PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Backup Quarterback

Michael82
08-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Travis Brown looks like he just went down with the same kind of leg injury that JP Losman did. The Bills are NOW in the market for a quarterback. ANY backup quarterback. Who's available? :mad: :sadwalk:

ZacGriffi~82
08-28-2004, 09:36 PM
I"ve Just Recieved Word That The Bills Have Signed George Seifert!

Michael82
08-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I"ve Just Recieved Word That The Bills Have Signed George Seifert!
:rofl:

Don't you mean Jim Kelly? Or maybe Frank Reich?

The_Philster
08-28-2004, 09:42 PM
:rofl:

Don't you mean Jim Kelly? Or maybe Frank Reich?
I heard Billy Joe Hobert

:ontome:

Musashi
08-28-2004, 09:45 PM
GB might cut couch

Michael82
08-28-2004, 09:46 PM
GB might cut couch
I'd take him.

The_Philster
08-28-2004, 09:48 PM
I'd take him.
sick thought, but I think I would if Brown's injury is serious as well :puke:

Michael82
08-28-2004, 09:50 PM
It looks like Brown could be out for the season with that injury. I'd take Couch. :ill: :puke:

Michael82
08-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Here's the current list of available QBs according to KFFL.... :ill:

Before more cuts are made:

Josh Booty
Seth Burfurd
Henry Burris
Scott Covington
Chad Hutchinson
Rob Johnson
Matt Kegel
Zack Kustok
Shane Matthews
Scott McMullen
Preston Parsons
Chris Redman
Scott Rislov
Akili Smith
Phil Stambaugh
Tom Woodbury

saviorbledsoe
08-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Here's the current list of available QBs according to KFFL.... :ill:

Before more cuts are made:

Josh Booty
Seth Burfurd
Henry Burris
Scott Covington
Chad Hutchinson
Rob Johnson
Matt Kegel
Zack Kustok
Shane Matthews
Scott McMullen
Preston Parsons
Chris Redman
Scott Rislov
Akili Smith
Phil Stambaugh
Tom Woodbury

They bring RJ back and ill kill myself!

Chris Redman is the best our there ??? maybe Chad Hutchinson?

DraftBoy
08-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Matt Kegel, Josh Booty, Akili Smith would be guys id like to bring in without having to pay very much. Akili Smith I think could play well in a simple system.

STAMPY
08-28-2004, 10:13 PM
lets try to get kitna from cincy

Mike in Syracuse
08-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Can Sam Wyche still play? :trance:

G. Host
08-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Well the Bills PROBABLY wiould do better looking for a QB who would fit in a Bledsoe-QBed offense. A player who would NOT require too much retooling when he replaced Drew.

I hate to suggest this but since we have a master QB coach what about ... Jeff George? If a coach keeos his thumb and fist on him he has been able to perform before.

Either that or convince Grbac to come out of retirement ....

Ebenezer
08-28-2004, 10:25 PM
not exactly a lot of help out there and before anybody calls for AVP he was on the radio friday and said he cannot play until December.

kgun12
08-28-2004, 10:25 PM
lets try to get kitna from cincy

I agree 100% I have been saying to go after him ALL offseason. If not Redman might be good.

There will be more after tuesday also.

clumping platelets
08-28-2004, 10:26 PM
I will throw football for food :dance:

The_Philster
08-28-2004, 10:27 PM
I will throw football for food :dance:
Is there anything you won't do for food?

:ontome: :D

chubluv
08-28-2004, 10:30 PM
come on clump your not as mobile as u used to be.... lol

Dozerdog
08-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Charlie Batch from the Steelers, Akili Smith, - Didn't GB give up draft picks for Couch? Or am i wrong?

Dozerdog
08-28-2004, 10:36 PM
come on clump your not as mobile as u used to be.... lol

He'd make Bledsoe look like Lee Evans

saviorbledsoe
08-28-2004, 10:39 PM
T. Brown is getting all spirtiual in a lockeroom interview.

cablelady
08-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Yes. It's time for my Mike Cawley post.

:bow:

Dozerdog
08-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Yes. It's time for my Mike Cawley post.

:bow:

WHO??

G. Host
08-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Mike Crawley was in training camp for Bills in 2000
http://www.all-xfl.com/lasvegasoutlaws/team/roster/mikecawley.htm

Mr. Cynical
08-28-2004, 11:46 PM
My vote goes to Redman. He has the most talent (IMO) of any in that bunch.

saviorbledsoe
08-28-2004, 11:48 PM
My vote goes to Redman. He has the most talent (IMO) of any in that bunch.

holy crap i agree with cynical! is there a fainting smilie?

:doh:

Mr. Cynical
08-28-2004, 11:49 PM

:doh:This is what Phil and I use when that happens...

:jawdrop:

kgun12
08-28-2004, 11:50 PM

:doh:

Yeah if this bothers you go check out post#16!!!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-28-2004, 11:50 PM
How about bringing back Nathan Chandler the undrafted QB from Iowa that was here during the mini-camps that we had earlier this year and that we cut. I thought we should've kept him oh and We're keeping Zolman Bob Trimble did an interview with Wyche the day Losman got hurt and he said that they're going to stick with Zolman.

chernobylwraiths
08-28-2004, 11:55 PM
I think that whichever of the two from the Ravens that gets cut, will be the one. Either Stewart or Wright. Unless of course, someone else gets cut that we wouldn't suspect.

Mr. Cynical
08-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Stewart would be perfect IMO. Redman has talent, but would need more work than Stewart. Let's hope he gets cut...although it doesn't look likely given the way he played last game. :(

Tatonka
08-28-2004, 11:58 PM
neal odonnel.

he would play perfect in a run first system.

kgun12
08-29-2004, 12:00 AM
neal odonnel.

Not a bad thought T, but I have a question. Do you need to wear a mouth piece if you have no teeth. lol haha!

Ickybaluky
08-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Wright is going to start the season on the PUP for Baltimore, he won't be cut. Stewart has been awful, but is probably still their backup.

Charlie Batch is on the IR for Pittsburgh, due to a preseason injury.

Chris Redman had offseason shoulder surgery, which is why he wasn't signed by anyone. I am not certain if he has started throwing yet, I just know his surgery kept him from working out for teams.

saviorbledsoe
neal odonnel.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh very good. is he out there or do u just think he will be cut.

Mr. Cynical
Not a bad thought T, but I have a question. Do you need to wear a mouth piece if you have no teeth. lol haha!
:roflmao:

Tatonka
08-29-2004, 12:06 AM
neal odonnell retired when the titans gave volek the big deal.. he didnt want to sit around as a 3rd string...

he is available.

redman was absolutely horrible every single time he stepped on the field. seriously..

any of those that are hoping for him really havent watched how absolutely terrible he is.. i would be happier with zolman as a number 2.. at least he has seen the playbook a couple times.

look.. bledsoe has been hurt one time in his career... when he was scrambling, ironically.. the back up wont see the field.. but odonnell would be the best bet.. imho.

Ickybaluky
08-29-2004, 12:08 AM
O'Donnell is doing work for a TV station in Tennessee. The Patriots tried to sign him this offseason to be their backup, but he said he didn't want to play.

He said he would consider signing with the Patriots in December if they looked like they were going to make another run at a Super Bowl.

Here is the link (http://www.patriots.com/news/FullArticle.sps?type=general&id=28965&typeid=).

Here is the article:

According to a report in Wednesday's Nashville City Paper the Patriots contacted former Titans quarterback Neil O'Donnell earlier this week to inquire about his playing status for the 2004 season.

“The Patriots asked if I would consider doing it one more time, and I kind of laughed and said 'Call me in December and let's see how you guys are doing, maybe making another run to a Super Bowl ring,” O'Donnell told the City Paper. “But as of now, I'm more or less finished.”

O'Donnell, a veteran of 14 NFL seasons with experience as a starter and backup with the Steelers, Jets, Bengals and Titans, is now working with WTVF NewsChannel 5 in Tennessee. The 37-year-old last played when he signed with Titans off the street last December as the team dealt with injuries to starter Steve McNair and backup Billy Volek. O'Donnell led Tennessee to a 33-13 win over the Buccaneers in his only start of the season, completing 18-of-27 passes for 232 yards and two touchdowns with one interception for a 102.7 rating in his only action of the year. For his career O'Donnell has started 100-of-125 games played, completing 1,865-of-3,229 passes for 21,690 yards with 120 touchdowns and 68 interceptions.

O'Donnell reportedly also turned down an offer to join the New York Giants earlier this offseason, although the veteran's comments appear to leave the door on his NFL career slightly ajar.

“It's that Super Bowl ring that always leaves you on edge about maybe doing it just one last time,” O'Donnell said. “I would definitely debate it and entertain it, and at least look into it to see what it's all about.”

For right now though when the Patriots came asking the answer was no.

saviorbledsoe
08-29-2004, 12:09 AM
neal odonnell retired when the titans gave volek the big deal.. he didnt want to sit around as a 3rd string...

he is available.

redman was absolutely horrible every single time he stepped on the field. seriously..

any of those that are hoping for him really havent watched how absolutely terrible he is.. i would be happier with zolman as a number 2.. at least he has seen the playbook a couple times.

look.. bledsoe has been hurt one time in his career... when he was scrambling, ironically.. the back up wont see the field.. but odonnell would be the best bet.. imho.

first of all KNOCK ON WOOD for what you just said about Drew. And if Odonnel "retired" doesnt that mean he has to stay out this year?

saviorbledsoe
08-29-2004, 12:10 AM
O'Donnell is doing work for a TV station in Tennessee. The Patriots tried to sign him this offseason to be their backup, but he said he didn't want to play.

He said he would consider signing with the Patriots in December if they looked like they were going to make another run at a Super Bowl.

Here is the link (http://www.patriots.com/news/FullArticle.sps?type=general&id=28965&typeid=).

Here is the article:

According to a report in Wednesday's Nashville City Paper the Patriots contacted former Titans quarterback Neil O'Donnell earlier this week to inquire about his playing status for the 2004 season.

“The Patriots asked if I would consider doing it one more time, and I kind of laughed and said 'Call me in December and let's see how you guys are doing, maybe making another run to a Super Bowl ring,” O'Donnell told the City Paper. “But as of now, I'm more or less finished.”

O'Donnell, a veteran of 14 NFL seasons with experience as a starter and backup with the Steelers, Jets, Bengals and Titans, is now working with WTVF NewsChannel 5 in Tennessee. The 37-year-old last played when he signed with Titans off the street last December as the team dealt with injuries to starter Steve McNair and backup Billy Volek. O'Donnell led Tennessee to a 33-13 win over the Buccaneers in his only start of the season, completing 18-of-27 passes for 232 yards and two touchdowns with one interception for a 102.7 rating in his only action of the year. For his career O'Donnell has started 100-of-125 games played, completing 1,865-of-3,229 passes for 21,690 yards with 120 touchdowns and 68 interceptions.

O'Donnell reportedly also turned down an offer to join the New York Giants earlier this offseason, although the veteran's comments appear to leave the door on his NFL career slightly ajar.

“It's that Super Bowl ring that always leaves you on edge about maybe doing it just one last time,” O'Donnell said. “I would definitely debate it and entertain it, and at least look into it to see what it's all about.”

For right now though when the Patriots came asking the answer was no.

i wouldnt want to play for the suck-ass patsies either :funny:

Ickybaluky
08-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Well, I'm not sure what kind of physical ability you have, but you don't seem to have the kind of makeup they look for in a player.

The_Philster
08-29-2004, 04:27 AM
And if Odonnel "retired" doesnt that mean he has to stay out this year?No

BillsFanInMass
08-29-2004, 04:43 AM
Dammit why did Losman have to get hurt i wish he was our second stringer learning.

bills_7
08-29-2004, 04:59 AM
sick thought, but I think I would if Brown's injury is serious as well :puke:

If we signed couch......... ill be first in line to buy his Jersey :snicker:

SABURZFAN
08-29-2004, 05:13 AM
i don't give a crap if rob johnson was the last QB available.TD better not sign that ****head. :mad:

The_Philster
08-29-2004, 06:27 AM
i don't give a crap if rob johnson was the last QB available.TD better not sign that ****head. :mad:
I don't see that happening. TD had to deal with him his first year here.

Typ0
08-29-2004, 07:07 AM
Here is my thinking...we don't need another QB we need another Punter. We should start punting on first down to throw off opposing defenses. Our defense seems more capable of scoring points than our offense so lets keep them on the field.

Jayhawk
08-29-2004, 07:11 AM
i'd sign redman and or couch because I don't want to see Zollman with the ball in his hand

BigZ
08-29-2004, 07:36 AM
LOL

AGREED !!!!!!!

BUFFALONRTH76
08-29-2004, 08:16 AM
I don't know, but I am really worried about things now! Losing Losman, and now Lawyer and Brown.... Not good, hopefully Lawyer just ends up getting a cast and sucking it up....

Ickybaluky
08-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Chad Hutchinson is available.

Tatonka
08-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Chad Hutchinson is available.

and your point is?

Mr. Miyagi
08-29-2004, 10:49 AM
This is why we should've signed Kordell.

Charlieguide
08-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I like Tim Hasselback in Washington. He'll be the odd man out behind Brunell and Ramsey, and I thought he looked good in relief last year. And anybody that looked good in the chuk 'n' duck -- er, fun 'n' gun -- deserves a look.

jbisset
08-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Guess my vote would be Jeff George if we could get him...else Redman or couch

Mr. Miyagi
08-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Guess my vote would be Jeff George if we could get him...else Redman or couch
That's like chooisng between slitting your wrist, bullet to the head, and hanging yourself.

DraftBoy
08-29-2004, 11:57 AM
I like Tim Hasselback in Washington. He'll be the odd man out behind Brunell and Ramsey, and I thought he looked good in relief last year. And anybody that looked good in the chuk 'n' duck -- er, fun 'n' gun -- deserves a look.

I dont know that its a sure bet he's cut. They may keep him around as their #3.

saviorbledsoe
08-29-2004, 12:02 PM

good point! i think he would be best out there.

Charlieguide
08-29-2004, 07:22 PM
And when Losman returns, it might even set up our next controversy! :bf1: :rolleyes:

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2004, 07:52 PM
That's like chooisng between slitting your wrist, bullet to the head, and hanging yourself.
:lol:

Canadian'eh!
08-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Redman is still a no go with his shoulder.

Kordell is probably not getting cut... Boller is injury prone and they have nothing else until wright gets back.

Tim Hasselback makes next to nothing so i doubt he gets cut. best #3 in the league probably.

What happened to the Griese. Weinke talk?

If thye aren't available I'd hate to say it but we need to think about Jeff George. Don't forget that he has had some success before.... he's better than those thher guys at least.

My vote right now is to wait for tuesday when a lot of roster cuts will happen and maybe someone comes available. (Ricky Ray?)

Jayhawk
08-29-2004, 08:20 PM
yeah you don't konw who will pop loose. Hope that someone good goes.

ArcticWildMan
08-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Chris Weinke would be a GREAT pick up!! He may not be a superstar, but he is a very solid back-up QB. IMO he got a raw deal with Carolina. They were horrible all around but he got the blame.

RedEyE
08-29-2004, 08:29 PM
With Rivers now signed in San Diego, Flutie could probably be lured away. :dance:

The_Philster
08-29-2004, 08:30 PM
With Rivers now signed in San Diego, Flutie could probably be lured away. :dance:
:zipit:

RedEyE
08-29-2004, 08:31 PM
:zipit:

:snicker:

Seriously though, if Luke McCown gets the axe from the Broncos this week, we should look into putting him on the squad.

Michael82
08-29-2004, 08:46 PM
:snicker:

Seriously though, if Luke McCown gets the axe from the Broncos this week, we should look into putting him on the squad.
I agree.

Earthquake Enyart
08-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Shane Matthews is the only guy on Mikey's list that I would have any interest in at all. The guy has a rag arm, but he is a smart dink and dunk guy.

Jayhawk
08-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Luke McCowan plays for the Browns, and he's their Heir apparent

I'M A BELIEVER
08-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Batch is injured at this point...not sure for how long.

To me, the best, realistic, cheap prospects would be: 1) Chris Redman
2) Akili Smith 3)Brian Griese

My wild card would be Randall Cunningham

Couch will cost too much.

There is a short little guy out in SD who might be available (he will most certainly be third string there......)

EDS
08-30-2004, 08:09 AM
This is why we should've signed Kordell.

Kordell is terrible.

Earthquake Enyart
08-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Zolman is better than Kordell.

Maybe we ought to find an option QB. With this line, he'll be running for his life anyhow.

I'M A BELIEVER
08-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Charlie Batch is injured at this point...not sure for how long..

Realistic, cheap vets I could see us grabbing: 1) Chris Redman
2) Akili Smith 3)Chad Hutchinson 4) Henry Burris (maybe the most talented but raw QB available.

How bout a deal for Brian Griese or even crazier....the little guy in SanDiego who will most likely be third string.....

Can Randall Cunningham still throw the ball? He is like 45 I think...

NC-BILLS44
08-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Randall won't be coming back. Didn't Hutchinson get hurt in NFLE???
They will probably wait for the axe to fall Tuesday. Why not wait a few more days?

NC-BILLS44
08-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Is Greise still with TB? Is Weinke still with Carolina?