PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Smith is taking snaps with the first team!

Bulldog
08-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Per Jeff Morrison on Howard Simon Show! Picillio is going with the second string.

Ebenezer
08-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
Per Jeff Morrison on Howard Simon Show! Picillio is going with the second string.

Should we be surprised if Denney and Pucillo get cut?

The Spaz
08-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Should we be surprised if Denney and Pucillo get cut?

Tell me why Denney is getting cut. He may not retain the starting spot but he will make this team.

Canadian'eh!
08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Tell me why Denney is getting cut. He may not retain the starting spot but he will make this team.

How about because he only had 2.5 more SACKS last year than he has INT's this preseason?

Unless he's moving to CB i don't know exactly what he brings to the DE position.

Now, if you want to talk about moving him inside on passing situations...

The Spaz
08-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
How about because he only had 2.5 more SACKS last year than he has INT's this preseason?

Unless he's moving to CB i don't know exactly what he brings to the DE position.

Now, if you want to talk about moving him inside on passing situations...

Yeah a player can't get better can he? He upped to 3.5 sacks last year after posting 0 his 1st year. People ***** about everything the guy can't make plays well he gets an INT and they still *****.

Canadian'eh!
08-17-2004, 03:37 PM
If I thought he was gonna get 3 more INT's during the season than maybe I'd be convinced....

but since that isn't gonna happen....

I'm more concerned about his lack to of CONSTANT pressure than his sack numbers..... he was NOT being double teamed and yet he only got 3.5? even if he improves... what's the best we can hope for? 6?

I'll take my chances with Kelsay this year,..... denney had his chance.

The Spaz
08-17-2004, 03:39 PM
If I thought he was gonna get 3 more INT's during the season than maybe I'd be convinced....

but since that isn't gonna happen....

I'm more concerned about his lack to of CONSTANT pressure than his sack numbers..... he was NOT being double teamed and yet he only got 3.5? even if he improves... what's the best we can hope for? 6?

What was Hansen's highest sack total?

Ebenezer
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah a player can't get better can he? He upped to 3.5 sacks last year after posting 0 his 1st year. People ***** about everything the guy can't make plays well he gets an INT and they still *****.

:calm:

he will make the team this year...if he is not the starter at years end though, he will be gone.

lordofgun
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Amazing...people were calling Kelsay a bust before he even played a down last year.

The Spaz
08-17-2004, 03:42 PM
What was Hansen's highest sack total?

It was 10 in 1995. Hasnen's average was around 5 a year.

The Spaz
08-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Amazing...people were calling Kelsay a bust before he even played a down last year.

Very true.

Novacane
08-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Denny is not getting cut. You don't throw in the towel on a second round pick after 2 years. If he shows no improvement this year then we can cut him

mypoorfriendme
08-17-2004, 03:44 PM

because the incumbant starter was (is) mediocre at BEST and kelsay failed to dethrone him

lordofgun
08-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
because the incumbant starter was (is) mediocre at BEST and kelsay failed to dethrone him

He was a freaking rookie.

Canadian'eh!
08-17-2004, 03:46 PM
It was 10 in 1995. Hasnen's average was around 5 a year.

The problem is Schobel is NO bruce smith... He's the Hanson in that equation..... only better.

we need someone with elite pass rush skills. That ain't denney, and it may or may not be Kelsay. time will tell.

BUT... you are probably right.. I doubt Denney will actually get cut before this season...

lordofgun
08-17-2004, 03:47 PM
The problem is Schobel is NO bruce smith... He's the Hanson in that equation..... only better.

we need someone with elite pass rush skills. That ain't denney, and it may or may not be Kelsay. time will tell.

BUT... you are probably right.. I doubt Denney will actually get cut before this season...

Problem is elite pass-rushers don't grow on trees.

The Spaz
08-17-2004, 03:48 PM

There aren't too many Bruce Smith's.

Canadian'eh!
08-17-2004, 03:55 PM
I know.... But there are hundreds or Ryan Denneys.

we might not be able to find Bruce... but we can do better than Ryan.

lordofgun
08-17-2004, 03:56 PM
I know.... But there are hundreds or Ryan Denneys.

we might not be able to find Bruce... but we can do better than Ryan.

Not this year. Who will replace him?

Canadian'eh!
08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
no one... i suppose.... so he gets to stick around based on teh 2 sweetest words in the english language "de fault"

Ryan "default" Denney... I like it.

Mr. Cynical
08-17-2004, 04:02 PM
The dline may not be great but it's good enough not to hurt the overall defense imo.

The same CANNOT be said of the oline however. TD needs to focus on that for the immediate future. You can't focus on everything at once. It's all about priorities and the oline is (and should have been this offseason) #1.

Ebenezer
08-17-2004, 04:02 PM
no one... i suppose.... so he gets to stick around based on teh 2 sweetest words in the english language "de fault"

Ryan "default" Denney... I like it.

sadly, depending on the Schobel situation he might still make the team next year.

TedMock
08-17-2004, 04:08 PM

Schobel's not even Hanson. I like Schobel, but he's extremely one-dimensional and streaky. Hanson would only get his 5-6 per year, but he turned so much back inside that he made Bruce and the LB'rs better. Schobel's not strong enough against the run or consistant enough against the pass to be considered either Hanson or Bruce. He's gotten better each year, so I'm not saying that he can't be one of those two.

John Doe
08-17-2004, 05:11 PM
I think that we need an all-star at every position in order to make the defense really work.

The Spaz
08-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by John Doe
I think that we need an all-star at every position in order to make the defense really work.

Amen to that statement there is a thing such as a salary cap.

Goobylal
08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Getting back to the topic of this thread (since Denney isn't going anywhere this year, and likely not going anywhere NEXT year until someone better comes along), this is good news about Smith taking 1st team snaps at LG! It shows the coaching staff is willing to make changes on the O-line quickly and not stick with someone (like they did with Pukecillo at RG last year) stubbornly. Smith has reportedly been impressive filling-in for Villarrial at RG, so let's hope for the best, including Mike Williams and Marcus Price getting healthy.

Tatonka
08-17-2004, 05:43 PM

agreed.

rofl.. has denny showed improvement over his first and second year? his first year, he was not a starter.. so i dont know how you can gather anything from that.. his second year.. he got 3.5 sacks.. so if he doubles that this year, he is still ****ty? i will say it now.. this guy plays out his contract in buffalo. the whole 4 year deal.

and now all the sudden, kelsay gets ONE sack in a preseason game, and people are ready to cut all the other DEs.. :rolleyes:

saviorbledsoe
08-17-2004, 06:03 PM
The o-line is FINALLY GOING TO CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!! Hoooooray O-line!

cordog
08-17-2004, 06:47 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by lordofgun
Amazing...people were calling Kelsay a bust before he even played a down last year. [/QUOTE]

These are the same people that were *****ing when TD drafted Willis McGahee and JP