PDA

View Full Version : Rivers close to signing with SD

Bill Brasky
08-23-2004, 07:55 PM
6 years, worth over 40 mill, still not a done deal yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1866077

The Spaz
08-23-2004, 07:59 PM
I really liked this guy but he obviously is a little greedy. If he would have came in on time he would have been the starter without question.

Pride
08-23-2004, 08:04 PM
You saw what they wanted him to sign right?

Bonus money ONLY if he won 4 straight Super bowls, SB MVP, League MVP, and 4 straight pro bowl appearances!

Joe Montana in his prime couldnt do that!

I dont blame them! Looks like SD made the mistake!

Bill Brasky
08-23-2004, 08:10 PM

Bonus money ONLY if he won 4 straight Super bowls, SB MVP, League MVP, and 4 straight pro bowl appearances!

Is that a joke? Cuz if it's not I think I will die laughing.

The_Philster
08-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Is that a joke? Cuz if it's not I think I will die laughing.
can I have your zonebucks? :$: :D

Dozerdog
08-23-2004, 08:14 PM

Joe Montana in his prime couldnt do that!

I dont blame them! Looks like SD made the mistake!

The NFL Channel on Sirius and Gil Brandt was ripping on Rivers. They thought that looking at where he was slotted, and what he was offered- it was a great deal. Had he left last year to join a wek draft he wouldn't have made a 10th of that.

He wanted the same deal Manning got- wanted #1 overall money. But even if he held out the season, and signed the Manning deal- the lost income alone would not have made it worth it.

He will sign the slotted deal originally given him last week. The only thing San Diego did wrong was whine about the numbers in the papers.

Pride
08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
One of the reasons former N.C. State quarterback Philip Rivers still hasn't signed with San Diego is the batch of ludicrous incentive clauses the Chargers dropped into his proposed contract.

Rivers would receive a $5 million bonus if he appeared in four Pro Bowls and won four Super Bowls in his first six seasons. Excuse me? Only the 1974-79 Steelers won that many Super Bowls in that amount of time.

It gets more ridiculous by the paragraph. He would get another $7.5 million if he appeared in five Pro Bowls and won five Super Bowls in six seasons. And he would get an additional $10 million if he appeared in six Pro Bowls and won six Super Bowl in six seasons.

With contract talks having broken down, Rivers returned to Raleigh. Something should be done soon, though. The sides are only about $4 million apart on the realistic portions of a six-year contract. The team is offering just under $40 million, and Rivers wants $44 million.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/9405732.htm

With that being said, how can you NOT fault the chargers organization??

Tatonka
08-23-2004, 09:46 PM
I really liked this guy but he obviously is a little greedy. If he would have came in on time he would have been the starter without question.

the incentives that the chargers were so absurd that no qb in the history of the game could have gotten them.. and over half his contract depended on those ridiculous incentives..

i dont blame him one bit for holding out..

not to mention the way san diego handled it.. by going to the media and declaring that they offered him a 70 million dollar deal so that rivers looks like the *******.. that was so ****ty of them.

i hate san diego.. they are the arm pit of the league.. and poor rivers is stuck there..

you have seen tons on rivers.. has he ever seemed like a greedy selfserving type guy? has he *****ed to the media once through this whole thing? no.. unlike the chargers..

The Spaz
08-23-2004, 10:07 PM
the incentives that the chargers were so absurd that no qb in the history of the game could have gotten them.. and over half his contract depended on those ridiculous incentives..

i dont blame him one bit for holding out..

not to mention the way san diego handled it.. by going to the media and declaring that they offered him a 70 million dollar deal so that rivers looks like the *******.. that was so ****ty of them.

i hate san diego.. they are the arm pit of the league.. and poor rivers is stuck there..

you have seen tons on rivers.. has he ever seemed like a greedy selfserving type guy? has he *****ed to the media once through this whole thing? no.. unlike the chargers..

True but I hate rookie holdouts period. They should hold no leverage they haven't done **** in the league.

Bill Brasky
08-23-2004, 10:09 PM
True but I hate rookie holdouts period. They should hold no leverage they haven't done **** in the league.

Agreed. They should be lucky to even have a job. A lot of college grads don't right now.

The Spaz
08-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Rivers finally signs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=chargersrivers&prov=st&type=lgns

Charlieguide
08-23-2004, 10:51 PM
My guess is that this outrageous contract was accompanied with a statement something like this: "You want $70 million? Here's how you earn it." In other words, no f*n way are we ever going to pay you that kind of money as a rookie.