PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher is over rated

mchurchfie
11-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Fletcher to me is a HUGE disappointment. He was supposed to be this hustling, playmaking, emotional, and inspirational linebacker and leader on defense. He has done nothing so far. He is always high on the tackles stats but most of them are downfield and rarely have you seen him disrupting a play in the opponent's backfield. Also, Tom Landry overdosing on downers had more emotion than what he brings to the table. Am I missing something here???

Honorable mention goes to to Eddie Robinson...a mere shell of himself and on the downside of his career...two years ago. Also, honorable, honorable mention goes to our wonderful defensive minded "conartist" HC Williams, his DC Jerry Grey, and all of his other wonderful teacher Asst. Coaches. They should be commended on teaching all of the players how to tackle...nice job guys!!:up:

Do us a favor Coach Williams. Take all of your Tennesee castoffs and your dumbass Tennessee 4-3 or 4-6 or 0-0 or whatever defense scheme that you call it and go find yourself a semi-pro team to use it on. Give us our beloved 3-4 defense back and quit embarrassing us. :rolleyes: :mad:

mybills
11-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
Fletcher to me is a HUGE disappointment. He was supposed to be this hustling, playmaking, emotional, and inspirational linebacker and leader on defense. He has done nothing so far. He is always high on the tackles stats but most of them are downfield and rarely have you seen him disrupting a play in the opponent's backfield. Also, Tom Landry overdosing on downers had more emotion than what he brings to the table. Am I missing something here???

He got <b>all</b> the credit for the 4th & inches stop last week, and it went straight to his head!
:loblo:

Ebenezer
11-05-2002, 07:54 AM
I'll keep repeating myself:

Other than Pat Williams there are no defensive linemen on this team. Combine that with the inflexibility of the coaches and this is what you get.

clumping platelets
11-05-2002, 09:02 AM
MLBs are whores of the DL. He's a solid MLB who lacks quality DL

Ingtar33
11-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Fletcher is the exact same player that Zack Thomas is... they’re both “ball hawks,” and both are good at pass defending… and are undersized, fast, MLB with a tendency to over pursue... the difference between them is that Thomas has a great supporting cast who cover up all his miss tackles. In Miami, all Thomas has to do is be the first man to the ball so that while he slows up the ball carrier allowing the fast Miami front seven to catch up. Fletcher had the same supporting system in St. Louis… unfortunately here, Fletcher is often the only man near the ball, and while he makes his share of tackles, often he is the only man within 5 yards of the ball carrier which artificially makes each missed tackle that much more obvious.

clumping platelets
11-05-2002, 09:05 AM
So...you agree with me? ;)

THATHURMANATOR
11-05-2002, 09:09 AM
I agree churchie!!

TacklingDummy
11-05-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Fletcher is the exact same player that Zack Thomas is... they’re both “ball hawks,” and both are good at pass defending…

I'd trade London for Zack anyday. Zack makes most of his tackles near the line of scrimmage. London makes his 5 yards away from it.

And I was laughed at when the Bills signed Fletcher and I said it wasn't a good signing. We needed DL, DE,DE. With a decent line infront of him Spoon would have played just as good as Fletcher. The only good thing about signing Fletcher was that Spoon got hurt.

During last weeks game they showed London standing by a bunch of Patroits and Bills and the first thing I said to myself is, Damn he is small.

clumping platelets
11-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Zach Thomas IS the most overrated LB in the league

colin
11-05-2002, 09:45 AM
London can play, he can play very well with some great supporting cast, but he can't do it all himslef. He is not Ray Lewis, or Cowart before the injury.

He gets $3 mil per season, he is payed below his Pro Bowl billing (by a lot) because he is small and not a first round big football factory guy. When we sign Takeo, and perhaps Grant Winstrom (I am hoping for a salary cap purge from STL) you will see our front 7 being 1000 times better.

John from Hemet
11-05-2002, 10:54 AM
If you put Zach Thomas in the exact same situation the exact thing would happen....

On any given play the Defensive Linemen must get pressure or at the very least clog up running lanes to some degree so that a running back is running downhill on every play with a view of a big running lane....the D-Linemen clog them up.....slowing down the runner....and the Middle Backer finishes them off...

There is also a situaiton going on where offensive linemen are being allowed to GET TO London Fletcher....a "200 and somthing" linebacker is never going to be able to hold the point of attack against a "300 and something offensive linemen" especially if that linemen has forward momentum.....Defensive Linemen are supposed to hold their ground or at least be physicall enough with the O'Linemen to slow him down a little if he is in a attacking penetrating defense.....

Blame the guys in front of London......not Fletcher

casdhf
11-05-2002, 10:55 AM
It was the same as it was earlier in the year. We're a Defensive tackle and a DE away from a descent Defense. I'd add Cover LB to that need pile now too. Robinson, Edwards and Ahanatu really should be reserves

Typ0
11-05-2002, 11:01 AM
Fletcher has more than earned some respect on this team with the quality of his play and leadership. Put him in the same system with a supporting class who is more prepared and he excels at what he does. Laying blame on individuals who are making significant contributions to wins is difficult to justify.

justasportsfan
11-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Zach is way better than Fletcher at this point. Could it be that no one can thrive on this defensive scheme?

casdhf
11-05-2002, 11:07 AM
We don't have the Defensive line Miami does

Typ0
11-05-2002, 11:09 AM
I think Chris Watson can be a big part of this defense next season. he's been out there since he was a punt catcher and constently pushed to the next level of expertise. Step him back into the position he was in a few weeks ago and give him the support he needs from the position he has been trying to fill could really pay off. At every level Watson has performed well. We need one fast defensive end right now and this defense will improve with leaps and bounds.

casdhf
11-05-2002, 11:09 AM
or maybe everyone finishes 8-8...that would be nice

Typ0
11-05-2002, 11:10 AM
Thomas's success is because he is in a quality defense.

Marcos20
11-05-2002, 11:20 AM
I think london is doing right, he just need some other mates to make plays..

John from Hemet
11-05-2002, 02:23 PM
I think it brings up another interesting question...

Just how bad was Brandon Spoon really? I used to be all over the guy because you saw him getting bulldozed by linemen....

But here we have a pro bowl middle linebacker that was the "heart and soul" of the rams defense and the same thing is happening....

Perhaps Brandon is not as bad as first thought hmmmm

WG
11-05-2002, 02:33 PM
"MLBs are whores of the DL. He's a solid MLB who lacks quality DL"

Fletcher simply doesn't have the East-West speed. It's easy to see if you're looking. That has little to do with the DL often. There have been times where he's followed the play right from inception and he still ends up making the tackle six yards past the LoS and from behind.

You guys will see that soon enough if you haven't been looking. A MLB, any MLB, and especially one on a team that is as pitiful as ours, should have more than the 53 solo tackles that he has. That's pitiful! He's not good. He would obviously improve w/ a better DL, but that goes w/o saying. I don't think he'd be at any significant level though.

mchurchfie
11-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
&quot;MLBs are whores of the DL. He's a solid MLB who lacks quality DL&quot;

Fletcher simply doesn't have the East-West speed. It's easy to see if you're looking. That has little to do with the DL often. There have been times where he's followed the play right from inception and he still ends up making the tackle six yards past the LoS and from behind.

You guys will see that soon enough if you haven't been looking. A MLB, any MLB, and especially one on a team that is as pitiful as ours, should have more than the 53 solo tackles that he has. That's pitiful! He's not good. He would obviously improve w/ a better DL, but that goes w/o saying. I don't think he'd be at any significant level though.

I wholeheartedly agree Wys. I am tired of hearing about how it is always the DL's fault. Sure they suck but you would think that he would make an impact play at least a couple of times a game. MLBs are in the best position to do just that, they have the freedom to decipher a play and roam and attack. Sure, the rest of this defense is pitiful, especially its scheme and coaches, but I really believe that Brandon Spoon played at a higher level than Fletcher when he played last year and he didn't have as good of a DL to work with. It is just like when a really good receiver is doublecovered..the special ones find a way to make a play.

:shakeno:

casdhf
11-05-2002, 02:44 PM
He's almost as bad as that "Belichick Check Mates Williams!" dribble.

:D

WG
11-05-2002, 02:47 PM
I sure hope you agreed with that! ;)

I think we're all in for a shocker in the remaining 7 games. There is no way we have a prayer in any of those games if we don't run the ball more than 12 or 14 times a game.

BTW, did you read it?