PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun-o-Rama

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Looking at the first team's play selection we have:

1st Drive: Run, Pass, Shotgun, Shotgun...INT
2nd Drive: Run, Run, Shotgun...PUNT
3rd Drive: Run, Pass, Shotgun, Pass, Run, Run, Shotgun...FG

So that's 6 runs, 8 passes...5 of which were shotgun. Guess they are trying to give Drew every milisecond of time they can, although he still got sacked from that position (not only his fault I know)

P.S. Without seeing the game it is hard to say, but to those who did...does this look like a run oriented offense to you guys (42% run plays)?

First Drive:

1-10-DEN22 (13:27) T.Henry up the middle to DEN 22 for no gain (K.Kennedy, D.Spragan).
2-10-DEN22 (12:51) D.Bledsoe pass to D.Shelton to DEN 22 for no gain (K.Herndon).
3-10-DEN22 (12:07) (Shotgun)
PENALTY on BUF-M.Pucillo, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 22 - No Play.
3-15-DEN27 (11:50) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass intended for E.Moulds INTERCEPTED by W.Middlebrooks at DEN 1. .

Second Drive:

1-10-BUF39 (10:39) T.Henry right end pushed ob at BUF 39 for no gain (C.Bailey).
2-10-BUF39 (10:09) T.Henry right tackle to BUF 43 for 4 yards (A.Wilson).
3-6-BUF43 (9:24) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe sacked at BUF 35 for -8 yards (R.Johnson).

Third Drive:

1-10-DEN42 (7:24) T.Henry up the middle to DEN 41 for 1 yard (D.Williams, L.Elliss).
2-9-DEN41 (6:47) D.Bledsoe pass to T.Henry to DEN 36 for 5 yards (C.Bailey). Dump pass left, caught at DEN 45.
3-4-DEN36 (6:04) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to E.Moulds to DEN 29 for 7 yards (K.Herndon). Caught at DEN 29, right flat.
1-10-DEN29 (5:21) D.Bledsoe pass to J.Reed ran ob at DEN 14 for 15 yards. Caught along right sideline at DEN 14.
1-10-DEN14 (4:55) T.Henry up the middle to DEN 11 for 3 yards (D.Spragan, J.Lynch).
2-7-DEN11 (4:17) T.Henry right tackle to DEN 13 for -2 yards (D.Spragan, A.Wilson).
3-9-DEN13 (3:35) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass incomplete (L.Elliss). Pass batted at line.

The Spaz
08-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Looks pretty balanced to me. Not 80 20 like last year.

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Wow...I must be tired. I just realized they got 38 total yards on three series, and two of those series started in Denver territory (22 and 42).

HenryRules
08-15-2004, 11:12 PM
It looks like a run-based offense to me - just one with an unsuccessful running game.

Passes on:
2-10, 3-10, 3-15, 3-6, 2-9, 3-4, 1-10, 3-9.

We also ran the ball on a 2-10.

I'd say that we passed when the distance dictated and ran when possible - save for a couple of times where we mixed it up.

Bill Brasky
08-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Wow...I must be tired. I just realized they got 38 total yards on three series, and two of those series started in Denver territory (22 and 42).

This isn't the super bowl. They were most likely working on plays that they might have been having problems with at the camps or at practice. I'm sure they weren't sitting there going "oh sweet, we have the ball on the 22, let's score and win a meaningless preseason game and blow out the Broncos"...

Preseason is a chance to work out gliches against another team in the league other than your own defense which you see every day at practice, not to run plays you know will work in order to win.

DraftBoy
08-15-2004, 11:18 PM
exactly what plays do we know will work? Oh yea thats right not a damn one.

HenryRules
08-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
This isn't the super bowl. They were most likely working on plays that they might have been having problems with at the camps or at practice. I'm sure they weren't sitting there going "oh sweet, we have the ball on the 22, let's score and win a meaningless preseason game and blow out the Broncos"...

