell of alot better...

The Spaz
08-16-2004, 02:35 PM
I just got my Losman jersey. :party: Now I'll be boo-ing Bledsoe in style. :up:

I get my Evans jersey Tomorrow so I can see Bledsoe throw TD's to him.:up:

Hemlepp53
08-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I get my Evans jersey Tomorrow so I can see Bledsoe throw TD's to him.:up:

YEAH .. I Like That Attitude!!!!!

Michael82
08-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Id love to see our next preseason game run out there with:
QB Losman
RB McGahee
WR Evans
WR Reed
WR Aiken
TE Euhus

get a good long look at our future offense

That will be Preseason Week 4. :D

Novacane
08-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Play Drew and the first team for at least a half. These guys need all the practice they can get.

Voltron
08-16-2004, 03:27 PM

:spit:

How true!!!!!!

:rofl:

I'M A BELIEVER
08-16-2004, 03:36 PM
You know, I finally decided today that I hate Drew......that is a big step for me but I finally admitted it....he really sucks and he has always been overrated.....
I GUARANTEE HE WILL SUCK COMPLETELY AFTER WEEK 8 AND MULARKY WON'T HAVE THE STONES TO YANK HIM.....
But to be objective.....this is ****** preseason......of course the whole team sucks the first time out.......you can't tell any ****** thing about the team from pre-season...
the players (especially the big fat dudes) aren't going full tilt.....and they don't really give a shinola....
Be honest with yourselves....

The Spaz
08-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by I'M A BELIEVER
You know, I finally decided today that I hate Drew......that is a big step for me but I finally admitted it....he really sucks and he has always been overrated.....
I GUARANTEE HE WILL SUCK COMPLETELY AFTER WEEK 8 AND MULARKY WON'T HAVE THE STONES TO YANK HIM.....
But to be objective.....this is ****** preseason......of course the whole team sucks the first time out.......you can't tell any ****** thing about the team from pre-season...
the players (especially the big fat dudes) aren't going full tilt.....and they don't really give a shinola....
Be honest with yourselves....
I disagree I think Mike Williams was awesome last night.:snicker:

The Natrix
08-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by I'M A BELIEVER

Sadly, this is how I see it as well. A promising 6-2 or 5-3 start followed by a typical Bledsoe terrible 2nd half. If he plays bad in the first half though, I think he will get benched.

DraftBoy
08-16-2004, 03:45 PM
If he plays bad in the first half though, I think he will get benched.

We can only pray

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Sadly, this is how I see it as well. A promising 6-2 or 5-3 start followed by a typical Bledsoe terrible 2nd half. If he plays bad in the first half though, I think he will get benched.

Unfortunately I don't think he will. TD is not one to yank people mid-season as we've already seen, and MM won't bite the hand that (force) feeds him.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately I don't think he will. TD is not one to yank people mid-season as we've already seen,
When did TD make himself head coach?

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
When did TD make himself head coach?

Let's not go over this again...

The Natrix
08-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Didn't TD name Drew the starter before the head coach was even hired?

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Didn't TD name Drew the starter before the head coach was even hired?

IIRC, yes. When you have a huge ego like his, you don't blow all that money and heap all that praise on him just to admit the mistake the following year. He is extremely inflexible in that regard. No, he is going to squeeze every last drop out of his decision on Drew until it is bone dry.

Jan Reimers
08-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Memo To All Drew Haters:

Losman is not ready to start in the NFL. Brown is a journeyman. Ergo, Drew will be our starting QB.

Get over it.

The Natrix
08-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Memo To All Drew Haters:

Losman is not ready to start in the NFL. Brown is a journeyman. Ergo, Drew will be our starting QB.

Get over it.

Well, I'm an optimist so I look at Losman as a capable rookie and Brown as a QB who has never got a fair shot. :up:

Jan Reimers
08-16-2004, 04:57 PM
No, you and others seem to hate Drew so much that you would rather see him fail than the Bills succeed.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 05:45 PM
No, you and others seem to hate Drew so much that you would rather see him fail than the Bills succeed.

:bf1: they talk about Bledsoe fans having their heads in the sand. That's a far better place than the alternative. ;)

saviorbledsoe
08-16-2004, 06:44 PM
The most rediculous thread of the new season by far. And at this point 64% picked Bledsoe so I guess that little poll blew up in your face.

casdhf
08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Bledsoe 22.... Losman 8 ....

Who were the three fools that picked Travis Brown? :rofl:

saviorbledsoe
08-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
Bledsoe 22.... Losman 8 ....

Who were the three fools that picked Travis Brown? :rofl:

im sure there are some on here who would rather see Rob Johnson in there yet.

The Natrix
08-16-2004, 08:39 PM
I Voted Bledsoe to coincide with my first post, but if I could take it back I'd pick Jeff Garcia.

HenryRules
08-16-2004, 09:11 PM
How about we do this ... let's not experiment and try to fix a failing offense until we actually lose games because of the putrid performance. That's a great way to have a good season.

The games mean nothing now, the first string doesn't play that much anyway ... why not mix a few other people in to see if it can give us a spark?

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 11:52 PM
How about we do this ... let's not experiment and try to fix a failing offense until we actually lose games because of the putrid performance. That's a great way to have a good season.

The games mean nothing now, the first string doesn't play that much anyway ... why not mix a few other people in to see if it can give us a spark?

:bf1:

So true. But that's too logical for the Ostriches. Besides, their ears are too full of sand to hear it anyway. ;)

Mr. Cynical
08-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Memo To All Drew Haters:

Get over it.

What you should be saying is "Drew will be our starting QB because we want him to be the starting QB and feel we can do well with him". Rather this memo puts him in there as a lesser of three evils.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Rather this memo puts him in there as a lesser of three evils.

No, Drew is,very simply, by far the best of our 3 QBs right now. Losman may really be great in a year or two, and Brown is a competent journeyman backup.

I can just accept reality. Do I wish we had Brett Favre or Payton Manning? Of course. Do I think we can win with Drew? Absolutely.

In fact, I think with better coaching, a consistent running attack, and a strong receiving corps, Drew will once again be a premier QB, even with an iffy O line.

I guess I'm more of a Bills fan than a hater of any particular player.

lordofgun
08-17-2004, 08:32 AM
:bf1:

So true. But that's too logical for the Ostriches. Besides, their ears are too full of sand to hear it anyway. ;)

what? :mods:

Jan Reimers
08-17-2004, 08:38 AM
I think we've beaten this dead horse until it's starting to stink.

lordofgun
08-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Drew is extremely handsome. No one can argue that.

Bill Brasky
08-17-2004, 08:47 AM
Jan Reimers is the only person making sense on this thread. Sometimes I really wonder if many of you even support this team, all you do is ***** about Bledsoe. This guy is not the best QB in the leauge, but I bet if you put Brett Farve behind this piece of **** we call an Offensive Line I guarentee he'd take just as many sacks. You all think Losman is the answer... the guy has thrown 5 ****ing passes in his career against a third string defense!!! I don't give a crap if he's mobile, the way our starting O-Line plays, the pocket collapses so fast that Michael Vick wouldn't be able to scramble out of it.

The entire offseason I've been waiting for this organization to address the O-Line issue and they did nothing to improve it when it was our biggest problem last year. All everybody wanted to do was blame it ALL on Drew Bledsoe. I don't know how many of you have played QB at any level of organized football, but it doesn't matter how skilled you are, you will NOT SUCCEED unless you have a good O-Line, and that is exactly what this team DOESN'T have. Now the preseason rolls around and everybody finally realizes that our line sucks. We've done nothing to help our QB's succeed - whether it's Drew, JP, or Brown. It doesn't matter who we put back there because as of right now nobody on the line can block a pee-wee player IMO.

If you many of you Bledsoe bashers can do a better job, go try out for the team and quitting putting the players down in every single thread.

lordofgun
08-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Jan Reimers is the only person making sense on this thread. Sometimes I really wonder if many of you even support this team, all you do is ***** about Bledsoe. This guy is not the best QB in the leauge, but I bet if you put Brett Farve behind this piece of **** we call an Offensive Line I guarentee he'd take just as many sacks. You all think Losman is the answer... the guy has thrown 5 ****ing passes in his career against a third string defense!!! I don't give a crap if he's mobile, the way our starting O-Line plays, the pocket collapses so fast that Michael Vick wouldn't be able to scramble out of it.

The entire offseason I've been waiting for this organization to address the O-Line issue and they did nothing to improve it when it was our biggest problem last year. All everybody wanted to do was blame it ALL on Drew Bledsoe. I don't know how many of you have played QB at any level of organized football, but it doesn't matter how skilled you are, you will NOT SUCCEED unless you have a good O-Line, and that is exactly what this team DOESN'T have. Now the preseason rolls around and everybody finally realizes that our line sucks. We've done nothing to help our QB's succeed - whether it's Drew, JP, or Brown. It doesn't matter who we put back there because as of right now nobody on the line can block a pee-wee player IMO.

If you many of you Bledsoe bashers can do a better job, go try out for the team and quitting putting the players down in every single thread.

Sorry...too long. :D

Jan Reimers
08-17-2004, 09:16 AM

Well said. I'm still hopeful that we can get some semblance of an Oline going by opening day. Regardless, I think Drew will be better than last year because of our offensive system and the weapons around him.

But we all know he's a pocket passer who needs a good Oline to really thrive.

mysticsoto
08-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Well I voted for Losman - not b'cse I'm a Drew hater, but b'cse I think this would help him develop faster. I'm not particularly fond of Travis Brown. He's an OK backup, but I wouldn't want to depend on him to win games. So, ideally, I'd like Losman to quickly develop into our #2 backup position.

I already know that Bledsoe knows the game. I know that deep inside he is capable of great things. He doesn't have a line to help him and that hurts him a great deal since he is a stay in the pocket and go down with the ship type of quarterback. If we had a great line, Bledsoe would be breaking Marino's records!!!

Once again, I chose Losman b'cse I'd like him to now get a taste of what 1st stringers can do vs 3rd stringers. And it works both ways...he will have faster defenders after him and a faster secondary covering - but he will also have access to Moulds, Evans and the entire 1st string receiver arsenal.

Let's get him some experience - who wants to rely on Travis B. if Bledsoe were to get hurt??? I'd much rather develop Losman quickly and depend on him if need be!!!

The_Philster
08-17-2004, 04:42 PM
I realy think throwing Losman in too soon could do him more harm than good. I'm hoping he gets a little bit of time in most of the games this year...bring him along slowly the way the Titans did with McNair

Mr. Cynical
08-17-2004, 07:23 PM
No, Drew is,very simply, by far the best of our 3 QBs right now.

That is exactly what I said. You aren't saying he is a great QB; you are saying he is better than the other two. Hence, the lesser of three evils.

I guess I'm more of a Bills fan than a hater of any particular player.

I want the Bills to win, and I am willing to make the changes that need to be made. No single player is more important than the team. So, IMO, Drew holds the team back, hence I want him out. That is not "hating Drew'. That's called "hating losing".

Hemlepp53
08-19-2004, 02:37 PM
LOOKS LIKE DREW GOT THIS POLL..... I'm Glad... Seems Like Some Faith Is Still Placed In Him

Throne Logic
08-20-2004, 05:49 AM
Who are you talking about when you say starters? Beyond Moulds and Travis (and Drew), everyone's spot in the depth chart is in question.

It's fairly simple, the way I see it. Play the offensive "starting candidates" the entire first half (there will still be plenty of room for rotation here). Start Drew and let him have the first two series. Let Brown have the next two, then let JP have the fifth and sixth. If there isn't time for this, then let the "starters" play a series in the second half.

This would give you a decent evaluation of who can do what. Best you could hope for, anyway.