PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Smith vs. Ross Tucker

finsrclowns
08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
I admit to being very close to obsessesd with this position, but I have a favor to ask Zone members.

Anyone who has NFL Network and is planning to watch the game Sunday night, try to pay attention to how both Smith and Tucker do. I don't think the coaches have made a final decision on the starter so hopefully one or the other will step up. Please post your thoughts on this thread Monday. Thanks. :trance:

saviorbledsoe
08-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I admit to being very close to obsessesd with this position, but I have a favor to ask Zone members.

Anyone who has NFL Network and is planning to watch the game Sunday night, try to pay attention to how both Smith and Tucker do. I don't think the coaches have made a final decision on the starter so hopefully one or the other will step up. Please post your thoughts on this thread Monday. Thanks. :trance:

Tucker is playing center. and i hope he beats out Teague tills its said and done.

finsrclowns
08-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Tucker is playing center. and i hope he beats out Teague tills its said and done.

Leo Roth of Buffalo News said today "Meanwhile, left guard is a merry-go-round with Tucker and newcomer Lawrence Smith still battling it out after Mike Pucillo laid an egg."

Tucker has seen time at center but he also relieved Smith last week after only a few series at LG. That battle is not over. As much as I would like to see it change, I'm close to resigned that Teague will retain his starting spot at center over Tucker.

Ebenezer
08-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Leo Roth of Buffalo News said today "Meanwhile, left guard is a merry-go-round with Tucker and newcomer Lawrence Smith still battling it out after Mike Pucillo laid an egg."

Tucker has seen time at center but he also relieved Smith last week after only a few series at LG. That battle is not over. As much as I would like to see it change, I'm close to resigned that Teague will retain his starting spot at center over Tucker.
salary cap-wise there is no need to get rid of Teague unless he absolutely sucks...

G. Host
08-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Teague seems to have improved this year so I am less worried about him.
Either Tucker or Smith appears to be better than either Pucillo or Sullivan as guard. Smith may have more potential but I think Tucker is a more sound player.

ScottLawrence
08-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Teague looks great so far.

Tatonka
08-27-2004, 12:52 PM

i agree.. he has only had 3 friggin botched shotgun snaps so far.. and even though most of the top centers in the league (which is what he should be compaired against, since his 2.5 million is top center money) dont mess up that many snaps in a season.. who really needs a center that can shotgun snap anyway.. drew is plenty mobile to just take the snap from under center and drop back.

:shakeno:

saviorbledsoe
08-27-2004, 01:28 PM

what kind of craziness is this?

Goobylal
08-27-2004, 01:28 PM

The battle is pretty much over. Smith has the job. Tucker will concentrate on backup OC.

BillsRockSOMUCH
08-27-2004, 02:30 PM
The battle is pretty much over. Smith has the job. Tucker will concentrate on backup OC.
I agree with you there, what has Smith done to prove he doesn't deserve the job? He's been solid since he arrived. Tucker is good but really hasn't stood out and told the coaching staff he deserves the job like Smith did. People said Tucker had a great shot at the job early in training camo but didn't even outplay Pucillio.

finsrclowns
08-27-2004, 04:46 PM

If I were Smith's dad I sure as he!! wouldn't tell Lawrence that. Believe me, both guys are going to get a long look Sunday and Smith better have a good game if he wants to lock up the job. I'd go as far as to say he has to play every bit as well or better than Tucker this week to get the nod. It's not like he's the incumbant starter- he's had what 5-6 practices and part of 1 game with the first unit? It ain't over till it's over.

finsrclowns
08-27-2004, 04:47 PM
i agree.. he has only had 3 friggin botched shotgun snaps so far.. and even though most of the top centers in the league (which is what he should be compaired against, since his 2.5 million is top center money) dont mess up that many snaps in a season.. who really needs a center that can shotgun snap anyway.. drew is plenty mobile to just take the snap from under center and drop back.

:shakeno:

:roflmao:

HenryRules
08-27-2004, 05:40 PM
I know Pucillo sucked ... but man, I don't know if I've ever seen someone drop so quickly.

