PDA

View Full Version : Trey Teague is our starting center apparently?

Tatonka
07-28-2002, 08:31 PM
"With Williams and the rest of the team in camp, the Bills unveiled what is expected to be their new offensive line which will feature newly acquired free agent tackle Trey Teague at center and former starting right tackle Jonas Jennings on the left side."

part of this article...

http://www.syracuse.com/sportsflash/bills/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?n0372_BC_FBN--Bills-Williams&&sports&bills

Is this a typo? if so, then this is big news to me

Buffarama
07-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Well thats what I call news, and not a bad idea either. Whether it's accurate or not we'll soon find out. Paying Teague 2.5 million to play center is a bit of suprise though.

Tatonka
07-28-2002, 08:42 PM
i really didnt mind conaty at center.. i would almost rather have him there than teague and save the money for sam adams.. but whatever.. as long as drew can throw and henry can smashmouth =)

Jeff1220
07-28-2002, 09:15 PM
Jonas and Big Mike are a couple of tackles to be excited about! Reuben and Jerry O playing the OG spots and Trey on C...I never would have thought a year ago that the Buffalo O-line would be one of the strong spots in 2002!

Buffarama
07-28-2002, 09:18 PM
Two studs on the D line next year, and one more for depth on the O line, and I'll give you a Super Bowl Ring.
3 players away.....
THREE

The_Philster
07-28-2002, 09:20 PM
I love the enthusiasm, Jeff. But hold off getting TOO excited until they can play together as a unit. They look good on paper but that means nothing right now. The Redskins looked great on paper a few years ago and Norv Turner lost his job midway through that season. the Buffalo Destroyers looked like one of the most powerful teams in the Arena League before the season.....but they couldn't put it together consistently and were eliminated in the first round.

SABURZFAN
07-29-2002, 01:39 AM
a lot of things can happen between now and the 1st day of the season.we have a couple players who can play several positions.i wouldn't etch anything in stone yet.

SoCalBillsFan
07-29-2002, 02:04 AM
it's about time. I like jennings at tackle and teague at center a lot better. I hope it stays this way

WG
07-29-2002, 02:30 AM
Look for Williams and Jennings to switch next year as well. Hehe...

Sounds like a great OL to me and makes perfect sense.

Jennings, Brown, Teague, Os, Williams

Next year Williams and Jennings switch. Talk about bookends!

WOW! That's 700 lbs. of athleticism at the Ts!!!

Earthquake Enyart
07-29-2002, 06:39 AM
I think Big Mike and Jennings switch this year, not next. You can't spend that much money for a right tackle.

JefftheBillsfan
07-29-2002, 08:11 AM
I am beggining to wish we never signed Teague.....Conanty could have done fine at C again. I'm not so sure we need much depth because our o-lineman are so versatile IMO. Reguardless, it does sound like the makings for a good o-line but The Philster is right, they need to jell.

WagonCircler
07-29-2002, 08:50 AM
Conaty would have been an OK C, but Teague may be an exceptional C. It's a position that's very underrated in its importance. Think Kent Hull.

BuffaloBalls
07-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Conaty was a functional center at best. Great calling the line changes, tough as nails. He is just not nasty enough.

Teague has all the tools to be an exceptional center. As for LT, Jennings did not allow a sack as a rookie. He has earned the spot. Teague allowed several sacks on Greise last year.

Let's see if Williams proves as dominating in his rookie year before we start talking LT. Let him get used to the speed of the game.

This is going to be an awesome oline.

TedMock
07-29-2002, 10:25 AM
Don't forget that Teague was an all american Center at Tennessee. He'll be just fine and I'm sure he can call the line signals as well as or better than any other center we have.

JefftheBillsfan
07-29-2002, 10:31 AM
I think he will do just fine, but I'm not sosure he is much of an upgrade over Conanty. That's all. I think the $$$ could have been spent a little better.

WG
07-29-2002, 10:34 AM
Either way, we need the depth. If not having Teague had meant signing a name DT who could run-stuff, then that'd have been a great swap. As it now stands, Os will start at RG and Conaty, Hulsey, Sullivan, and Teague will be the depth. If Pucillo is any good, he'll make the team too.

Man, how far have we come in just one offseason!!! This is great. I have absolutely no worries about the OL gelling due to the individual talent present. If Jennings and Big Mike do their jobs on the outside, the chemistry will follow along very nicely. We needed to worry a whole lot more about chemistry w/ a rookie Jennings and Fina on the ends.

EE,

You may be right about swapping Jennings and Mike this season sometime. My theory is that GW is gonna let Mike get used to the speed and caliber of NFL play at a position that he's used to before he moves him over to the other side.

I agree with you to the extent that it all depends upon how quickly he acclimates himself to that. If that doesn't happen until week 12 and we still have hopes for a playoff spot, I don't see it happening. On the other hand, if we're out of it for all intents and purposes, then I can see it happening late in the year to start getting him used to NFL level play on the left side. But I agree that there's no way they pay that kind of money for a RT on DB's right side when Jennings did a fine job last year as a rookie and will only improve this year.

WG
07-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Also don't forget that Conaty was one of the O's leaders last year. I agree that the money was not at all well spent, but either way, we do need depth. I think we could have gotten much cheaper depth considering what some better players got. I also think we could have simulataneously filled our DT need.

Pride
07-29-2002, 10:49 AM
Remember everyone, if it is true that TD wanted Harrington, I think he was thinking that we would get Harrington and need Teague. I will never complain about having quality depth on the OL. If Jonas or Mike go down in preseason (bites tongue) he will be our saving grace!

Earthquake Enyart
07-29-2002, 11:12 AM
I agree that the depth is a lot better than it has been in years. I think that the sooner we get Big Mike next to Ruben, the better off we'll be. I think the decision they have to make is if they are going to go:

Williams-Brown-Teague-Ostrowski-Jennings or
Williams-Brown-Conaty-Jennings-Teague.

Captain gameboy
07-29-2002, 11:17 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket. I'm a big Jennings fan, but I think he'll strugge at LT. I think Teague will be moved back, in an interim move, when that becomes apparent. Next year, I think Mike or a FA will handle the LT spot. Jonas is great, Mike is great, but neither will be able to protect a relatively immobile QB this year. If Jennings starts over there, expect big blitz packages from the blind side in every passing situation.

Mike in Syracuse
07-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Jennings played very well at the RT spot last year and if memory serves me, he did not give up a sack. AVP isn't exactly the picture of mobility and although he is righthanded, I don't recall a lot of pressure coming from the right side. I think he'll be fine in the LT spot.

Don't forget the other intangible as well, Drew! This guys not a rookie and if he reads a blitz he won't need a lot of time to punish the other team. He was unduly criticized in NE for taking too many sacks but he had a pitiful OL, no running game and once Coates left he had noone to dump the ball off to. Hopefully all those issues have been addressed by TD and crew. He's got the best receiving corps he's ever had, two quality TE's and Centers. If we can be effective with the play action and Henry then this team is gonna score some points.

Earthquake Enyart
07-29-2002, 11:45 AM
We need Big Mike next to Ruben, so that when they need a yard, they can get it.

Romes
07-29-2002, 12:39 PM
I was always skeptical of Teague's abilities at LT. I thought he was better than Fina but not by very much. I never thought his size was adept for the LT position. It just makes more sense putting Jennings at LT and Teague at center. IMO, this is the right and best OL the Bills can put together...until they feel comfortable enough to switch big mike to LT and Jennings back to right.

Captain gameboy
07-29-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Mike in Syracuse
Jennings played very well at the RT spot last year and if memory serves me, he did not give up a sack. AVP isn't exactly the picture of mobility and although he is righthanded, I don't recall a lot of pressure coming from the right side. I think he'll be fine in the LT spot.

I agree with what you've stated, but I think it goes a bit further. Jennings was a rookie last year, and he acquited himself very well. Stick him in the LT spot and it's a whole different ballgame. Our play calling evolution last year showed his progress-many more critical runs called to the right the last ten games. Regardlesss, I think he's a RT. If he works out as a LT, we've pulled ofa major scouting/cap coup. A salary RT playing LT, and a rookie RT. I don't see it. I see us "living" with a slightly below average line this year, then fitting Williams, Jennings, Teague in the postions they are naturally suited for and filling in the other two spots with legitimate NFL starters, Jerry O or probably others. In my view, this will be the last of the experimental years. Next year the O line will be a real strength.

Drewpac
07-29-2002, 01:07 PM
I agree with Gameboy. I think the line will be improved over last year but will be average at best due to the reasons he has listed above.

Tatonka
07-29-2002, 01:22 PM
jennings played LT last year and did fine.. he was there for 2 games and part of a 3rd... no sacks.

HenryRules
07-29-2002, 03:06 PM
I thought during the mini-camps they said that come training camp, they were going to see how all 3 guys do at centre (TT, BC, and JJ). Since they've already seen how BC and JJ do at centre, they're probably just checking out how TT can perform there before making a decision. I wouldn't read too much into it right now ... if he's still there in a week or two, then maybe TT is the starting centre, right now, I think they just want to check and see how all combos could work.

lordofgun
07-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Welcome Mike in Syr.!

Just think, I had to sit next to gameboy during a game last year...talk about a headache!!! :D

:jk:

RedEyE
07-29-2002, 04:42 PM
If this is true, I like the choice. Jennings is a natural at OT and I think that Teague may be rejuvenated because of his strong college days at Center. :up:

John Doe
07-29-2002, 06:26 PM
People are complaining about TT's attitude because he has made it clear that he wants to play the most demanding offensive line position - he wants to go up against the other deam's best and risk the finger-pointing that comes with giving up sacks. Oh yeah - lets dump this malcontent right now! Give me a break.