The O-line doesn't look that bad actually...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schobel94
    The Sack Master
    • Jan 2003

The O-line doesn't look that bad actually...

The run blocking isn't great, but I'm not too worried about that we have talented backs. Bledsoe only went back 7 times, and the one sack was poor protection, but the other times the protection was actually decent. The interior especially held up pretty well and Bledsoe was able to step up. I don't know what everyone was complaining about. It wasn't THAT bad. I just hope it will continue to improve. I can't wait till Saturday.
    Beware the sack master!
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

I agree the protection wasn't as bad as it could have been, but dont forget about weeks 1 & 2 of last year when TH was averaging about 1.2 ypc... I dont care how good the backs are we could be a MW episode or an injury away from an 8-8 year, and DB final season with the Bills.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

I don't know. On that one sack, the guy got by Price pretty easily and if he hadn't, Pucillo's man would've had an easy sack himself
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

We have no left guard, Teague showed me nothing new, Villarial didn't play enough, Price limped off, Williams didn't play and Jennings will probably bolt to Atlanta in the offseason...nothing to worry about

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Schobel94
          The Sack Master
          • Jan 2003

All I saw was that Bledsoe had time on all but one play. There is still a lot of room for improvement, but I think they're coming along. I think they'll be good enough for this offense to be effective.
          Beware the sack master!

Comment

• bernielivsey_1
            • Jul 2003

:) Isn't Orlando Pace holding out again? Lets see TD show how good a GM he is. Work the deal TD. But not with Travis.
            In Marv We Trust
            The Past Is Now The Future

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

Sorry, I completely disagree. The 1st OL was the main reason for not getting into the endzone on the first two possesions. They need have serious work to do. There wasn't a hole for Henry to run through and Bledsoe had even less time to throw the ball then he had all last year.

I am confident that McNally can work things out however.

Comment

• Schobel94
                The Sack Master
                • Jan 2003

It's true that the run blocking was bad, but Bledsoe did have time, he didn't have to scamble and should have had every one of those passes completed. I thought the interior held up ok, not great, but ok.
                Beware the sack master!

Comment

• HenryRules
                  • Jul 2002

At this time of year, pass blocking is easier than it is come regular season ... most teams run a very vanilla D (no stunts or anything), so I think that it's hard to say how good our OL is at pass blocking.

Conversely, run blocking is a test of push ... it's basically whether or not you can push their guys out of the way.

If we end up having as many 2nd and 10s, 3rd and 9s as we did last game ... our pass blocking is going too look putrid because teams can just tee off.

I am very concerned about our OL.

Comment

• The Seahag
                    Cad
                    • Jul 2002

most teams run a very vanilla D (no stunts or anything)
                    Teams don't gameplan against particular offensive tendencies or for individual players in the preseason, but it doesn't mean they just run a base D all day.
                    Last night the Bills ran a ton of exotic blitzes with their starters while the Broncos were stunting and twisting all over the place.
                    The good news is that Villarial, Teague and Tucker all played very well and if they're our starting interior we may be better than than we had thought.
                    The bad news is that our Tackles looked freaking horrible last night. I'm just praying that by the start of the season we'll have MikeWilliams back, Jennings playing like he cares and a healthy MPrice.
                    This line may not look great on paper, but I'm not convinced that it's going to look that bad on the field.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I wasn't really looking for it but someone else said Denver played 8 or 9 in the box the whole time Bledsoe was QB. They were in essence daring Bledsoe to pass but overplaying the run. I think they were doing a lot of blitzing too.

Yes, McNally is going to have to whip that line into shape, but I think Mularkey and Clements are going to have to tinker with the offensive game plan to either be able to run the ball in spite of defences overplaying it, or burning them with a consistent passing game.

I'm thinking some max protection plays might be in order, using two and three tight ends, and passing to them quite a bit.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Charlieguide
                        Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ
                        I wasn't really looking for it but someone else said Denver played 8 or 9 in the box the whole time Bledsoe was QB. They were in essence daring Bledsoe to pass but overplaying the run.
                        That would leave WR's single-covered; I'll take that matchup any day. Moulds is too fast/strong to be singled, and Evans too fast. Drew will have to release quickly, but I think he has the gun to do that while RB's pick up the blitz.
                        The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• Charlieguide
                          Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
                          • Feb 2004

Imagine the effectiveness of the flea-flicker if defenses start putting 8 in the box and expecting the run . . .

The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

The O-line doesn't look that bad actually... if you look at it from 1,252 miles away.

Comment

Working...
                            X