PDA

View Full Version : Game day observations

Kelly The Dog
08-22-2004, 11:21 AM
1. We saved a roster spot as there seems absolutely no reason not to have Terrence McGee as the #1 KR. The guy is a player, without question. He makes great decisions, he has an incredible burst of speed, he was an excellent returner in college, did well the few times asked last year and excellent this year. All three of his returns yesterday were very good. He's a playmaker. This is a no-brainer. Up until today, I felt perhaps we need to give A. Brown one more chance but we could free up a roster spot using our #3 corner there. McGee is one tough, fast, shifty hombre with the knack for excitement and big plays.

2. If Drew plays like he did yesterday, barring a series of injuries, we're going to the playoffs. What he did is all he needs to do. He made quick, decisive decisions. He threw the ball on a rope. He avoided the rush. He made a couple fairly bad throws (having his pass tipped at the line when Henry was hurt, and the grounding penalty (but if you watch the replay there was not a single Bill open anyway).

3. The line may not be terrible. Smith looked pretty good. Williams looked fair to me but needs the time. The play that Henry got killed for a 7 yard loss he looked like he just blocked the wrong man, and didn't "get blown up by Kevin Carter" like the news said. He blocked the guy opposite him when he should have blocked the guy, Carter, inside of him because he had the RG pulling. He made a couple nice blocks. Teague was again solid in the middle to me. I watched the Denver game again and Teague was very solid that game.

4. Yesterday was a good indication of why we shouldnt and won't trade either back. It's too easy to get hurt. And it's great to have a guy like McGahee if Travis goes down, even if Willis still is not even close to 100%.

5. Ron Edwards actually made a couple nice plays. He looks better.

6. Even though Calico made a tremendous touchdown catch against Vincent, TV really had good coverage and that is a break-up 95% of the time. Vincent looked sluggish on his breaks the rest of the game though. I expect him to play well over the course of the season but he was beat regularly.

7. The first defense, despite the stats, is going to be fine. They are the least worry.

8. I was hoping Wire would come on but he is not ready. Reese is okay as a starter. We have two good back-up corners in McGee and Thomas, both of whom have had excellent camps and games.

9. Gotta love London Fletcher on the KR team. He abuses people and loves to hit and gets good leverage on his blocks. It looks like our ST may be a strength. April has done a good job so far of picking players.

10. Clements seems much improved over last year.

11. The defensive ends were terrible the entire game. All of them, with isolated, very infrequent good plays.

12. Obviously, very disappointed in all the penalties, especially the personal fouls. That cannot be tolerated. I would bet Mularkey abused them in the locker room over it.

13. So far, I really like the play-calling of Tom Clements. We run enough but we still throw on first down, actually use play-action, throw a lot of safe quick passes, and yet will go deep enough not to let the defense creep up. The mix has been pretty good so far. Yeah, we threw on 3rd and 2 but we must do that sometimes. The problem is when you always do one or the other. The pass on 3rd and inches was just plain smart play-calling, knowing you would go for it on 4th in the pre-season game. They set up reverses. They ran a lot of formations.

14. I can't say enough about Losman. I love the guy's attitude. That was a tremendous play on 3rd and forever that got Lindell in position to kick a 49 yard FG. He's quick to take off but he looks downfield when he can before he runs. he is very green but seems to have a great future. TD, IMO, made a great trade by using this year to groom our future QB. Remains to be seen if he is a good NFL quarterback but early signs are that the kid has got game skills and a ton of talent.

15. Lindell suddenly discovered he has a strong leg. If he could get it a little higher that would help. It's a fine line between distance and hang-time. He still kicks a little too low but it is better than we have had for a few years.

The Spaz
08-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Very nice assessment and I agree.:up::beers:

ShadowHawk7
08-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Yes indeed, a very good analysis Kelly. :clap:
Except, I think you're letting the D off a little too much. What did Fletcher do on ST again? I know he did something great, I just can't remember what.

Kelly The Dog
08-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Yes indeed, a very good analysis Kelly. :clap:
Except, I think you're letting the D off a little too much. What did Fletcher do on ST again? I know he did something great, I just can't remember what.

On McGee's long 81 yard return, Fletcher just barrelled into a Titan running full speed and knocked him backwards and flying to the turf in one smack. Hard to say if the guy would have made the tackle on McGee from the angle I saw but I think it sprung Terrence. And that wasn't the first time Fletcher has done that this pre-season. He really is an excellent blocker because of his strength combined with his short stature and ability to uncoil in microseconds and small spaces. He also clearly loves to pound people, a really smart choice by April.

RedEyE
08-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Great assessment K-Dog! :up:

I agree with everything that you wrote with the exception of your comments on the OL. I think you might be overly optimistic on their play. They lack faith in each other the discipline to get themselvesto the next level. Now, I do believe that McNally can get things rolling, but he's running out of time quickly.

Your comments about Drew are right on. This is all we need from him. We do not need a Pro Bowl QB in Drew Bledsoe, we need a solid preformer that eludes the mistakes.

The DE looked tremendously different a week ago. It's like night and day with this group. Kris Brown was tearing up the new Buffalo turf...right...up..the...middle. Now, I can understand getting blocked out of the play now and again, but how and the hell is Williams, Adams and Fletcher all being taken out of the play. I do not want to see another season having a SS as our leading tackler. That **** won't fly.

About the officials, I think the refs were over officiating rather than letting the game paly itself out. The numerous off-setting penalties were driving me nuts.

ScottLawrence
08-22-2004, 05:48 PM
1. We saved a roster spot as there seems absolutely no reason not to have Terrence McGee as the #1 KR. The guy is a player, without question. He makes great decisions, he has an incredible burst of speed, he was an excellent returner in college, did well the few times asked last year and excellent this year. All three of his returns yesterday were very good. He's a playmaker. This is a no-brainer. Up until today, I felt perhaps we need to give A. Brown one more chance but we could free up a roster spot using our #3 corner there. McGee is one tough, fast, shifty hombre with the knack for excitement and big plays.

2. If Drew plays like he did yesterday, barring a series of injuries, we're going to the playoffs. What he did is all he needs to do. He made quick, decisive decisions. He threw the ball on a rope. He avoided the rush. He made a couple fairly bad throws (having his pass tipped at the line when Henry was hurt, and the grounding penalty (but if you watch the replay there was not a single Bill open anyway).

3. The line may not be terrible. Smith looked pretty good. Williams looked fair to me but needs the time. The play that Henry got killed for a 7 yard loss he looked like he just blocked the wrong man, and didn't "get blown up by Kevin Carter" like the news said. He blocked the guy opposite him when he should have blocked the guy, Carter, inside of him because he had the RG pulling. He made a couple nice blocks. Teague was again solid in the middle to me. I watched the Denver game again and Teague was very solid that game.

4. Yesterday was a good indication of why we shouldnt and won't trade either back. It's too easy to get hurt. And it's great to have a guy like McGahee if Travis goes down, even if Willis still is not even close to 100%.

5. Ron Edwards actually made a couple nice plays. He looks better.

6. Even though Calico made a tremendous touchdown catch against Vincent, TV really had good coverage and that is a break-up 95% of the time. Vincent looked sluggish on his breaks the rest of the game though. I expect him to play well over the course of the season but he was beat regularly.

7. The first defense, despite the stats, is going to be fine. They are the least worry.

8. I was hoping Wire would come on but he is not ready. Reese is okay as a starter. We have two good back-up corners in McGee and Thomas, both of whom have had excellent camps and games.

9. Gotta love London Fletcher on the KR team. He abuses people and loves to hit and gets good leverage on his blocks. It looks like our ST may be a strength. April has done a good job so far of picking players.

10. Clements seems much improved over last year.

11. The defensive ends were terrible the entire game. All of them, with isolated, very infrequent good plays.

12. Obviously, very disappointed in all the penalties, especially the personal fouls. That cannot be tolerated. I would bet Mularkey abused them in the locker room over it.

13. So far, I really like the play-calling of Tom Clements. We run enough but we still throw on first down, actually use play-action, throw a lot of safe quick passes, and yet will go deep enough not to let the defense creep up. The mix has been pretty good so far. Yeah, we threw on 3rd and 2 but we must do that sometimes. The problem is when you always do one or the other. The pass on 3rd and inches was just plain smart play-calling, knowing you would go for it on 4th in the pre-season game. They set up reverses. They ran a lot of formations.

14. I can't say enough about Losman. I love the guy's attitude. That was a tremendous play on 3rd and forever that got Lindell in position to kick a 49 yard FG. He's quick to take off but he looks downfield when he can before he runs. he is very green but seems to have a great future. TD, IMO, made a great trade by using this year to groom our future QB. Remains to be seen if he is a good NFL quarterback but early signs are that the kid has got game skills and a ton of talent.

15. Lindell suddenly discovered he has a strong leg. If he could get it a little higher that would help. It's a fine line between distance and hang-time. He still kicks a little too low but it is better than we have had for a few years.

Nice, so you have no worries and don't buy into the struggles of the rushing defense?

The Spaz
08-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Nice, so you have no worries and don't buy into the struggles of the rushing defense?

I don't there's no game planning involved. Preseason is what it is.

Kelly The Dog
08-22-2004, 05:56 PM

No. Not really, or not yet I should say. This is a veteran team. Sam Adams doesn't really like pre-season. The Titans are an excellent test, with veteran players and terrific coaching. McNair was co-MVP last year. The first defense did what it did a lot last year, gave up a bunch of third downs for firsts and then stiffened when it needed to, twice in a row in fact with less than a yard to go. For all those yards and ten minutes off the clock the Titans scored a grand total of zero points. They scored one TD on the first team, and it was a tremendous play. You are not going to stop teams every series, especially in pre-season. What you need to do is keep them off the scoreboard. We gave up one TD and (basically) scored a FG ourselves after Posey's strip deep in Titan territory. Chris Brown had huge chunks of yardage but frankly, our run defense is the very least worry on our team. Adams and Phat Pat and Fletcher and Spikes are going to be fine.

Jayhawk
08-22-2004, 07:29 PM
great report man. I am still worried about the line with an imobile line

Goobylal
08-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Great assessment K-Dog! :up:

I agree with everything that you wrote with the exception of your comments on the OL. I think you might be overly optimistic on their play. They lack faith in each other the discipline to get themselvesto the next level. Now, I do believe that McNally can get things rolling, but he's running out of time quickly.

Your comments about Drew are right on. This is all we need from him. We do not need a Pro Bowl QB in Drew Bledsoe, we need a solid preformer that eludes the mistakes.

The DE looked tremendously different a week ago. It's like night and day with this group. Kris Brown was tearing up the new Buffalo turf...right...up..the...middle. Now, I can understand getting blocked out of the play now and again, but how and the hell is Williams, Adams and Fletcher all being taken out of the play. I do not want to see another season having a SS as our leading tackler. That **** won't fly.

About the officials, I think the refs were over officiating rather than letting the game paly itself out. The numerous off-setting penalties were driving me nuts.

The O-line from last night has played a total of ONE practice together (this past Tuesday), so them not having faith in each other is understandable. That will come in time, but how fast remains to be seen. If each guy merely does his job, they'll do fine, and once they develop as a unit, they could be very good. Smith needs more time to get comfortable at LG and Williams needs to work his way back into staring RT shape.

As for the defense, they looked bad last pre-season, if you recall. I remember more than a few people who said Adams looked like he didn't care (and they were right since it was meaningless pre-season) and should be cut. That's what you saw last night. Why risk injury in a meaningless pre-season game when already you know what you can do?

finsrclowns
08-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Nice post Kelley the Dog. I agree about the run D- Sam Adams is the key and when he wants to play, which he will once they drop the real flag, the middle will be solid.

To me, the OL's progress will tell the tale on this season. We will go as far as that line takes us.

EDS
08-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Nice post Kelley the Dog. I agree about the run D- Sam Adams is the key and when he wants to play, which he will once they drop the real flag, the middle will be solid.

To me, the OL's progress will tell the tale on this season. We will go as far as that line takes us.

I agree with both statements. Once the proverbial bullets are flying for real Sam and Pat will stiffen up the middle of the defense. Plus, with Edwards improved play and Anderson showing a little something it looks like depth will be improved this year.

With the o-line, an injury free week of practice should help the units cohesiveness.

justasportsfan
08-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Our pass D sucks. It sucked against Denver, luckily they were dropping the balls. Against the Titans, same thing. Vincent needs to get better. He was getting burned.

Kolbiss
08-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks!!

elltrain22
08-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Very nice assessments. Good read, and good opinions.