X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Bills sign Shane Matthews

In the meantime, the Bills on Monday added journeyman Shane Matthews, who was with Cincinnati in 2003, but did not appear in a single game. The 10-year veteran certainly meets the requirement of being able to get into camp with the Bills, quickly assimilate the offense, and serve as a stopgap of sorts.

Matthews, 34, had played with Chicago (1993-2001) and Washington (2002) before signing a one-year contract with the Bengals last summer. The former University of Florida star has appeared in 29 games and started 22 of them, and has completed 490 of 836 passes for 4,712 yards, with 30 touchdown passes and 24 interceptions.

He twice started seven games in a season, with Chicago in 1999 and Washington in '02, but never has attempted more than 275 passes in a season. The Bills hope Bledsoe continues his durability streak: He has started 32 straight contests since being traded to Buffalo in 2002.

Teetering on the brink of potential disaster at the backup quarterback spot, the Buffalo Bills got some relatively good news Monday when an MRI exam indicated Travis Brown did not tear the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee, as originally feared.
  • shelby
    The Vanilla admin
    • Jul 2002

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

It's a backup and he is qualified in that department.

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla admin
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
          It's a backup and he is qualified in that department.

i hope you're right Spaz....

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

i always liked shane matthews simply because he looks like my older brother.

hopefully the offensive line doesnt get bledsoe killed and he wont see the field.. and at least if they are going to get bledsoe killed (which i fear they might.. then it will be after travis and losman get healthy.)
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
              hopefully the offensive line doesnt get bledsoe killed and he wont see the field.. and at least if they are going to get bledsoe killed (which i fear they might.. then it will be after travis and losman get healthy.)
              Agreed. If the line can just keep Drew on his feet until mid-October, Brown/JP just might be ready to step in.

Comment

• The Natrix
                • Jul 2002

Good pick up, I think. I really don't see anyone out there who is definitely better when it comes to stepping in for 1 or 2 games. However, there is a few guys I would rather have if it was a longer strech of games.

Byrd.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Today, having the name Shane Matthews on the Bills roster, is one of the darkest days in Bills history...

Comment

• shelby
                    The Vanilla admin
                    • Jul 2002

Double E will be pleased.

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                    Shane Matthews is the best QB left on the garbage pile. He'd be a good stop gap for the 4-6 weeks that Brown would be out.

Comment

• The Natrix
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                      Today, having the name Shane Matthews on the Bills roster, is one of the darkest days in Bills history...

You don't like Shane Matthews? YOU'RE NOT A BILLS FAN!!!

Byrd.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

When you lose your 2 backup QBs, it's a dark day anyway no matter who we signed. Face it, the pickings are slim to say the least
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by The Natrix
                          You don't like Shane Matthews? YOU'RE NOT A BILLS FAN!!!

LOL

I feel some sarcasm fuming off that turd.

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Jul 2003

I dont really remember watching the kid in Chi-town but his numbers look half decent from what I saw. Do you guys really think T. Brown is better than him?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                              When you lose your 2 backup QBs, it's a dark day anyway no matter who we signed. Face it, the pickings are slim to say the least
                              Should go into the season with just Bledsoe, better than wasting a penny on this Matthews craphead.

Comment

Working...
                              X