PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on game

Tatonka
08-16-2004, 12:06 AM
my analysis:

drew bledsoe was definately releasing the ball faster. it looks like our rbs will DEFINATELY be more involved in the game plan. lots of dump offs and swing passes.

drew did not play that bad, the oline (1st string) looked very very bad in all aspects of the game.. ****ty run blocking and ****ty pass blocking.. most of the pressure came from inside (ie pucillo and teague). not a good sign, although denvers dline is decent.

travis brown looked very good.. 2nd string O verus 2nd string D. he made a number of good reads and got rid of the ball quick. looked accurate and poised.

jp losman looked great. the training camp stories of his inaccuracy didnt show through in this game.. he was by far the best passer in the game tonight.. people will say "well that was against the 3rd string D".. well it was also WITH the 3rd string offense.. the only WR that didnt have a number in the teens was coleman.

eric moulds should have had a TD.. most of the time, he makes that catch. it wasnt a great pass from drew.. i think if he would have led moulds it is a td.. but it was probably a designed underthrow.. the db got lucky and the ball fell into his hands basically. moulds was seen dancing on the sidelines later in the game. i have no worries about him having a good season.

josh reed... i think he impressed me more than anyone tonight, besides jp and willis. he looked VERY good against the starting special teams units. both of his run backs were great. he made several people miss and i think the worst starting position with him returning kickoffs was the 33. he also made a couple very good catches. he is going to end up being a very good number 2. i am hopeful about him, evans and aiken as our future.

sam aiken - did he play? i almost want to say he did not.. because i never saw him on the field once...

*** note - aiken did not dress for the game. i would assume he had some kind of minor pull that was not announced, so they were just being precautionary.

mike williams started at RT.

marcus price was in for the second half of the game and was overheard on the sound clip telling the ref "lets hurry up and get this over so we can get home to our wifes" with about 2 minutes left in the game. was pretty funny.

Meyers (wr) caught everything jp threw his way. and then pointed to the sky after each catch.. i guess he was praying to god that someone would sign him after he gets cut. he has no chance to make the team.

tim euhus made a great catch and then got a welcome to the nfl shot that looked like it knocked him loopy.. but bounced back up quick. he also made a couple nice blocks that the commentators pointed out.

lee evans was in with the first stringers.. he was invisible, but only had one ball thrown his way. he dropped it.

willis mcgahee looked great.. for a guy coming back after 19 months.. i could not have been more happy.

travis henry was stuffed all night.. but the oline gave him NOTHING to work with.

the 1st string defense looked dominant. i mean great.. but the broncos dropped at least 4 passes of plummers. they still looked very aggressive.. there will definately be a noticable spike in turnovers and sacks.

chris kelsay looked very very good. his sack was pure speed and hussle. he was geeked when he got up after chasing plummer down. he looks like he put on some more mass.

ryan denny looked very good. :eek: he caught that INT like he was a TE. he was strong on run plays too. he is not as worthless as most make him out to be.

sam adams shot through the line twice that i counted.. both times were lightning fast.. he didnt get the sacks but caused a major disruption. he can still bring it when he wants too.

ryan lindell looked strong on all three kicks and kickoffs.. maybe the injury last year really affected him more than we gave credit for. hopefully we will see why we paid him so much this year.

Takeo Spikes looked like TKO.. he is a beast.

kevin thomas made 2 nice pass break ups and leveled one guy, ala winifield.. submarined the guys legs.

that said.. terance mcgee will win the nickle back spot. he looked strong.

izelle reese got *****ed by chamberlain on the sidelines.. laid on his back as chamberlain shouldered him and went out of bounds. he is NOT the answer at FS.. he is just nothing more than average and never will be.

that said.. coy wire is not ready. they actually had him at SS tonight some too. he made a couple nice tackles.. but i didnt see him make a play in the passing game.. he did miss one tackle up at the line of scrimmage.. the guy ran through it... which doesnt happen to coy often.

rashad baker looked like the best FS on our roster to me. he would have had a pick if prileou didnt jump and tip it right before it got to him. it was a bad pass but baker was in position.

angello crowell and josh stamer looked like good back ups at the LB position.

mike mularkey did just fine in his first head coaching gig.. my gut tells me he is going to be a good one. i hope i am right.

so to sum it up.

1st string O - they will be fine if the Oline gets their **** together. seriously.. that is the only weakness that i saw in our game.

the offense will absolutely be a run first offense.. you could see it in the playcalling.. and if our oline can at least pull together on the run blocking, which has never been a problem in the past, i believe it will lessen the pressure on the pass blocking because teams will be a bit more hesitant to rush so hard.

also, expect the RBs to have a significant jump in the receptions this year. lots of dump passes, screens and swing passes.

that is about all i can think of at the moment.. overall i feel good about what i saw tonight. our offense cant be worse than last year.. and our defense will be better.

this is a 9-7 team that could be better if the oline improves.

my prediction. 10-6 and a playoff appearance.

feel free to ask quesitons if you couldnt catch the game.

:up:

gimpy
08-16-2004, 12:37 AM
good post.. I agree with most of your observations and have a few additions..

Antonio Brown: Only had one KO return but almost took it to the house. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Gildon: Was roaming all over the place, rushed and dropped back in coverage.

Shelton: Blocked well, but the OL's struggles made his job tough.

Tim Anderson: Consistently beat his man, ruining the opposing QB's day.

Mitchell & Trafford: Will be among the first cuts.

Constantine Ritzman: Consistently beat his man on the outside, unfortunately he was playing against the 3rd string LT.

Rashad Baker will be the starting FS by week 10.

Dozerdog
08-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Pretty much what i saw at the game.

Kelsay and Baker played great!

Reed was good on the returns.

Denny's interception fooled everyone in the upper deck. No one beleived it-

"Was it 92? 82? No way it was 62!!!!"

He dropped back and caught it in stride

Jan Reimers
08-16-2004, 06:12 AM
I was encouraged by how crisp and decisive our O was, no matter which personnel were in. It makes our O line problems much less apparent. You can really see the difference in coaching.

I also think that Chryan Densay will make a pretty good LDE.

Earthquake Enyart
08-16-2004, 06:23 AM
It was good to see them throw swing passes to the backs and screens (need work).

The first sack on Drew was totally Pucillo's fault. His guy blew by him like he was a traffic cone, Drew had to avoid him and the LDE sacked him. The O line play was still not very good.

McGahee is elusive in close quarters, and you could see him gain confidence as the game goes on.

We have to find a way to keep Rashun Baker. That guy brings the lumber.

Liked Brown's return, even though a penalty brought it back. Reed did ok, but Brown has a chance to be special.

Wire looked lost. Evans was lost. Losman looks good. That deep out was a thing of beauty. The kid has a gun.

saviorbledsoe
08-16-2004, 06:25 AM
I totally agree Tatonka!!!

If that pass to Moulds wasnt wrestled away and he takes it in for the TD.....every neysayer would be saying the O was great.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
mike williams started at RT.

marcus price was in for the second half of the game and was overheard on the sound clip telling the ref "lets hurry up and get this over so we can get home to our wifes" with about 2 minutes left in the game. was pretty funny.
:huh: what were you watching? Marcus Price started at RT and left the game early...don't know if it was anything serious or not. Marques Sullivan played at RT pretty much the rest of the way.

finsrclowns
08-16-2004, 07:06 AM
Last year I watched all the games (and sometimes more than once) and every week I'd ask myself- "are the coaches WATCHING this film"? It was like a slow motion car crash.

The ONLY thing I'm interested in right now is the OL, because if it doesn't make a quantum leap forward, nothing else really matters. Pucillo sucks. Teague sucks. I have no hope for Teague being replaced, but I'm already, after 1 preseason game, tired of Puccillo because I was WAY tired of him last year. If he stays in the lineup I'm betting he costs TD his job.

Tatonka
08-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
:huh: what were you watching? Marcus Price started at RT and left the game early...don't know if it was anything serious or not. Marques Sullivan played at RT pretty much the rest of the way.

i was almost positive that he was out there with the starting unit.. and the announcers said he was, as well as listing his name as a starter on the screen.

:idunno:

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-16-2004, 07:22 AM
A couple of my observations:

1. The 1st team defense played good. It was great to see some turnovers.

2. Denver will never make the playoffs with Jake Plummer as their QB.

3. Willis McGahee can pick up blitzers.

4. There is still a lot of traffic around the stadium 10 minutes before kickoff.

5. There are some pretty nice looking women in Buffalo.

6. The O-line might need more than a miracle.

7. Denver got the better deal in the Clinton Portis trade. Portis is overrated anyway. I am beginning to think that any RB can get 1,000 yards in Denver.

8. The shout song has gotten very old.

9. Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denny played good. One play that sticks out was when Kelsay drove the RT back about 5 yards and he tripped up the Denver RB for a loss.

