PDA

View Full Version : I finally got the Bills FO attention....

Michael82
08-25-2004, 06:11 PM
So, I was writing my notes for the Training Camp report and all of a sudden this guy...Director of Pro Personnel, John Guy approaches me and asks if he could talk to me for a minute. He asked me what I was doing and I told him that I'm taking notes so I can write a report for a fan site. He asked me if he could take a look and then thumbed thru my notebook. He asked me what site I write for. I answered BillsZone.com and then said "I'll have to check it out." Then he asked me for my name and said thanks a lot. Have a nice day.

Is this a bad thing? Was he watching me and thought I was a spy or something? Or was he just bored and was interested in why a fan was taking notes? Should I be worried? :eek: :ontome:

:feedback:

Iehoshua
08-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Nah, just going to look at the site so he can send the corporate lawyers to shut it down...

Uh oh..

:jawdrop:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Nah, just going to look at the site so he can send the corporate lawyers to shut it down...

Uh oh..

:jawdrop:
He better not. :mad:

That Guy
08-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Bill Parcells sent out a memo to the rest of the league to get rid of "practice spies".... it's just normal club practice now.

Michael82
08-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Bill Parcells sent out a memo to the rest of the league to get rid of "practice spies".... it's just normal club practice now.
:rofl:

The_Philster
08-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Cool :up: Now the front office will start to notice that we're the best fan site around :D

Iehoshua
08-25-2004, 06:19 PM

Yeah, next time tell him you're scouting the Bills to find weaknesses...
.. so you can beat them in Madden. :lolhit:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Cool :up: Now the front office will start to notice that we're the best fan site around :D
That's what I'm hoping it is. But everytime we had a little exposure to the Buffalo Bills FO, something always screwed us over. Highlight videos...:mad:

cablelady
08-25-2004, 06:27 PM
That's what I'm hoping it is. But everytime we had a little exposure to the Buffalo Bills FO, something always screwed us over. Highlight videos...:mad:

Mikey did it. Mikey did it. :doh:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Mikey did it. Mikey did it. :doh:
:ontome:

Mr. Cynical
08-25-2004, 07:01 PM
If the Bills FO is going to start reading this site, all positive Bledsoe remarks must be moved to another Bills fan site. I don't want them thinking they did a good job with keeping him.

:jk:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 07:03 PM
If the Bills FO is going to start reading this site, all positive Bledsoe remarks must be moved to another Bills fan site. I don't want them thinking they did a good job with keeping him.

:roflmao:

ArcticWildMan
08-25-2004, 07:13 PM
I wonder how many days it will take now before we receive notice we are infringing on some obscure copyright that the NFL owns?

LtBillsFan66
08-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Great. You got us pinched! :mad:

:D I bet he thought you were a scout/spy...

FTG
08-25-2004, 07:23 PM

Mikey a scout :roflmao:

LtBillsFan66
08-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Or a Jills stalker. :D

Philagape
08-25-2004, 07:34 PM
If this doesn't result in anything bad, why not ask for press credentials? Have we done that before? You could watch games from the comfortable, perfect-view, stocked-with-food press box, sit in on press conferences, go into the locker room, get really detailed press notes, etc. :D

Michael82
08-25-2004, 07:42 PM
If this doesn't result in anything bad, why not ask for press credentials? Have we done that before? You could watch games from the comfortable, perfect-view, stocked-with-food press box, sit in on press conferences, go into the locker room, get really detailed press notes, etc. :D

OMG! I would be in HEAVEN! :drool: :pray:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Great. You got us pinched! :mad:

That's what I was thinking. :up:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 07:45 PM
I could be a scout! :mad:

They have some young scouts in the NFL. Ya never know. :D

ArcticWildMan
08-25-2004, 07:46 PM

It could happen. Dufus got a press pass for the draft years ago....

helmetguy
08-25-2004, 07:48 PM
It was the stocked-with-food part that grabbed you, wasn't it?

Philagape
08-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Go for it! There's nothing to lose by asking

Michael82
08-25-2004, 07:50 PM
You wanna hook me up? :D :up: :hail:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 07:51 PM
It was the stocked-with-food part that grabbed you, wasn't it?
No, actually it's the whole press pass, going behind the scenes and in meetings and all that stuff. It would be ****ing awesome. I'd love to get into something like that. But I'm not sure how I go about doing something like that...

ArcticWildMan
08-25-2004, 07:56 PM

I wouldn't have a clue how to get that. You're a lot closer than I am. Start asking questions and knocking on doors.

Look for the guy who stopped you next time you're at camp and ask him if he had a chance to check out the site. Ask him to read some of your reports and if it would be possible for you to get a press pass for home games.

Print a copy of the front page and aslo of your articles to give to him if he hasn't had time to check the site out. Take some initiative and it might impress him :up:

BAM
08-25-2004, 08:00 PM
It would be ****ing awesome. I'd love to get into something like that. But I'm not sure how I go about doing something like that...

Get a degree in journalism. There ya go, Mikey! You found something you would like to do, now act on it bro!

Michael82
08-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Go for it! There's nothing to lose by asking
True. Maybe I'll email Guy and see how I go about getting something like that... :up:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't have a clue how to get that. You're a lot closer than I am. Start asking questions and knocking on doors.

Look for the guy who stopped you next time you're at camp and ask him if he had a chance to check out the site. Ask him to read some of your reports and if it would be possible for you to get a press pass for home games.

Print a copy of the front page and aslo of your articles to give to him if he hasn't had time to check the site out. Take some initiative and it might impress him :up:
Good idea, AWM! I'll try to find him tomorrow. :up:

I just hope I read it right and he wasn't trying to bash down our site for publishing what happened at camp.

ArcticWildMan
08-25-2004, 08:02 PM
True. Maybe I'll email Guy and see how I go about getting something like that... :up:

Ask him if the Bills have a scholarship program for sports journalists.

ArcticWildMan
08-25-2004, 08:06 PM
I just hope I read it right and he wasn't trying to bash down our site for publishing what happened at camp.

As long as he doesn't perceive us as disclosing info that could be helpful to other teams or us making money from the Bills, I would doubt he would waste his time with us. The NFL is ultra protective of it's revenue generating rights is all.

Philagape
08-25-2004, 08:07 PM
MEDIA RELATIONS
Bill Hudock Manager of Media Relations
Christopher Jenkins Media Relations Assistant
Julie Lantaff Administrative Assistant (VP/Communications)

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/office.jsp

Michael82
08-25-2004, 08:10 PM
As long as he doesn't perceive us as disclosing info that could be helpful to other teams or us making money from the Bills, I would doubt he would waste his time with us. The NFL is ultra protective of it's revenue generating rights is all.
See, the thing that made me wonder was I was taking notes during the 11-on-11 2 minute drill and that is usually the one main drill that the reporters are banned from recording and showing. I'm wondering if he didn't like me doing that and wanted to see how detailed I get...

Michael82
08-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Ask him if the Bills have a scholarship program for sports journalists.
Good idea. :up:

ArcticWildMan
08-25-2004, 08:27 PM
See, the thing that made me wonder was I was taking notes during the 11-on-11 2 minute drill and that is usually the one main drill that the reporters are banned from recording and showing. I'm wondering if he didn't like me doing that and wanted to see how detailed I get...

:idunno:

He probably recognized you from previous practices and was curious since you were taking notes and pics again.

I highly doubt that they practice any "secret" plays during public practices. They can't control who is really at the practices. I'm sure that there several "spies" from other teams at each practice.

Historian
08-25-2004, 08:28 PM

Go back tomorrow with a camcorder, and see what he does...

Michael82
08-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Go back tomorrow with a camcorder, and see what he does...
:snicker:

G. Host
08-25-2004, 08:36 PM

How about moving all Cynical posters to another board?
You would hate them to doubt they made the right decision to dump Williams and Gilbride! :sigh:

Michael82
08-25-2004, 08:38 PM
You would hate them to doubt they made the right decision to dump Williams and Gilbride! :sigh:
Good idea! :hi5:

chernobylwraiths
08-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Mikey, you should seriously follow up on what AWM said. Seek Guy out and ask him if had a chance to look at the site. Ask him if there is anything else that you can do to help support the team. You want to make him feel that you/we are here to help support the team, and that is exactly what you ARE doing. Make sure he doesn't get the wrong impression from the site though. Like when I first saw the gambling threads, I thought people were using real money. Just don't make it sound like you are real needy or ask for press passes or free stuff or anything. Guys like that must get that kind of stuff all the time. Ask him for his card or give him your personal email address so that he can email you if there is anything the site could do to help the Bills out or promote something.

Michael82
08-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Mikey, you should seriously follow up on what AWM said. Seek Guy out and ask him if had a chance to look at the site. Ask him if there is anything else that you can do to help support the team. You want to make him feel that you/we are here to help support the team, and that is exactly what you ARE doing. Make sure he doesn't get the wrong impression from the site though. Like when I first saw the gambling threads, I thought people were using real money. Just don't make it sound like you are real needy or ask for press passes or free stuff or anything. Guys like that must get that kind of stuff all the time. Ask him for his card or give him your personal email address so that he can email you if there is anything the site could do to help the Bills out or promote something.
Thanks for the tips! :up:

Mr. Cynical
08-25-2004, 09:47 PM
It's called a joke. That's what that little guy holding the "j/k" sign means, i.e., just kidding. Some people need to get a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Ickybaluky
08-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I'd love to get into something like that. But I'm not sure how I go about doing something like that...

You can start by going here (http://www.buffalobills.com/media/login.jsp) and signing up for an account (http://www.buffalobills.com/media/register.jsp). It is the Buffalo Bills Media website, and has tons of information about the team as well as media contact and credential directions.

It seems anybody can sign up for an account and get immediate access. Credentialing seems to work through the media relations department, with the following instructions:

Credential Requests: Request should be made in writing on letterhead no later than Wednesday at noon preceding any home game. They should be sent via fax to Julie Lantaff at 716-648-3202 or by email at Julie.Lantaff@bills.nfl.net

Media Requests: Requests for photos, interviews and other general information about the Buffalo Bills should be directed to the Bills' Media Relations Department.

They give contact information for the entire media relations staff there.

That Guy
08-25-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm taking notes too... in a few years I'm hoping to get into a school for sports journalism. I need all the possiblities I can get lol.

thenry20
08-25-2004, 10:55 PM

Then why are they affiliated with Two Bills Drive?

:tip:

clumping platelets
08-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Maybe I could get an interview with someone about the salary cap :dance:

Marvelous
08-25-2004, 11:05 PM
I wish i lived up there so i could join ya @ camp :(.
1 day :)

ZacGriffi~82
08-25-2004, 11:26 PM
You can start by going here (http://www.buffalobills.com/media/login.jsp) and signing up for an account (http://www.buffalobills.com/media/register.jsp). It is the Buffalo Bills Media website, and has tons of information about the team as well as media contact and credential directions.

It seems anybody can sign up for an account and get immediate access. Credentialing seems to work through the media relations department, with the following instructions:

Credential Requests: Request should be made in writing on letterhead no later than Wednesday at noon preceding any home game. They should be sent via fax to Julie Lantaff at 716-648-3202 or by email at Julie.Lantaff@bills.nfl.net

Media Requests: Requests for photos, interviews and other general information about the Buffalo Bills should be directed to the Bills' Media Relations Department.

They give contact information for the entire media relations staff there.

Theres probaly a mandatory age for getting access... :(

That Guy
08-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Then you shall lie about your age, young one.

ZacGriffi~82
08-25-2004, 11:36 PM
im 21 duh...

Dozerdog
08-25-2004, 11:39 PM

We will have press passes to the draft next year. It's not that hard.

You go to the NFL's media site and fill out a form. The Media site is pretty cool- they have transcripts of those confrence calls between players w/ the media and all sorts of neat info. Where do you think Dufus got his Exclusive invite to a Drew Bledsoe Interview from in 2002? :rofl:

If there are any other Bills interviews- we will bring them to you :up:

Dozerdog
08-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Before anyone asks-

NO!

Not giving out the addy and passwords to get in.

Mr. Miyagi
08-26-2004, 12:37 AM
:up: Mikey is the next generation of John Clayton. :bf1:

Mr. Miyagi
08-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Seriously though Mikey, AWM et al is right. There are times that opportunities come knocking so loud that you just CANNOT ignore. But at the end it's still up to you to pursue them. This could be something that gets you started and years from now you'll begin your success story with this night. :up:

Go for it my friend. The worst that could happen is NOTHING.

Marvelous
08-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Seriously though Mikey, AWM et al is right. There are times that opportunities come knocking so loud that you just CANNOT ignore. But at the end it's still up to you to pursue them. This could be something that gets you started and years from now you'll begin your success story with this night. :up:

Great advice. Ya gotta jump on it before it leaves(opportunity in general)

Mr. Cynical
08-26-2004, 01:05 AM

Agreed. There are many times where I wish I had taken the shot but didn't, only to regret it later. Go for it! :up:

Just remember that you signed a lifetime agreement with BZ to report for free. :snicker:

northernbillfan
08-26-2004, 02:44 AM
I wonder how many days it will take now before we receive notice we are infringing on some obscure copyright that the NFL owns?

I wouldn't worry too much about any copyright infringements on our Front Page (http://www.billsfanzone.com/). We received an all clear for the content that is on there, sans hilite vids.

You can start by going here and signing up for an account. It is the Buffalo Bills Media website, and has tons of information about the team as well as media contact and credential directions.

That's a good tip, thanks.

Or a Jills stalker. :D

That's :gag: job

Get a degree in journalism. There ya go, Mikey! You found something you would like to do, now act on it bro!

:bf1:

No, actually it's the whole press pass, going behind the scenes and in meetings and all that stuff. It would be ****ing awesome. I'd love to get into something like that. But I'm not sure how I go about doing something like that...

Mike, you have a chance to get a good education. There are a ton of schools in your area that offer courses you'll need. A quick search yielded this one: Buffalo State (http://www.buffalostate.edu/prospect/index.asp?sub=prospect&sub2=deptlist&subint=department&department=COMM&submit=get%2Bpage)

Go for it, man you have what it takes.

Jan Reimers
08-26-2004, 05:36 AM
Mikey, as I said in an earlier, you're destined to be a pro personnel guy (no pun intended) for the Bills. You've just taken your first step. Forget about that wasted life as a media guy. :peace:

SABURZFAN
08-26-2004, 05:49 AM
So, I was writing my notes for the Training Camp report and all of a sudden this guy...Director of Pro Personnel, John Guy approaches me and asks if he could talk to me for a minute. He asked me what I was doing and I told him that I'm taking notes so I can write a report for a fan site. He asked me if he could take a look and then thumbed thru my notebook. He asked me what site I write for. I answered BillsZone.com and then said "I'll have to check it out." Then he asked me for my name and said thanks a lot. Have a nice day.

Is this a bad thing? Was he watching me and thought I was a spy or something? Or was he just bored and was interested in why a fan was taking notes? Should I be worried? :eek: :ontome:

i'd track him down and ask if he "checked it out."hell no,it's not a bad thing.it means that you're making your presence known.it's a good thing for Billszone.you may want to wear a Billszone t-shirt every once in a while too. :up:

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2004, 06:23 AM
Not to throw a wet blanket on this Mikey Love Fest, but Mikey's so goofy looking that the Bills guy probably thought he worked for the Dolphins.

The Bills run their own boards :puke: and their own web site. They aren't gonna go out of their way to credential this place.

SABURZFAN
08-26-2004, 07:07 AM

WHO???? :idunno:

Lori
08-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Not to throw a wet blanket on this Mikey Love Fest, but Mikey's so goofy looking that the Bills guy probably thought he worked for the Dolphins.

The Bills run their own boards :puke: and their own web site. They aren't gonna go out of their way to credential this place.

Meanie. :tongue:
True about buffalobills.com, though - I believe they took down the TBD link when they started their own boards.

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2004, 07:31 AM

I win meanest poster every year. :bravo:

G. Host
08-26-2004, 07:36 AM
True about buffalobills.com, though - I believe they took down the TBD link when they started their own boards.

Nope. At one point they had both their own boards and link to TBD. They removed the link during one of their remodellings.

Dozerdog
08-26-2004, 07:46 AM

I know they used to be (Had a link from the team site to their board) But I don't beleive it exists any more.

To get that link, they had to remove all NFL and Bills Logos from their board design. We asked for a link and that was the price the NFL Lawyers wanted us to pay.

Too steep for us- we would rather have JJamezz's creativity in the design over a link.

It's moot now anyway. The Bills have really stepped it up in trying to intergrate their message board in to the rest of the site. I don't visit their boards enough to see if they have stepped up their moderating (the big reason why it stunk in the past - way too many trolls) but they would rather now build and promote their own boards over the fan sites.

justasportsfan
08-26-2004, 07:48 AM
What Guy saw .....Mikey's notes:

Nicole, 25 yrs. old . 6969 buffalo dr. walks her dog at 6 am, has a tree facing directly her window. vegetarian, 5'2". Drives a red honda civic .balh, blah blah.

http://www.97rock.com/jills/assets/images/db_images/db_nichole_uniform21.jpg

Dozerdog
08-26-2004, 07:49 AM
What Guy saw .....Mikey's notes:

Nicole, 25 yrs. old . 6969 buffalo dr. walks her dog at 6 am, has a tree facing directly her window. vegetarian, 5'2". Drives a red honda civic .balh, blah blah.

http://www.97rock.com/jills/assets/images/db_images/db_nichole_uniform21.jpg

FTG
08-26-2004, 08:31 AM
It's called a joke. That's what that little guy holding the "j/k" sign means, i.e., just kidding. Some people need to get a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Amen!

TedMock
08-26-2004, 10:02 AM

Be afraid, be very afraid. Keep your windows and blinds closed, and check under your car before you start it.

Michael82
08-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Be afraid, be very afraid. Keep your windows and blinds closed, and check under your car before you start it.

Michael82
08-26-2004, 01:06 PM
:up: Mikey is the next generation of John Clayton. :bf1:
:up:

Michael82
08-26-2004, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the good advice, MM! :up:

don137
08-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Since spies can't attend the actual practice maybe they read this board to get an inside look on the Bills and Mikey is actually helping out teams like the fins and the Patriots by giving them information...:jawdrop:

Michael82
08-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks, SABURZ. I'm going to email him and see if he had a chance to check it out and then maybe I'll ask him a couple other questions too. :D:

Michael82
08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Since spies can't attend the actual practice maybe they read this board to get an inside look on the Bills and Mikey is actually helping out teams like the fins and the Patriots by giving them information...:jawdrop:
:ontome: