• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Thoughts on Rashaud Baker (FS)

I think this kid has looked great. Always seems to be in the play. Whenever a ball went deep, he was there. When someone tried to come across on a deep post, he was there. He even blitzed a few times and got good pressure. What do you guys think of him? I honestly think he will be our starter sometime this season...

Ryan

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

• Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

I hope they install him as a starter sooner rather than later. Let him take his lumps early so that he'll be fine by later-on in the season. I just haven't been impressed with any of the other FS's, including Reese.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
      I hope they install him as a starter sooner rather than later. Let him take his lumps early so that he'll be fine by later-on in the season. I just haven't been impressed with any of the other FS's, including Reese.
      i couldnt agree more.

i was really really pulling for coy wire.. but it does not look like that is going to work out.. so let coy back up milloy.. and be the steve tasker of the team.

put baker at FS and let that slug reese back him up.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• juice
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ryjam282
        I think this kid has looked great. Always seems to be in the play. Whenever a ball went deep, he was there. When someone tried to come across on a deep post, he was there. He even blitzed a few times and got good pressure. What do you guys think of him? I honestly think he will be our starter sometime this season...

Ryan
        Rookies at FS tend to end up as Burnt Toast. No experience and he is only 5'10.. Look at the first Titan TD pass where Vincint got outjumped in the corner of the Endzone.. You need size at FS in the NFL, unless you have corners with the athletic ability of Bailey or Woodson.

Baker definitly deserves a shot but he lacks the experience to be the starter and the size to be effective in this Defense.. But I would keep him before Wire, he seems to be able to do the things that Coy can do and isn't a coverage liability.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• juice
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
          .. and be the steve tasker of the team.

put baker at FS and let that slug reese back him up.
          How many times did the Starting DB's get beat Deep in the Titans game.. Now what kind of confidence would you have if Coy "Coverage Liability" Wire was sitting back there.

Baker is a rookie and he will get his shot but he has the size of a CB.

I haven't seen Reese do anything to hurt himself as the starter, He just plays a solid FS, Coverage first, run support second.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
            • Aug 2004

yeah I like him alot, but give him some time in preseason to see if he can get some reps in. I like that Coy could be a good speical teams player
            http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
              How many times did the Starting DB's get beat Deep in the Titans game.. Now what kind of confidence would you have if Coy "Coverage Liability" Wire was sitting back there.

Baker is a rookie and he will get his shot but he has the size of a CB.

I haven't seen Reese do anything to hurt himself as the starter, He just plays a solid FS, Coverage first, run support second.

Thats more the problem than the answer. Reese is solid we will all agree with that but he aint much better than that and thats a problem. You want a playmaker at FS and Baker has to this point shown that potential Reese has not, he's a stop gap not a starter. Time to hand the reins over imo. Also its not all about size. Baker runs the 40 like a CB which allows for him to be undersized bc he can come over the top of the routes. Also FS arent typically the ones going up for jumpballs, thats the CB jobs bc typically they are only thrown in 1-on-1 coverage. Baker was compared to Reese in the sporting news draft guide, just a much better playmaker, with better hands. Give Baker his shot!
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ryjam282
                Offical Billszone Starting QB
                • Mar 2003

I have to agree Draftboy. What does a FS and a jumpball pass to the outside in a goaline situation have to do with each other? I can't remember the last time I saw Ronnie Lott get over and swat a ball down on one of those goaline fade routes. But, anyways, Baker has shown me a lot and I would like to see what could do against the starting units in the future and see if he is for real. He has been playing lights out since we signed him.

Ryan Withey
                Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

It's nice to have a free safety who's 6'3" and runs like a gazelle, but there are free safeties who've made it and haven't been any bigger than Baker. I've forgotten his name, but Tennessee (with Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator) had a strong safety who was a lot smaller than might be considered ideal for the role he played, but he did it and did it well. I don't think it's any different for free safety.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Personally, I think Baker is doing fine and that we should keep him as a backup. Milloy isn't going to be with us forever. My only concern is roster spots. But with Mularkey using vets to play special teams, some of the people kept specifically for special teams can now be let go.

My personal 1st few would be: Jon Dorenbos, Antonion Brown, Clarence Colemen, K. Beard, Drew Haddad, R. Trafford...to start with.

I don't think any of these has shown anything worth anything before or during the pre-season so far. They're cannon fodder to me.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                      It's nice to have a free safety who's 6'3" and runs like a gazelle, but there are free safeties who've made it and haven't been any bigger than Baker.
                      the safeties that are 6'3" and run like gazelles are taken in the first round.. ie, sean taylor.. roy williams, and ed reed.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
                        did you even read my post??

i stated that coy has not shown enough to get the job.. and that we need to turn our focus to someone who has. that someone is baker..

reese will never be anything.. almost any free safety in the league should get at least 2-3 picks by default.. and reese cant even come close to getting that..

it has been THREE YEARS since we had a FS that got a pick during a regular season game.

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
                          Exhausted of Losing
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          it has been THREE YEARS since we had a FS that got a pick during a regular season game.
                          That is very sad.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

yeah.. it is.. and reese has been here for 2 of those.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsRockSOMUCH
                              That is very sad.
                              more that sad......it is ridiculas

Comment

Working...
                              X