PDA

View Full Version : I wish they played longer-Bills List

NC-BILLS44
08-17-2004, 12:14 PM
How about a list of Bills players whose careers were cut short by injury?

Jamie Mueller - I remember hearing that he and Kelly had work hard during the offseason. Mueller was going to be a bigger part of the offense until he hurt his neck in the preseason. This guy was a beast out of Benedictine College. I sure wish I could have seen him play the rest of that year.

Derrick Burroughs - Neck injury shut him down too early.

Marlon Kerner - I remember his rookie year when he man handled Jerry Rice.

Ebenezer
08-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Jerry Butler

Earthquake Enyart
08-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Robert James

Mini Max Anderson

Ebenezer
08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
JD Hill-never the same after breaking a leg in preseason against Detroit.

NC-BILLS44
08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Damien Covington

carybillsfan
08-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Chris Spielman - nobody stuffed the run like he did, too bad about the neck injury

I'M A BELIEVER
08-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Spielman!

NC-BILLS44
08-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm still waiting to see what Sam Aiken is going to do.

The_Philster
08-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
Marlon Kerner - I remember his rookie year when he man handled Jerry Rice.
Marlon was the man. I still say he would've won the starting job opposite Thomas Smith if not for the injuries. He was a lot more consistent than Kenny Irvin.

casdhf
08-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Is irvin still kicking around?

Aero II
08-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Leonard Smith. That dude could HIT.

Jan Reimers
08-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
I'm still waiting to see what Sam Aiken is going to do.

What's wrong with Aiken? I guess I'm out of the loop, but I haven't heard why he missed Sunday's game.

HenryRules
08-17-2004, 06:48 PM
I can't remember if he got hurt in Buffalo or Seattle, but I thought Odomes could have an amazing career if he stayed healthy.

The_Philster
08-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I can't remember if he got hurt in Buffalo or Seattle, but I thought Odomes could have an amazing career if he stayed healthy.

It was in Seattle playing pick-up basketball. He hadn't even played a down as a Seahawk

baalworship
08-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Aero II
Leonard Smith. That dude could HIT.

:cheers:

I second that. Leonard Smith was a madman and my favorite Bill of all who have played. Remember how he had Bills shaved into his head? No one wanted to catch a ball anywhere near him.

Historian
08-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Daryle Lamonica. They traded him just as he was hitting his prime.

Injured? I always wondered what Booker Moore could have accomplished.

Mr. Cynical
08-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Speilman. Hands down. I was so pumped when he came here. He was one of those rare few football players who truly appreciated the game. He was a *perfect* fit for the Bills.

John Doe
08-17-2004, 09:40 PM
The first name to pop into my head was Jerry Butler.

What could have been!!

Jan Reimers
08-18-2004, 08:49 AM
I always liked John Holecek, who I thought we short-changed a bit, and Brandon Spoon,who would still be a quality backup had we kept him.

SACKMARINO
08-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Marlo Perry. Guy was getting pretty damn good prior to injury.

casdhf
08-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Russell Copeland....whatever happened to him?

thefixer74
08-18-2004, 09:24 AM
I agree with Speilman,Perry,Spoon,and Holecek.....

But what about Kelly,he had 2 or 3 more years left.

Jan Reimers
08-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by thefixer74

But what about Kelly,he had 2 or 3 more years left.

I think his knees were pretty much shot.

Charlieguide
08-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Nostalgia is good, but I'm thinking modern here:

Speilman: couldn't agree more.

I'll add some free-agency losses:

Sam Cowart: you don't let go of 206 tackles a season.

Marcellus Wiley: left as he peaked. Bad move for him & us.

Ted Washington: has turned every LB behind him into a star. Absolutely dominant inside.

Bruce Smith: Should have been asked to take a pay cut and stay. Wiley was supposed to replace him, but we let him go, and haven't had a rush since. Will he retire a Bill by signing a 1-day contract??

Cornelius Bennett: Insane speed, excellent compliment to Bruce. Haven't had a strong OLB since, until 2003.

All of these guys were let go b/c of "cap reasons" and were never truly encouraged to re-sign. Most positions haven't improved or even stabilized since they left. It would have been great to see Bruce and Wiley opposite one another, with Cowart and Speilman together at ILB, all anchored by Big Ted. I shudder to think . . .

superbills
08-18-2004, 10:55 AM
That friggin turf ruined Sam Cowart. He was an animal before the Achilles injury.

The_Philster
08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I always liked John Holecek,
Nitschke!! :up: His nickname in college. I was pissed when he left...I had just gotten his jersey. :mad:

Originally posted by Charlieguide
Bruce Smith: Should have been asked to take a pay cut and stay. Wiley was supposed to replace him, but we let him go, and haven't had a rush since. Will he retire a Bill by signing a 1-day contract??
I'm surprised he hasn't already

Originally posted by superbills
That friggin turf ruined Sam Cowart. He was an animal before the Achilles injury. don't forget Frank Middleton with that cheap shot in Tampa...Cowart was in the running for defensive player of the year before that.

Originally posted by Charlieguide
Cornelius Bennett: Insane speed, excellent compliment to Bruce. Haven't had a strong OLB since, until 2003.
Paup wasn't strong?
But regarding Biscuit, I'm not sad that he left. Maybe I would have been had he actually played every down but a guy who takes plays off is a waste to have on the field.

Jan Reimers
08-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Nitschke!! :up: His nickname in college. I was pissed when he left...I had just gotten his jersey. :mad:

Yeah, I've got one, too, stored in my drawer with Kelly, Tasker and Reed (Andre).

The_Philster
08-18-2004, 07:22 PM
I've got Kelly, Andre, and Thurman up on my living room wall..all authentics...gotta figure out a place for BRUCE and Tasker still. Other than those 5, Paup is the only authentic I ever got

The Spaz
08-18-2004, 07:33 PM
I only buy replicas because I don't want to risk staining them with pizza and chicken wing sauce.:hungry::beers: I have a Custom jersey, Bledsoe, McGahee, Evans.

Jan Reimers
08-19-2004, 07:47 AM
I have replicas of Henry and Bledsoe, but I think Kelly, Reed, Tasker, Holecek, Moulds and - I hate to say it - Rob Johnson - are authentics. My wife has a Flutie authentic, that's why I got Johnson.

I'll have to check my old jersies - if RJ isn't authentic, maybe I'll burn it. Or just maybe I'll burn it regardless.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-19-2004, 07:51 AM
I will go with Joe Cribbs. That guy was great in the early years with the Bills. After he bolted for the USFL he just wasn't the same.