Preseason is a chance to work out gliches against another team in the league other than your own defense which you see every day at practice, not to run plays you know will work in order to win.

With the horrible performance of our offense last year and Drew's confidence problems at the end of the season ... I'd think that putting up a TD or two is something we should try and do in the preseason. If Mularkey isn't trying to do that (and I seriously doubt that he's trying to run plays that he doesn't think will succeed), I seriously question his plan for rebuilding Drew.

Practice is a chance to work out the problems in the game ... exhibition games are a chance to evaluate your team. You may not pull out all the bags of tricks, but you can't evaluate your players unless you're giving them some sort of chance to succeed. You definitely can't evaluate them if you're setting them up to fail.

ScottLawrence
08-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Well.... The running game didn't exactly work as planned tonight.

Henry-5 carries 5 yards.:(

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman

I don't follow your logic. No matter if it is preseason, regular season, playoffs or the SB, the goal of the game is to score. In order to score, you need to run the most effective plays. So, you work out "glitches" by running those plays.

Originally posted by DraftBoy
exactly what plays do we know will work? Oh yea thats right not a damn one.

:rofl:

Brian Cohen
08-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Without seeing the game it is hard to say, but to those who did...does this look like a run oriented offense to you guys (42% run plays)?

First Drive:
3-10-DEN22 (12:07) (Shotgun)
PENALTY on BUF-M.Pucillo, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 22 - No Play.
3-15-DEN27 (11:50) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass intended for E.Moulds INTERCEPTED by W.Middlebrooks at DEN 1. .

Second Drive:
3-6-BUF43 (9:24) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe sacked at BUF 35 for -8 yards (R.Johnson).

Third Drive:
3-4-DEN36 (6:04) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass to E.Moulds to DEN 29 for 7 yards (K.Herndon). Caught at DEN 29, right flat.
3-9-DEN13 (3:35) (Shotgun) D.Bledsoe pass incomplete (L.Elliss). Pass batted at line. [/B]

Holy Crap Mr. Moron!!!!

They went shotgun on 3 and 10, 3 and 15, 3 and 6, 3 and 4, and 3 and 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They definitely should have gone with the high percentage dive play on those downs!!!!!!!!!!! Please give the address and phone number of your highly prestigious football school so we can take up a pledge drive and send the coaching staff there [/sarcasm off]

idiot

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Brian Cohen
Holy Crap Mr. Moron!!!!

They went shotgun on 3 and 10, 3 and 15, 3 and 6, 3 and 4, and 3 and 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They definitely should have gone with the high percentage dive play on those downs!!!!!!!!!!! Please give the address and phone number of your highly prestigious football school so we can take up a pledge drive and send the coaching staff there [/sarcasm off]

idiot

A) You may want to learn to read numbers. It was 3rd and 9, not 3rd and 13.

B) You may want to check the NFL rulebook. Last time I checked the shotgun formation was not a pre-requisite for throwing a pass. If this has changed please let us know.

C) You may want to look up the TOS.

Have a nice day. :up:

Brian Cohen
08-16-2004, 02:23 AM
1. oh crap it was 3rd and 9 from the 13 not 3rd and 13-----your point is entirely validated moron!!!!!

2. what's your point???? It's not mandated, so it shouldn't be used when valid????

3. I'll refer to the TOS when you make a valid post instead of an insipid, invalid, inane rant.

You are a moron moron moron

have a crappy day, enjoy your crappy job

saviorbledsoe
08-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Brian Cohen
1. oh crap it was 3rd and 9 from the 13 not 3rd and 13-----your point is entirely validated moron!!!!!

2. what's your point???? It's not mandated, so it shouldn't be used when valid????

3. I'll refer to the TOS when you make a valid post instead of an insipid, invalid, inane rant.

You are a moron moron moron

have a crappy day, enjoy your crappy job

:rofl: