PDA

View Full Version : Phil Simms' Thoughts on Buffalo

The Natrix
08-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Phil is one of my favorite color guys out there and I usaully agree with most of what he says, including his opinion of the Bills chances this year. Basically he thinks it will be another frustrating year for us. He doesn't like the O-line at all, and said that a strong one is crucial with a QB like Bledsoe. As for the rest of the East, he obviously holds the Pats in high regard and although he said the dolphins shouldn't be counted out, he would be very surprised if they had a good season. He likes the Jets with Pennigton having a new target in McCariens and also the additions of Donnie Henderson and Vilma. He says their pass rush is looking improved and thinks the Jets are a playoff contender.

Personally, I have to agree with him. I see the division ending up:

New England
New York
Buffalo
Miami

ScottLawrence
08-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Phil is one of my favorite color guys out there and I usaully agree with most of what he says, including his opinion of the Bills chances this year. Basically he thinks it will be another frustrating year for us. He doesn't like the O-line at all, and said that a strong one is crucial with a QB like Bledsoe. As for the rest of the East, he obviously holds the Pats in high regard and although he said the dolphins shouldn't be counted out, he would be very surprised if they had a good season. He likes the Jets with Pennigton having a new target in McCariens and also the additions of Donnie Henderson and Vilma. He says their pass rush is looking improved and thinks the Jets are a playoff contender.

New England
New York
Buffalo
Miami

As do I at this point.

And its frustrating to admit it but, Tom Donahoe just didn't get the players in here to improve this team.

The Natrix
08-29-2004, 08:22 AM
I think the two most important components to a champonship team are O-line and pass-rush. Both are unproven at best. I think it was a pipe dream when people were claiming the pass-rush issue was solved with the addition of a past-his-prime LB.

Historian
08-29-2004, 08:23 AM
As do I at this point.

And its frustrating to admit it but, Tom Donahoe just didn't get the players in here to improve this team.

I agree we could use some better O lineman, but the real problem is that it took him three years to find an NFL caliber Head Coach.

The Natrix
08-29-2004, 08:47 AM
I agree we could use some better O lineman, but the real problem is that it took him three years to find an NFL caliber Head Coach.

Phil said he likes Coach M. and his system, but questions if he has the players to make it work. I tend to agree.

Historian
08-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Phil said he likes Coach M. and his system, but questions if he has the players to make it work. I tend to agree.

I agree too, and that fact is only exaserpated by the injuries.

bernielivsey_1
08-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Man I dont wanna go 6 - 10 again. Are we DOOOMED?

saviorbledsoe
08-29-2004, 12:12 PM
F! Phil Simms

alohabillsfan
08-29-2004, 12:40 PM
this is great, for the last couple of years I have been pumped going into the season only to be disappointed!
Now, I see us as crap who knows maybe we will come out smelling like a rose instad of *****!!

saviorbledsoe
08-29-2004, 12:44 PM
this is great, for the last couple of years I have been pumped going into the season only to be disappointed!
Now, I see us as crap who knows maybe we will come out smelling like a rose instad of *****!!

just remember we were like 0 and 16 in preseason during the superbowl years.

juice
08-29-2004, 12:46 PM
As do I at this point.

Not only did they not get the players in here, But when our O-Line was already the team weakness they don't even make a real effort to keep our Line-Captain.. Look what we are left with.. Lineman with little experience and a practice squad guy at LG.

justasportsfan
08-29-2004, 12:48 PM
I disagree. We finish behind NE.

justasportsfan
08-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Not only did they not get the players in here, But when our O-Line was already the team weakness they don't even make a real effort to keep our Line-Captain.. Look what we are left with.. Lineman with little experience and a practice squad guy at LG.Back to your Ruben reference again?

mypoorfriendme
08-29-2004, 01:15 PM
doesnt anyone think we might be a little over-reacting after 3 preseason games?? i mean, sure its not a good thing that we dont look good, but i dont think this is a sign of things to come in the regular season.

im not giving up on the bills quite yet

saviorbledsoe
08-29-2004, 01:20 PM
doesnt anyone think we might be a little over-reacting after 3 preseason games?? i mean, sure its not a good thing that we dont look good, but i dont think this is a sign of things to come in the regular season.

exactly

carybillsfan
08-29-2004, 02:30 PM

Sorry to say this but I don't think anyone's overreacting at all, were just one blitz away from bledsoe being put down for the count and handing over a top 5 pick to the cowboys!(of all teams) Boy oh boy TD better get a backup qb or update his resume.

Bill Brasky
08-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Sorry to say this but I don't think anyone's overreacting at all, were just one blitz away from bledsoe being put down for the count and handing over a top 5 pick to the cowboys!(of all teams) Boy oh boy TD better get a backup qb or update his resume.

Add that to the fact that a lot of our key guys are out with injuries and our offense has been piss poor, failing to score any legitamite td's so far. They've put together some decent drives, but nothing that has gotten us into the endzone. Granted, we've played some good defenses so far this preaseason, but if the offense is this inept against a defense like Indy's, just think about how bad it's going to be against Miami's or NE's.

I'm normally 110% optimistic that the Bills will do well and I've never really been worried during the preseason... but I was VERY VERY concerned that this organization did not spend the offseason addressing the offensive line troubles we had last year, and I've *****ed about it a ton of times on this board. The way they've been playing, along with the injuries to other players, doesn't make me very optimistic. I'm concerned that we are probably not going to see much of our 1st stringers against Detroit, which means we're heading into opening day with the Offense playing like it has played these last three games, and that is a scary thought.

carybillsfan
08-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Add that to the fact that a lot of our key guys are out with injuries and our offense has been piss poor, failing to score any legitamite td's so far. They've put together some decent drives, but nothing that has gotten us into the endzone. Granted, we've played some good defenses so far this preaseason, but if the offense is this inept against a defense like Indy's, just think about how bad it's going to be against Miami's or NE's.

I'm normally 110% optimistic that the Bills will do well and I've never really been worried during the preseason... but I was VERY VERY concerned that this organization did not spend the offseason addressing the offensive line troubles we had last year, and I've *****ed about it a ton of times on this board. The way they've been playing, along with the injuries to other players, doesn't make me very optimistic. I'm concerned that we are probably not going to see much of our 1st stringers against Detroit, which means we're heading into opening day with the Offense playing like it has played these last three games, and that is a scary thought.

I agree with you completely and to top it off our first pick hasn't caught a pass all preseason

The Spaz
08-29-2004, 04:35 PM
I agree with you completely and to top it off our first pick hasn't caught a pass all preseason

I'm not positive but I have a feeling the Bills are hiding how they want to really use him. It's just hard to beleive that he is having such a bad preseason with him having such a greta campo against Clements and Vincent.

BUFFALONRTH76
08-29-2004, 04:36 PM
we're heading into opening day with the Offense playing like it has played these last three games, and that is a scary thought.
I thought the first stringers put together some decent drives last night with the exception of the boblled flea flick... Remember Travis wasn't running the ball either, and he makes a HUGE difference!! They'll be fine, I thought for the most part that Bledsoe's passes looked crisp.

:peace:

BUFFALONRTH76
08-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Oh and BTW, Phil Simms is a @#$!!!

The Spaz
08-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Again take training camp for what it's worth. There is no game plan and most teams don't want to show a lot of their playbook.

don137
08-29-2004, 05:37 PM
I have to admit, just like last year I went into training camp with expactations that the Bills can be a playoff and then as TC went on I started to see all the weaknesses of the team and reality starts to set in and I start to think it is a mediocre team. This year I am getting the same vibes but I am still holding a glimer of hope because I feel Mularkey, Clements, McNally and Wyche are major upgrades in the coaching staff. I feel they know the limitations of the team and won't try to do more than what the players are capable. The question is can they make this a playoff team and even though it is pre-seasaon I really think they can do it however I am more skeptical of it. Common sense tells me they are a .500 team +/- a game either way but like all fans I will enter the season with high hopes for my team.

A quick Phil Simms story. He was in Charlotte for the Panthers-Patriots game the other day and was on the local sports radio station. They were talking about his son Chris. He was saying over the summer Chris and his other brother were home and are into collecting throw back jerseys and ordered a bunch of them. The next day the company where they ordered from called Phil and told him they need a credit card for the jerseys so Dad had to foot the bill. I guess it doesn't matter if you play in the NFL, kids are still kids no matter what they do for a living...

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2004, 05:39 PM

New England
New York
Buffalo
MiamiNever been a huge fan of Phil, but this is exactly how I see it as well.

Forget about the preseason records. As SB pointed out, our preseason records were crap during the glory years. It is how we've been playing in those games that is important. No touchdowns from the 1st team offense in 3 games, tons of penalties and we are 2 weeks away from the season. This is the same ol' Bills offense, regardless of the coaching change and too few new players. Major changes were needed to be made and they weren't, which brings us back to TD not doing his job.

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2004, 05:43 PM
This year I am getting the same vibes but I am still holding a glimer of hope because I feel Mularkey, Clements, McNally and Wyche are major upgrades in the coaching staff. I feel they know the limitations of the team and won't try to do more than what the players are capable. The question is can they make this a playoff team and even though it is pre-seasaon I really think they can do it however I am more skeptical of it. Common sense tells me they are a .500 team +/- a game either way but like all fans I will enter the season with high hopes for my team.

I'm with you on the coaching upgrades. In time they should be able to get us on track. But this season is going to be rough, no doubt in my mind. The offense simply was not addressed properly in the offseason, so MM/TC are going to be limited to what they can acheive this year.

As I've said all along, I'm looking to '05 as to when the Bills "start" the process of being competitive again. This year is a dry run for that start IMO.

The_Philster
08-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Never been a huge fan of Phil,The feeling is mutual :mad:

HenryRules
08-29-2004, 05:57 PM
I thought the first stringers put together some decent drives last night with the exception of the boblled flea flick... Remember Travis wasn't running the ball either, and he makes a HUGE difference!! They'll be fine, I thought for the most part that Bledsoe's passes looked crisp.

Man ... you have a low standard for decent drive.

We didn't get inside the red zone once with our first string offense. How on earth can a drive be considered good if you don't get in the red zone?

elltrain22
08-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Yea our o-line is b.s. man. Ya know, Ralph Wilson, and Tom Donahoe said going into last year's offseason that our o-line problem would be fixed, well all we did really is add Villarial, which is good, but where is the rest of the help. NOt only is our starting unit bad, but we have absolutley no depth.

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Yea our o-line is b.s. man. Ya know, Ralph Wilson, and Tom Donahoe said going into last year's offseason that our o-line problem would be fixed, well all we did really is add Villarial, which is good, but where is the rest of the help. NOt only is our starting unit bad, but we have absolutley no depth.
Bingo.

saviorbledsoe
08-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Man ... you have a low standard for decent drive.

We didn't get inside the red zone once with our first string offense. How on earth can a drive be considered good if you don't get in the red zone?

El Wrong O!

Im watching the replay right now and we were at the 15 of the Colts with 13 min left in the second quarter.

HenryRules
08-29-2004, 09:06 PM
My mistake ... I was looking at the game summaries when I posted.

I forgot that we were in the red zone for one play and then got backed up to like the 22 or 23 yard line because of a sack.

But the point is still basically the same ... we didn't have a drive that ended in the red zone, so it's still not a good drive.

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2004, 09:41 PM
But the point is still basically the same ... we didn't have a drive that ended in the red zone, so it's still not a good drive.More importantly, the first O hasn't had a drive that ended in the END zone in 3 games. :doh: