PDA

View Full Version : Big problem is the line, not running backs or Bledsoe

Ebenezer
08-23-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm still seeing the same problems on offense this team has had since 1998...not enough from the OL. I still think there are major holes and over time it will be evident. Fluite hid the problems...RJ could not over come it...DB cannot over come it and JP is not ready...

Crisis
08-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I agree.

But, RJ would suck with the great wall of china ahead of him.

Bling
08-23-2004, 05:08 PM
I agree. Pretty bad o-line.

HenryRules
08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm still seeing the same problems on offense this team has had since 1998...not enough from the OL. I still think there are major holes and over time it will be evident. Fluite hid the problems...RJ could not over come it...DB cannot over come it and JP is not ready...

I agree, yet of our first day picks on offense since then ... we've only used 2 on the OL (Williams and Jennings) and we've used a ton on the other positions (Bryson, Henry, McGahee, Reed, Evans, Losman, Bledsoe, are the ones that I can name).

Every great time has a great OL, yet we never seem to devote the picks there. Actually, even historically, we've never really drafted linemen that high ... Wolford, Ruben, and Joe D. are the only ones that I can think of that were high picks and lived up to it (and I don't think there's been too many busts).

Dozerdog
08-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I agree, yet of our first day picks on offense since then ... we've only used 2 on the OL (Williams and Jennings) and we've used a ton on the other positions (Bryson, Henry, McGahee, Reed, Evans, Losman, Bledsoe, are the ones that I can name).

Every great time has a great OL, yet we never seem to devote the picks there. Actually, even historically, we've never really drafted linemen that high ... Wolford, Ruben, and Joe D. are the only ones that I can think of that were high picks and lived up to it (and I don't think there's been too many busts).

John Richer was a 1st round pick , Mike Williams obviously, Ruben was a #1, Fina was a #1, Joe D and Reggie McKenzie were #2 picks

Linemen, guards in particular, do not go very high traditionally. OT's maybe, but many starters in this league are day 2 selections or go undrafted. Only Fullbacks and Kickers get less love on draft day

HenryRules
08-23-2004, 07:02 PM
John Richer was a 1st round pick , Mike Williams obviously, Ruben was a #1, Fina was a #1, Joe D and Reggie McKenzie were #2 picks

Linemen, guards in particular, do not go very high traditionally. OT's maybe, but many starters in this league are day 2 selections or go undrafted. Only Fullbacks and Kickers get less love on draft day

I named a few that were on your list (Ruben and Joe D) and I don't think that a guy like Fina is worth a first day pick nor has Williams proven he's worth one (McKenzie was an ommission). Even giving Fina and Williams, that's not too many worthy first day choices for a team with a long history like the Bills.

I look at a team like the early 90s Cowboys that grabbed Larry Allen, Stepnoski, and Erik Williams on the first day in a span of 3 or 4 years and those guys were the main reason for their dynasty (Newton and who was it Tuinei? helped as well on that OL of course, but those 3 were pretty standard pro bowlers).

Just because no one else likes OL doesn't mean that we have to follow the crowd - I think we can take advantage of others mistakes.

lordofgun
08-23-2004, 11:10 PM
I thought our line played ok on Saturday.

buffmaniac
08-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Me too. I think they still have a ways to go, but I was encouraged but what I saw in that game. I think the more time these guys get to play together the better they will get. And I think that McNally is very good at correcting any mistakes that these guys make. Hopefully these guys can put it all together when the regular season rolls around.

Goobylal
08-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Considering it was just the 2nd time all training camp and pre-season that group played together (the other time being last Tuesday in practice), I thought they did a pretty good job. Bledsoe wasn't sacked and Henry averaged close to 4 YPC. They should only get better as Smith gets comfortable at LG and Williams works his way back into shape.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2004, 08:46 AM
I thought our line played ok on Saturday.

I agree, and now that everyone - or at least the starters - are all relatively healthy, perhaps McNally can begin to build some cohesiveness.

Michael82
08-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Considering it was just the 2nd time all training camp and pre-season that group played together (the other time being last Tuesday in practice), I thought they did a pretty good job. Bledsoe wasn't sacked and Henry averaged close to 4 YPC. They should only get better as Smith gets comfortable at LG and Williams works his way back into shape.
Not if you take away Henry's longest run. :snicker: :ontome:

BillsRockSOMUCH
08-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Not if you take away Henry's longest run. :snicker: :ontome:
Shut up Wys. :D :snicker2:

BillsRockSOMUCH
08-24-2004, 09:20 AM
I agree, we need to be patient. It was only the 2nd time the line played together. I'm sure that on opening day we'll have our best 5 lineman out there. It's still unknown how well this line will play during the season but if they can just play average and not blow up any games we could have a very good chance at the playoffs.