• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Saints still interested in Bryson...

Take this for what its worth - probably not much...

From Paul Needell's column in the NJ Star Ledger:

'Saints are talking to the Bills about dealing for RB Shawn Bryson. Guess signing ancient RB Terry Allen last week didn't satisfy them.'
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

you can't take anything from t.allen's career but you can believe that they're not satisfied.allen had the 'luxuries' to play on grass for his career after umpteen knee surgeries.the turf will take it's toll after a while.the SAINTS don't have great depth at the RB spot and allen isn't durable.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be surprised if Bryson could give Deuce a run for his money as the starter if of course no polotics are involved.
      Its all about the quest.

Comment

• The Shadow
        • Jul 2002

If the Bills want a 3rd round pick and the Saints only want to give up a 5th, why not make it a 4th rd pick and call it a deal? Or, if I were the Bills, I would take the 5th rd pick with some stipulations. If Bryson scores even 1 touchdown, then the pick becomes a 4th rounder. If Bryson scores more than 5 or 6 touchdowns and rushes for more than x amount of yards, then it becomes a 3rd rounder.

Seems to me if both teams want to make a deal, something could be done.
        Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Maybe the Eagles will get back into the game now that Buckhalter has gone down.

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
            • Jul 2002

uhhhh....he's been down for some time now.
            Its all about the quest.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Buckhalter went down in a June mini camp- that's what got them in the bidding in the first place, but they just picked up Dorsey Levins.

Keep an eye on Atlanta. They cut Anderson, picked up Dunn, and drafted Mich St RB Duckett, who apparently has not come to terms yet and is now in trouble (and possibly hiding an injury) from a bar room brawl

Comment

• BillC
                The man in charge - Don't U forget it!
                • Jul 2002

Empire is touting what we already know-

"The Deal for Shawn Bryson is imminent- the only sticking point is the comensation the Bills are looking for- Bills want a 3rd, Saints offering a 5th"

LOL!- Where have they been the past 2 months? The only sticking point is the price tag.... LOL!

Empire- sharp as a marble.....

Comment

• CalBillsFan
                  • Jul 2002

They say the deal is "imminent" meaning it is going to happen but how can it happen if they can't reach an agreement over the terms of the deal? This is confusing to me.
                  Originally posted by paladin warrior
                  RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• standingbuffalo43
                    its ALIVE!
                    • Jul 2002

TD is probably going to sit & wait till the usual barage of RB depleting training camp injuries occur, then dish Bryson when he is of the most value...philly, Balt, N.O, Cleve, or any number of other teams suffer an inijury to their #1 back, SBs value goes thru the roof... god forbid any of our backs get nicked...but if it happens, we're covered...I'd wait to pull the trigger on this deal till we get more compensation than a 5th rounder (please...)
                    remember, there are still guys like ricky watters & jamal anderson waiting for an ACL to revive their careers...

I like the shadow's thinking, tie a few incentives to the trade...
                    Try not!
                    DO...
                    or do not...
                    there is no try...

~Yoda

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Im waiting for Houston to jump in...
                      Its all about the quest.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                        • Jul 2002

Incentives are the only way to go here. IMO a 3rd round pick is foolish even. What kind of pick would it take to ensure getting a guy like Bryson. He's quite possibly an excellent starter. That's usually a first or second rounder.

It's premature to label him "worth only a 3rd or 4th round pick" w/o ever seeing him play at least 8 or 10 games in a row where he's the primary ball-carrier. That's never happened.

Sometimes the perceptions in this business astound me. If we trade away Bryson and Henry goes down, we're gonna be very sorry we did it. Besides, we can always dish him during the season when some team's RB goes down and we're likely to get a lot more or at least be able to capitalize from being in a position where we can negotiate some significant incentives.
                        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                          • Jul 2002

I have confidence in Sammy
                          Its all about the quest.

Comment

• John Doe
                            Florida Man
                            • Jul 2002

Bryson: Sammy beat him out two years ago, Henry beat him out last year, Huntly is beating him out this year, and next year he is gone anyway. Get what you can for him and move on.

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

Here's the list of 1st or 2nd round RB's in 2000 and 2001.

Ladanian Tomlinson
                              Deuce McAllister
                              Michael Benett
                              Anthony Thomas
                              Lamont Jordan
                              Travis Henry
                              Jamal Lewis
                              Thomas Jones
                              Ron Dayne
                              Shaun Alexander
                              Trung Canidate

IMO, Lamont Jordan is the only one that I think SB is better than and most of them are significantly better than Bryson already (keep in mind he was drafted a year before any of these players - I know he lost a year to injury, but it means he has had at least as much opportunity if not more than any of these guys to prove himself).

In all honesty, would anyone think that any of these teams would be willing to trade the listed RB for Shawn Bryson? I don't think so. If so, maybe one or two of them might be willing to. So why do you expect teams to give up a first or second rounder? A 3rd rounder is a bit more believable, but even guys like James Jackson and Travis Minor have already shown more than Shawn Bryson IMO.

Outside of 2 overrated games where the stats mostly rely on one very long run, I don't see what Bryson did at all. Why do the people bringing up those games never bring up his game against the Pats last year?? He also got significant carries in that game and did nothing (14 for 38).

Basically, Bryson has shown that if given the ball consistently, the best you can hope for is that he'll average about 3.5 ypc. And since he's never been a primary carrier before IN HIS LIFE, you have no idea how he'll be able to withstand the punishment and if he'll crumble. Yes, he may be able to withstand it, but Huntley (as well as everyone on that list) has already proven that he can give you 4.0 ypc+ if given the ball semi-regularly and that he is durable enough to be a dependable back. What am I missing about Bryson? Please someone explain to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X