PDA

View Full Version : Robert Gallery moved to guard

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-25-2004, 07:10 PM
I just seen on ESPN that the Raiders have moved Gallery to guard.

FTG
08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
:jawdrop: You draft shutdown LT's #2 overall, not guards. I wonder why they did this :scratch:

Mad Bomber
08-25-2004, 07:33 PM
:jawdrop: You draft shutdown LT's #2 overall, not guards. I wonder why they did this :scratch:

If this is true, say goodbye to Rich and Kerry....they'll get killed from the blind side. Hopefully by Schobel.....

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-25-2004, 07:38 PM
ESPN reported that he wasn't going to beat out Barry Sims so he was moved to guard. It will be like when Jonathan Ogden was moved to guard he rookie year.

finsrclowns
08-25-2004, 07:42 PM
What happened? Did he show up at camp weighing 400 lbs. or something? :jk:

Billsouth
08-25-2004, 07:56 PM
guard is just as important as tackle. just ask bledsoe. he got his ass handed to him more from rushes up the middle than outside moves.

Samphin1
08-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Gallery will be fine. He is just being moved to a less demanding O-line position for now. Being out here in the Oakland area, I get to hear about him nonstop. ( that and Charles Woodson saga ) John Ogden did the same thing his rookie year. With Gallery hurting himself a tad last week, his development slowed as well. This way he gets playing time and can be brought up to the LT position when really ready.

HenryRules
08-25-2004, 08:08 PM
If this is true, say goodbye to Rich and Kerry....they'll get killed from the blind side. Hopefully by Schobel.....

Barry Sims is pretty solid ... I think a few teams have had OT's start their career as rookies and its worked out (although none come to mind at the moment).

elltrain22
08-25-2004, 09:49 PM
:shocked:

The_Philster
08-26-2004, 03:11 AM
guard is just as important as tackle. just ask bledsoe. he got his ass handed to him more from rushes up the middle than outside moves.
Exactly. It never fails to amaze me how some people can say that every position on the O-line has a different value that they can be paid. :huh:

bobblehead
08-26-2004, 07:42 AM

Sorry, I'm new here, and I'm not trying to attack. I have always heard this and have believed it as well. But now I'm starting to question if this is necessarily the case anymore. With the onslaught of running-style qb's, and all the draws, screens and end-arounds I'm seeing, I'm beginning to think that big, fast guards with the ability to pull and trap are becoming just as valuable as left tackles.

R. Rich
08-26-2004, 07:48 AM
ESPN reported that he wasn't going to beat out Barry Sims so he was moved to guard. It will be like when Jonathan Ogden was moved to guard he rookie year.

Yeah, something like that. This is not a big issue. Both Sims and Gallery will do just fine and eventually you'll see Gallery as the starter at LT.

Mike in Syracuse
08-26-2004, 08:18 AM
That's a whole lot of dollars to pay for a guard. The predominant opinion is that guards are more readily available than tackles therefore they are cheaper. Gallery got HUGE dollars to play tackle as the #2 draft choice. I'm sure the Raiders planned to have him at tackle or they wouldn't have picked him #2 and paid him that kind of money.

The Spaz
08-26-2004, 08:20 AM
That's a whole lot of dollars to pay for a guard. The predominant opinion is that guards are more readily available than tackles therefore they are cheaper. Gallery got HUGE dollars to play tackle as the #2 draft choice. I'm sure the Raiders planned to have him at tackle or they wouldn't have picked him #2 and paid him that kind of money.

The point is if he can't beat out Sims you at least put your best line out there as possible. Regardless of the amount of money he is paid he is still a rookie.

FTG
08-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Exactly. It never fails to amaze me how some people can say that every position on the O-line has a different value that they can be paid. :huh:

Go check the NFLPA site and see the differance in guard and tackle pay :rolleyes:

FTG
08-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Sorry, I'm new here, and I'm not trying to attack. I have always heard this and have believed it as well. But now I'm starting to question if this is necessarily the case anymore. With the onslaught of running-style qb's, and all the draws, screens and end-arounds I'm seeing, I'm beginning to think that big, fast guards with the ability to pull and trap are becoming just as valuable as left tackles.
maybe..........but will we see teams giving them LT money? I doubt it.

G. Host
08-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Gallery actually may get paid MORE to be a guard ratehr than a tackle. His contract has incentives which pay him extra if he makes it to probowls and it will be a lot easier for him to make it as a rookie guard rather than a rookie tackle.

That Guy
08-26-2004, 09:29 AM
At least Gallery is getting on the field. Many many teams are going to be paying their first-rounders to sit the bench... at least he's gonna be out there making an impact somewhere.

Canadian'eh!
08-26-2004, 10:12 AM

Then why are we having such a hard time getting G's and C's that can pass block????

G. Host
08-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Because the Bills have been signing tackles and not guards. Have you looked at roster and seen how many tackles there are on it?

The_Philster
08-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Go check the NFLPA site and see the differance in guard and tackle pay :rolleyes:
So if we have a guard who is better than any tackle on our team, then he can't be paid like it? just because of his position? :huh:

FTG
08-26-2004, 03:45 PM
So if we have a guard who is better than any tackle on our team, then he can't be paid like it? just because of his position? :huh:

Sure he can be but he likely won't be. I'm not the one who says you can plug any smuck in at guard. It just seems to be the NFL teams way of doing things. Build from the outside in.

Bulldog
08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
So if Price is adequate at right tackle, should the Bills move Williams to left guard? A Jennings/Williams combo on that left side could have the potential to be dominant. Any thoughts?

FTG
08-26-2004, 04:03 PM
So if Price is adequate at right tackle, should the Bills move Williams to left guard? A Jennings/Williams combo on that left side could have the potential to be dominant. Any thoughts?

Yes, if thats makes our line better.

Ebenezer
08-26-2004, 04:06 PM
the major difference is in the bonus money...and you can't find that at NFLPA.org...contracts are being structured in a way that in many circumstances you really can't judge the market by the base salary...