View Full Version : Offense disappearing?

WG
11-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Over the last 4 games Drew has only thrown 5 TDs. At this rate, he'll have less than 30 easily by year's end.

Our offense has sputtered in the last 3 games averaging less than 16 points with over half of those scored vs. Detroit.

Something's going on b/c we sure aren't exhibiting that high-powered offense that we were all applauding when we played scrub teams and teams w/ no D.

I'm concerned. Deeply.

Especially since our D is just about the worst in the NFL and doesn't figure to get any better playing the offensive powerhouses that we face in 5 of 7 games.

Cold and snow is no passing game's friend either.

BillsOwnAll
11-05-2002, 03:57 PM
we didnt use r game plan as the first few games either i mean did we go deep once in that pats game??? i was shocked at how we didnt go long at all i mean we usually get big plays when we do.

The_Philster
11-05-2002, 03:58 PM
We haven't done a solid job of establishing the run except in a few games here and there...We need that running game to click on all cylinders for the stretch drive.

LtBillsFan66
11-05-2002, 03:59 PM
Wow. Someone got into a bad batch of wing sauce.

Wys - our problems are with our d. And bad decisions (punt on 30).

WG
11-05-2002, 04:02 PM
You're right BFO. Our offense was just stellar vs. the Pats yesterday putting up 7; and vs. the Phins putting up 16; and vs. the lowly Lions putting up 24, less then the average against them; and another 31 against the Texans.

WOW! I'm sure impressed. When you wake up from your dream please let me know...

;)

WG
11-05-2002, 04:04 PM
We haven't had a good offensive game since Oakland weeks ago.

LtBillsFan66
11-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Wys,

We missed 3 fgs. And we punted on the 30. Could have possible scored on the Jay review. So the 7 points only arguement doesn't tell the whole story.

LtBillsFan66
11-05-2002, 04:06 PM
Plus, that is the first game we were shut down. Which we weren't totally - given the mistakes (coaching - GW - and kicking).

WG
11-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Funny how when I make arguments like that I get ridiculed! Isn't it...

;)

Ok then, say 23. Still, given the talent we have, that's still poor against a team that has allowed an average of 21 and considering that we were the home team.

Nonetheless, that doesn't tell the whole story as you suggest. But where does Gilbride not running the ball against a team that has allowed more than 140 YPG rushing?

I certainly think that's a huge part of it too that doesn't work it's way into stats. Ineptness in coaching!

Earthquake Enyart
11-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Gilbride consistantly outcoaches himself. Buddy Ryan punched him for a reason.

Tatonka
11-05-2002, 04:32 PM
cancer

WG
11-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Your right tatonka. I'll go stick my head in the sand and dream of the playoffs....

:lol:

WG
11-05-2002, 04:38 PM
I'd say if there was a cancer, it's the coaching staff. I think Belichick and the Pat offense and defense proved that. Don't you? Or do you think it was a good game?

WG
11-05-2002, 04:39 PM
:rolleyes:

Never any substance, just criticism.

Funny, some of you who said that you'd apologize still haven't done so even though I've called this team totally correctly 'til now.

Earthquake Enyart
11-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
:rolleyes:

Never any substance, just criticism.

Funny, some of you who said that you'd apologize still haven't done so even though I've called this team totally correctly 'til now.

Easy there, cowboy. You said that the Dolphins woiuld hand their a$$es to them too......

lunatic_bills_fan
11-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Just wandering when 310 yards is a bad game. Oh well guess I didnt know that much about football after all. Damn you Drew you know that anything less than 600 yards passing just wont cut it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jman
11-05-2002, 04:55 PM
:2guns:

Let's just say we were reloading last week.

WG
11-05-2002, 05:00 PM
EE,

"Easy there, cowboy. You said that the Dolphins woiuld hand their a$$es to them too......"

LOL. One bad call all year. I had no idea that Lucas thought it was Christmas...

:D

hey lunatic,

302 with 80 on the last drive that yielded Nada since Bledsoe couldn't get the job done. I don't want to criticize Bledsoe, so please don't turn the conversation to him. I think he's one of the few bright spots on the team this season.

Nevertheless, leading the league in sacks is hurting us and perhaps when he sees a sack coming he should go down instead of running backwards for another 10 yards, eh?

He had 222 yards, only 186 after you take of the yards lost in sacks while trying to pass through the game until that last drive when clearly the Pats were in somewhat more of a lax prevent.

7 points. I see you failed to mention that! We got two sniffs of the endzone. One for 7, and one with three attempts on the waning seconds of the game for NOTHING!

Hello! How can anyone try and paint that game as anything other than a first class schooling and a total and utter debacle?

That could very well be one of the most lopsided losses in the NFL this season.

Herdwatcher
11-05-2002, 07:23 PM
Over the last 4 games Drew has only thrown 5 TDs. At this rate, he'll have less than 30 easily by year's end.

Our offense has sputtered in the last 3 games averaging less than 16 points with over half of those scored vs. Detroit.

Something's going on b/c we sure aren't exhibiting that high-powered offense that we were all applauding when we played scrub teams and teams w/ no D.

I'm concerned. Deeply.

Especially since our D is just about the worst in the NFL and doesn't figure to get any better playing the offensive powerhouses that we face in 5 of 7 games.

Cold and snow is no passing game's friend either.

Very much so, Why? I think the Wr's are running the same routes and are being taking out of their game. Some change needs to be applyed to mix it up out there. They were so hell-bent to change things aroung from last year, when the did, they never drew up a plan to counter the defense when things get figured out. You really can't expect the 5-in-1 route to work that good any hoot.. use the tree, and have a name for each route. Not , if this happens I'll be over there.

LtBillsFan66
11-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Funny how when I make arguments like that I get ridiculed! Isn't it...

I was just trying to make the point that we had plenty of scoring opportunities. It wasn't necessarily the offenses (or Gilbrides) fault for not scoring.

We got beat good. I'm not making excuses. But you can's say our O was a non-factor in the game just because we scored only 7.

Typ0
11-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Gilbride sucks. He won't run the ball. Gilbride sucks. Get rid of him.

Williams sucks. He makes lousy gametime decisons. Williams sucks. Get rid of him.

Get some coaches in here who will actually put the players in a position to win.

These two guys will have a chance to redeem themselves in the coming weeks. If they don't wake up and smell the coffee I say we should all visit one bills drive and throw rotten eggs at them.

colin
11-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Although NE was clearly a crappy game, Drew has a case of Jim Kellyitis, that is where the team throws for big gains and RUNS in the red zone. It is not a bad thing at all. When guys like Gannon and Garcia have 30+ touchdowns, it is because they throw it on 1st and 1 at the goal line.

casdhf
11-06-2002, 07:52 AM

My prediction is that we go 1-6 or 2-5 after the break and that there is some very critical analysis at the bye week when likely we'll be 4-5. If not 4-5 however, I doubt we'll be 5-4, more than likely 3-6. I can't see us winning 3 of the next 4 games.

For someone who has called this team perfectly, you messed this one up by a little bit.

Dozerdog
11-06-2002, 09:14 AM
You're right BFO. Our offense was just stellar vs. the Pats yesterday putting up 7; and vs. the Phins putting up 16; and vs. the lowly Lions putting up 24, less then the average against them; and another 31 against the Texans.

WOW! I'm sure impressed. When you wake up from your dream please let me know...

;)

Here's a stat for you- 3 wins 1 loss.

I'm going back to bed

WG
11-06-2002, 09:29 AM
Hey cas,

I suppose that it doesn't figure into your calculations at all that we almost lost games vs. the might Texans, the incredible Lions, the awesome Vikes, and the powerful Bears! Do they?

We could easily have been 1-8. And this is the team that you expect will make the playoffs by beating teams like G.B., K.C., N.E., S.D., and Miami! Very interesting. Your analysis is so one-dimensional that I grow weary of you lame attacks.

