PDA

View Full Version : How many roster slots are going to be QBs?

MikeInRoch
08-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Since they aren't going to put either Losman or Brown on IR, does this mean we have to carry all 5 slots? Ouch. It seems like this could make us very thin in other areas...

Charlieguide
08-30-2004, 10:20 PM
I thought Zolman would be on the practice squad. Bledsoe, Matthews, Brown, and Losman make four.

It begs the question of Brown's future with the team. Once Matthews picks up the system, will Brown be able to unseat him? If the brass doesn't think so, they'll probably cut him or work out an injury settlement this week to save the roster spot. Otherwise, they'll probably cut Matthews once Brown and/or Losman returns, and activate someone off the practice squad -- someone not named Zolman.

Ebenezer
08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
it was reported tonight on ESR that neither Losman or Brown will go on IR...they will carry 4.

Dozerdog
08-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Can someone explain why?

No one will pick up Travis Brown- so why fret if we expose him? Losman is gone for Sept/Oct at the minimum- why not IR him???

They IR guys for colds for crying out loud...why would we waste 4 spots on QBs?

Ebenezer
08-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Can someone explain why?

No one will pick up Travis Brown- so why fret if we expose him? Losman is gone for Sept/Oct at the minimum- why not IR him???

don't know...just saying what they were saying on ESR...

Wraith
08-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Probably because, with the new, larger, practice squad they can afford to carry an extra QB on the roster without much worry. Both Brown and Losman will be inactive while injured so the game day roster will still have the same depth as normal to account for in game injuries, etc, and injuries occuring during the week can be addressed using the 8-man practice squad.

WagonCircler
08-30-2004, 11:43 PM
The way I see it, given our O-Line problems, we can't take the chance of starting the season with just two active QBs, which means we have to go in with Bledsoe, Matthews and Zolman. If we hold roster spots open for Brown and Losman, that makes five QB roster spots until Brown would back, likely week 6, maybe seven, then Zolman goes to the practice squad. This team(nor any NFL team) can't afford to dedicate that many roster spots to QBs.

Since Zolman obviously can't go to the practice squad before Brown becomes healthy, that means four QB spots at the very least until almost halfway into the season.

Since the coaching staff and management don't want Losman's development to be set back an entire season, I think they will negotiate an injury settlement with Brown, and then send Zolman to the Practice Squad once JP's healthy.

Demon
08-31-2004, 12:30 AM
I can see why they don't IR Losman. They want him to be their at practice, at the games and study hard behind Bledsoe. I think it's ovious that the club doesn't really believe in Bledsoe and wants Losman to be starting in 2005. And late this season, if the year is a wash out, they wanna give Losman a few real games get get under his belt before he is ready for a playoff run in 2005.

Losman would come back mid-November, if the season is a waste, he can still get alot of games in as a rookie. I definetly agree with the Bills for not IRing him.

Brown i don't really understand, esspicially since they signed a expierenced backup like Shane Matthews. He's not the best QB in the world, but has more expierence then Brown and has more skill then Brown. I think we're find Zoeman being the 3rd string until Losman returns.

The_Philster
08-31-2004, 03:02 AM
Can someone explain why?

maybe because they wanna have him later in the season :idunno:

McGee
08-31-2004, 03:50 AM
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think the coaching staff and/or front office wants to give Travis Brown a chance to be the #2 QB, so we won't see another injury settlement unfortunately. They also could have plans for him to be our "future" #2 QB when Losman eventually takes over. :idunno: I guess this would make Matthews the odd man out when they return.

McGee
08-31-2004, 04:29 AM
Bledsoe wants Brown to be involved (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040830/2061610.asp) during the season. "Travis is a guy I'm going to fight to keep around," Bledsoe said. "He's a veteran guy who's a great help to me. He's got to get back in the meeting room and on the sidelines with me because I need him around. Much like Alex Van Pelt was the last couple years, he's a guy I lean on when I come to the sidelines. He's a guy I lean on in the mornings when I'm watching film. He's going to have to get that thing fixed and get back in the meetings." Brown isn't going anywhere it seems.

CommissarSpartacus
08-31-2004, 05:10 AM
Travis Brown bashers are demented.

TD loves the guy.

The coaches love the guy.

Bledsoe loves the guy.

The team loves the guy.

But now because he sprained his knee, we're gonna cut him?

Matthew's is a rent-a-qb. As soon as Brown is healthy, Matthews is down the road with a solid chunk of change for holding a clipboard.

Dozerdog
08-31-2004, 07:56 AM
What has Travis Brown done?

In 3 years he could not unseat AVP. If they thought he was any good or had potential, why was he not in NFLE - like Chad Hutchison, Billy Volek or Rohan Davie?

Kelly The Dog
08-31-2004, 08:22 AM
It's a wee bit complicated but they have to carry four QBs on the active roster if they want to do what they want to do.

1. They will cut Zolman on the last day/cut and put him on the practice squad as emergency when no one claims him.
2. They will keep four QBs on the active roster (and already publicly said so) for several reasons: If you IR them, they are done for the season and cannot practice with the team. That means Losman's season would be shot and they want him to practice and maybe play some mop up duty in the last half of the season. He will likely be back practicing, even if it is 3/4 speed, by the midpoint of the season.
3. They apparently like Brown, at least a lot more than they do Shane Matthews, who is signed as a stopgap. TD said yesterday it may be even less than four weeks, for TB, which means he could be back as the #2 after the bye week, which is only two games.
4. Matthews is a necessity right now, but they won't need him, or likely keep him, after Brown is okay to play as a back-up. So, unless Brown's recovery does not go well, they will lose a roster spot now that they will make up after 3-4 weeks of the season.
5. This forces them to cut a player they may have wanted to keep for luxury or potential's sake (Lawton, Gildon, Jason Peters, Joe Burns, one of the five safeties, Dorenbos, etc.) and hope that they could get the rookies onto the practice squad (like Peters or Lawton). It is a nusiance more than anything and they might lose a pretty good player that they would LIKE to have but won't really hurt the team right now.
6. Fortunately, TD has loaded the team with players that can play multiple positions. They can cut Lawton and Burns and Peters and keep three TE's and one FB and still have Neufeld as the HB and back-up FB and keep either Shaud Williams or Simonton. They could cut Pucillo when they normally would have kept him because Tucker and Sobieski can play both back-up guard and back-up center. They could cut an extra CB, and just go with four for a couple games because PP has played it in college and in the NFL before. The roster spot taken last year for A. Brown will be open. Neufeld long snapped last game. There are ways to save the four QBs and still not put the team in jeopardy.