X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Chris Mortenson on the Bills

pat-phillly: rothelisberger better choice than eli or rivers?

Chris Mortensen: (2:20 PM ET ) I wouldn't say that. I now believe Eli will end up being a major star. I think JP Losman (Buffalo) might end up being as good or better than any of them. Rothelisberger should be a good one, though, and Rivers will have to overcome a Chargers' franchise that is struggling for excellence.

Dennis (Buffalo): You often hear that an NFL team will employ a very "vanilla" offfence in the preseason as to not give away anything for the regular season. Any chance this applies to o-line blocking schemes as well??? If not, I don't think the Bills have a prayer of going very far in the AFC

Chris Mortensen: (1:40 PM ET ) Are you serious? The Bills have played one preseason game. It is a new scheme. The last component of an offense in a new scheme to come together is usually the line. The other night, Travis Henry just happened to miss a few cuts he should have made. But to draw conclusions off a preseason game is ridiculous. Remember, use the preseason to evaluate new individual talent on hand - never use it to gauge or to predict a team's regular season.

Rock (Fairfax, VA): Mort, McGahee is having a great preseason, even if it is against non first stringers. Does Henry have to worry about his job safety? Are we looking at a RBBC? If so, such a shame to see Henry's talent wasted.

Chris Mortensen: (2:17 PM ET ) No! Henry has been one of the stars of Bills camp, not McGahee. But theMcGahee comeback story is so big that it's only natural to receive attention. The Bills think McGahee will be about 95 percent by mid-October, but barring an injury or a bunch of fumbles, Henry will be the team's featured back. The Bills hope to run the ball about 35 times a game - that leaves enough for McGahee to continue to make progress.

Take preseason for what it is nothing more.
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

Mortimer is the man

idiots that have given up on the season already after 1 preseason game.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by BAM
      Mortimer is the man

idiots that have given up on the season already after 1 preseason game.
      That's who I posted this for you know who you are?!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

Re: Chris Mortenson on the Bills

Originally posted by The Spaz
        Chris Mortensen: Remember, use the preseason to evaluate new individual talent on hand.
        This is a point that HenryRules and I have been harping on. Why not evaluate JP with the 1st team during pre-season? Because they - actually TD - aren't willing to admit Drew hasn't panned out. Having to use a horn or whatever for an 11 year vet is ridiculous. If he hasn't done it by now he never will.

I know the argument is "the 1st team needs all the practice they can get together". I won't argue that. BUT, that assumes that the 1st offense is set. IMO, that shouldn't be the view at this point. At least they started with Pukecillo. Still not enough however.

And the other point is this...the line is the same except for Villarial replacing RB. New schemes take time, yes...but this line has been together for at least 2 years (up to this point in time). They should know how to work with each other by now. The fact that they look exacly the same as they have proves (to me) they are going to suck once again.

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
          This is a point that HenryRules and I have been harping on. Why not evaluate JP with the 1st team during pre-season? Because they - actually TD - aren't willing to admit Drew hasn't panned out. Having to use a horn or whatever for a 12 year vet is ridiculous. If he hasn't done it by now he never will.

I know the argument is "the 1st team needs all the practice they can get together". I won't argue that. BUT, that assumes that the 1st offense is set. IMO, that shouldn't be the view at this point. At least they started with Pukecillo. Still not enough however.

And the other point is this...the line is the same except for Villarial replacing RB. New schemes take time, yes...but this line has been together for at least 2 years (up to this point in time). They should know how to work with each other by now. The fact that they look exacly the same as they have proves (to me) they are going to suck once again.

New schemes new offensive system new o-line coach.

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Jul 2003

Mr. Cynical - You are Wys arent you? Seriously. I know you are. You just dont rant like you used to.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

New schemes new offensive system new o-line coach.
              Still doesn't answer why they don't give JP a shot with the 1st O in pre-season. If you agree with Mort (and you posted it so you do) then you should agree JP should be given at least a shot.

As for new schemes/system/oline coach.... I agree that that is a major change. But weren't these schemes suposed to be easier/simpler for them compared to the past? And it wasn't like they were tying some crazy plays either.

Bottom line is that the pass protection is non-existant. Regardless of schemes/systems/coaches, there should always be at least some sort of baseline of competency in this regard. They have never had it and imo never will at this point. The talent is simply not there.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

It's still a new system and style wether it is more simple or not and what was supposed to be really effected by the simplicity was more the WR's.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

I think the reason they don't put JP with the 1st team is because the NFL has a line in Vegas on the game. That is the only conclusion that I can ever come up with as to why teams in the preseason don't put in 2nd stringers during the 1st quarter, teams punt, go for it on 4th and 1 or 2, and why do they kneel down to end the half/game.

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
                    Mr. Cynical - You are Wys arent you? Seriously. I know you are. You just dont rant like you used to.
                    can't be..you've seen Wys' articles, haven't you? He simply isn't able to write short posts.
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
                      You got me. I am really Wys. I don't rant like I used to so that I can hide my identity. Not anymore though. Thanks for blowing it for me.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I will disagree with you, Mr. Cynical/Wys. I think the reason the Bills won't play Losman with the starters is simply that they believe he needs more time before he's ready to be an NFL starter, regardless of whether or not Bledsoe can handle it. I do think JP Losman represents something of a hedging on TD's original bet on Bledsoe.

I agree that the Bills have to get much better play out of their offensive line or Bledsoe will be ineffective. It's not that Bledsoe was terrible in the first preseason game. He wasn't. It's just that he is and always be immobile. If you have a line that can't pass block you simply have to have a QB who can move around and throw on the run. If the Bills pass blocking continues to be pathetic, defences will continue to stack the line, taking away the run and daring Drew to pass.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                          • Jul 2002

Re: Chris Mortenson on the Bills

pat-phillly: rothelisberger better choice than eli or rivers?

Chris Mortensen: (2:20 PM ET ) I wouldn't say that. I now believe Eli will end up being a major star. I think JP Losman (Buffalo) might end up being as good or better than any of them.

Damn. I like hearing that

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
                            I will disagree with you, Mr. Cynical/Wys.

ROFLMAO!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

i really dont think mr. cynical is wys.. but i do know wys is still on this board, because when he called me the other day, he said that he really liked my write up on the preseason game.. and i thought to myself.. hmm.. i only posted that on the board... soooo.....

and i have seen mr. cynical disagree with wys on several issues.. but their opinion on bledsoe is so similar that it is erie.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X