PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwan was wrong as I was

G. Host
09-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Who the starter is at quarterback is just one decision; what about the backup quarterback? Buffalo thought it had itself covered, but the Bills have been hit hard by injuries. With rookie J.P. Losman out and Travis Brown sidelined, look for the Bills to consider another player for the next month or two. Because a veteran on the opening-day roster would be paid for the season, I think the Bills would hold off.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7630139

While it is POSSIBLE that they could cut Matthews and resign him week 2 I do not think they will. I wonder how this will affect team later in year with Matthews being a 10 yar veteran? If there is any more unexpected injuries then the Bills will have to do some scrambling contract-wise to make room. Maybe Henry will be broke again and sign another low cost extension. ;)

ParanoidAndroid
09-01-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't see any huge problems evolving from this. The last I heard, Buffalo was 5.5 Million under the cap but will be slightly less after the Matthews signing. There would have to be a catastrophe in order to force the kind of moves that would call for contract restructuring. If it got that bad, I'm sure Buffalo would go with what they had and pick up the pieces for next year. The best option right now is to keep 4 QB's active and place JP on the PUP list which makes him available later in the season. When Brown is back, Zolman gets the axe and we stay with 4 QB's. It's not ideal, but considering what happened, there aren't many options.

BTW....Pat Kirwan is almost always wrong. :dork:

G. Host
09-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Losman can not got on PUP list - he was injured in camp.

And I beleive the cap space has shrunk since that figure was reported.

ParanoidAndroid
09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Hmmm....I guess I'm not familiar with the rule. So that means Zolman is a gonner by the roster deadline. Eh?

Jan Reimers
09-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Brown should be ready by about the 3rd regular season game, based on his 4-6 week diagnosis. He was injured 2+ weeks before the opener and we have a bye our 3rd week.

Depending on the need for a non-QB roster spot, we might cut Matthews at that time and go with just 3 QBs on the active roster - with just Bledsoe and Brown healthy. Under that scenario, Zolman should be on the PS for insurance.

When Losman is ready, Zolman becomes expendable, providing there is someone we could better use on the PS.

G. Host
09-02-2004, 07:51 AM
I dislike paying someone for a full season when the Bills plan on using him only for a couple of games as backup. Maybe he will get some mop up time and be featured enough another team who loses a QB will be willing to trade for him.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2004, 08:38 AM
If Matthews looks good, maybe Brown goes. I hate to see us carry 4 QBs for too long. We need the roster space.