PDA

View Full Version : After the preseason games, is anyone else concerned about the upcoming season?

OpIv37
08-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Bledsoe looks like he's improved, but our star backfield is useless if the O-line can't open any holes. On top of that, we have no back-up QB, and an injury to Bledsoe iis almost inevitable with our crappy line.

The pass coverage has been good, but the D keeps getting burned on screen passes and can't seem to stop mediocre running backs. And now Milloy is injured... we have some depth in the defensive backfield, but I don't want to see it shuffled around all season due to injury.

Special teams has been horrible- I'm already having nightmares back to the 99 season, when special teams was an Achilles heel all year, and lead to their eventual playoff loss against Tennessee (even though it was a BS call, the Bills never should have let him in the endzone in the first place). But I digress...

All of these factors seem to point to a mediocre season- any thoughts?

carybillsfan
08-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Mediocre at best, I didn't think with a new coaching staff we would all the sudden be a power house. Its a good thing Drew is tough, he should last until JP gets back in there, but we need to find someone just in case. I do however have hope that our defense, which has seemed more aggresive in the preseason will gel and could win a few games for us. As far as special teams go, I think its time to look for a punt catcher. All in all if Bledsoe stays healthy 8-8 if not, who knows how high of a pick we'll give to Dallas next March.

Patrick76777
08-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Bledsoe looks like he's improved, but our star backfield is useless if the O-line can't open any holes. On top of that, we have no back-up QB, and an injury to Bledsoe iis almost inevitable with our crappy line.

The pass coverage has been good, but the D keeps getting burned on screen passes and can't seem to stop mediocre running backs. And now Milloy is injured... we have some depth in the defensive backfield, but I don't want to see it shuffled around all season due to injury.

Special teams has been horrible- I'm already having nightmares back to the 99 season, when special teams was an Achilles heel all year, and lead to their eventual playoff loss against Tennessee (even though it was a BS call, the Bills never should have let him in the endzone in the first place). But I digress...

All of these factors seem to point to a mediocre season- any thoughts?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=53151

OpIv37
08-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Patrick- I read your post in the other thread, and I hope you're right.... it's tough to judge how the regular season will go by the preseason, but I can't exactly be encouraged by what I've seen.

And I'd almost rather go into the season with low expectations than high ones- last year was so disappointing, and the high expectations created by the good offseason and the fast start made it that much worse.

Patrick76777
08-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Patrick- I read your post in the other thread, and I hope you're right.... it's tough to judge how the regular season will go by the preseason, but I can't exactly be encouraged by what I've seen.

And I'd almost rather go into the season with low expectations than high ones- last year was so disappointing, and the high expectations created by the good offseason and the fast start made it that much worse.

I don't worry! I just can't. Not based on Preseason.

My seats are right by the tunnel. I see the players when they come out for the game. The difference in the player’s intensity between a preseason game and a regular season game is unreal. It’s not even close.

LtBillsFan66
08-30-2004, 10:06 AM
I don't worry! I just can't. Not based on Preseason.

My seats are right by the tunnel. I see the players when they come out for the game. The difference in the player’s intensity between a preseason game and a regular season game is unreal. It’s not even close.

I hear you. I think R. Rich said it best on a post on TBD. The outcome doesn't matter, but you do want to see some execution.

I think the Bills played fairly well in PS so far. I'm not worried at all.

Last year, we stunk up the show in PS, and people were saying not to worry. I was worried, because we didn't show ANYTHING.

This year is different, IMO.

Earthquake Enyart
08-30-2004, 10:09 AM
One of the most disappointing things is how crappy our special teams looked.

Patrick76777
08-30-2004, 10:11 AM
One of the most disappointing things is how crappy our special teams looked.

Yeah, but they looked great in the first 2 games.

Earthquake Enyart
08-30-2004, 10:13 AM
I really hate seeing Clemens return punts. It's not like he's gonna break one. Nothing good will come of that.

Special teams is our depth. If these guys can't tackle or block.....

gsobie
08-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I see no reason to worry, this really wasn't a powerhouse team to begin with unless the OL dramatically improved, it hasn't. So we'll be anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5. I thought the Preseason has actually been pretty good. The offense moved the ball, defense created turnovers, Special teams looked good the first 2 games. Let's just hope the ST got all of this crap out of their system in one game.

R. Rich
08-30-2004, 11:44 AM

Welcome to 6 months ago. Let's hope Mr Donahoe finds his way here soon.

FTG
08-30-2004, 11:45 AM
I really hate seeing Clemens return punts. It's not like he's gonna break one. Nothing good will come of that.
He was one step from breaking one Sat

R. Rich
08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
He looked okay returning punts, but I would feel better about it if they could find some non starter to do it. Unfortunately, they haven't found one much better than Clements.

justasportsfan
08-30-2004, 11:56 AM
McGee looked good and so did Reed. I think April is just experimenting or trying to see his options.