PDA

View Full Version : Big problem is Bledsoe, not running backs

Novacane
08-23-2004, 10:44 AM
It's well known I'm no big fan of Drew but wth does this guy want? I thought Drew played pretty good Sat night. :scratch:

Big problem is Bledsoe, not running backs

We keep waiting for quarterback Drew Bledsoe to show us signs that he still has the skills to lead a decent Buffalo Bills team to a playoff berth this season. It didn't happen in Saturday night's 16-15 exhibition loss to the Tennessee Titans...................................

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040823/SPORTS0101/408230309/1007/SPORTS

Patrick76777
08-23-2004, 10:46 AM
It's well known I'm no big fan of Drew but wth does this guy want? I thought Drew played pretty good Sat night. :scratch:

Big problem is Bledsoe, not running backs

We keep waiting for quarterback Drew Bledsoe to show us signs that he still has the skills to lead a decent Buffalo Bills team to a playoff berth this season. It didn't happen in Saturday night's 16-15 exhibition loss to the Tennessee Titans...................................

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040823/SPORTS0101/408230309/1007/SPORTS

No doubt. I amost fell out of my chair when he actually made a move to avoid a sack. it was the play where it almost got Henry killed.

I watched that special on the NFL network last night and Bledsoe and Mularky just keep talking about running the ball and waiting for the big play. I think he'll do well if we stay with that system.

TedMock
08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Fairway To Green]It's well known I'm no big fan of Drew but wth does this guy want? I thought Drew played pretty good Sat night. :scratch:

[I agree. I mean if the guy's crapping the bed, pull him. But, 7 for 10 and 67 yards isn't bad at all. Plus, he was actually moving around a lot better in and out of the pocket. Maybe that weight loss has helped. He's hardly a running QB, but at least he moved!

buffmaniac
08-23-2004, 10:49 AM
I think Drew has showed some good signs. Getting the ball out quickly. Moving around a little bit better. As a whole, he just seems more confident and more comfortable out there. But right now it is only preseason. Hopefully he keeps it up in the regular season.

casdhf
08-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Another Mark Weiller article?

Novacane
08-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Another Mark Weiller article?

I can't wait to read his piece this week. I want to see how the bad play of our first team D gets blamed on Drew :funny:

LtBillsFan66
08-23-2004, 11:38 AM
The bomb to Moulds was a beaut.

ryjam282
08-23-2004, 11:43 AM
That article makes no sense...I mean, Bledsoe has been getting the ball out a lot quicker and the O has been moving the ball pretty well. Sure, one pass was off target to Henry resulting in the big hit. But, that happens. You expect perfect accuracy on every throw? I think Drew is doing 100 times better as of now, sure he still goes back to some of his old bad habits but that is to be expected. As long as he gets them all corrected by the season opener we will be fine.

Mr. Cynical
08-23-2004, 01:12 PM
"Bledsoe's lack of escapability could be somewhat negated if he had a nice touch on quick short passes, but he has yet to display that skill. On his only attempt to throw on the run Saturday night, his pass was behind Travis Henry and resulted in the running back's game-ending shot to the ribs."

I think this analysis is right on. Forget about the one missed pass to TH...just think back over the last 2 seasons here. I 100% remember him missing guys in the flat even when he had the time. He can chuck the deep ball very well but has major problems with short, mid range touch passes. And that's not likely to change after 11 years unfortunately.

The_Philster
08-23-2004, 04:11 PM
On his only attempt to throw on the run Saturday night, his pass was behind Travis Henry and resulted in the running back's game-ending shot to the ribs.Nice that Matthews didn't pay attention to what happened...how the ball was tipped at the LOS:shakeno:

Mr. Cynical
08-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Nice that Matthews didn't pay attention to what happened...how the ball was tipped at the LOS:shakeno:I agree, which is why I said forget about the pass to TH on that particular play. But I still agree with his assessment of his problems with short-med touch passes. I can remember a number of times over the last 2 years where Drew had the time and the open guy and flat out missed. Nobody's perfect of course, but his accuracy in that range has always been an issue. And with an "less than stellar" (to put it mildly) oline, that becomes a big time problem.

HenryRules
08-23-2004, 07:19 PM
The first thing I don't like is that our offense is not moving the ball at all well this year. Bledsoe seems to be putting up good numbers, but it's not accomplishing anything (not his fault, that's just a statement of fact) - I'd like us to try other things just to see how they work and to get some familiarity in case of injuries (this week should be an opportunity to see McGahee and we've already tried a bit on the OL).

The second thing I don't like is always having to hit that quick reply button when 95% of the posts are quick replies (but overall the site looks and feels a lot better - and I thought it was good before).