• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Who's really to blame - Fans or Media?

I'm getting sick of the media's excuse, especially WGR, that the fans are causing all this arguing over McGahee/Henry.

If this was 2 years ago and Travis was injured in the preseason, do you think ESPN would do a headline story on the fact that Henry is day to day and Sammy Morris could be starting in his place?

Or how about all this finger pointing and he-said this, he-said that garbage? If it weren't for the media reporting it everyday, the fans wouldn't know what was being said and therefore wouldn't have anything to argue about with regards to the situation.

I heard one of the schmucks on WGR today say that one of the reason's they keep bringing it up is because TD and Mularkey haven't given a "clear-cut answer as to who will be starting this season" or whether or not "one will be traded this year". Mularkey has said over and over that TH is our starter and TD has said more than once that neither is going to be traded anytime soon, or even this year for that matter.

Just something to ponder, since it's the "fan's fault" that this whole situation is a big controversy. The media write the stories and report them to the fans, not the other way around, yet it's the fans' fault.
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

It's both
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
      I heard one of the schmucks on WGR today say that one of the reason's they keep bringing it up is because TD and Mularkey haven't given a "clear-cut answer as to who will be starting this season" or whether or not "one will be traded this year". Mularkey has said over and over that TH is our starter and TD has said more than once that neither is going to be traded anytime soon, or even this year for that matter.
      That's what the media does, they find something and blow it out of proportion to report it over and over again.

Imagine if there's no controversy, the media would have nothing to report, and that's not good for TV. So they find something, anything, to blow it up.

Comment

• HenryRules
        • Jul 2002

Sorry, but I fully believe that the media is a reflection of the population so I think it's the fans fault.

Yes, most serious Bills fans probably know that Henry is the starter and there will be no controversy until next season (or other unmentioned circumstances that may arise). However, most serious Bills fans will probably turn into ESPN regardless of what Bills story they run. But a casual Bills fan, or even a fan of some other team that is thinking about his fantasy league ... he's the one that tunes in to hear the McGahee story. If ESPN (when I say ESPN, I mean the media in general) doesn't think fans will tune in, then the story will get no play.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

But that's what I'm saying. The media knows controversies get them ratings, so they sometimes create a mountain out of a molehill. It's not the fans' fault that they keep an ear out for news. They didn't ask for the controversy.

Comment

• HenryRules
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
            But that's what I'm saying. The media knows controversies get them ratings, so they sometimes create a mountain out of a molehill. It's not the fans' fault that they keep an ear out for news. They didn't ask for the controversy.
            Yeah they did ... when they read it, they're asking for it.

Look, I don't read Richard Griffin (Toronto Star for non-Torontonians) because all he does is b*** about the Jays (well JP specifically). I don't read Weiler because all he does is b**** about Bledsoe.

Fans tune into what they want to hear/read and I don't think you can blame the media for providing it. If the specific company doesn't, then someone else will anyway.

It's like blaming the Papparazzi (and the papparazzi only) for celebrity homelife invasion - blame the damn housewives that pick up the s*** at the checkout counter.

Comment

• bills_7
              TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
              • Mar 2004

Its kinda nice to get some media attention around the bills lets face it, its not everyday when ESPN talks about us and its also taking away from the media focusing on bledsoe and how bad the OFF actually was lst yr.... so all in all this could help us out in the long run......since the media will be all over the RB's it will hopefully take pressure off Drew.....

if Drew starts to struggle throughout the yr the media will be all ovr a QB conterversy too.... thats jst the way the media works... they will do almost anything to get ratings.....

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I disagree. The readers shouldn't be responsible for what they're shown. There should be some ethics in media reporting. There's no journalistic integrity from creating controversies out of nowhere.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HenryRules
                  Fans tune into what they want to hear/read and I don't think you can blame the media for providing it.
                  I agree with your point, but only to a certain degree because what if your options are limited?

IE: If I tune into WGR I want to hear about the Bills, not about how the commentators are pissed because they think they aren't to blame for all this b.s. If I tune to ESPN radio I want to hear about the Bills, but all they ever talk about with regards to the Bills is McGahee and Henry, or how we lost 4 ****ing super bowls. No matter what I choose to listen to, I will get the same crap and it's not what I want to hear.

They aren't providing anything except a one sided view of the same argument day in and day out. They could at least talk about position battles or cuts about to be made, which are far more important since I think everybody here knows where both TH and WM stand on the depth chart.
                  Last edited by Bill Brasky; 08-23-2004, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Whose fault is it? Obviously the media's. We as fans don't have access to the players like the media does, nor do we have the "inside sources" who have even greater access to the players. We put our trust in the media, mostly blindly, to give us the truth, when most times they're just interested in controversy because it sells paper. Forget the truth, especially when it's boring, as in this case. I just sent Mike Florio from ProFootballTalk.com an e-mail challenging his manhood and his ****ty website to talk about what Rosensleaze said last night, but added that I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Comment

• HenryRules
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
                      Whose fault is it? Obviously the media's. We as fans don't have access to the players like the media does, nor do we have the "inside sources" who have even greater access to the players. We put our trust in the media, mostly blindly, to give us the truth, when most times they're just interested in controversy because it sells paper. Forget the truth, especially when it's boring, as in this case. I just sent Mike Florio from ProFootballTalk.com an e-mail challenging his manhood and his ****ty website to talk about what Rosensleaze said last night, but added that I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
                      We always have choices ... if you continue to read www.profootballtalk.com, that to me says that you're not evaluating what you read at all and choosing to go for headlines instead of substance. Consistently complaining about the product will do nothing ... if you consistently complain, that means you consistently read, which means they're doing their job.

If you want credibility, demand it and read nothing less. If you just want to read an article that says "Buffalo Bills" in it, then don't complain when they invent stories to draw you in.

A journalists' job is the same as everyone else's ... to keep his job and make a good living to support himself. How does he keep his job ... by getting readers and nothing else.

Comment

• NapalmDeath
                        • Aug 2004

It is the media's fault. Plain and simple. Unnamed sources? Come on. Blaming the fans is like blaming people who trade stock shares about Martha Stewart.

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

I agree with your point, but only to a certain degree because what if your options are limited?

IE: If I tune into WGR I want to hear about the Bills, not about how the commentators are pissed because they think they aren't to blame for all this b.s. If I tune to ESPN radio I want to hear about the Bills, but all they ever talk about with regards to the Bills is McGahee and Henry, or how we lost 4 ****ing super bowls. No matter what I choose to listen to, I will get the same crap and it's not what I want to hear.

They aren't providing anything except a one sided view of the same argument day in and day out. They could at least talk about position battles or cuts about to be made, which are far more important since I think everybody here knows where both TH and WM stand on the depth chart.

Sirius Satelite radio my freind.....

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                            Sirius Satelite radio my freind.....
                            I know I know, but I change cars like every 3 months so I never have a system put in.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

I know I know, but I change cars like every 3 months so I never have a system put in.

You can take it with you- they are built to be mobile.

But save your beans if you are going to hit the real working world- you can't be blowing it on stuff like this

Comment

Working...
                              X