PDA

View Full Version : Who is a better backup QB?

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Who is a better backup QB? Travis Brown or Shane Matthews?
:jawdrop: 550th post! :party:

lordofgun
09-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I'd take travis. Congrats on 550!

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Travis. Matthews has been around forever and you know what he can do, which ain't much. I still think Travis has gotten a bit of the short end of the stick in some ways and I think the jury is still out on what he can really do. Every time I've seen him he has been pretty good (albeit vs. prevent, or scrubs, or whatever) That's why I think the jury is still out because we haven't seen him truly tested.

RedEyE
09-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Prior to his injury,Travis seemed to have been working well with the offense this pre-season. Everything else that I have seen from him before this season leaves me to believe that they're both around the same type of player. Which is why they're both back ups. At least until one of them proves me wrong.

Jan Reimers
09-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Isn't it a little early, being that Matthews has been here one day?

casdhf
09-01-2004, 04:10 PM
I like Shane Matthews, at least with him you've got an experienced guy that you know what to expect out of him, which isn't much. Seems to me he's more of the AVP type of guy.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Although, AVP broke most of Marino's records at Pitt.

Love saying that. :D

I always rooted for him...to bad he never got past the backup stage. I guess some things are never meant to be.

casdhf
09-01-2004, 04:31 PM
I was happy with him as a backup. He wasn't great, or even good. But he was descent.

The_Philster
09-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Although, AVP broke most of Marino's records at Pitt.

Love saying that. :D

I always rooted for him...to bad he never got past the backup stage. I guess some things are never meant to be.
:faint: another thing we agree on. I will continue to say til my last breath that AVP would've gotten the starting job in 97 if not for that injury against Denver in the preseason opener.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-01-2004, 07:02 PM
I agree with Redeye that Brown and Mathews are pretty much the same. Brown has been decent in this offense and the coaches seem to like him, but Mathews doesn't have a very bad career TD to INT ratio and seems to realize he has to play within his limitations. Brown is younger and may be able to do more, but Mathews has more experience and knows that he has to keep his mistakes to a minimum. So, flip a coin: Brown may do more, but turn the ball over more; Mathews may not do as much, but will try not to make the big mistake. Which do you prefer?

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 07:33 PM
:faint: another thing we agree on. I will continue to say til my last breath that AVP would've gotten the starting job in 97 if not for that injury against Denver in the preseason opener.Watch out for more flying pigs. :;

If you look at his career with the Bills, the only "full" season he had was 13 games in 2001, and he was 58% for 2056 yards, 12TDs and 11 INTs. Not great numbers, but not terrible either considering a) Gregg Williams was the coach and was in his first year, b) RJ was the golden boy and getting all the practice and attention and c) he only played in 10 total games from 1995-2000, largely in mop up situations.

Dozerdog
09-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Dump Brown.

If this team was serious about his development- he should be starting in NFLE.

He's not our future, and he has no relevant experience in regular season. You want your primary backup to go in and be a caretaker- someone who is even-keeled, won't panic seeing Ray Lewis snarling at them over the line of scrimmage, and who has been there before.

Matthews and Jim Miller have been there, done that. They have the experience and mental makeup to be backup QBs. Zolman and Brown have no future in the NFL. Stop wasting our time with the two jokers back there now.

Playoffs on the line, Bledsoe out 1 week with a concussion- I don't think Travis Brown is the guy.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Zolman and Brown have no future in the NFL. Stop wasting our time with the two jokers back there now.IMO, Drew also has no future in the NFL either. I wish TD would stop wasting our time (and the millions) on him as well, but it is what it is at this point. :cynic:

But I can see your point about a backup. If he is not on the path to taking over the team (e.g., JP), then you want someone with the experience to caretake.

Demon
09-01-2004, 10:00 PM
No matter how horrid Matthews is, he's still an upgrade over Brown.

He's got expierence and actually some "OK" seasons under his belt in the NFL, while Brown......... has only see alot of the clip board on the sidelines.

The Natrix
09-01-2004, 10:14 PM
I voted for Brown. He's had a lot of time to learn the offense from the sideline and in practice. Isn't that the formula that everyone raves about when it comes to developing a QB?

I think they are about equally valuable for a one or two game stint, but I'd take Brown if it was a 3+ string of games. There is a reason why Brown has held on to a #2 job and Matthews thought he would be golfing this season.

Also, 34 is kind of old for a QB who never did much to begin with.

I'm not knocking the pickup though. There wasn't much else out there.