PDA

View Full Version : Denney vs Kelsay...

mysticsoto
08-27-2004, 10:24 AM
You know, I was thinking about this the other days...do you guys think it might be a good idea to swap Denney and Kelsay on different plays? Here's what I'm thinking...if Kelsay is better against the run and Denney better against the pass (as it seems at times it has been alluded to), maybe we should use Kelsay on 1st & 2nd downs and use Denney on 3rd downs.

Alternatively, we could use Kelsay more against teams that run more, and Denney against teams that pass more.

Or we could base it on quarters, using Kelsay initially (1st half) and Denney on the 2nd half.

In truth, I don't think either has shown to be a dramatic improvement over the other, so keeping the position fresh might be a good idea.

Any opinions?

That Guy
08-27-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure where Denney has shown to be better against the pass. At least last season, he didn't create nearly as much pressure as we had hoped for. I think they'll just do a normal rotation of every few plays.... they'll get to a point (probably early in the season) that one will show to be better than the other.

BigZ
08-27-2004, 10:39 AM
My guess is that they'll rotate by series. I don't think there's enough difference in the way they play that would allow for substitution by down. Besides, I think each has got to have enough time to get into the feel of the game.

Just my opinion. Watch - I'll be totally wrong.

mypoorfriendme
08-27-2004, 06:15 PM
i think both are prodominantly run stuffers, and i think gildon is going to be the one going in there on passing downs. denney could be useful playing inside however on a passing down because he is about the size of a dt and wouldnt get overwhelmed

TigerJ
08-27-2004, 09:12 PM
If I had to identify a difference between the two, I would say kelsay is probably the better pass rusher, not Denney. If Denney is strong enough to hold up in the middle his height (6'7") could cause problems for QBs. I think he has gained some weight (muscle) but he's still listed at 275, which would be pretty light for DT. For some reason team websites are notoriously bad at keeping weights for players up to date. Oddly enough some shorter players seem to get taller over time on team websites too.

Jan Reimers
08-28-2004, 07:46 AM
I think Kelsay is more athletic, a better pass rusher, and - having bulked up to 270+ lbs. - probably as good against the run as Denney. I believe Kelsay will be the starter, with Denney getting some time as a capable backup.