PDA

View Full Version : Mort on Bledsoe - Thinks Reed is our #2

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Rockville, Maryland: Hey Mort, will Bledsoe bounce back this year? Also who is the 2nd WR in Buffalo?

Chris Mortensen: I think Bledsoe does bounce back. Josh reed may be the No. 2 but Lee Evans looks good. Reed looks like he'll bounce back in this system.

The way Evans has played so far I might have to agree...

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 04:36 PM
would anybody esle be surprised if Evans starts the season as our slot guy?

That Guy
08-25-2004, 04:38 PM
I've been saying all along that I thought Josh Reed would be this year's number two. As much as people have hyped Lee Evans' TC, I think Reed's has been as good or better.

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 04:42 PM
I've been saying all along that I thought Josh Reed would be this year's number two. As much as people have hyped Lee Evans' TC, I think Reed's has been as good or better.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Evans started the season as our #3. Honestly, he suits this team better as our #2, but he clearly hasn't earned it... he's done nothing so far.

BAM
08-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Looks to me so far like they're going to move the receivers all over the place. I like it :up:

BUFFALONRTH76
08-25-2004, 04:57 PM
We've only played 2 pre-season games guys!!! There are still some scenarios to be played out I'm sure... I wouldn't be surprised if you see Evan's at #2 for the start of the Season, he too has made some highlight reel catches at camp as well :peace:

BillsOwnAll
08-25-2004, 05:07 PM
i think reed would be much betetr #3 guy. Look at how he did when we had price. I think eveans can learn alot more from moulds before the start of the season. I still have alot of faith in this guy being really good.

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 05:22 PM
We've only played 2 pre-season games guys!!! There are still some scenarios to be played out I'm sure... I wouldn't be surprised if you see Evan's at #2 for the start of the Season, he too has made some highlight reel catches at camp as well :peace:

Yeah, and in those 2 preseason games he's caught 1 pass.

Here's a scenario - he starts catching passes in a situation other than practice.

Once he starts doing that then maybe he can move to #2. So far in 2 preseason games he's caught 1 pass. Even Daimon Shelton has caught that many. I think he's really slipped under everybody's critisism radar due to all the TH/WM crap and now the Losman injury.

Canadian'eh!
08-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Evans will be #2 just because it's a better fit for all 3 players.

That Guy
08-25-2004, 05:27 PM
But if Evans isn't ready to play every down... how the hell are we going to hold back someone that might be better (Reed)?

BillsOwnAll
08-25-2004, 05:29 PM
How is reed a better #2. did you see him last year? He dropped many clutch passes thrown his way. Hes a much better #3 receiver.

That Guy
08-25-2004, 05:32 PM
He was basically playing as a number one receiver then. Moulds was a decoy, Bledsoe was struggling, and the Bills failed to commit to the run. It wasn't a good situation. I can go by what I've seen in six training camp visits and two preseason games, and I think he is a much more improved Josh Reed. Receivers don't usually blossom until their third year, it's just how it goes.

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 05:34 PM
How is reed a better #2. did you see him last year? He dropped many clutch passes thrown his way. Hes a much better #3 receiver.

They're not clutch passes when you're losing 38-5.

Drive 4 Five
08-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Lee Evans has no business playing slot. He'll get rocked like Marvin Harrison does. Josh is big and strong. You can be sure Reed's hands have improved over last season. He runs precise routes and is strong after the catch. He is perfect at slot receiver. Besides... I know Evans has been quiet so far in the preseason but you know it is only a matter of time. He has E.Moulds on the other side yo. Ask Peerless. He knows what's up.

cordog
08-25-2004, 05:56 PM
I can definetly see Josh Reed emerging as a serious #2 receiver. Josh is kinda the same mold as Hines Ward and look what Mularkey did with him.

That Guy
08-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Lee Evans has no business playing slot. He'll get rocked like Marvin Harrison does. Josh is big and strong. You can be sure Reed's hands have improved over last season. He runs precise routes and is strong after the catch. He is perfect at slot receiver. Besides... I know Evans has been quiet so far in the preseason but you know it is only a matter of time. He has E.Moulds on the other side yo. Ask Peerless. He knows what's up.

Peerless didn't know "what's up" during the first two years of his career.

G. Host
08-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Josh Reed will play #2 WR when Bills go with 2 WR's and play slot WR when they go three or more WRs. IF Bills get in a 3rd and very long situation where they need to protect the QB (i.e. in field goal range) they may go max protect and put in Moulds and Evans.

ShadowHawk7
08-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Josh Reed will play #2 WR when Bills go with 2 WR's and play slot WR when they go three or more WRs. IF Bills get in a 3rd and very long situation where they need to protect the QB (i.e. in field goal range) they may go max protect and put in Moulds and Evans.
Agreed! :clap:
I don't think it'll matter too much whether Evans is #2 or not. I think a lot of our plays will include 3 WRs due to the talent level there.

Jayhawk
08-25-2004, 06:53 PM
hey guys we need three wr's. and we still have Shaw. so I am not too worried, plus with lee a rook it's not going to be like he's going to set the world afire.

BillsOwnAll
08-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Hoepfully we run the ball enough that we wont even have to pass that much. And if we cna establish a running game. I dont think itll matter that much who plays what # reciever.

Bill Brasky
08-25-2004, 07:14 PM
It actually matters quite a bit... as shown last year when Reed couldn't stretch the field enough for Moulds to get open, even when he was healthy.

Drive 4 Five
08-25-2004, 08:59 PM
It actually matters quite a bit... as shown last year when Reed couldn't stretch the field enough for Moulds to get open, even when he was healthy.

I disagree. I think the problem was all the complicated reads and adjustments the receivers were having to make coupled with the fact that that many of the passes required 5-7 step drops. The O- line barely gave Drew time enough to get the ball off dropping back 3 steps. In other words I think the biggest problem was that idio Gilbride's play calling.

George Bush SUCKS
08-25-2004, 09:07 PM
As talented as Lee Evans is he has alot of adjusting to do.

Moulds himself only caught 33 balls his rookie season. In fact Josh Reeds 1st 2 seasons are significantly better then Mould's 1st 2 seasons.

Why people get down on him is beyond me. He had to rise up last year and make up for Killdrives Offense and the injury to Moulds.

With the bills doing more dump offs and shorter pass plyas Reed should have not troubles improving.

Meanwhile Evans will be groomed and gain playing time as the year goes on

JohnKerryIsAFAG
08-25-2004, 09:36 PM
As talented as Lee Evans is he has alot of adjusting to do.

Moulds himself only caught 33 balls his rookie season. In fact Josh Reeds 1st 2 seasons are significantly better then Mould's 1st 2 seasons.

Why people get down on him is beyond me. He had to rise up last year and make up for Killdrives Offense and the injury to Moulds.

With the bills doing more dump offs and shorter pass plyas Reed should have not troubles improving.

Meanwhile Evans will be groomed and gain playing time as the year goes onI disagree.

elltrain22
08-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Evans may not be the #2 WR in the beginning, but he will be there before week 8 at least.

That Guy
08-25-2004, 09:59 PM
I just don't see how you guys assume that Lee Evans is going to be great (or better than Josh Reed) in the first year. Eric Moulds, Peerless Price, Plaxico Burress, Koren Robinson, Santana Moss, Terrell Owens and Leveraneus Coles broke out in year THREE. It took Marvin Harrison, Derrick Mason, Joe Horn and Amani Toomer even longer than that to get their first 1,000 yard season. Receivers don't tend to fare well in year one... and especially since three wideouts and a tight end were taken before Evans.

I can only recall two recievers in the last 6-7 years with fantastic first first years. Last year's rookie of the year... and RANDY FREAKIN MOSS.

bernielivsey_1
08-25-2004, 10:17 PM

:mad: Beat me to it. :doh:
I agree, Reed will be in slot when there's 3 or 4 reveivers.

thenry20
08-25-2004, 10:46 PM
would anybody esle be surprised if Evans starts the season as our slot guy?

No judging by the way the coaching staff is playing him, he won't be starting this year. Which make me think: is Lee struggling to pick up the offense?

I think it will take him as long as it took Peerless to learn the WR position. :sad:

Groundgame
08-26-2004, 12:30 AM
I can definetly see Josh Reed emerging as a serious #2 receiver. Josh is kinda the same mold as Hines Ward and look what Mularkey did with him.

I agree with the concept that Mularkey is molding Reed into a Hines Ward type. If Reed could become HW type of receiver then the passing offense would totally be high notch. I think Evans is not ready to be #2. Rarely a rookie wr can emerge in his first year. Although, it would be logical that Evans would be at the far side of Moulds due to his speed but I just don't see him be successful at #2 in his rookie year.

Drive 4 Five
08-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Let's not start comparing Josh Reed to Hines Ward just yet. Also Lee Evans doesn't need to have a "breakout" year for us to be successful on the offensive side. With a stronger and consistent emphasis on the run, a healthy Eric Moulds, and a better game plan, these guys are going to be pretty damn good. The problem last year was that our offensive coordinator (I can't even say his name) had us passing on 3rd & short like 80 % of the time and worse he had us in the shotgun like 90% of those instances. That's the great thing about having Mularkey and Clemmons, at least our scheme will no longer be predictable. I think Reed and Evans could both see time at no.2 determined by the opponenet we are playing and the strengths/weaknesses of their defense. In multiple receiver formations undoubtedly Josh is in the slot and lets not foget about Bobby Shaw, I think he performed admirably considering the situation (56 catches for 732 yds. a nice 13.1 avg.). Even if we don't come out of the gates smoking, I don't think our offense will regress like we saw last year. With these coaches and this talent we will only continue to improve and anything will be an improvement over last year.

Voltron
08-26-2004, 09:47 AM

His game picked up at the end of the season. He did look like poo for the first 5 or 6 games but as the season progressed he worked out his problems. It was Josh trying to be Peerless and they are 2 totally different receivers. I hate to sound like a broken record but Moulds took 3 years to turn into the receiver he is today. Josh seems to be ahead of the curve. Evens continues to look like a rookie. A first round rookie but a rookie all the same.

madness
08-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I disagree.

Obviously... :snicker: