'96 Jaguars: 557 attempts
'95 Jags (expans. team): 495 attempts
'94 Oilers: 553 attempts
'93 Oilers: 614 attempts
'92 Oilers: 573 attempts
'91 Oilers: 667 attempts
'90 Oilers: 639 attempts

Avg. per season including the Jags inaugural season: 546

That's a bit outrageous. Apparently Gilbride seems to think that passing is the way to a team's success. Must be all of those Super Bowl rings he has! :rolleyes:

I sure hope Williams can slap some sense into Gilbride's head. After seeing this coupled w/ some of the paltry #s of carries by his RBs during those same years, I am starting to hope he's gone next year.

I think his "success", never ultimately mind you, has warped Gilbride's sense of reality!

He started in Houston as a Quarterbacks coach. That is really starting to explain all of this nonsense. Maybe Williams should make him the running backs coach for next season!

Novacane
11-05-2002, 03:38 PM
Wys...............I know you like to go against the tide but the real problem on this team is Defense. The offense has made great strides under KG. Yea he should run more but I don't think they trust Henry with the ball. I really can't blame them. Who do you trust more not to make a mistake? Henry or Bledsoe?

LtBillsFan66
11-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Agree with BTR. It's our d wys.

Tatonka
11-05-2002, 04:33 PM
cris carter

lunatic_bills_fan
11-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Hard to run the ball when you know you are going to have to score every drive because thats what your defence is allowing the opposition to do. When the opposition is making a regular habit of the 6-8 min drives. What exactly does that leave you with when the Ofeence steps onto the field. Take a look at the numbers bro, our Offence is not even close to our problems.

WG
11-05-2002, 05:30 PM
OK then BFO and B2R46,

You guys both criticize me when I said that about Henry when he was fumbling. He's gotten better now and still isn't being run.

Nevertheless, to answer your question, while you think Drew is the best QB in the '90s, the fact is that many of his TDs have come this year against less than formidable foes. Ie., teams w/ Ds that suck! It does not appear that his second half will even approach his first.

Regardless, since when do you decide to pass against a team w/ an incredble secondary yet that has allowed an average of over 140 rushing yards per game this season???

You guys make no sense.

You guys were arguing w/ me that Henry was the man earlier. That was when his fumbling problems were at their greatest. Now that that's improved, you don't trust him.

Whatever.

Then why keep him? If they distrust him so much that he can't be productive against a team w/ a rush D like N.E.'s has been, then why run at all?

Trade Henry for another WR then. Or a TE. But let's end this foolishness then!

WG
11-05-2002, 05:31 PM
...or does he look good sitting on the bench?

casdhf
11-05-2002, 05:31 PM
To make this a typical post, shouldn't you factor out the low season with Jax?

WG
11-05-2002, 05:41 PM
I wanted to make you happy...!

:D

BillsOwnAll
11-05-2002, 05:56 PM
our o is good if r d could play we would win alot more

Earthquake Enyart
11-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
But let's end this foolishness then!

Amen brother.

RedEyE
11-05-2002, 06:12 PM
I actually agree with Wys on this. Henry should be inserted into the offense more. His abilities are useless to the Bills when he is sitting on the bench and the lack of ball control is becoming a serious issue. Thanks for the Gilbride stats ~ I've been looking for these myself. Confirms a lot of my suspicions

Ð
11-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Henry was getting tackled in the backfield after the 1st quarter. The OL couldn't adjust to NE's defense running all over the place like a CFL offense before the snap :)

How do you counter that kind of defensive scheme? Power running! If they don't set & dont anchor, it's really very simple....you just pin back your ears & pound the ball. I don't know if it's the OL not knowing how to take advantage of that situation or a coaching blunder by not running the ball & making them pay. On an over-stunting DL, you should be able to pick up 5 yds on every run attempt.

hmmmmm....

shelby
11-05-2002, 07:39 PM
Gilbride:chair:shelby

i smell a coaching change coming.

SABURZFAN
11-05-2002, 07:46 PM
i don't agree with the fact that 75% of our plays were passes.despite the early struggle with the running game,we should have ran the ball more than 13 times.i wasn't thrilled with the idea of gilbride being here but it sure as hell beats pendry's dried up system.with the exception of the last game,i think he's done a good job.i think the problem is Gee Dubya and gray.

colin
11-05-2002, 11:10 PM
Of course we need to run more. The thing is, we have had success against different teams running, so it is not like we can't do it. When Big Mike is back in there you will see some big gains for Travis. I think he is gonna break 1200 wide open.

WG
11-06-2002, 08:57 AM
Doug,

"Henry was getting tackled in the backfield after the 1st quarter."

Much less so than in previous games actually. That's simply not true. It certainly was the case in previous games however and that didn't stop you and others from defending him then. So with the couple of runs that he did lose yardage, it was far fewer than in previous games. I have all of his stats in a spreadsheet by run, down, and gain if you'd like to see them. As to this game, he had the following:

1st Q: 22, 1, 10, 4, -1 (3rd & 1)
2nd Q: 10, -1 (1st & 6), 1
3rd Q: 2, 4, 1

If you're not happy with those, then I see no reason why you'd be happy with most of the rest of his games as he had more runs percentage-wise for losses or 0 or 1 yard than he's been having over his last two or three games. His fumbles have also been down.

SABURZ,

"i don't agree with the fact that 75% of our plays were passes."

Well, OK. Do you believe that the earth is round? There's not much I can do to help you out there. This game at least:

49 designed passing plays
12 designed rushing plays
1 scramble

I don't know what to tell you. At least I can see why you have hopes for the playoffs. ;)

EricStratton
11-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Wys,

Read the rest of SABURZ post before you dog him, he actually agreed with you. Not every poster is your enemy.

I also agree with the idea that KG is throwing the ball to much. The pass:run ratio is to out of whack to win consistanly in the league. Sunday wasn't a good indication because we were dowm 14-0 before the hotdogs got cold but Sunday hasn't been the only time this has happened.

The Bills has a big, young, physical OLine and a good to very good RB. We should sure use them in the second half of the year and hopefully two weeks of film study but the coaching staff will lead us that way.

WG
11-06-2002, 09:06 AM
colin,

We don't need "big gains". What we need is a steady sure running game that can get the short yardage when needed. Henry has struggled in doing that this season in spite of my attempts to educate the masses to that fact.

Look at Smith this weekend! Did he have a lot of "big gains?" No. He was a steady rusher. Bills fans this year are putting WAY too much credence in 2 or 3 carries a game while completely ignoring what happens on 80% of the carries.

If Henry could get the 3rd and 1s much more effectively, he'd be worth a lot more than having 2 runs for 45 yards and another 18 carries for 20 yards. Why is that so difficult for everyone to understand? BTW, I don't blame Henry for the fact that he is not rushing well now. He is. He averaged over 5 YPC on Sunday and still didn't get the ball. He's made a concious effort to hang onto the ball and as I see it, it is paying off as his fumbles are going down. Yet, Gilbride, even against a team like the Pats who had allowed a league horrible 142 yards rushing against them, he chooses not to give Henry the ball! That's Gilbride's fault and if we do this again next year, I'm tellin' ya, it's gonna prevent us from doing well in the playoffs if in fact we even make them.

Henry had 53 yards against a D that allows 142 on average. Do you think the outcome of the game may have been different if Henry would have had 30 carries for 160 yards?? I do. Certainly it would have kept the Pat offense off the field for a good chunk of the game. That in and of itself would have kept the game closer.

But, hey, what do we as fans know! Gilbride is an "expert" and professional, right? :rolleyes:

I say it's time for some new coaching. I originally liked GW's plan to staff the team coaching wise. But it now appears that gross inexperience at the pro level coupled now with a coach that after some research, Gilbride is the passingest coach in the NFL over the past 10 seasons, and he has not experienced any significant level of success doing that.

I think it's time!

WG
11-06-2002, 09:07 AM
We don't need to waste another season or two with this corp of talent that we have amassed. I don't think that too many coaches would be doing any worse with this team, possibly better. What does that tell us?

Typ0
11-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Next season we should have a much better team too are we going to let these clowns screw them up.

WG
11-07-2002, 08:52 AM
Just bumping this up for B2.

Novacane
11-07-2002, 09:14 AM
OK then BFO and B2R46,

You guys both criticize me when I said that about Henry when he was fumbling. He's gotten better now and still isn't being run.

I don't think he has gotten better. He fumbled against Detroit and did not get enough carries against NE to judge his fumblitis.

Yea......KG likes to throw. No doubt. He also want to win though. I think he is just calling what he thinks gives the Bills the best chance to win

WG
11-07-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but in the long run, you realize that purely a passing game won't get us to the big dance, right!

We absolutey need to have a running game. As Bills fans, and I think I am in good company here although I may not be, I am no longer content w/ an AFC Championship. I'd like to win the big one. As long as we don't have/use a running game, I see little chance of us getting there, and even less of us winning it if by some odd chance we were to make it.

I'm still not sold on Henry, but I've acquiesced to the pressure that overall he's put up some yards even though it's all been in 3 games.

As to his "fumblitis", During his first 4 fumbles, he had a fumble for a loss once every 15 carries. Since that fourth fumble, he's only had one fumble for a loss every 101 carries. That's been remarkable. Although he has had one fumble (not necessarily for a loss) every 50 carries. Still, a vast improvement. Enough to justify and otherwise warrant his getting the ball much more often. At least IMO.

Funny, how I'm the one defending Henry's play now. At least it's based on tangible improvement that I said was pivotal for me to acknowledge that he has improved. Yet, I still remain a pariah! Go figure!

WG
11-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Henry's also been much more consistent when he has gotten the ball. He has far fewer negative runs and most of his runs have been for acceptable yardage. The one thing that he has yet to improve, other than still improving the fumble issue, is his getting the short yardage for the first down.

WG
11-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Typ0,

"Next season we should have a much better team too are we going to let these clowns screw them up."

EXACTLY!!!

B2,

"Yea......KG likes to throw. No doubt. He also want to win though. I think he is just calling what he thinks gives the Bills the best chance to win"

Do you think? Or do you think that in there somewhere is something that makes him want to appear to be the O.C. of O.C.s by having some sort of passing record as an O.C.? B/c I think that you'd have to assume that he's not running on a full deck if he thinks that a stagnant passing game is going to do the job while abandoning the running game that had been working up to that point. He's done that several times now. Fortunately for us, the competition in those games was not particularly tough and we were able to overcome that imbalance(s).

Novacane
11-07-2002, 09:35 AM
You should get your wish as the crappy weather starts settling in.

If that does not make KG run more than nothing will.

And yes.............I agree we have to have more of a running game to win the Big one. I think we have it..................just not using it.

Novacane
11-07-2002, 09:39 AM

Do you think? Or do you think that in there somewhere is something that makes him want to appear to be the O.C. of O.C.s by having some sort of passing record as an O.C.?

I don't think he would do that! I think he really is calling what he thinks gives us the best chance to score. Perhaps it's his fear of Henry fumbling, or pressure to score a lot because our D sucks or perhaps he just want to use his best weapons(Price, MOulds, Drew) as his #1 way of moving the ball.

I don't know what he is thinking but I doubt it is to get personal attention for himself

WG
11-07-2002, 09:42 AM
Agree on your first post.

On the second, IDK, but I will say that if he thinks, and apparently he does since he's followed his philosophy over the years, that passing 2/3 or more of the time will win ya the big one, then perhaps he isn't the best O.C. for where we are right now.

A team like Cincy where they'd simply be happy to make the playoffs may be better suited for him. B/c using his philosophy of pass first and often, I simply see him as a roadblock to us winning the big one.

Typ0
11-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Gilbride is looking like an idiot. Henry has shown improvement when given the chance. Drew needs more time and a bigger field of play. Attacking LOS with a running game is something that can win us some games down the stretch. I don't care how many 300 yard games Bledsoe has Henry is the person who is in the best position to make a run at some tough wins.

Drewpac
11-07-2002, 11:39 AM
I agree with Wys and Typ0. Opponents are no longer respecting the run. They no Gilbride won't call any running plays and they are sitting back and taking away all of Bledsoe's big play opportunities. I don't expect many of those 3rd and 1 passing plays to work anymore since Gilbride has completely eliminated the element of surprise. We need to go back to the gameplan that we had against the Jets in the season opener where we were dedicated to the run. If Gilbride doesn't change his playcalling in the 2nd half of the season I think he needs to go.