PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign Shane Matthews

The Spaz
08-30-2004, 04:16 PM
In the meantime, the Bills on Monday added journeyman Shane Matthews, who was with Cincinnati in 2003, but did not appear in a single game. The 10-year veteran certainly meets the requirement of being able to get into camp with the Bills, quickly assimilate the offense, and serve as a stopgap of sorts.

Matthews, 34, had played with Chicago (1993-2001) and Washington (2002) before signing a one-year contract with the Bengals last summer. The former University of Florida star has appeared in 29 games and started 22 of them, and has completed 490 of 836 passes for 4,712 yards, with 30 touchdown passes and 24 interceptions.

He twice started seven games in a season, with Chicago in 1999 and Washington in '02, but never has attempted more than 275 passes in a season. The Bills hope Bledsoe continues his durability streak: He has started 32 straight contests since being traded to Buffalo in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1871103

shelby
08-30-2004, 04:18 PM
:nervous:

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2004, 04:18 PM
:doh:

The Spaz
08-30-2004, 04:20 PM
It's a backup and he is qualified in that department.

shelby
08-30-2004, 04:24 PM
:scratch:

:scratch:

i hope you're right Spaz....

:pray:

Tatonka
08-30-2004, 04:27 PM
i always liked shane matthews simply because he looks like my older brother.

hopefully the offensive line doesnt get bledsoe killed and he wont see the field.. and at least if they are going to get bledsoe killed (which i fear they might.. then it will be after travis and losman get healthy.)

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2004, 04:30 PM
hopefully the offensive line doesnt get bledsoe killed and he wont see the field.. and at least if they are going to get bledsoe killed (which i fear they might.. then it will be after travis and losman get healthy.)
Agreed. If the line can just keep Drew on his feet until mid-October, Brown/JP just might be ready to step in.

The Natrix
08-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Good pick up, I think. I really don't see anyone out there who is definitely better when it comes to stepping in for 1 or 2 games. However, there is a few guys I would rather have if it was a longer strech of games.

Mr. Miyagi
08-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Today, having the name Shane Matthews on the Bills roster, is one of the darkest days in Bills history...:ill:

shelby
08-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Double E will be pleased.

Shane Matthews is the best QB left on the garbage pile. He'd be a good stop gap for the 4-6 weeks that Brown would be out.

The Natrix
08-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Today, having the name Shane Matthews on the Bills roster, is one of the darkest days in Bills history...:ill:

You don't like Shane Matthews? YOU'RE NOT A BILLS FAN!!!

Philagape
08-30-2004, 04:40 PM
When you lose your 2 backup QBs, it's a dark day anyway no matter who we signed. Face it, the pickings are slim to say the least

saviorbledsoe
08-30-2004, 04:42 PM
You don't like Shane Matthews? YOU'RE NOT A BILLS FAN!!!

LOL

I feel some sarcasm fuming off that turd. :meh:

saviorbledsoe
08-30-2004, 04:43 PM
I dont really remember watching the kid in Chi-town but his numbers look half decent from what I saw. Do you guys really think T. Brown is better than him?

Mr. Miyagi
08-30-2004, 04:44 PM
When you lose your 2 backup QBs, it's a dark day anyway no matter who we signed. Face it, the pickings are slim to say the least
Should go into the season with just Bledsoe, better than wasting a penny on this Matthews craphead. :couch:

saviorbledsoe
08-30-2004, 04:44 PM
I dont know why we didnt wait till the cuts happen. I mean what could it have hurt? Hasselback, Gannon, Couch, Kordel, etc could have been out there.

ryjam282
08-30-2004, 04:50 PM

I've said in once, I'll say it again....Gator QB's suck...always have, always will. DAMN!!!

PLEASE oh PLEASE STAY HEALTHY DREW.

FTG
08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Should go into the season with just Bledsoe, better than wasting a penny on this Matthews craphead. :couch:

and play Zolman if Bledsoe goes down? :rolleyes:

Dozerdog
08-30-2004, 04:57 PM

Geeesh- did Shane Matthews knock up your sister or something?

I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Shane Matthews at the helm if Bledsoe ever went down than Travis Brown- that's for sure!

He's a clip board carrier at less than vet minimum! He will make $750,000 but show up at half that because of the vet minimum exemption. God forbid he goes in, he's been a starter many times before.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-30-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm not believing this story it's not official until it's up on www.BuffaloBills.com ESPN has said stuff not being true like the injury to T. Brown to be season ending and if I remember correctly they said that we had signed Woody as a FA and we wound up signing Villarial instead. who reported this story Chris I don't know what I'm reporting Mortensen or the Big doofus John Clayton with the glasses or was it Len fat man Pasquerelli I hate them all. :yap:

FTG
08-30-2004, 04:58 PM
?

I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Shane Matthews at the helm if Bledsoe ever went down than Travis Brown- that's for sure!

Me too.

northernbillfan
08-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Matthews is a good pick. As EE said, he is one of the better ones left on the scrap heap.

DraftBoy
08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
I like it alot...good signing

ScottLawrence
08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
I've said in once, I'll say it again....Gator QB's suck...always have, always will. DAMN!!!

PLEASE oh PLEASE STAY HEALTHY DREW.

So... I guess you think Grossman is going to bust.

gsobie
08-30-2004, 05:23 PM
I'm happy with it. In fact, I wouldn't mind if we kept him over Brown. I can't believe the number of people that said our season was history because Brown went down! :funny:

Since when did Brown as our backup make us feel safe if anything happened to Bledsoe? The only thing Matthews needs is the crash course. I know they say Brown was having a good camp, but come on, its Travis Brown!

RedEyE
08-30-2004, 05:27 PM
I really don't think it's a bad pick up. He might not be the ideal backup QB, but he's had more experience starting than Brown. I would have been satisfied with him or Doug Johnson.

EDS
08-30-2004, 05:27 PM
I dont know why we didnt wait till the cuts happen. I mean what could it have hurt? Hasselback, Gannon, Couch, Kordel, etc could have been out there.

Couch is hurt and Kordell is worse then Matthews. Gannon would be nice insurance but I doubt he gets cut, Hasselback probably doesn't get cut either.

In the end, except for Gannon, they are all scrubs. Better to get a guy in sooner to learn the offense.

mayotm
08-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Couch is hurt and Kordell is worse then Matthews. Gannon would be nice insurance but I doubt he gets cut, Hasselback probably doesn't get cut either.

In the end, except for Gannon, they are all scrubs. Better to get a guy in sooner to learn the offense.

Agreed. The faster we got somebody in to learn the offense, the better. I'm glad that they signed somebody today. At least it will stop the moronic, "bring back Flutie" talk. Some of you people really need to get over Flutie. He's not coming back. Move on with your lives.

The Spaz
08-30-2004, 06:14 PM
It's official.

http://www.buffalobills.com/

Iehoshua
08-30-2004, 06:18 PM

Guess you've forgotten the guy who used to wear #11.. :winkpunch

Iehoshua
08-30-2004, 06:19 PM
At least it will stop the moronic, "bring back Flutie" talk. Some of you people really need to get over Flutie. He's not coming back. Move on with your lives.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEVER!! HE WILL BE BACK!! :crazy:

:roflmao:

FTG
08-30-2004, 06:23 PM
It's official.

http://www.buffalobills.com/

cool :up: we're superbowl bound now :clap:

The Spaz
08-30-2004, 06:26 PM
cool :up: we're superbowl bound now :clap:

Absolutely. :dance:

Marvelous
08-30-2004, 06:39 PM
I like this move because of the experience Mathews brings. Gannon or Couch might be expensive and with Drew & Lousmans big $$ contract...

Lets hope we don't need a backup....

bernielivsey_1
08-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Wow we signed someone who almost has even less mobility than Drew. Quincy or Kordell would have been better (if available).

The Spaz
08-30-2004, 07:06 PM
Wow we signed someone who almost has even less mobility than Drew. Quincy or Kordell would have been better (if available).

Kordell is in Baltimore and Quincy was just signed by the Jets.

Ebenezer
08-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Since Culpepper looks like he is going to make the Vikes roster I guess I'll settle for Matthews.

Hemlepp53
08-30-2004, 09:40 PM

Agreed... Best we got out there as of today... Cuts happen we might kick ourselves in the a** but we will see....

Ebenezer
08-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Agreed... Best we got out there as of today... Cuts happen we might kick ourselves in the a** but we will see....
can't wait for cuts...got to get somebody to learn the system now...

SaviorFlutie!
08-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Bring back Flutie!!!

saviorbledsoe
08-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Bring back Flutie!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHahaahahahahahha

I love it!!!

Hemlepp53
08-30-2004, 10:33 PM
can't wait for cuts...got to get somebody to learn the system now...

Correct...

BAM
08-30-2004, 10:33 PM
:rofl:

SABURZFAN
08-31-2004, 05:14 AM
Bring back Flutie!!!

SCREW THAT!!!!!!!!!i had my belly full of the runt and The Flakes.

Historian
08-31-2004, 05:27 AM

He's a clip board carrier at less than vet minimum! He will make $750,000 but show up at half that because of the vet minimum exemption. God forbid he goes in, he's been a starter many times before.

Amen to that.

Earthquake Enyart
08-31-2004, 06:23 AM
Shane Matthews is a dink and dunker. He's a smart guy who has run complicated offenses in the past. Doesn't have the world's strongest arm and can scramble a little bit.

In the world of garbage pile QB's, he's the tallest dwarf.

Jayhawk
08-31-2004, 06:31 AM
I like it, I just hope that he never has to see the field. but you konw that that amazing offensive (lol) line we have it might come sooner.

ryjam282
08-31-2004, 06:37 AM
So... I guess you think Grossman is going to bust.

Actually, I think he has the best chance of any of them but I don't believe he will be a great QB. He will be average at best. He will be a lot like a Charlie Batch, or something like that. Not absolutely horrible but not that great.

I'M A BELIEVER
08-31-2004, 07:48 AM
A couple of things
1) Matthews is a good signing because he is cheap (betcha dollars to donuts that we pick up a player or maybe even two when the cuts start rolling along...and maybe even someone good), experienced, and really guys....not a horrible qb. Check out his stats sometime....not good enough to win games for you, but good enough to not lose them....which is just fine for a backup QB. I wouldn't crap my pants if Drew went down....Matthews will be fine...

2) Mark my words, someday Doug Flutie will be back in the Bills organization...either as a scout or a pr guy or something...too many people think he is the greatest thing ever to not take advantage of the marketing potential. That being said, we will not see him in a Bills uni again....ever.

3) WE SHOULD HAVE GRABBED BRUNELL WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE AND CUT BLEDSOE. Then we would have had a solid starter at least instead of a huge questionmark.

Bulldog
08-31-2004, 08:15 AM
3) WE SHOULD HAVE GRABBED BRUNELL WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE AND CUT BLEDSOE. Then we would have had a solid starter at least instead of a huge questionmark.

Have you watched any of the Redskins pre-season games? Brunell has won the starting job only by default. Both he and Ramsey look terrible. For the money Washington paid Brunell, I'll pass. Before anyone chimes in, the same can be said for the money we are paying Bledsoe.