He was a starter no more than 2 weeks ago and now you never even hear his name mentioned by anyone.

The_Philster
08-27-2004, 05:42 PM
I know Pucillo sucked ... but man, I don't know if I've ever seen someone drop so quickly.

He was a starter no more than 2 weeks ago and now you never even hear his name mentioned by anyone.
Maybe this coaching staff is just smart enough to realize he sucks, he'll probably always suck, and we're better off without him. :idunno:

Historian
08-27-2004, 06:50 PM

Tucker was doing a nice job pulling against Tennessee.

Goobylal
08-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Tucker was doing a nice job pulling against Tennessee.
Was that their 1st or 2nd team defense? Again in training camp, Tucker had his chance to unseat Pucillo for the starting LG job. Pucillo on it, and then proved he couldn't handle it, so by extension, Tucker also couldn't handle it. Smith OTOH has shown a lot of promise. True it's not over til it's over, but the fat lady is clearing her throat.

Mr. Cynical
08-27-2004, 09:13 PM

:shakeno::laughter:

Mr. Cynical
08-27-2004, 09:14 PM
....after Mike Pucillo laid an egg."
:roflmao:

:laughter:

:lol:

finsrclowns
08-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Was that their 1st or 2nd team defense? Again in training camp, Tucker had his chance to unseat Pucillo for the starting LG job. Pucillo on it, and then proved he couldn't handle it, so by extension, Tucker also couldn't handle it. Smith OTOH has shown a lot of promise. True it's not over til it's over, but the fat lady is clearing her throat.

Here's the thing: the Bills are looking for PERFORMANCE in game situations. Pucillo failed as starter, now Smith gets a chance. But the coaches will be just as quick to pull the plug on Smith if he lays an egg as they were with Puke. This staff isn't the GW hear no evil/see no evil band of clowns. The starters will play at least a half Sunday and my guess is both guys will get snaps with the first unit. Then the coaches will watch the tape and grade them both.

Also remember this, Tucker has game experience at guard in real live NFL games. Maybe he didn't remind the coaches of a young Hog Hannah, but the team performed better than when Puke was getting cannon shot into Bledsoe's lap. Right now JP Losman has been on the field for more game snaps than Smith, and we're talking preseason.

Don't get me wrong I'm ROOTING for Smith to EARN the job. Hopefully he will on Sunday. Because you can't truly earn an NFL starting position just from practice sessions, no matter who's listed where on the depth chart.

ScottLawrence
08-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Go watch over the two preseason games.

Teague hasn't got pushed back at all, OK run blocking, and not one botched snap.

Goobylal
08-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Yep, Teague has been pretty good actually. As for Smith, I agree that his game performance will earn him the job. Puke won it with his off-season work, but lost it with his game performance. I just happen to think that Smith will be a good player, once he gets more reps at LG. He went from backing-up Ogden at LT, to RG, to LG.

Historian
08-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Was that their 1st or 2nd team defense?

I want to say it was in the second qtr, but don't quote me on it. I haven't reviewed the Titan game tape yet.

buffmaniac
08-28-2004, 08:35 AM
This line continues to show improvement each day under McNally. By the time the regular season comes around, I think this OL will be solid. At least, I hope so. And if the OL does play solid with Bledsoe, Henry/McGahee, Moulds, Evans, and Reed at the skilled positions we will be a very dangerous offense.

ShadowHawk7
08-28-2004, 01:13 PM

Teague hasn't got pushed back at all, OK run blocking, and not one botched snap.
Yeah, really. When did Teague botch a snap? I think you may be being slightly overcritcal on him T.. He has played good. Nothing to write home about, but solid, which is where we want to get the rest of the Oline at least.

saviorbledsoe
08-28-2004, 05:42 PM

In the Denver game wasnt it him that was a swinging door that let the rush come in to sack Bledsoe in like 2 seconds?

finsrclowns
08-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Ok, I didn't get to see the game. Reviews on Smith? Tucker? Anyone else on the line stand out good or bad?

Tatonka
08-29-2004, 10:54 AM
the game doesnt come on till 9pm on the nfl network.. i can tell you tonight.