PDA

View Full Version : McGahee makes an early run at No. 1 job

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 06:10 AM
As teammate after teammate came up to Willis McGahee to congratulate him for scoring his first NFL touchdown, Travis Henry stood alone, his red ball cap pulled low over his eyes.
It was hard for Henry not to feel like the guy at the office party who forgot his deodorant. Or the big brother on the day his new baby brother came home from the hospital.

Just then, veteran wide receiver Eric Moulds extended his hand to Henry and the two did a soft stroke of palms. Moulds' gesture seemed to say, “Hang in there, Travis. You're still our main man.”..more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/08169P586HT_sports.shtml)

Jan Reimers
08-16-2004, 06:27 AM
The media - including the three stiffs doing last night's game on the NFL Network - just can't help themselves. They have to create a controversy where none exists.

Quite frankly, I don't think McGahee is ready to be a feature back at this point. Despite a good performance in our first preseason game, he appeared to be somewhat tentative and did not display the blazing speed that he had before the injury.

The Bills would do well to ignore the media, stick with their plan of having Henry as their number 1 RB, and bringing Willis along a little more slowly than the media might like.

Willis will in all likelihood be our number 1 guy in the future - but probably not this season.

saviorbledsoe
08-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
The media - including the three stiffs doing last night's game on the NFL Network - just can't help themselves. They have to create a controversy where none exists.

Quite frankly, I don't think McGahee is ready to be a feature back at this point. Despite a good performance in our first preseason game, he appeared to be somewhat tentative and did not display the blazing speed that he had before the injury.

The Bills would do well to ignore the media, stick with their plan of having Henry as their number 1 RB, and bringing Willis along a little more slowly than the media might like.

Willis will in all likelihood be our number 1 guy in the future - but probably not this season.

i was just about to type that :)

these jerks cant think of anything better to write or talk about other than crap to bait poor Travis. I just hope he avoids reading the papers.

Hemlepp53
08-16-2004, 06:45 AM
Willis needs a FULL Season before taking over starter position... Henry should be with us for the season... Willis needs to mature on the playing field and mentally prepare himself for what is expected...

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-16-2004, 07:01 AM
The only controversy I see is a QB one.

clumping platelets
08-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Henry is the starter!

BAM
08-16-2004, 07:34 AM
**** the media :up:

ryjam282
08-16-2004, 07:42 AM
I agree, I mean on ESPN last night they talked about it too, they said. Henry said if he loses the #1 job he wants out, and by looking at the games stats it looks like he is on his way out..........I mean come on, McGahee is great, he looked good. Picked up blocks very well and all that but he is just not ready for 20 carries a game yet. Who knows in a month where he will be but not now. Henry is our guy and I wish everyone in the media would just leave it alone....By the way, how good did Losman look? What a cannon.

I'M A BELIEVER
08-16-2004, 07:44 AM
McGahee is NOT ready to play 16 games and 4 playoff games (note the optimistic tone of this post) as an every down back. The Bills success this year hinges on Henry carrying the load and McGahee being there for a change of pace, to spell Henry and to freak Defenses out in a two back set.

Think of the Red Zone possibilities with McGahee and Henry in the backfield, Losman at QB due to his running threat, Moulds, Evans and Reed split wide. That package would be a real ***** to defend....

SO...what I am saying is that Henry is vital to this team and there is no way he isn't here and isn't the feature back this season...next season, who knows.....

But look at how great the Panthers had it with Foster spelling Davis last year....it can work if Henry just sacks up and does his job...

wazz
08-16-2004, 09:42 AM
hmmm.... funny how idiots write that, yet Henry said this...

"Among the first to high-five McGahee when he returned to the sideline was starting running back Travis Henry. "This is about the team," said Henry. "This is not about me, this is not about Willis. We’re focusing on some big things.""

wazz
08-16-2004, 09:42 AM
sorry, that's from bb.com

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by wazz
hmmm.... funny how idiots write that, yet Henry said this...

"Among the first to high-five McGahee when he returned to the sideline was starting running back Travis Henry. "This is about the team," said Henry. "This is not about me, this is not about Willis. We’re focusing on some big things."" Yeah...it's interesting how people say he was down about McGahee's play and his overall reception from the crowd. Coming through the tunnel, he seemed pretty upbeat. :up: