PDA

View Full Version : Overrated-underrated players since 1979

BillyT92679
08-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Who would all of you put on a most overrated/most underrated team from say 1979 to now? Pick five players a piece.

Overrated
Terrell Davis
Kurt Warner
Dan Hampton
Zach Thomas
Michael Irvin

Underrated
David Krieg
Bernie Kosar
Andre Tippett
Art Monk
Andre Reed

THATHURMANATOR
08-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Terrell Davis Overratted?

BillyT92679
08-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I'd do the five overrated/underrated Bills too, but that would be more difficult.

BillyT92679
08-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Terrell Davis Overratted?

Yes, I believe Alex Gibbs and that o-line deserved a lion's share of the credit... Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson got at least a grand themselves. Clinton Portis is better than Davis was.

casdhf
08-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Warren Moon was mad over rated.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
Yes, I believe Alex Gibbs and that o-line deserved a lion's share of the credit... Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson got at least a grand themselves. Clinton Portis is better than Davis was.

Davis got 2000 though

alohabillsfan
08-16-2004, 06:11 PM

C'mon, when does 62.5 yards per game make a running back? Would you be satisfied with TH or WM getting 62.5 YPG? The 1000 yard rusher is the most overrated stat in the NFL

kardshark19
08-16-2004, 07:09 PM
i hate the fins too, but zach thomas isn't overrated. he is a solid MLB, and his name isn't raised on a banner or anything. now urlacher is overrated.

RedEyE
08-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Deion Sanders should top that overrated list.

Marino13Phins
08-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Who would all of you put on a most overrated/most underrated team from say 1979 to now? Pick five players a piece.

Overrated
Terrell Davis
Kurt Warner
Dan Hampton
Zach Thomas
Michael Irvin

Underrated
David Krieg
Bernie Kosar
Andre Tippett
Art Monk
Andre Reed

Thomas is not over rated, for a guy that went so late in the draft, he has played among the top MLB's in the league. I fail to see how he is over rated.

casdhf
08-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Junior Seau has been the most overrated player in the league the last few years.

Novacane
08-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Terrell Owens

BillyT92679
08-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by alohabillsfan
C'mon, when does 62.5 yards per game make a running back? Would you be satisfied with TH or WM getting 62.5 YPG? The 1000 yard rusher is the most overrated stat in the NFL

Originally posted by The_Philster
Davis got 2000 though
I still think if you put Davis behind a lesser o-line, and he is a competent but not superb running back. Barry Sanders is the ne plus ultra of running backs... he played behind a militantly average o-line and busted off 2 K.

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 09:03 PM
I won't argue that Davis would have gotten 2000 yards with a different O-line..it's ludicrous. But it's a combination of the talent and coaching at O-line and RB. If it were all on the O-line and coaches and not due to the player at all, everyone would get 2000 yards

BillyT92679
08-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I won't argue that Davis would have gotten 2000 yards with a different O-line..it's ludicrous. But it's a combination of the talent and coaching at O-line and RB. If it were all on the O-line and coaches and not due to the player at all, everyone would get 2000 yards

We are looking at the prism from different angles. I certainly believe that Davis was an above-average to very good running back. He possessed an outstanding cut-back move which more than offset his lack of blazing speed. I'm not stating that Davis does not deserve lauds; I am stating that this rush to canonize him as a HOFer is premature, and that he was overrated by football pundits. It's self-evident to say that to get 2,000 yards the running back has to have talent and determination.

HenryRules
08-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Deion Sanders should top that overrated list.

What???

He's hands down the best return man ever (there can be no dispute in that).

He's hands down the best cover corner of his generation (again, no dispute).

What does he need to do? If your corners are integral to your run D, your front 7 sucks.

BillyT92679
08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Anybody remember Andre Tippett by the way? He was a heck of a player for the Patsies; he's got a hundred career sacks.

HenryRules
08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I say Eddie George as overrated.

I never saw that much in that guy at all - he hasn't had too many seasons where he's been any better than mediocre.

Historian
08-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Underrated Bills:

Jim Ritcher
Joe Devlin
Rob Riddick

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Terrell Davis was a great back IMO. HoF? That's debatable with such a short career. Yes he had a great line, but TD still had to have the moves, power and speed to take advantage of it. Not to mention his open field running which is all him, not the oline. Had he stayed healthy I bet he would have been a lock for the HoF.

Yes, Barry was an amazing back, one of the best to ever play the position. Nobody had his moves or ability to make people look silly. I don't think he was overrated, but....he wasn't without his faults either. If you look at his *median* average and not his mean, you will see a very different story. -2, -5, 3, 4, 80, 4, -3, 70, etc. Say what you will but that can be a liability as well. Personally I would rather have a Payton where you knew you were going to get yards on a more consistent basis. He was, IMHO, the greatest back who ever laced them up.

Michael Irvin was overrated IMO.

Bill Brasky
08-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I say Eddie George as overrated.

I never saw that much in that guy at all - he hasn't had too many seasons where he's been any better than mediocre.

7 out of 8 seasons over 1,000 yards?... five of those he got nearly over 1300... if 1300 is mediocre then I guess Henry's 1st two years were lackluster.

Parrotfish
08-17-2004, 01:45 AM
Overrated

Jeff Bostic
Emmitt Smith
Cornelius Bennett
Derrick Thomas
John Offerdahl

Underrated

Jim Plunkett
Seth Joyner
Joe Klecko
Darryl Talley
Bert Jones

HenryRules
08-17-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by jfreeman
7 out of 8 seasons over 1,000 yards?... five of those he got nearly over 1300... if 1300 is mediocre then I guess Henry's 1st two years were lackluster.
How many carries did he have those years? 520?

Earthquake Enyart
08-17-2004, 07:15 AM

Overrated
Terrell Davis
Kurt Warner
Dan Hampton
Zach Thomas
Michael Irvin

Underrated
David Krieg
Bernie Kosar
Andre Tippett
Art Monk
Andre Reed

You obviously never saw Dan Hampton play. He was a monster.

In 79 OJ was way overrated for us to get all those draft picks for him.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2004, 07:22 AM
I hate to say it, but Ruben Brown would be on my overrated list.

Bill Brasky
08-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
How many carries did he have those years? 520?

Actually his career avg is somewhere around 3.7 or 3.8 which is normal. Emmitt Smith is suppossedly the "greatest back of all time" and his career avg. is right around 4.

George is more of a physical back.

My overrated list would def. have --

Keyshawn Johnson - What has he done other than run his mouth?
Warren Sapp - See above. statistically one of the worst tackles in the game
Duante Culpepper - Turnover machine.

I known I will get lynched for this one but I'd also put Vick on my list. Yes, the guy is a superb athlete and obviously can take over a game, but when you look at his numbers he has one of the worst completion percentages in the NFL. Plus people basically say he's reinvented the NFL -- he's only played a season's worth of games in his career. If you compare him to guys like Culpepper or McNabb he has very similar numbers.

tampabay25690
08-17-2004, 08:08 AM

Overrated
Terrell Davis
Kurt Warner
Dan Hampton
Zach Thomas
Michael Irvin

Underrated
David Krieg
Bernie Kosar
Andre Tippett
Art Monk
Andre Reed

Terrell Davis was not overrated at all, if he wasn't hurt he wopuld be one of the best ever.....

tampabay25690
08-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Underratted

Hines Ward

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-17-2004, 08:17 AM
These kind of things are really stupid. When someone has an opinion, another person shoots it down. I believe Bruce Smith is overrated. I will get responses that I am nuts because I felt that when he went up against the great tackles he was shut down.

So here is my overrated list:

1. Sacks
2. The Miami Dolphins
3. The Jills
4. Dan Marino - I know, someone will give me all the stats they can search for on Google, but the guy is a glorified loser. He is the last QB I would want on my team to take me to the Super Bowl.
5. Getting wasted before the game. Why get so drunk that you don't know what is going on, let alone getting in a fight and getting thrown out.

underrated
1. Barry Sanders
2. Tackles
3. 1984 San Francisco 49ers
When Page 2 listed the greatest NFL teams of all time, this Joe Montana-led squad which went 15-1 didn't even make the top 10. Eddie Epstein's book "Dominance," on the greatest NFL teams ever, included two 49ers teams, but not this one.

Why? They lost one game (by three points), led the NFL in fewest points allowed, were second in points scored, featured 10 Pro Bowlers (including the entire defensive backfield of Ronnie Lott, Dwight Hicks, Carlton Williamson and Eric Wright) and had a balanced offense (fourth in passing yards, third in rushing yards). And they cruised in the playoffs: 21-10 over the Giants, 23-0 over the Bears and impressive 38-16 Super Bowl win over the 14-2 Dolphins, who possessed one of the greatest offenses of all time.

The Bears get all the kudos, but keep two things in mind: 1) Chicago played a weak New England team in its Super Bowl win while the Niners played a very good Dolphins team; 2) You don't think Joe Montana would find a way to score a few points against the vaunted "46" defense?
(taken from ESPN)
4. Nachos from the Ralph
5. Traffic after the game, sure you have to wait a few minutes, but the Sherrif's do a great job getting you home.

justasportsfan
08-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Drew Bledsoe IMo was the most overrated player when he was with the Pats. Now that everyone realizes how bad he can be, I can't say he's overrated now since expectations are not that high.

Bill Brasky
08-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
3. 1984 San Francisco 49ers
When Page 2 listed the greatest NFL teams of all time, this Joe Montana-led squad which went 15-1 didn't even make the top 10. Eddie Epstein's book "Dominance," on the greatest NFL teams ever, included two 49ers teams, but not this one.

Why? They lost one game (by three points), led the NFL in fewest points allowed, were second in points scored, featured 10 Pro Bowlers (including the entire defensive backfield of Ronnie Lott, Dwight Hicks, Carlton Williamson and Eric Wright) and had a balanced offense (fourth in passing yards, third in rushing yards). And they cruised in the playoffs: 21-10 over the Giants, 23-0 over the Bears and impressive 38-16 Super Bowl win over the 14-2 Dolphins, who possessed one of the greatest offenses of all time.

The Bears get all the kudos, but keep two things in mind: 1) Chicago played a weak New England team in its Super Bowl win while the Niners played a very good Dolphins team; 2) You don't think Joe Montana would find a way to score a few points against the vaunted "46" defense?

When I read that list I was wondering the same thing. The 9ers are my other fav. team besides the Bills. Great post.

Bill Brasky
08-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Drew Bledsoe IMo was the most overrated player when he was with the Pats. Now that everyone realizes how bad he can be, I can't say he's overrated now since expectations are not that high.

He helped turn around a franchise that absolutely sucked though.

BillyT92679
08-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

In 79 OJ was way overrated for us to get all those draft picks for him.

Of course I watched Hampton play; I'm not going to make claims without a modicum of substance. He was a fine football player, but he benefited tremendously from Mike Singletary, Richard Dent, and other studs on that team. These things are the archetype of subjective analyses however, so my perception of overrated or underrated varies from yours or anyone else's.

SABURZFAN
08-17-2004, 10:58 AM
henry ellard was underrated.

look no further than our own backyard because r.brown was overrated.

LtBillsFan66
08-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Wow. I disagree completely with both your lists.

ticatfan
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Tony mandreich(sp) greenbay packers most overrated.

The_Philster
08-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
He could still play from the looks of him

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
henry ellard was underrated.
It's a shame he's not already in the HOF

Originally posted by ticatfan
Tony mandreich(sp) greenbay packers most overrated.

no...overrated would mean people had him rated highly although he didn't deserve it. Who actually thinks Mandarich was actually any good? :idunno:

BillyT92679
08-17-2004, 05:29 PM
no...overrated would mean people had him rated highly although he didn't deserve it. Who actually thinks Mandarich was actually any good? :idunno: [/B][/QUOTE]

Sports Illustrated did.
Just like the BOZ. Oddly enough, both were that good in college, but just were not cut out for the pro game.

I always felt Robb Riddick was underrated... not a great back by any means, but certainly competent.

The_Philster
08-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Sports Illustrated did.
Just like the BOZ. Oddly enough, both were that good in college, but just were not cut out for the pro game.

I always felt Robb Riddick was underrated... not a great back by any means, but certainly competent.
once he was in the league, though..the word "bust" could be found in a dictionary with Mandarich's picture next to it

HenryRules
08-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
Actually his career avg is somewhere around 3.7 or 3.8 which is normal. Emmitt Smith is suppossedly the "greatest back of all time" and his career avg. is right around 4.

I hate comparing things by numbers, but you brought it up.

1 - Eddie George's <i>best</i> ypc in a season was 4.1. Only twice in his career has he managed to average 4 ypc or more. That is as mediocre as it gets.

2 - Emmit averages .5 ypc more than Eddie George over his career. Emmitt's career average is also suffering because he has been hanging on too long.

3 - Eddie George hasn't been that good at finding the endzone either - only twice going for 10 or more TD's in his eight years. A back that doesn't score is not elite in my books.

You say that he's a bruiser, but a guy like Bettis destroys Eddie's numbers over his career and in his best seasons.

Eddie George is an ok back and has probably been right around the 15th best back during his time in the league ... but at times he's been talked about as a great one.