PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills Scouting Report

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 01:58 PM
New coach Mike Mularkey has some tricks up his sleeve for an offense that has a couple of new weapons, but first he has to straighten out the line

The giddiness that greeted the arrival of quarterback Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo two years ago -- "the over-the-top parades," as he puts it -- has subsided. The stands at training camp were only half to three-quarters full this summer, and the crowds were surprisingly subdued. That's what happens after a 6-10 season, one that cost coach Gregg Williams his job. Taking over is Mike Mularkey, who spent nine years in the league as a player and 10 as an assistant coach, including the last three as the Steelers' offensive coordinator.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/magazine/08/30/bills/

ryjam282
09-01-2004, 02:18 PM
:up:

Thanks.

ScottLawrence
09-01-2004, 03:41 PM
That seems about right.

Im hopeful for second in AFC East.

justasportsfan
09-01-2004, 03:46 PM
"At least no one's booing," says Bledsoe, acquired in a trade with the Patriots in April 2002. "Talk about loyal fans. We owe them something this year."

No Shn!t sherlock. Now tell TD that as well.

Jan Reimers
09-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I like the piece. It recognizes that at least part of Drew's problems last year were due to poor protection and the injury to Moulds. It also credits Henry's courage and pride.

The allusions to Mularkey's trick plays are also interesting. Like most of us, I love gadget plays - when they work.

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 06:08 PM
"Talk about loyal fans. We owe them something this year."

You really do owe us something!! You better repay us!!! :mad:

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 06:10 PM
The allusions to Mularkey's trick plays are also interesting. Like most of us, I love gadget plays - when they work.
I agree, I love trick plays. If you do one just every once in a while (not too much which I'm afraid MM might do) you can really catch the defense off guard and change the entire momentum of the game.

bills_7
09-01-2004, 07:11 PM
I agree, I love trick plays. If you do one just every once in a while (not too much which I'm afraid MM might do) you can really catch the defense off guard and change the entire momentum of the game.

I would only like to see us try trick plays when we have the lead or it is reasonably close..... im not a fan of trying gadet plays to try and come back in a game... they are most effective when u have the defence on their heals and guessing.....

ShadowHawk7
09-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Can someone explain to me how the trick play w/o a QB and everyone running off the field worked?

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 10:28 PM
McNally is considered among the best in the business -- he worked with Hall of Fame tackle Anthony Muņoz in Cincinnati in the 1980s -- but he is coming off a bad year with the Giants, who expected him to work miracles with a subpar unit. McNally has more to work with in Buffalo. Thing is, TD/MM expect the same here, but IMO he doesn't have "more to work with". Hence I expect similar results unfortunately. But I am glad we have him. At least that piece is in place. Just need to give him better clay to mold next year.

EDS
09-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Thing is, TD/MM expect the same here, but IMO he doesn't have "more to work with". Hence I expect similar results unfortunately. But I am glad we have him. At least that piece is in place. Just need to give him better clay to mold next year.

He does have more to work with from a talent perspective. The giants had very little talent along the offensive line. When you look at it, the Bills have some talented offensive lineman - both Mike Williams and Jonas Jennings are extremely athletic given their size, both have good feet and mobility. Teague and Villareal are much more experienced then anything the Giants had on the interior of the offensive line. Sure left guard is not a perfect situation, but those are the types of players that filled out the Giants starting o-line as well.

There is no question that some of the Bills "talent" on the offensive line has not played up to their potential, but that is why you bring in one of the top o-line coaches of all time.

bobblehead
09-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Can someone explain to me how the trick play w/o a QB and everyone running off the field worked?

The QB walks up under center to start the play. The head coach starts screaming to the QB that he is running the wrong formation. Just as the QB is about to put his hands under center and start his cadence, he glances back at the head coach, who is still yelling at him. The QB then yells back at the coach, and then starts walking over to the sideline, while waving and arguing with the coach simultaneously. At that point, the center will snap the ball to a RB, who was lined behind the QB before the 'argument' started, and the play begins.