10. I thought Terrence McGee had a nice game.

11. New captain of special teams might just be Dominic Stevens.

12. I felt good watching football again.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 07:24 AM
i was almost positive that he was out there with the starting unit.. and the announcers said he was, as well as listing his name as a starter on the screen.

:idunno:
They didn't know what they were talking about. Who the heck were these guys? I sit right next to the tunnel and watched Marcus Price come to the locker room (I think) at the end of the 1st quarter or thereabouts. Price started, Sullivan replaced him.
Here's (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20040815_DEN@BUF) the gamebook from NFL.com

Earthquake Enyart
08-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Sobieski looked better than Teague.

And yes, Willis can pick up a blitz.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Yeah, Price was limping off about midway throught the 2nd quarter. I was in section 124 row 26 - seat 6 last night philster.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
Yeah, Price was limping off about midway throught the 2nd quarter. I was in section 124 row 26 - seat 6 last night philster. You shoulda stopped by :up:

ryjam282
08-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Nice post T,

First off let me just say JP Losman has a friggin cannon. I mean, that playfake was pretty darn good too, then WHIP, a bullet 30 yards downfield. Very nice to see him do so well. I just hope he learns the QB slide soon. Jimbo used to try that lowering your head stuff too, then he smartened up.

Willis looked just great to me. Being a Hurricane fan, it just brings a smile to my face to see him playing again and especially for my favorite team again too. But, I told you guys, the kid can do it all, run, block, and catch. He picked up the blitz like an absolute champ last night and he caught the ball well too (he had one drop but he tried to run before he caught it). He was looking very timid the first few carries then after the first little cutback on the draw play he was fine. Speed is still there and has plenty of power as well. Loved it.

First team D what can I say? They looked great. First game of the preseason and they played very well. How awesome is TKO? D-line got some good push and the DB's looked good as well. McGee looked great with his tackles, looked like Winfield. Going for the legs is the way to go. I liked how we shut them down in the redzone all night too. Very nice to see. No where to go but up with these guys.

As far as O-line goes, I will just say that it was the first preseason game and I hope they just need some time to get on track. I will leave it at that......

PS, I loved Travis's tackle after Drew's INT on the sideline....Taking that guys head off, that was nice.

Overall, I will agree with Tatonka on this one, 9-7 and probably 10-6 and playoffs. But, we lose in the first game.....Again, nice post T, very good insight.

tampabay25690
08-16-2004, 08:06 AM
THnaks for the great post, I got to see ESPN and all they are talking about is WILLIS........It really sucks for Travis now and now all the rumors about him wanting to leave if he is not the starter.......Well Thanks for the post....

justasportsfan
08-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282

9-7 and probably 10-6 . But, we lose in the first game..... My dog ate your Jersey :mad:

Michael82
08-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
My dog ate your Jersey :mad:

:gag:

BAM
08-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Travis isn't going anywhere, you guys are ****ing nuts :up:

Mr. Miyagi
08-16-2004, 08:24 AM

4. There is still a lot of traffic around the stadium 10 minutes before kickoff.

8. The shout song has gotten very old.

:rofl:

I hope the coaches would keep those points in mind when watching film this morning. :D

NC-BILLS44
08-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Marcus Price wasn't in the game when they heard the comments about getting home to their wives. Fouts blew the call, then kept saying it was Marcus. The comment came from either Porter #71 or Smith #72.

ryjam282
08-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
My dog ate your Jersey :mad:

Originally posted by Mikey82
:gag:

:2guns: I hope this wasn't another of your guys practical jokes......:D

Tatonka
08-16-2004, 08:42 AM
so williams did not play at all?

Tatonka
08-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Nice post T,

.....Again, nice post T, very good insight.

Originally posted by tampabay25690
THnaks for the great post

:bravo:

Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
Marcus Price wasn't in the game when they heard the comments about getting home to their wives. Fouts blew the call, then kept saying it was Marcus. The comment came from either Porter #71 or Smith #72.

thanks for the clarification. :up:

BigZ
08-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Nice post T.

Listened to most of the game on radio and missed the news. Your summary was the next best thing to seeing it.

O line makes me nervous. Hopefully seeing how ***tty they were on film will give them something to work on. My guess is that this is where McNally shines - showing them their game mistakes and how to avoid them.

ryjam282
08-16-2004, 08:51 AM
so williams did not play at all?

Link to the article (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/9411698.htm)

Bottom of the article

Notes:@ Bills OT Mike Williams (right foot) did not play. ... CB Terrence McGee and DE Ryan Denney had interceptions for Buffalo. ... The Broncos opened the preseason at 0-2 for the first time since 1986.

juice
08-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Reese was in on alot of Tackles and played solid at FS.. Big Mike did play early, maybe the second or third possession.

Hemlepp53
08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the input guys... I need NFL NETWORK!!!

Michael82
08-16-2004, 09:13 AM
:2guns: I hope this wasn't another of your guys practical jokes......:D

:couch:

wazz
08-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Big mike did not play.

the radio announcers anounced that he was starting, but he didn't. even bb.com is saying he didn't play. so he didn't play

DraftBoy
08-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey T, you said Baker would have had a pick if PP didnt tip it, who was playing FS at that time. Bc Baker is very versatile and was wondering if they were using him at CB too or if PP had been switched back to SS and Baker at FS. Anyways just wondering, let me know please. Good write up though, thx alot

LtBillsFan66
08-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Good post. I agree with everything.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by juice
Big Mike did play early, maybe the second or third possession.

No he didn't. Look at the gamebook (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20040815_DEN@BUF)
4. There is still a lot of traffic around the stadium 10 minutes before kickoff. They need to do away with that 4-hour rule :mad:

Oh yeah :hubba: And we've got a nice crew on the squad this year. :up:

Yeah it felt great :up:

One negative is the new security company. Yeah, most of the old security guards signed on with the new company...but my crew seems to be broken up. Thomas, who watches Sam Adams' luxury box might not be back according to one guy I recognized, Michael seems to be stationed elsewhere, but Kelly will be back next week. :up:

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Yes, and those new shirts are very ugly.

Tatonka
08-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by juice
Reese was in on alot of Tackles and played solid at FS..

reese got three tackles total.. so if three tackles = ALOT.. then yeah.. he was in on ALOT of tackles.. and one of those "tackles" was him getting *****ed on the sidelines by chamberlain as he strolled out of bounds, laughing at reese laying on his back.

Originally posted by DraftBoy
Hey T, you said Baker would have had a pick if PP didnt tip it, who was playing FS at that time. Bc Baker is very versatile and was wondering if they were using him at CB too or if PP had been switched back to SS and Baker at FS. Anyways just wondering, let me know please. Good write up though, thx alot

baker was at FS.. PP was at strong safety. they have moved him back.

baker was not at corner that i saw. on that specific play.. baker was playing centerfield.. and he was coming up from deep to cut in front of the receiver and snag the int.. PP dropped back from close to the line of scrimmage and jumped about 8 feet in the damn air and tipped it.. not knowing that baker was right behind him.. i think they actually bumped into each other on the way down.

cordog
08-16-2004, 10:33 AM

mike mularkey did just fine in his first head coaching gig.. my gut tells me he is going to be a good one. i hope i am right.

[/B]

I agree with you, unlike years prior, i dont even consider the coaching to be a concern

saviorbledsoe
08-16-2004, 10:37 AM

2. Denver will never make the playoffs with Jake Plummer as their QB.

they did last year

Sabre Ally
08-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Yeah, Price was limping off about midway throught the 2nd quarter. I was in section 124 row 26 - seat 6 last night philster. Hey, you're not too far from my seat. Will you be sitting there regularly?

ShadowHawk7
08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
[/B]

He was actually talking to J.P., telling him not to go out of bounds to stop time, lol.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
they did last year

I stand corrected, THEY WON'T WIN A SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!

ShadowHawk7
08-16-2004, 12:16 PM
I think EM makes that play 4 outta 5 times.

Tatonka
08-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
I think EM makes that play 4 outta 5 times.

NO WAY!..

more like 9 outa 10.

:D

The Spaz
08-16-2004, 12:18 PM
NO WAY!..

more like 9 outa 10.

:D

No damn it it's completely Bledsoe's fault.:snicker:

Billsouth
08-16-2004, 12:25 PM
i agree with everything except while the line was not good it was not as bad as everyone made it out to be. honestly, pucillo played better than i thought he would. the sack came from the guy that beat marcus price. also, puccilo pulled a couple of times and cleared the way, including willis' touchdown run.

while, the o-line needs improvement it looked better than at the end of last year and hopefully will get much better by the start of the season.

Tatonka
08-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
No damn it it's completely Bledsoe's fault.:snicker:

bledsoe basher!

:mad: