PDA

View Full Version : Bills vs Patriots: postgame review

Ingtar33
11-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Wow, now that was quite the stinker. Normally, I watch the game over, and write my critiques after careful review. Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to bring myself to watch this one again. The game of football is a surprisingly simple game, and while people like myself tend to get into trends and things like "gap assignments" to overcomplicate the reasons for one team winning and another loosing, in the end sometimes football can be boiled down to the simplistic. This was one of those games. Besides, I don't need to watch this mess again to sum this one up... this game was all about tackling. The Pats did it, the Bills didn't.

Normally, I break down the positives and negatives while reviewing a bills game. Unfortunately I don't think enough went right for the Bills to follow that format. This time I will break down the problems the Pats presented and what the Bills did or didn't do to counter them.

1) The running game: The Pats running game (or lack there of) was one of the prime reasons for the Pats struggles this year. Unfortunately for the Bills the Pats dedicated themselves to the run, running against a very soft defensive look the Bills were giving the Pats. The game plan for the Bills early on appeared to be to take away the Pats non-existent deep threat by playing what appeared to be a lot of cover two and three. The result was the Pats spread the field and ran against our nickel defense to great effect. This would continue for most of the game, giving Brady an effective play action threat, which Weis and company used to great effect throughout the game.

2) The screen pass: Before the game, I was talking to a good high school buddy of mine from buffalo, and I made the comment that one of the strangest trends thus far is no-one runs any screens against our D. I thought it odd because nearly every screen or flip that was run against us this year seemed to be very successful, as our front usually over pursued up field, and our DBs (with the exception of a few stops by Winfield) seemed to either over pursue or get blocked out of the play. Unfortunately for the Bills, it appears that Weis saw the same tendencies that I saw, and attacked the Bills with (by my initial count) 19 of 27 pass plays being some variation of a screen or short dump of pass. What’s worst is numerous missed tackles resulted in many 10 or 15 yard gains on a play that should have been stopped for a loss had the tackle been made. What could the bills have done different? Nothing... I'm sure Grey will get slaughtered for the D performance today, but the Pats rarely caught the Bills in a poor defense, the Pats only succeeded with most of those plays because no one could tackle today.

3) The Pats confusing defensive front: Today the Pats refused to line up, instead standing around in a cluster and then playing the planned D when the Ball was snapped. This gimmick was effective once the Bills fell behind, and had to pass most plays. The confusion the pats caused was due to the fact the Bills O-line was blocking with a man to man technique. As a result the O-Line played confused and the Pats (who from my notes were only playing with 2 down linemen for most of the game) were able to get good pressure with only 4 men rushing Drew. The Pats stopped getting good pressure with this front in the second half when the Bills started to play a zone blocking technique. Of course by then the game was already out of control as the Bills D didn't force one second half punt.

4) The lack of points by the Bills O: Today the Bills offense was shut down by one thing... the scoreboard. By the time the O had the ball for just its third possession the offense found itself in a 17-0 hole... that doesn't leave the unit with much room for failure. Once it became apparent that the D wasn't going to stop the Pats the Bills were forced to give up on the running game, giving the Pats D only one thing to play against. Interestingly enough the Pats only blitzed Drew 7 times today (and four of those were planned run blitzes), and unfortunately they got very good pressure with every one of them. In addition the Pats played most of the game in a prevent defense, willing to give the Bills yards on the ground and in underneath passes, yet unwilling to let them get deep.

5) Drops and Miscues: With the D unable to slow down the Pats, the miscues, penalties and drops by the Bills O were all magnified in their importance. Generally I don't criticize a team which puts up 350+ yards of offense, however today I will take issue with Price's now mandatory 40+ yard pass drop (he now has one in each of our last 4 games), and Moulds mandatory 2 or 3 drops, and the O-line's self destruction inside the red-zone, and Hollis's 3 missed FG, and G. Williams misplaced confidence in the D at the beginning of the third quarter.

Despite today's nightmare the Bills still find themselves in playoff contention. With the bye coming up they will have time to figure out how to fix their problems. Perhaps, once I take a closer look at the game, this wouldn't look as bad as it did... however, I doubt it. Unfortunately, I don't know how you fix over pursuit and poor tackling in just one extra week. Oh well, they better come up with something or the Chiefs will make the final score of this last game look like it was close in comparison.

colin
11-03-2002, 05:01 PM
I agree with your analysis except for the fact that Grey did a garbage job. He put and kept Wire in there when Jenkins would have stopped some of the hemouraging. He made no freaking adjustment at all and just stayed in the soft D look you were talking about.

I don't think we were forced away from the run as much as we just gave up on it. I was watching the game in the Net and I was the boxscore the whole time, we basically put in a token run here and there and we moved the ball pretty well when we did. An off tackle or straight up the gut dive would have shredded that odd D we were facing, but we never gave it a chance.

Our tacking sucked bad, but it was matched by our coaching, in motivation, preperation, adjustments, and game management. It was the worst.

casdhf
11-03-2002, 05:03 PM
If something sucks bad, does that mean that it was good? :scratch:

Buffarama
11-03-2002, 05:13 PM
What kind of idiot of a coach would be worried about taking away the Pats deep threat? Brady lives of the short underneath and dump off passes. The way you beat Brady is MAKE him throw long.
This is the kind of stuff that makes me insane, and call for these coaches heads. This is just pure ignorant stupidity.

Ingtar33
11-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by colin
I agree with your analysis except for the fact that Grey did a garbage job. He put and kept Wire in there when Jenkins would have stopped some of the hemouraging. He made no freaking adjustment at all and just stayed in the soft D look you were talking about.

I don't think we were forced away from the run as much as we just gave up on it. I was watching the game in the Net and I was the boxscore the whole time, we basically put in a token run here and there and we moved the ball pretty well when we did. An off tackle or straight up the gut dive would have shredded that odd D we were facing, but we never gave it a chance.

Our tacking sucked bad, but it was matched by our coaching, in motivation, preperation, adjustments, and game management. It was the worst.

I agree to a point...
The defensive game plan to start the game was not great. Against the Pats, you have to bump their receivers, and sit on the quick slants and outs... the Bills D game plan today was too vanilla, giving the Pats the underneath stuff. I was so flabbergasted by the D play calling I seriously doubted that the Bills coaching staff even bothered to watch the Pats in preparation for this game. It looked to me that they called the same game they normally do... sort of a universal defensive game plan. But by the time the third quarter came around Grey stopped giving them the short screens and dumps. Calling for press coverage, and putting a spy on the backs. It didn't matter, as the second half was even worst than the first, as instead of stopping the screens, the Bills just missed their tackles. Grey put them in the position to stop the Pats (in the 2nd half) and it didn't matter. That’s why I'm refusing to crucify Grey for this game.

Gilbride could have run a little bit more, however the Bills hardly had the ball (the Pats held it for 34 minutes), and by the time the Bills got the ball for the second time in the 3rd quarter the game was over at 24-7 and 20minutes left. They were forced into a 2minute drill from the end of the 2nd quarter through the rest of the game, as the Pats didn't punt once in the second half. Explain to me what’s an O is supposed to do when the D can’t get one punt in an entire half?

SABURZFAN
11-03-2002, 05:38 PM
WE STUNK!!!!!

colin
11-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33

I agree to a point...
The defensive game plan to start the game was not great. Against the Pats, you have to bump their receivers, and sit on the quick slants and outs... the Bills D game plan today was too vanilla, giving the Pats the underneath stuff. I was so flabbergasted by the D play calling I seriously doubted that the Bills coaching staff even bothered to watch the Pats in preparation for this game. It looked to me that they called the same game they normally do... sort of a universal defensive game plan. But by the time the third quarter came around Grey stopped giving them the short screens and dumps. Calling for press coverage, and putting a spy on the backs. It didn't matter, as the second half was even worst than the first, as instead of stopping the screens, the Bills just missed their tackles. Grey put them in the position to stop the Pats (in the 2nd half) and it didn't matter. That’s why I'm refusing to crucify Grey for this game.

Gilbride could have run a little bit more, however the Bills hardly had the ball (the Pats held it for 34 minutes), and by the time the Bills got the ball for the second time in the 3rd quarter the game was over at 24-7 and 20minutes left. They were forced into a 2minute drill from the end of the 2nd quarter through the rest of the game, as the Pats didn't punt once in the second half. Explain to me what’s an O is supposed to do when the D can’t get one punt in an entire half?

The fact that this same D did well against Denver and Detroit makes me feel that why they are probably always going to be below average, they can still show up.

Looking back the the first Indy blow out last year, I have always been on the look out for comments from opposing Offensive players, one player on that Indy team said they "Pretty much knew what they were gonna do every time", and I think that was the case today. We are so predictable that the same play (screens like you mentioned above) worked over and over again. While our players were some sad garbage for sure, the preperation was what the worst. We did some OK things against NE last year, and we made them fight to beat us. They did not even have to try today, it was like playing a video game on easy, just run the same play over and over and watch the computer not adjust. I submit that some preperation would have given out D a chance at making some plays and not giving it away, and that our coaches just did not prepare.

TigerJ
11-03-2002, 06:11 PM
I'll leave the technical analysis to guys like Ingtar who are eminently more qualified than I to do it. I can only say what I have said elsewhere, and seems to be supported by Ingtar's analysis, Buffalo got out coached and outexecuted today.

The_Philster
11-03-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I'll leave the technical analysis to guys like Ingtar who are eminently more qualified than I to do it. I can only say what I have said elsewhere, and seems to be supported by Ingtar's analysis, Buffalo got out coached and outexecuted today.

We'll get plenty of long technical analysis from Wys too....and I do mean LONG!!

Ingtar33
11-03-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by colin

The fact that this same D did well against Denver and Detroit makes me feel that why they are probably always going to be below average, they can still show up.

Looking back the the first Indy blow out last year, I have always been on the look out for comments from opposing Offensive players, one player on that Indy team said they "Pretty much knew what they were gonna do every time", and I think that was the case today. We are so predictable that the same play (screens like you mentioned above) worked over and over again. While our players were some sad garbage for sure, the preperation was what the worst. We did some OK things against NE last year, and we made them fight to beat us. They did not even have to try today, it was like playing a video game on easy, just run the same play over and over and watch the computer not adjust. I submit that some preperation would have given out D a chance at making some plays and not giving it away, and that our coaches just did not prepare.

Quite right... in fact I'm a little bit jealous that I didn't think of the video game reference myself.

colin
11-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33

Quite right... in fact I'm a little bit jealous that I didn't think of the video game reference myself.

Ing, DON'T AGREE WITH ME!!!

I am angry and ranting, you are being calm and reasonable.

You should say "We will make the necessary adjustments and destroy KC. Our players will play like it is for their jobs, which it will is."

And a nice word for Big Pat would be nice once in a while too.
Even I can see the silver linning on our defensive cloud.

DIHARD2
11-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Again another well written piece thinking.

But after today's game I will no longer stick up for G. W. and his coaching staff.

We were outcoached period!!!

I saw a lot of missed tackles yes, but I did not see any adjustment after the half by the defensive coordinator. If we would have lost by 7 or even 10, as I stated earlier in another thread, then I would have had to say that it was the young players and that's the way it is.

What I saw was 0 preparation by the coaching staff and that's what PO me.

I know we have an 8/8 team on paper but to be embarrassed the way we were today was unacceptable. It all comes down to one thing and that is, the coaches are the ones who are supposed to control the game. They are the ones who were supposed to calm this team down and prepare them.

I don't know if they went into this game thinking it was already won, but again the coaches are the ones who are supposed to keep the young guys in reality which I didn't see today.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

jdbillsfan
11-03-2002, 10:47 PM
1 thing I don't think I understand about our Defense is the idea of the outside LB's to funnel everything inside to the Middle or Middle LB. Can't the Outside person just try and make the tackle? It seems like sometimes our guys just stand there or try to move outside and let the guy go inside and it's not working. I may be wrong, but it seems like I noticed a few times were the OLB could have tried to make a tackle and instead tried to force the action to the middle. Does this logic makes sense to anyone?

Of course it doesn't help that our LB's suck, but that's different story.