PDA

View Full Version : Kellen Winslow is friggin nuts

Bill Brasky
08-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Rookie ruffles feathers -- in a 'positive way

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

BEREA, Ohio -- In his first comments since being baptized into the NFL during last Saturday's preseason loss, rookie Kellen Winslow essentially challenged his Cleveland Browns teammates to match his intensity level and defended his emotional outbursts as a function of his competitiveness.

As an aside, the former Miami tight end also said that he's asked defensive coordinator Dave Campo to provide him some snaps as a pass rusher in training camp.

MORE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1861301)

justasportsfan
08-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., who played defensive end in high school, said he's asked defensive coordinator Dave Campo to use him some on defense. "Uh, I don't know that that's going anywhere," Davis said. "I think he's exactly where he needs to be."

Haha! After getting himself pancacked trying to blindside a player (see tatonka's video clip) he wants to play D? His brain is a freakin danger to himself.

Jan Reimers
08-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
His brain is a freakin danger to himself.

I agree, justa, assuming he even HAS a brain.

Voltron
08-18-2004, 09:34 AM
He also knocked another teammate on his ass in practice and a bunch of the veterans went off on him. He is becoming a locker-room cancer and hasn't even been there a month :snicker:

Jan Reimers
08-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
He also knocked another teammate on his ass in practice and a bunch of the veterans went off on him. He is becoming a locker-room cancer and hasn't even been there a month :snicker:

And to think a lot of Zoners actually WANTED this guy. He's a Jeremy Shockey with less class.

Charlieguide
08-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Voltron

And that was a non-contact drill. :rofl:

This guy has some serious social problems. I expect he'll be pummelled and hazed into submission this season that he'll either quit or eventually turn out ok . . . in a few years.

casdhf
08-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
And to think a lot of Zoners actually WANTED this guy. He's a Jeremy Shockey with less class.

Key point: He is Jeremy Shockey, not Mark Campbell.

BAM
08-18-2004, 10:40 AM
I'd take him in a heartbeat :idunno:

Ebenezer
08-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
Key point: He is Jeremy Shockey, not Mark Campbell.

Originally posted by BAM

From 1983-1986 Bills fans everywhere hated a certain QB named Jim Kelly...

BAM
08-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
From 1983-1986 Bills fans everywhere hated a certain QB named Jim Kelly...

Who's that ? :huh:

I like the fact that this guy wants to play. I think it's awesome that he is challenging his teammates like this and he's only a rookie.

justasportsfan
08-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by BAM

and he's only a rookie. exactly, what has he proven? Until he actually proves himself, he needs to shut up.

BAM
08-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I didn't say he's proved anything. :mad:

He's got a lot of balls saying this stuff to veteran players. I like it :up:

Bulldog
08-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Winslow will be one of those players who people love to hate. Fans will despise him as an opponent yet would take him on their team any day of the week. I for one will go on record to say that Winslow will not have as big an impact this year as some of the "experts" are predicting.

justasportsfan
08-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by BAM

He's got a lot of balls saying this stuff to veteran players. I like it :up: You must've liked flutie then.

This guy is the next Terrell Owens. Performs but talks too much.

BAM
08-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Yep I did like Flutie :(

I'd take Terrell Owens too :D

DraftBoy
08-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Ill go on the record as saying this kid will become an elite TE in the next few years or so. Who wouldnt want the intensity this kid brings. Also in the incident where he knocked the players down, he had vets go off on him, and had vets defending him.

casdhf
08-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Isn't that kid 4 years older than you, son? :D

DraftBoy
08-18-2004, 12:16 PM
3 but whose counting?

Jan Reimers
08-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by BAM

As I get older, I am increasingl offended by the spoiled and childish rants, and the selfish "Me First" attitude, of jerks like Winslow.

Pat Tillman was a warrior.

Mark Campbell is a class guy.

Young Mr. Wislow is a punk. Until he matures into a human being - if he ever does - I want no part of him.

And you know what? The marginal difference between him and Campbell would improve us only a little.

BAM
08-18-2004, 05:33 PM
I'd still take him in a heartbeat :up: Good talent there, I couldn't care less how he acts as long as he's helping the cause. (winning) :)

Novacane
08-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by BAM
I'd still take him in a heartbeat :up: Good talent there, I could care less how he acts as long as he's helping the cause. (winning) :)

There in lies the fine line. How he acts could affect the chemistry of a team and overide what he does on the field.

The kid has proved NOTHING on an NFL field. When he does he can talk all he wants.

BAM
08-18-2004, 05:39 PM
I have a feeling he'll be talking a lot...

Tatonka
08-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by BAM

i would too.. i like attitude.. i dont think what he said was to offend anyone.. i think he said it to get everyone to play harder.. i too believe that he will be an incredible te in the league.. and if he doesnt, it wont be because he didnt try hard enough..

look at mike williams.. boy, he sure did seem like a class act and the right pick.. and we passed on the "attitude" laden Bryant Mckennie.. now look who the all star stud is that is actually playing left tackle for the vikings (who happen to have one of the best olines in the league now) and who is the fat slug that missing time in camp two months after his grandmama died and getting hurt while stretching because he is 400 lbs..

on a lighter note.. some total jackass, who is a know-it-all, new player, drafted winslow with his second round pick in my 100$ a person keeper league.. he was the first te off the board.. and he took him over .. get this.. hines ward.. among about 30 other people that i can think of.

Novacane
08-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

on a lighter note.. so total jackass drafted winslow with his second round pick in my 100$ a person keeper league.. he was the first te off the board.. and he took him over .. get this.. hines ward.. among about 30 other people that i can think of.

Maybe he's thinking future years. If Winslow turns out to be the star people think he will be the guy has the best TE in the league on his team for years

Tatonka
08-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Maybe he's thinking future years. If Winslow turns out to be the star people think he will be the guy has the best TE in the league on his team for years

well..the keeper league is keep 2 people.. if you can show me one guy who is successful in a keeper league keeping a tight end.. then i will show you a league with a bunch of ****ty players in it..

my 2 keepers were moss and portis.. even if the guy had tomlinson and winslow.. he has no chance against that.

Novacane
08-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah, it was dumb then if you only keep 2.

The_Philster
08-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
As I get older, I am increasingl offended by the spoiled and childish rants, and the selfish "Me First" attitude, of jerks like Winslow.

Pat Tillman was a warrior.

Mark Campbell is a class guy.

Young Mr. Wislow is a punk. Until he matures into a human being - if he ever does - I want no part of him.

And you know what? The marginal difference between him and Campbell would improve us only a little.
couldn't agree more :up: It's a shame that there are fewer and fewer of us who prefer to have a character team as well as a winning team. It's as if Marv Levy was so far in the past that people have forgotten about him and his attitude about players.

The Spaz
08-18-2004, 06:56 PM
:monkey:Kellen Winslow Jr.

madness
08-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Sounds like he should be traded to Miami. :snicker:

Mr. Cynical
08-19-2004, 01:08 AM
My prediction: he washes out in Cleveland in 3 years due to outbursts, etc. and erratic performance...gets traded to another team saying "he will be different"...lasts 2 more years there with the same problems...and is summarily out of football with a meager 5 year career.

kardshark19
08-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
My prediction: he washes out in Cleveland in 3 years due to outbursts, etc. and erratic performance...gets traded to another team saying "he will be different"...lasts 2 more years there with the same problems...and is summarily out of football with a meager 5 year career.

and a whole frickin lot of money :shakeno:

Dirtywater
08-19-2004, 02:24 AM
Hey, new poster here...

As good as he is (I think he will have the most impact of any 1st rounder) I just hate those types of personalities. I love the energy, but it just seems disrespectful to the veterans. Hey, maybe that's what a 5 win team needs, but for some reason it is just coming off as schtick.

kardshark19
08-19-2004, 02:30 AM
:welcome: Dirty!

yeah, i hear ya bro! that is why i can't stand him...i think he will be a great player, but his personality makes me hope he is a bust :snicker:

Tatonka
08-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

highly unlikely.

ryjam282
08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Very highly unlikely. What about Shockey? His comments are quite the same sometimes (Homo comment towards Parcells), but he is a dominate player cause he has talent. He gets injured a lot but he sure produces when out there. Winslow will be a great TE in this league, maybe even as good as his dad.

Tatonka
08-19-2004, 10:54 AM
give me a high energy, hard working guy that wants to be the best, but occassionally shoots off at the mouth over a really nice, high character guy that is lazy as crap and has no goals of ever doing anything but collecting a check.. ala MARQUIS SULLIVAN.

BAM
08-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Amen Tatonka :hi5:

Football is a rough sport, who wants a :limp: over a raging beast.

helmetguy
08-19-2004, 11:15 AM
If a guy has high character, it's highly unlikely he'll be lazy. Part of high character IS strong work ethic.

Mr. Cynical
08-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
highly unlikely.

who asked you :tongue: