PDA

View Full Version : Which coach would you choose?

Mr. Cynical
08-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Nothing against MM at this point at all - I like what he says and we'll see what happens with the season. Just curious who people would take if he wasn't our coach and why.

It'd be Gruden for me. Love his attitude, energy and drive, and he is a proven winner.

Demon
08-31-2004, 12:21 AM
I wish we had fired Gregg Williams a year earlier and hired Jack De Rio as head coach. I love what he has done with the Jacksonville defense and his offense is going to be one of the most exciting in the league.

From your poll though, i'd take Bill Parciells. He's the best there ever was. He wins with anything he's got and any move he makes i respect because his knowledge has always been proven with any roster you give him.

Mr. Cynical
08-31-2004, 12:24 AM
I was going to add him along with Tice, but then I felt like at that point I'd be basically listing all the active coaches. :;

tampabay25690
08-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Not Gruden for me at all, I see alot of bad from that coach!!!!!!

Ask all the players that have left Tampa, they really have nothing good to say about him, thats the truth. He was given a great team by DUNGY, and won the SB.....

Coach I like...MArvin Lewis!!!!!

Mr. Cynical
08-31-2004, 12:54 AM

Ask all the players that have left Tampa, they really have nothing good to say about him, thats the truth. He was given a great team by DUNGY, and won the SB.....

Coach I like...MArvin Lewis!!!!!I'm not sure of what players said what, but if you are talking about those comments from Meshawn and Sapp, I wouldn't trust a word those egomaniacs said.

I'd say in part you are right about him being given a good team. But in the end Gruden got them to the next level, something which Dungy never could do (and still hasn't w/ Indy). Don't get me wrong - I like Dungy, but I think he is better suited as def coordinator IMO.

Edit: Gruden did pretty well in Oakland:

2001: 10-6 (AFC Divisional)
2000: 12-4 (AFC Championship)
1999: 8-8
1998: 8-8 (Gruden's first year as HC)
1997: 4-12
1996: 7-9

Historian
08-31-2004, 05:41 AM
I want Gregg Williams back! I have no one to rip on!

Perhaps he will be good enough to come back here and Coach the ECC Kats one day!

HenryRules
08-31-2004, 07:06 AM
I'd take Belichick ... first, I think he's currently the best coach in the NFL.

Second, then the Pats wouldn't have him and I think he's a big reason for their success.

I'M A BELIEVER
08-31-2004, 07:35 AM
If we are talking short term, to win right now....I would take either Vermeil or Parcells....those ol boys just know how to get er done and command respect.
I have always thought Bellichek's attitude will wind up biting him in the ass somehow, someday....so far I have been proven wrong.

But if I was going to take a coach with like a 5 year contract, etc......
give me Marvin Lewis....one of the best younger football minds in the game today.

Plus, he is well spoken, relates well with his players and is a no BS guy.

Dozerdog
08-31-2004, 07:35 AM
I'd take Joe Gibbs if he were 20 years younger

Mr. Cynical
08-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Second, then the Pats wouldn't have him and I think he's a big reason for their success.
Agreed. :D

lordofgun
08-31-2004, 02:46 PM
There's always George Bush! :D

qcsabresfan84
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM

Coach I like...MArvin Lewis!!!!!
if thats the case with dungy, then the team that gruden built is the team the bucs played in the super bowl because gruden was with the raiders about as long as dungy with the bucs. that argument doesnt work at all.

alohabillsfan
08-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Marv Levy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillsNick
08-31-2004, 05:29 PM
I'd take Belichick ... first, I think he's currently the best coach in the NFL.

:bf1: Well said :up:

RedEyE
08-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Vermeil - He takes the game to another level. Uses Marv Levy like tactics producing the best from his players without threatening them or belittling them.

Wolffman
08-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Parcells.

He's proven that he can turn the most pathetic teams into winners, which is sadly what the Bills need right now.

Hemlepp53
08-31-2004, 10:36 PM
I wish we had fired Gregg Williams a year earlier and hired Jack De Rio as head coach. I love what he has done with the Jacksonville defense and his offense is going to be one of the most exciting in the league.

Agreed De Rio has done amazing things In Jacksonville. I actully look forward to watching them play this season. :peace:

SABURZFAN
09-01-2004, 07:33 AM

i miss ripping on Gee Dubya but i'm not a glutton for punishment. :mad:

tampabay25690
09-01-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure of what players said what, but if you are talking about those comments from Meshawn and Sapp, I wouldn't trust a word those egomaniacs said.

I'd say in part you are right about him being given a good team. But in the end Gruden got them to the next level, something which Dungy never could do (and still hasn't w/ Indy). Don't get me wrong - I like Dungy, but I think he is better suited as def coordinator IMO.

Edit: Gruden did pretty well in Oakland:

2001: 10-6 (AFC Divisional)
2000: 12-4 (AFC Championship)
1999: 8-8
1998: 8-8 (Gruden's first year as HC)
1997: 4-12
1996: 7-9

Dont get me wrong Gruden is a good coach, but we were saying what coach we would want.......And I wasn't just talking about Sapp and Keyshawn that left or I wouldn't even have posted those comments at all......I just see alot more about Gruden then anyone else!!!!!!

tampabay25690
09-01-2004, 10:50 AM
if thats the case with dungy, then the team that gruden built is the team the bucs played in the super bowl because gruden was with the raiders about as long as dungy with the bucs. that argument doesnt work at all.

The argument works quite fine!!!!!!

Gruden was given a great team, I do agree that Dungy wasn't able to take the Bucs to the next level and Gruden came in and did that for the Bucs......But he just isn't the type of guy that you would want to run your team....I see alot that goes around here in Tampa and trust me Gruden isn't this genius that everyone thinks he is!!!!!!

Bulldog
09-01-2004, 11:11 AM
I took Parcells from that list. He gets the job done, plain and simple. One coach who I think is way underrated is Herm Edwards. Much like Marvin Lewis, he inspires his players to overachieve.

Hemlepp53
09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
The argument works quite fine!!!!!!

Gruden was given a great team, I do agree that Dungy wasn't able to take the Bucs to the next level and Gruden came in and did that for the Bucs......But he just isn't the type of guy that you would want to run your team....I see alot that goes around here in Tampa and trust me Gruden isn't this genius that everyone thinks he is!!!!!!

Agreed. He took them to the next level, but he managed to piss alot of players off shortly after that. Plus the K. Johnson move wasnt the brightest. Lynch, Sapp... I think he gave up alot of talent to prove he was the boss. I would rather have Dungy any day over Gruden. Just his style seems more player friendly.

ParanoidAndroid
09-01-2004, 11:38 AM
I like Fox. Why? Because that team in Carolina has so much in common with the Bills and he knew what to do with them.
1. Two headed running attack
2. Stingy defense
3. One star receiver
4. Mediocre TE's
5. Good punting unit

Fox was able to take a crappy o-line and make it work. That's what Williams failed to do and what MM is struggling with so far. But, there's hope yet.

Hemlepp53
09-01-2004, 11:53 AM
I like Fox. Why? Because that team in Carolina has so much in common with the Bills and he knew what to do with them.
2. Stingy defense
3. One star receiver
4. Mediocre TE's
5. Good punting unit

Fox was able to take a crappy o-line and make it work. That's what Williams failed to do and what MM is struggling with so far. But, there's hope yet.

Interesting Point Of View... Sounds Reasonable...

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 01:14 PM
2. Stingy defense
3. One star receiver
4. Mediocre TE's
5. Good punting unit

Fox was able to take a crappy o-line and make it work. That's what Williams failed to do and what MM is struggling with so far. But, there's hope yet.6. Inexpensive caretaker QB who doesn't make alot of big mistakes and can run a system efficiently enough to get to the super bowl.

Oh, wait. You said things we have in common. Sorry. :snicker: :;

Iehoshua
09-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Parcells. He's the only coach I believe can still make things work with Drew behind center.

"THROW IT! THROW IT! THROW IT!"
:snicker:

Iehoshua
09-01-2004, 02:55 PM
2. Stingy defense
3. One star receiver
4. Mediocre TE's
5. Good punting unit

Good points, however we need a coach who can WIN the Superbowl, not just get us there(again). :wink:

Ed
09-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Other, Tony Dungy

Iehoshua
09-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Other, Tony Dungy

If I had to pick a coach other than the Bills' current to with the SuperBowl, it would be Tony Dungy. While I like Dungy, he can never get his teams over the hump it seems.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 03:10 PM
The Tuna would be my second choice. I like coaches that don't take bulls**t from players. Both Gruden and Parcells are that way.