PDA

View Full Version : Great thought to ponder regarding the Stadium

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 09:08 AM
With all the teams in the league nowadays pressing for new, up-to-date stadiums, how much longer do you think The Ralph will stick around? It's one of the oldest stadiums in the league. Or do you think it will be one of those stadiums that people will want to see stick around and they'll just keep renovating it?

FTG
08-25-2004, 09:45 AM
hundreds of millions just went into upgrading the Ralph. It should be good for years

Jan Reimers
08-25-2004, 10:06 AM
I love the Ralph. It has a lot more character than Ravens Stadium, for instance, which is a new but personality-less purple bowl. It is also better than Giants Stadium, which is another place with no character.

With the renovations 6 years ago, it has plenty of premium seats - an absolute must in today's world - plus the upscale clubs, more restrooms, better concessions and other amenities. I think it's good for quite a while.

Pride
08-25-2004, 10:41 AM
All I want to see is at least 1 WIDESCREEN jumbotron. Our Jumbotron SUCKS!

Ravens Stadium's jumbotrons kick ass!

Also... I wouldnt mind an audio revamp. If the wind is blowing at all, you cannot hear the announcer!

I think they should have speakers placed through the stadiums, not just way at the top!

Voltron
08-25-2004, 10:42 AM
When watching the "Sounds of the game" on NFL network Mike Shanahan was kind of complaining about the visitor locker rooms. He said something like "Gather round as best as you can in this locker room” I have to say the locker rooms do look cramped. Most of the locker rooms I have seen in the NFL are very large with all the lockers on the out side walls. Ours seems to have a few different locker areas and no large "team area" where the teams can gather before the game and during half time.

saviorbledsoe
08-25-2004, 10:44 AM

Also... I wouldnt mind an audio revamp. If the wind is blowing at all, you cannot hear the announcer!

I think they should have speakers placed through the stadiums, not just way at the top!

I agree. Id like to see 2 widescreen jumbo trons like the ravens or eagles. as for the visiting locker room.....LET the visitors stay cramped!

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 10:45 AM
When watching the "Sounds of the game" on NFL network Mike Shanahan was kind of complaining about the visitor locker rooms. He said something like "Gather round as best as you can in this locker room” I have to say the locker rooms do look cramped. Most of the locker rooms I have seen in the NFL are very large with all the lockers on the out side walls. Ours seems to have a few different locker areas and no large "team area" where the teams can gather before the game and during half time.

Good, I don't want other teams to feel comfortable.

chernobylwraiths
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM

No offense, but who cares what the VISITOR'S locker room is like? As long as the home one is better.

ZacGriffi~82
08-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I was at the phillies stadium earlyier this year...The jumbotron was amazing. CRYSTAL clear.

elltrain22
08-25-2004, 11:12 AM
I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Ebenezer
08-25-2004, 11:16 AM
I don't think we have anything to worry about.
I agree....this state or area does not have money for a new one...keep this one in good shape and let it become the Wrigley of the NFL.

Jayhawk
08-25-2004, 11:20 AM
I don't think that Ralph needs to be cast aside, but a Ealges video board would be cool. Plus the home lockeroom I would make as big and spacious as possible

Typ0
08-25-2004, 11:30 AM

The speakers at the top of the stadium is horrible...you are either too close or too far away.

ZacGriffi~82
08-25-2004, 11:44 AM
:zipit:
http://www.lincolnfinancialfield.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/EOANHMFFACFC/scoreboard2.jpg

G. Host
08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
The Jumbotron at the Ralph is showing its age. There are several spots where the image does not show and you just get black spots. Very visible this year when I went to training camp. I think they need one on other end of field as well.

jayg
08-25-2004, 02:52 PM
hundreds of millions just went into upgrading the Ralph. It should be good for years

You mean tens of millions. Hundreds of millions would have built a new stadium. We can only dream about that. I like the Ralph anyway though.

FTG
08-25-2004, 02:53 PM
You mean tens of millions. Hundreds of millions would have built a new stadium.
:rolleyes: it was over 100 million

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 04:03 PM
If you want a jumbotron play Madden, you can upgrade the Ralph after each season.

I think Washington put seat vibrators in their stadium. :funny:

The_Philster
08-25-2004, 05:40 PM
I don't see us changing stadiums anytime soon

I think they should have speakers placed through the stadiums, not just way at the top!Yeah, it would be nice to have a larger jumbtron. Funny thing is, it wasn't long ago that the only one larger than ours was the one at Skydome.

Drive 4 Five
08-25-2004, 05:56 PM
With all the teams in the league nowadays pressing for new, up-to-date stadiums, how much longer do you think The Ralph will stick around? It's one of the oldest stadiums in the league. Or do you think it will be one of those stadiums that people will want to see stick around and they'll just keep renovating it?

Could you see a new stadium in Green Bay? Heck no and to me Buffalo is that kind of football town. It is a very unique stadium. Besides, its not like all run down like the old Vet or anything. It reminds me of a town in love with the highschool varsity team. I'll never forget it.

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 06:00 PM
One renovation I never want to see is a retractable roof here, and I know it would never happen. Every new stadium is getting one. I personally like seeing games in crappy conditions, I think your a gigantic wuss if you need a roof to shelter you from a couple rain drops.

Mr. Cynical
08-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Yeah, it would be nice to have a larger jumbtron. Funny thing is, it wasn't long ago that the only one larger than ours was the one at Skydome.
Funny, I was going to say the same thing. Actually I thought there was even one point in time that ours was the biggest.

However, I think it's been a long time...just feels like it wasn't that long ago. When was it put in? I'm thinking it was early 90s...like 94?

The_Philster
08-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah...94 when they did the first round of major renovations

G. Host
08-25-2004, 06:29 PM
10 years and already showing wear. Not a good selling point for manufacturer,

Historian
08-25-2004, 08:34 PM
:rolleyes: it was over 100 million

It was 63 million.

NapalmDeath
08-26-2004, 10:50 PM
It was 63 million.

Actually, it was 163 million. AND improvements have been made. No I don't sit in the heated seats, or in a suite or anything like that, but the improvements are good....... For now. Lots more bathrooms, ( I haven't seen anyone pissing in the sink since the improvements have beem made) , and I think the new turf was part of that deal too. (163 million/5 years improvements, dunno ask the the state)

One thing that would be nice is a speaker upgrade. The Jumbotron is not that bad, but the sound system is..... along with the music selection as well.

Throne Logic
08-27-2004, 04:46 AM
The Jumbotron at the Ralph is showing its age. There are several spots where the image does not show and you just get black spots. Very visible this year when I went to training camp. I think they need one on other end of field as well.

Man, you know you're getting older when . . .

I'm sure more than a few of you can remember the Marboro Man.

The Jumbo Tron is less than 10 years old. But, I guess that's getting up there for a TV. Especially one that's left outside in the Buffalo winters. . .

Michael82
08-27-2004, 04:54 AM
February 1, 1994 - Construction begins at the stadium to add 14 luxury suites, glassed-in club seating and the largest SONY JumboTron scoreboard in the United States.

March 13, 1995 - Construction begins on the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Field House.

October 8, 1995 - The completed Field House opens with the unveiling of the Buffalo Bills Experience, the first fan interactive area displayed by any single team in the NFL.

December 18, 1998 - Bills and state officially sign the stadium lease agreement that will keep the Bills in Western New York for 15 the next years and also announce the venue in Orchard Park has been re-named Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Michael82
08-27-2004, 04:55 AM
More additions were completed in 1994. The Red Zone and Goal Line clubs, which are enclosed of glass and consist of 500 seats each were added, along with 14 executive suites. The main addition in 1994 was a massive 31.5 feet high and 41.5 feet wide JumboTron video/scoreboard. In 1999, Ralph Wilson Stadium was renovated. Renovations included the addition of 76 dugout suites, seat warmers for club seats, and cup holders for all seats. Ralph Wilson Stadium continues to be one of the NFL’s better stadiums.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/afc/RalphWilsonStadium.htm

Historian
08-27-2004, 06:55 AM
Actually, it was 163 million. AND improvements have been made. No I don't sit in the heated seats, or in a suite or anything like that, but the improvements are good....... For now. Lots more bathrooms, ( I haven't seen anyone pissing in the sink since the improvements have beem made) , and I think the new turf was part of that deal too. (163 million/5 years improvements, dunno ask the the state)

One thing that would be nice is a speaker upgrade. The Jumbotron is not that bad, but the sound system is..... along with the music selection as well.

Lets look at the actual lease, shall we?

http://www.erie.gov/billslease/stadium.phtml

WHEREAS, certain of the actions contained in the MOU relate to the refurbishing, renovation and improvement of the Stadium Complex at a cost of approximately $63.25 million;

This was contingent upon the sale of luxury seating for five years.

Michael82
08-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Lets look at the actual lease, shall we?

http://www.erie.gov/billslease/stadium.phtml

WHEREAS, certain of the actions contained in the MOU relate to the refurbishing, renovation and improvement of the Stadium Complex at a cost of approximately $63.25 million;

This was contingent upon the sale of luxury seating for five years.
Nice job doing the digging. :up:

doug45
08-27-2004, 06:22 PM

I agree! I think it is one of the better ones around.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Why is this a "great thought to ponder"?

saviorbledsoe
08-28-2004, 05:54 PM
you would think SONY would donate a new jumbo tron... hell they get hundreds of thousands of people looking at the SONY name everytime someone looks at the tron.