How many ZBs do you want to wager that we don't win a game more than three of our last 7?

casdhf
11-06-2002, 09:40 AM
what about the games where we almost came back to beat Denver, where we should have beat the Jets, or how we blew it on Oakland? If you count those, we could easliy be 8-1.

casdhf
11-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Coulda been 1-8. Who cares?
Are 5-4. Thats all that matters.

EricStratton
11-06-2002, 09:42 AM
One thing cool in the NFL Wys is wins, no matter how ugly or how close still count as wins.

You know, if we finish 3-4 and get to 8-8 for the season we hit the win total most fans were looking for 9 weeks ago. 3-13 and boring to 8-8 and fun to watch is a hell of a turn. That gives us this next off-season to build to the next level.

Sounds like a pretty good direction to me.

casdhf
11-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Your analysis is so one-dimensional that I grow weary of you lame attacks.

Do you even read any of the dribble you write? Everyone sucks. I admit we aren't the perfect team, but we have alot of bright spots, anyone who doesn't agree is a freakin' moron.

WG
11-06-2002, 09:47 AM
cas,

Surely you jest! The Jets didn't do anything to win that game other than capitalize off of our mistakes. Nice try. The Raiders blew us out! They could easily have had another 21 points, that K.C. will have, oh, BTW, for a total of 70. If Rice doesn't drop a couple of homerun balls amidst our great coverage, then they do. Denver, again, mistakes that we keep making every week beat us there. So why do you think that if we played Denver 10 times we might win more than once?

The games vs. Houston, the Vikes, Bears, and Lions were a lot closer than those games. Again, you're dreamin'! BTW, I thought you'd jump all over my generous offer for a wager! What happened? Not a HUGE fan anymore?

Either put up or end this. Your little tantrums make me weary. ;)

Earthquake Enyart
11-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Your little tantrums make me weary. ;)

There is the pot calling the kettle black....:laughter:

WG
11-06-2002, 10:12 AM
ES,

I hear ya. But what Bills fans seemingly are not considering is that the level of competition is a huge factor. Beating up on the league's dregs does not mean that you can beat the better teams. We'll find out for sure over the last 7 weeks. Yet, that is a concept that Bills fans seem to struggle with.

Sure, on any given week the Bills can beat G.B. That is not the same to say that the Bills chances of beating a team like G.B. are high. See the difference? If we played G.B. 10 times, they should beat us all 10. But, due to lapses, off weeks, and on weeks by the other team, a team like G.B. may only win 7, 8, or 9 of those.

But to then say that the Bills chances of success in winning 5 of their last 7 is remiss. For us to beat 5 teams all with about the same chances of us beating them as above, the odds get incredibly and ridiculously low for that to happen.

As to this season, if there is anything that we have been shown, it is that we have benefitted from a weak schedule. That much cannot be more obvious. If we had our last 7 games up front, we'd likely have been 2-7 instead. Then would anyone be talking about playoffs? Of course not. I would dare say that if we were 2-7 and had our first seven games yet to play that we might even go on a 5-2 streak to finish out at 7-9. Would that mean that we had improved by year's end? Or would that simply mean that b/c we played easier teams, that we'd have benefitted from that?

Why is it so difficult for Bills fans, and particularly ones on this board, to understand that easier competition means an increased liklihood of winning all things remaining the same?

Here's the prime example:

The Bears last year were 13-3! Awesome, right? That's what many analysts were saying. Well, I went and did a little research as to how a formerly 5-11 team could jump to 13-3 so quickly. Well, as truth would have it, 10 of the teams that Chicago beat were 8-8 or worse. Only one 8-8 team in Washington.

So who did they beat that was good you ask? Tampa twice at 9-7 and the Niners as the only good team. They lost to G.B. twice, and to Baltimore a 10-6 team. So the bottom line is that they only beat one team w/ a double digit win tally? So why was everyone saying they were good last year?

Afterall, they got mopped up by Philly in the playoffs! This year, they certainly do not appear to have improved significantly as they are currently 2-6. This year, they beat up on hapless Minnesota and on Atlanta while they were still raw and finding their way. They gave up four games to us, G.B., Philly, and N.O., and lost to the Vikes the second time and to Detroit.

So are they good? Were they last year? B/c not that much has changed for them. So why is it that everywhere else in this league the strength of schedule means something, but it doesn't for the Bills? Where is any evidence at all, in spite of a lot of it to the contrary I might add, that we even have the capability to beat K.C., G.B., N.E., or S.D., and maybe even a healthy Miami as we couldn't seem to score vs. them the first time? I just don't see it.

But this "yeah, any team can beat any team on any given Sunday" argument is true, but not week in and week out such that a sketchy team like the Bills w/ quite possibly the worst coaching in the league. It simply isnt' going to happen. Where's any evidence that Gilbride is gonna break w/ his traditions of the past 10 seasons and primarily run the ball inasmuch as possible?

The K.C. game, K.C. will outscore us although we may put up some points vs. their horrible D. Ours is just as bad however if not worse.

G.B. will defeat us on both sides.

S.D., there is nothing to stop Tomlinson from having 200 yards.

N.E., if anyone really thinks that Belichick isn't going to take it to us again, then they're not rooted in reality. The second game could quite possibly be worse if anyone can imagine that. The crowd is gonna be impossible.

Miami, w/ Fiedler in there, I certainly think that Williams will outperform Henry at this rate and the holes will certainly open up w/ Fiedler and Chambers back.

The Jets are playing much better than they were by a long shot and are now more resembling a playoff team. That game will be interesting and is in NY.

Cincy, weird. Who knows. BUt I wouldn't put a lot on the Bills winning what will be a meaningless game by then.

WG
11-06-2002, 10:13 AM
"There is the pot calling the kettle black...."

Naturally EE! ;)

lunatic_bills_fan
11-06-2002, 10:36 AM
Funny how this post started off about Offence disappearing, but Wys the the Jets game you make reference to was LOST by Special Teams. The Oakland game you make reference to was LOST by DEFENCE. The Denver game was LOST by a FUMBLE. d00d you got too much on your mind to even make a credible debate.

LtBillsFan66
11-06-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
Funny how this post started off about Offence disappearing, but Wys the the Jets game you make reference to was LOST by Special Teams. The Oakland game you make reference to was LOST by DEFENCE. The Denver game was LOST by a FUMBLE. d00d you got too much on your mind to even make a credible debate.

You know what. I challenge everyone to come up with 100 outrageous predictions. Chances are, one will come true. Then you can gloat.

My favorite wys post:
"Oh how Bledsoe blows, let me count the ways."

BillsNYC
11-06-2002, 11:53 AM
i think that now that our weaknesses have been exposed...gilbride is gonna have to get off his arse...throw his old playbook in the trash...and start writing a new one....this guy is the father of the run and shoot..he'll think of something...he has too many weapons at his disposal!

casdhf
11-06-2002, 12:36 PM
cas,

Surely you jest! The Jets didn't do anything to win that game other than capitalize off of our mistakes. Nice try. The Raiders blew us out! They could easily have had another 21 points, that K.C. will have, oh, BTW, for a total of 70. If Rice doesn't drop a couple of homerun balls amidst our great coverage, then they do. Denver, again, mistakes that we keep making every week beat us there. So why do you think that if we played Denver 10 times we might win more than once?

The games vs. Houston, the Vikes, Bears, and Lions were a lot closer than those games. Again, you're dreamin'! BTW, I thought you'd jump all over my generous offer for a wager! What happened? Not a HUGE fan anymore?

Either put up or end this. Your little tantrums make me weary. ;)

The point is, saying we should have won those games is just as stupid as saying we should have lost.

I'll take that bet on the fact that you think KC will score 70.