PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about the Defense.

Throne Logic
08-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Preseason is just that, preseason. Furthermore, this was only the first preseason game. But there were a couple of things that concerned me. I plan to pay particular attention to these concerns as the preseason continues and the real games begin.

I had the distinct feeling that Jake and Co. defeated themselves more than Buffalo's Defense disrupted them. We'll just have to wait and see if things improve over the next 3 preseason games.

1) Pass coverage was not all that great. Plummer's targets had 4 dropped balls. These targets were open. If those balls were caught, Denver's Offense would have rolled down for a TD. As Terrell Davis explained, it's a rythme-based offense. Dropped balls and penalties destroy that rythme.

2) As it's been stated, against the run, there were issues. Without too much rehash, I'll leave it with Sam, Pat, Spikes, and Fletcher should not have this much trouble with the middle runs.

3) I'm also concerned about the pass rush. The first play was a sack, yes, but it took 5 or 6 seconds for that to happen. I'm not so sure it was due to "blanket coverage", either, based upon what I saw in the following plays. We still seem to require elaborate blitzing in order to get pressure on the QB. The D-Line plus one LB should be able to get more pressure than they did.

Noteables:

Lawyer Milloy lost his shorts on a juke during an RB sweep to the left.

Coy Wire looked awful in both pursuit and in tackling against the Denver scrubs.

I'm sure preseason had much to do with some of this. But these problems existed last season. Perhaps some of this is just a matter of putting in the correct schemes for "real" games. But individual matchups are still individual matchups. I'm just still not sold on this D being top 5 material quite yet. I felt that last year's "rating" was misleading. Stats are fun, but do not tell whole stories. We'll see how the rest of preseason pans out.

ShadowHawk7
08-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Good post, and I agree with most of it, I'll be wating these area's a lot closer in the next game.

RedEyE
08-16-2004, 04:38 PM
I tend to agree with some of your points and disagree with others.

I watched the game last night and think the D played rather well.

While I do believe that Plummer and his receivers were not in synch, the Bills were solid and disruptive enough to keep the Broncos from geling all night.

#1: They kept the Broncos out of the endzone. Can't ask for more than that.

#2: Blitzing. The blitzing scheme was solid and the Broncos had some real difficult times picking it up. When Plummer wasn't being hurried out of the pocket, he was lying on his back from a sacks and near sacks.

#3: Defending the rush. Griffin had only one large gain through the middle of the Bills D (A Posey mistackle handed a big first down to Denver). The rest of the gained yardage was around the ends....which wasn't an easy task.

Coy did look like ****.

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Coy did look like ****.

That's a real bummer to hear. :(

Throne Logic
08-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
That's a real bummer to hear. :(

Don't give up on him yet. He was in with the scrub team. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

We'll see how he does in the future.

HenryRules
08-16-2004, 09:34 PM
The pass rush is pretty vanilla right now ... they won't throw in all the wrinkles until the regular season, so I'm not too concerned.