PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Z visits AFC East training camps...

Ickybaluky
08-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Dr. Z has his AFC East Camp visits (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/08/18/drz.column/index.html). There are some interesting notes about Mularky and Henry for Buffalo fans.

On Henry:

I was intrigued at the tone of the various interviews to which Travis Henry was subjected. The 5-9, 215-pound Henry is not a good back, he's a great one. Also heroic. Gained 1,356 yards, playing on a cracked ankle with torn rib cartilage. "No back in the league gives me as much trouble," says the Dolphins' MLB Zach Thomas. "I'm short, and I can get leverage on the backs, but not Henry. I can't get under him. And he runs so hard. I hate trying to tackle him." So Henry's reward is that every day he has to listen to the same set of questions two, three four times, that invariably begin, "So how do you feel about McGahee ...?" (fill in the blanks) or "You think they'll trade you after the season." And his jaw sets and he usually answers the same way. "All I can say is that I'm very proud of what I've accomplished in Buffalo." Finally I couldn't stand it anymore, and I got him alone, and in my most fatherly tone, told him, "Look, just keep answering these questions the way you have, and don't lose your temper, and then play out the rest of your contract here and sign somewhere else for three times what you're making. There are teams that would kill to get a back like you." "That's what I plan to do," he said.

On Mularky:

I'd never had a real talk with Mularkey, the new head coach, before. He'd been a back-up tight end most of his career, a meat-and-potatoes guy, but when he became the Steelers' offensive coordinator, the imps of zaniness suddenly burst loose, and wow, the stuff he pulled. That's what I wanted to talk to him about. Goal-line play against the Vikings. Kordell Stewart walks away from the center and yells over to Hines Ward. Then the ball is directly snapped to Jerome Bettis on the weak side, and off he goes, through a confused defense. How? Why? Who? "Actually, Dick Hoak, our running backs coach, thought it up," Mularkey said, "but it was me that called it in the game. When Kordell yelled, 'Hines!' that was the snap count. You always see it, when a quarterback walks away from center, usually the defense takes a knee. And the corners start adjusting their wrist bands. See, you get 'em to pause for a count, then you hit 'em in the teeth." Sneak-attack football, unmanly, downright nasty. "Aw c'mon." Mularkey said. "What's the defense always specialize in? Deception, right? So what's wrong if the offense does it, too? Hey, listen to this one. The very next week we ran the same play again, only this time we had a reverse off it. We figured they'd all be flying to Jerome. Guess what? The defense took a knee again ... and they got pounded again. "We had three plays off of that thing, a trap, a sweep and a bootleg." And Mularkey had an old Pop Warner double-wing that he put in after studying the playbook of a high school coach in Florida who ran it. And he says he has the first book ever written on the "true single-wing," and someday you just might see the Bills lining up in it ... "only if you have the right personnel for it on the field," he says. "When we ran it in camp it was amazing, the confusion all the misdirection caused. You could have defensive guys flowing in different directions. They were running all over the place." During a vacation in Alaska last summer, he talked to the winningest high school coach in the state, whose team ran out of multiple-wing formations. "He told me the biggest key was to tell a defense that had to face it -- 'Don't move.'" He says he couldn't take it farther in Pittsburgh because he didn't have a real say in personnel, and to make it work you had to have the right kind of players. But in Buffalo? Who knows what could be on the horizon? "I was watching our wideout, Bobby Shaw, throwing the ball in practice the other day, just goofing around," Mularkey says. "I asked him, 'You ever play quarterback?' He said, 'Why?' I told him, 'Just curious.' We drafted a wideout in the seventh round who's an ex-quarterback. Jonathan Smith. Who knows. Whether or not he makes the team may depend on how well he throws the ball."

kardshark19
08-19-2004, 04:02 AM
awesome write-ups...i like how he does it. he do any other divisions yet...didn't see them in the archives.

he makes me feel kinda bad for the dulphins :snicker:

BAM
08-19-2004, 06:17 AM
So how do you feel about McGahee ...?" "You think they'll trade you after the season."

Henry: "All I can say is that I'm very proud of what I've accomplished in Buffalo."

Finally I couldn't stand it anymore, and I got him alone, and in my most fatherly tone, told him, "Look, just keep answering these questions the way you have, and don't lose your temper, and then play out the rest of your contract here and sign somewhere else for three times what you're making. There are teams that would kill to get a back like you."

Henry: "That's what I plan to do," he said.

Someone will spin this as negative comments by Henry... :rolleyes:

ryjam282
08-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Good write ups...I like the multiple wing formations setup talk...

TigerJ
08-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Mularkey's a surprising guy. Most of the time he's hard nosed basic football, but then he hits you with some real out of the box stuff. He should make the Bills fun to watch one way or another.

casdhf
08-19-2004, 08:04 AM
I like MM alot, but I hope he lets Jerry Gray do his own thing on defense.

The Spaz
08-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
I like MM alot, but I hope he lets Jerry Gray do his own thing on defense.

