PDA

View Full Version : How's Losman look?

northernbillfan
08-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Coming from a Northern Canadian Bills fan, I'd like to know what you think of Losman, what I have seen, and it hasn't been too much, impressed. Please base your reply on what you've seen so far this season, in person, on TV or at Camp.

I'd like to think he's the post Bledsoe answer for our future.

From what I've seen, that kid might be a poor man's Eli.

Ingtar33
08-18-2004, 02:47 AM
he's got far better arm strength than Eli... He’s got a gun more like Brett Favre (if you want an idea of how strong the arm is)

I saw what i thought I’d see. A cannon for an arm, horrible technique, and locks onto his receivers. He's a rookie and not even close to ready to play.

saviorbledsoe
08-18-2004, 05:58 AM
This kid is going to be awesome. The only thing i need him to prove is his toughness. I want a QB as tough as Kelly and Drew....not a Rob Johnson. So thats my only question about him yet.

ryjam282
08-18-2004, 06:56 AM
I am so glad to see how accurate he is when on the move. He was rolling out to either side and putting the ball on a line and on the numbers. That is refreshing to see.

Tatonka
08-18-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
he's got far better arm strength than Eli... He’s got a gun more like Brett Favre (if you want an idea of how strong the arm is)

I saw what i thought I’d see. A cannon for an arm, horrible technique, and locks onto his receivers. He's a rookie and not even close to ready to play.

how the heck can his technique be so horrible if he is hitting the receivers dead in the numbers on a 25 yard out while on the run?

DraftBoy
08-18-2004, 07:34 AM

Compared to the other 2 (bc Rivers still isnt in camp) who looked best in their preseason opener?

Dozerdog
08-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
how the heck can his technique be so horrible if he is hitting the receivers dead in the numbers on a 25 yard out while on the run?

Instead of setting up in the pocket half the time, he's got happy feet. When he does take his time, he will drill them in the numbers. But on my recent trip to the camp, he will roll out or scramble for open space if the pressur eis on and heave a bomb down field. Those have enough hang time for a receiver to run under, but in real action a bunch of those would be pics.

He's going to be awesome in a year or two....but he needs seasoning.

Goobylal
08-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
This kid is going to be awesome. The only thing i need him to prove is his toughness. I want a QB as tough as Kelly and Drew....not a Rob Johnson. So thats my only question about him yet.
Losman is plenty tough alright. He played behind a crap O-line in college and got hammered quite a few times, but it never fazed him.

Sabre Ally
08-18-2004, 10:46 AM
All I've seen of him was his performance in the first preseason game, but it was enough to place me firmly on the Losman bandwagon. I do agree that he's nowhere near ready to start though. Let Drew tutor him for a season or two and I think he'll be exactly what we're looking for.

Novacane
08-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
Let Drew tutor him

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ebenezer
08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
locks onto his receivers.

that was evident on the first pass to J. Smith...he was looking at him out of the huddled, barely looked away at the line and locked on again as soon as the snap..

Earthquake Enyart
08-18-2004, 11:05 AM
He is almost as fast as Michael Vick. He ran a naked bootleg for over 20 yards before Denver knew what hit them.

He also threw a 20 yard "out" on a frozen rope.

Ingtar33
08-18-2004, 11:06 AM
i only saw parts of Manning, he looked "good", he's got a wet noodle arm like his brother Payton, he's got a lot more bad habits than Payton did coming out of college.

That said, he did a lot of the little things right. He did a good job not locking too much to his WR.

If he plays the whole year though, the Giants will go 5-11, and he'll throw 20 some odd picks. He's no where near as ready as Payton was coming out of college.

I haven't seen Big Ben yet.

Tip: Don't look at the stat sheet for the Preseason. It will lie to you. A better thing to watch for is how the player plays in a game like situation.

For example, Loseman telegraphed and locked onto the WRs he threw to. Against 2nd or 1st Teamers he'd be in deep crap doing what he was doing. Even when he scrambled there was no doubt in my mind where he was throwing the ball. His technique has always been horrible, though i can tell Sam Weish has been working with him. His head is always up now (something he wouldn't do in college) when he scrambles, and he doesn't look half as out of control as he did at Tulane.

Give him a year on the bench... for Loseman, next year will be the year he challenges for the backup spot. Weish has a lot of bad habits left to slay before he's NFL ready.

Travis Brown on the other hand looked yards better than he's ever looked. he's still got a terrible arm, but you can see a lot of little improvements to his game. For example, he no-longer zeros in on his WR, he moves better in the pocket, and his throwing motion is shorter and more controlled... basically, letting him get the ball off faster.

Michael82
08-18-2004, 11:10 AM
i only saw parts of Manning, he looked "good", he's got a wet noodle arm like his brother Payton, he's got a lot more bad habits than Payton did coming out of college.

That said, he did a lot of the little things right. He did a good job not locking too much to his WR.

If he plays the whole year though, the Giants will go 5-11, and he'll throw 20 some odd picks. He's no where near as ready as Payton was coming out of college.

I haven't seen Big Ben yet.

Tip: Don't look at the stat sheet for the Preseason. It will lie to you. A better thing to watch for is how the player plays in a game like situation.

For example, Loseman telegraphed and locked onto the WRs he threw to. Against 2nd or 1st Teamers he'd be in deep crap doing what he was doing. Even when he scrambled there was no doubt in my mind where he was throwing the ball. His technique has always been horrible, though i can tell Sam Weish has been working with him. His head is always up now (something he wouldn't do in college) when he scrambles, and he doesn't look half as out of control as he did at Tulane.

Give him a year on the bench... for Loseman, next year will be the year he challenges for the backup spot. Weish has a lot of bad habits left to slay before he's NFL ready.

Travis Brown on the other hand looked yards better than he's ever looked. he's still got a terrible arm, but you can see a lot of little improvements to his game. For example, he no-longer zeros in on his WR, he moves better in the pocket, and his throwing motion is shorter and more controlled... basically, letting him get the ball off faster.

Very good analysis. What about Drew? Do you see any changes in his play and what do you like or don't like about him now?

Ebenezer
08-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
He is almost as fast as Michael Vick. He ran a naked bootleg for over 20 yards before Denver knew what hit them.

And that was on the one play were the Denver DE actually tried containment...there were other plays were he scampered around the end after handing off and there was nobody out there.

Ingtar33
08-18-2004, 11:34 AM
and yes... Losman clocked the fastest 40 time of any QB since Vick.

As to Drew, i only saw a little bit, but what i saw for the first time reminded me of the Drew Bledsoe under Bill Parcells. The stripped down PS offence (and here's a bit of a tip) looked nearly identical to the one NE ran back in Bledsoe's hay day.

Im not sure if that was intended or not, but in Bledsoe's great days in NE he was the toughest QB in the league to sack. Shore up that O-line, just a little bit and we might have something to talk about this year.

Ebenezer
08-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Shore up that O-line, just a little bit and we might have something to talk about this year.

Ing, say that around here and people think you mean that DB needs 5 All-Pros in front of him. I agree. They just need to get the final 5 to play well and give DB some time...

Michael82
08-18-2004, 11:38 AM
and yes... Losman clocked the fastest 40 time of any QB since Vick.

As to Drew, i only saw a little bit, but what i saw for the first time reminded me of the Drew Bledsoe under Bill Parcells. The stripped down PS offence (and here's a bit of a tip) looked nearly identical to the one NE ran back in Bledsoe's hay day.

Im not sure if that was intended or not, but in Bledsoe's great days in NE he was the toughest QB in the league to sack. Shore up that O-line, just a little bit and we might have something to talk about this year.

That's what I'm talking about! i knew the offense seemed familiar. This sounds EXACTLY like what Drew Bledsoe needs. Let's see if he can regain his old form. Thanks for the scoop, Ingtar. This post right here is why you are the man! :up:

:hail: Ingtar

The_Philster
08-18-2004, 03:24 PM

Couldn't agree more :up:

Mr. Cynical
08-18-2004, 03:38 PM
"After spending his first college semester at UCLA, he transferred to Tulane. A two-year starter, Losman finished in the top-10 in 18 Tulane passing categories, and set a school record for lowest interception percentage -- one for every 36 attempts." [SfGate.com]

I dunno, but this tells me the guy is pretty accurate imo. :idunno:

Originally posted by Dozerdog
Instead of setting up in the pocket half the time, he's got happy feet. When he does take his time, he will drill them in the numbers. But on my recent trip to the camp, he will roll out or scramble for open space if the pressur eis on and heave a bomb down field. Those have enough hang time for a receiver to run under, but in real action a bunch of those would be pics.

He's going to be awesome in a year or two....but he needs seasoning.

But I think this is why we should be playing him w/ 1st O in pre-season to see how he does. If you are one of those people who feel that the oline is not going to get markedly better, you should want a guy who can move around. I think part of the reason JP has happy feet, along with nerves and inexperience, is because the line isn't giving him a whole lot of time. With Drew, that means sack or INT (Drew has never been an accurate passer to begin with, much less under pressure). With JP, you at least have more of a chance of avoiding the sack and/or making a completion.

Hemlepp53
08-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I am so glad to see how accurate he is when on the move. He was rolling out to either side and putting the ball on a line and on the numbers. That is refreshing to see.

Agreed ryjam282

Al Harris
08-20-2004, 04:00 AM
losman remins me of brett in a lot of ways. he isnt a player that reads from the snap an waits, he jes watches and guns the ball when it clicks.

BigZ
08-21-2004, 03:26 AM
Lots of good info in the thread.

Sounds like Losman has the talent and is getting the coaching.

And it sounds like the coaching and offensive schemes are rubbing off and maiking Drew and Brown look better too.

Thanks for the posts. :bow: