PDA

View Full Version : Bills' offense a question mark

BigZ
08-27-2004, 10:25 AM
http://www.sunjournal.com/sports/20040827026.php

G. Host
08-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Accurate accessment given that our OL is still being formed with one out of shape starter, one new free agent, one improved center, one position which has just to have starter setermined and one perpetually injured starter.

Mr. Cynical
08-27-2004, 04:41 PM
"Consistency," receiver Eric Moulds said. "I think we lacked a lot of consistency last year. And I think at times this year, in the first two preseason games, we haven't been really consistent."

The starters have combined for three scoring drives in six series, but all of them ending with field goals.

It's that inability to finish that concerns Moulds.Actually I would say they have been consistent....just not in the way they should be.

The Buffalo Bills defense is sound and their offense still unsettled.

The same issues the Bills had heading into training camp in suburban Rochester four weeks ago are the same ones they left with after packing up and heading home to Orchard Park on Thursday.That's pretty accurate IMO. Let's hope MM and McNally can get that ^#%# line working by 9/12 or it's really going to be a long season.

Drive 4 Five
08-27-2004, 04:53 PM
I say judge the Bills on this game versus the Colts. This game will provide a good assessment of exactly where our team is at this point in the season. Remember that they are learning an entirely new offensive scheme. In their first year under Gilbride, the Bills were pretty sharp the first half of the season which says alot about Bledsoe's ability to learn an offense in a short amount of time. Pretty damn impressive to me. The problem was that we did not have an coaching staff capable of making the proper adjustments when the need arises. Eventually someone is going to expose your weaknesses and the coaches must possess the ability and innovation to make them. For example:the starting o-line has looked decent in handling pressure so far, but you can be sure that if this changes, the coaches will make adjustments to protect Drew. Tailor the offense to the strengths of your players. Go back and check out the offense Parcells used when Drew was his quarterback: short & intermediate routes, strong emphasis on the running game, screens, dumping the ball off in the flat, ect. Don't give the defense the opportunity to pressure your quarterback (3-5 step drops-4 seconds and the ball is gone-max protect with multiple receiver sets). Drew had his best success in that type of system. We have some pretty impressive backs too. It will take a little time but I believe that there is no way the Bills regress as they did under the former coaching regime, not with the experience we have on staff.

HenryRules
08-27-2004, 05:43 PM
I'm looking for more than just points against Indy. Aside from Freeney, there's hardly a player on the Colts D that is worth starting. They're all smoke and mirrors by Gundy and Meeks - even the smoke and mirrors isn't that effective. With their front 7, if we're not pounding, pounding, pounding, and opening huge holes to run through, things are not looking very promising.