I haven't heard otherwise.

Tatonka
08-19-2004, 08:38 AM
it really makes me sad to think of henry as anything other than a bill.

i would be alot less disappointed if this season was just used to build the hype up for WM and then traded him.

i can just see us trading henry.. then WM gets hurt again.. with his 3rd major knee injury.. the bills will be dead in the water.

justasportsfan
08-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

Same here. Don't worry, TD is not an idiot.

Tatonka
08-19-2004, 08:55 AM
i hope not.

Mr. Miyagi
08-19-2004, 08:58 AM
I'll be happy to trade Henry for a high 1st rounder - NEXT YEAR.

The Spaz
08-19-2004, 09:00 AM

i would be alot less disappointed if this season was just used to build the hype up for WM and then traded him.

i can just see us trading henry.. then WM gets hurt again.. with his 3rd major knee injury.. the bills will be dead in the water.

Are you guaranteeing McGahee has another knee injury. I would not allow myself to have such thoughts.:miyagi: That's how I am able to go throughout the season stress free by goign game by game year by year etc. I don't dwell on things or try and predict what will happen just go with the flow.

Mr. Miyagi
08-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Had a brief talk with [Donnie Henderson, Jets OC]. Got ready for the worst, the usual cliches about being more aggressive, being more of an attacking defense, and all that blah blah. (Does anyone ever say we have to be less aggressive? Or more mental instead of more physical? Does any offensive coach say, instead of, "We're gonna mix it up and spread the ball around," ... we're gonna spread it less and limit it to our good players?)

:snicker: --- Yeah, the Randy Ratio. :D

Bill Brasky
08-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by NE39
Finally I couldn't stand it anymore, and I got him alone, and in my most fatherly tone, told him, "Look, just keep answering these questions the way you have, and don't lose your temper, and then play out the rest of your contract here and sign somewhere else for three times what you're making. There are teams that would kill to get a back like you." "That's what I plan to do," he said.

It sucks to know that this guy has been one of our best players and yet he knows he's gone after this season. The only good thing I see coming out of this is if he knows he's gone he will play even better to showcase what he has.

I tend to take whatever Dr. Z says with a grain of salt... a lot of his predictions are way off.

Ed
08-19-2004, 10:44 AM
It definitely sounds like Travis has one foot out the door and like he's basically treating this season as a tryout for another team.

I'm sure he's going to play as hard as he can, but I hope he's not focusing so much on himself and his personal accomplishments that he loses sight of the team goals.

Not that I blame him for having questions or doubts about his future, I just hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the team.

Tatonka
08-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Are you guaranteeing McGahee has another knee injury. I would not allow myself to have such thoughts.:miyagi: That's how I am able to go throughout the season stress free by goign game by game year by year etc. I don't dwell on things or try and predict what will happen just go with the flow.

no.. but i am saying that he is alot more likely to get hurt.. i mean lets be real.. the guy has never made it more than 2 years without having one of his knees damaged.. he hurt his knee in high school.. then hurt it bad in college 2x.. and came out as a junior..

dont tell me that your going to be completely surprised or caught off guard if you see mcgahee laying on the ground holding his knee with 3 surgically repaired ligaments in it.

don137
08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I don't want to label McGahee as injury prone with bad knees just yet. I did not see how he was hurt in high school but I do not know if any athlete would of suffered any less of an injury from the hit he took from Will Allen in the Fiesta Bowl. If he was making a cut that is one thing but he was drilled right in the knee..

With that said I love both players but I have to give a big nod to Henry for what he played with last year. This guy has to be one of the most under appreciated player in the NFL. Some media and fans have his bags already packed...The Bills could get a top 5 pick for McGahee next year.

THATHURMANATOR
08-19-2004, 11:09 AM
Yes its not like his Knee injury in the fiesta bowl was one of those freak "cutting wrong and it gave out" injuries. It was a solid helmut and shoulder into his knee.

casdhf
08-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Good point, Thrum

:thurm:

EDS
08-19-2004, 11:20 AM
I think the assumption that Henry is a goner at the end of the season is a bit premature. The deciding factor will be whether McGahee shows anything this season to warrant a starting position. If he doesn't then it is hard to imagine TD trading Henry. If McGahee blows up then the Bills are in a great position to trade one of the backs for picks or players to fill other holes.

Let's all reserve judgement at least until midseason.

saviorbledsoe
08-19-2004, 11:42 AM
HEY MIKEY

Have you seen any of these tricks plays in practice? Like the direct snap play while Drew is talking to Moulds?????????????

The Spaz
08-19-2004, 11:52 AM
no.. but i am saying that he is alot more likely to get hurt.. i mean lets be real.. the guy has never made it more than 2 years without having one of his knees damaged.. he hurt his knee in high school.. then hurt it bad in college 2x.. and came out as a junior..

dont tell me that your going to be completely surprised or caught off guard if you see mcgahee laying on the ground holding his knee with 3 surgically repaired ligaments in it.

I'll tell you anything I please.:snicker: