PDA

View Full Version : I really hate zone defense

The_Philster
08-16-2004, 07:50 PM
In that pass to Watts at the end of the 1st quarter, McGee dropped him after he left his zone and no one really picked him up. It all but eliminates individual responsibility, IMO. :cynic:

The worst part of it is, if I remember correctly, they could have had a TD had Plummer thrown to Smith instead of Watts..he was just as open and there was no one beyond him.

DraftBoy
08-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Problem is that zone coverage is designed to stop if run correctly what types of offensives the Patsies run and was originally designed to stop the west coast offense. If we didnt use it we would be getting nailed for littl 7-9 yard hooks

HenryRules
08-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
In that pass to Watts at the end of the 1st quarter, McGee dropped him after he left his zone and no one really picked him up. It all but eliminates individual responsibility, IMO. :cynic:

The worst part of it is, if I remember correctly, they could have had a TD had Plummer thrown to Smith instead of Watts..he was just as open and there was no one beyond him.

That Schobel INT was pretty nice. I prefer man-to-man, but you gotta throw different looks at different times every once in a while.

The Spaz
08-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
That Schobel INT was pretty nice. I prefer man-to-man, but you gotta throw different looks at different times every once in a while.

Denney had the INT.

HenryRules
08-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Denney had the INT.

My bad ... that's who I meant.

TigerJ
08-16-2004, 10:55 PM
The zone D has it's uses but it can be frustrating. I think if it's a basic zone offensive coordinators can design plays to exploit it. Defensive coordinators and DBs have to be able to disguise it, and play variations that don't leave the holes in the zone in the same place all the time. As always it's a chess game between the DC and the OC.