PDA

View Full Version : Pennington signs 7 year contract extension

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Chad Pennington agreed to a $64 million, seven-year contract extension with the New York Jets on Wednesday that includes $23 million in guaranteed money.

A source familiar with the negotiations, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Pennington will average $9.172 million a year. The quarterback, entering his fifth season, also receives the second-largest amount of up-front money, behind only Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning, who got a $34.5 million signing bonus earlier this year. The total value of Pennington's deal is $64.197 million.
More... (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/9556609.htm?1c)

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Smart move IMO. Pennington is special and you can't let a QB like that get away from you. For some perspective, since Kelly left we've had 2 winning seasons in 7 years. :sigh:

I think the Jets are going to be a major pain in the ass over the next bunch of years.

ScottLawrence
09-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Smart move IMO. Pennington is special and you can't let a QB like that get away from you. For some perspective, since Kelly left we've had 2 winning seasons in 7 years. :sigh:

I think the Jets are going to be a major pain in the ass over the next bunch of years.

Yep.

9 million a year is a lot to pay him and, they still have to sign there other top free agents next year.(Ellis, Abraham, Jordan, Becht, McKenzie)

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Yep.

9 million a year is a lot to pay him and, they still have to sign there other top free agents next year.(Ellis, Abraham, Jordan, Becht, McKenzie)

Exactly and that is why the Jets, Colts and a few others who pump so much money into 1 player they won't be able to go out in FA and make some acquisitions that could help them.

ScottLawrence
09-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Exactly and that is why the Jets, Colts and a few others who pump so much money into 1 player they won't be able to go out in FA and make some acquisitions that could help them.

Well, Jets will have plenty of cap room next year.(Something around 25 Million before the Pennington signing so, now they probably have around 14 Million.) I don't think thats enough to sign both there top DE's and there best Tackle in McKenzie.

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 09:28 PM
That is true, I agree expect I'd hardly call Becht a top free agent.

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Well, Jets will have plenty of cap room next year.(Something around 25 Million before the Pennington signing so, now they probably have around 14 Million.) I don't think thats enough to sign both there top DE's and there best Tackle in McKenzie.
I wonder whether they'd rather sign Ellis or Abraham...I don't know if they'll be able to keep both.

ScottLawrence
09-01-2004, 09:37 PM
I wonder whether they'd rather sign Ellis or Abraham...I don't know if they'll be able to keep both.

I'd rather go for Abraham considering how great of a pass rusher he is when healthy.... But, I think they'll go for Ellis who is better in the run and slightly worse rushing the passer which isn't a bad thing.

Maybe they can sign both... but, I doubt it.

McKenzie is also one hell of a Tackle and, Jordan is probably there future running back.

Icer
09-01-2004, 09:59 PM
The Jets are already working on a deal with Ellis.

John Abraham has too many off-field incidents and injuries that they are going to let the year play out. And maybe Franchise-tag him or McKenzie when the season is up.

Kareem McKenzie is as good as gone anyway, his agents are the Postons.

Becht sucks, and there are plenty of RB's available to draft along the line to eventually replace Martin.

The deal isn't really that bad if you look at it, it certainly doesn't handcuff there future. Although they probably cant go out and sign Chris McAlister they have plenty of space, like $14 million more just for '05.

Is that even including the fact that the cap might be raised again? Probably not, so there you go.

You also have to consider a rookie got a $20 million dollar signing bonus, having never taken a down in the NFL or won a game. Pennington in 02' showed he could lead a team with a subpar cast deep into the playoffs, fair market value. You dont let franchise QBs walk away.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Considering Indy's record with Manning I would argue it was/is worth it. As for Pennington only time will tell, but given what I've seen of him I have little doubt he will take the Jets to the next level.

The Natrix
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Yeah, it's defintely worth paying a QB like Manning or Pennigton. When you have a QB that needs all the pieces around him perfect in order to have success, increased costs are incurred on those said pieces. However, the resulting offensive production is usually about the same or worse compared to a Manning or Pennington type offensive philosophy. Look at all the great offenses in history. They were all lead by pretty damn good QBs. I don't buy the whole "the QB is just 1/11 of the offense thing" whereas I think on defense each position has about the same importance. Okay, now I'm just rambling.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 10:34 PM
We'll find out how good Manning is when he loses Harrison and or James.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Considering Indy's record with Manning I would argue it was/is worth it. As for Pennington only time will tell, but given what I've seen of him I have little doubt he will take the Jets to the next level.

Yes he has a good record but the ultimate goal is the SB. Will he be able to lead th eteam to the SB with no help around him?

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah, it's defintely worth paying a QB like Manning or Pennigton. When you have a QB that needs all the pieces around him perfect in order to have success, increased costs are incurred on those said pieces.Good point. The trick is to avoid paying a QB that kind of money AND still needing to surround him with the perfect pieces. I won't mention any names but I think you can figure out a good example of that. :doh:

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Good point. The trick is to avoid paying a QB that kind of money AND still needing to surround him with the perfect pieces. I won't mention any names but I think you can figure out a good example of that. :snicker:

Also it is known 1 player doesn't make a team or lead them to victory.:wink:

The Natrix
09-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Also it is known 1 player doesn't make a team or lead them to victory.:wink:

Favre has never led a team to victory?

Pennington made that Jets O two years ago. The O blew with Vinny in there with the same guys.

Plug Pennington in Buffalo's offense, and this team is a lock to make the playoffs and maybe even considered a superbowl contender.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Also it is known 1 player doesn't make a team or lead them to victory.:wink:Yes and no. Agreed, it is a team sport so if the team sucks a great QB will not be able to make them good. But that is the extreme case. If you put a great QB on an average team, he can elevate them to the next level and inspire them to play better than they could before, both mentally and physically. So in effect, 1 player can lead a team to victory.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Favre has never led a team to victory?

Pennington made that Jets O two years ago. The O blew with Vinny in there with the same guys.

Plug Pennington in Buffalo's offense, and this team is a lock to make the playoffs and maybe even considered a superbowl contender.

I'm pretty sure that Favre had a good team to work with there defense was pretty good and Desmond Howard got the SB MVP. I know Favre is great but he'll tell you it's a team game. As far as Pennington he's 9-12 as a starter so far, yes he can get better but giving him this contact is putting a lot on him.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Yes and no. Agreed, it is a team sport so if the team sucks a great QB will not be able to make them good. But that is the extreme case. If you put a great QB on an average team, he can elevate them to the next level and inspire them to play better than they could before, both mentally and physically. So in effect, 1 player can lead a team to victory.

Take away the NE defense or Belicek does Brady lead the team to victory? That's why football is the ultimate team game and nobody is goign to prove to me otherwise. Another point as great as John Elway was he never wo a SB until Denver got Terrell Davis and Dan Marino may have won a SB if he had a Good RB. I will be hollerin galong with everybody else if bledsoe sucks but until he shows me that I have confidence in him for this upcoming season.

Icer
09-01-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that Favre had a good team to work with there defense was pretty good and Desmond Howard got the SB MVP. I know Favre is great but he'll tell you it's a team game. As far as Pennington he's 9-12 as a starter so far, yes he can get better but giving him this contact is putting a lot on him.
9-12? It's 12-9

Plus you have to consider why the stats are so bad from last year. The Redskins offseason fiasco, add on top of that, that Conway (the supposed Coles replacement) couldn't catch a ball, Chrebet went down with concussions, John Abraham missed like 10 games, Josh Evans got suspended for the whole season, and the Defense was old and slow.

It's shocking when you consider there 10 losses was like by an average of 6-7 points, so it's not like they were blown out even with all the problems.

He had a great 2002 record. 9-4 (including the 2 playoff games) was it? With the highest passer rating in the NFL.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 10:58 PM
9-12? It's 12-9

Plus you have to consider why the stats are so bad from last year. The Redskins offseason fiasco, add on top of that, that Conway (the supposed Coles replacement) couldn't catch a ball, Chrebet went down with concussions, John Abraham missed like 10 games, Josh Evans got suspended for the whole season, and the Defense was old and slow.

It's shocking when you consider there 10 losses was like by an average of 6-7 points, so it's not like they were blown out even with all the problems.

He had a great 2002 record. 9-4 (including the 2 playoff games) was it? With the highest passer rating in the NFL.

Jets fan I take it. Yeah I switched the wins and losses around my mistake. Jets fan I take it. Yeah I switched the wins and losses around my mistake.It also shows me he also isn't a 1 man show and nobody is which is the point I'm trying to get across.

Icer
09-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Only posting in threads dealing with the Jets is a good indication, yeah.

NY times article says the bonus is really $18 million, so it's even lower than reported (if true)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/02/sports/football/02chad.html

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Take away the NE defense or Belicek does Brady lead the team to victory? That's why football is the ultimate team game and nobody is goign to prove to me otherwise. Another point as great as John Elway was he never wo a SB until Denver got Terrell Davis and Dan Marino may have won a SB if he had a Good RB. I will be hollerin galong with everybody else if bledsoe sucks but until he shows me that I have confidence in him for this upcoming season.
I said "a great QB can take an average team to victory". Brady is not a great QB, and as you say, nobody is going to prove to me otherwise. As for Elway, while he may not have won the SB until Davis came in, he still got them to 3 SBs before that. That's still "victory" in my book. As for Marino, he constistently got them to the playoffs and an SB as well, so again, that counts as victory to me as well.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 11:08 PM
I said "a great QB can take an average team to victory". Brady is not a great QB, and as you say, nobody is going to prove to me otherwise. As for Elway, while he may not have won the SB until Davis came in, he still got them to 3 SBs before that. That's still "victory" in my book. As for Marino, he constistently got them to the playoffs and an SB as well, so again, that counts as victory to me as well.

It's still a victory even though they lost com eon that is terrible if that was the case we Bills fans should be happy going to 4 in a row and not winning. Wow that may also mean the Bledsoe got a 2 SB victories.:rofl:

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 11:16 PM
It's still a victory even though they lost com eon that is terrible if that was the case we Bills fans should be happy going to 4 in a row and not winning. Wow that may also mean the Bledsoe got a 2 SB victories.:rofl:Yes, in my book it is still a victory. Would you rather be 6-10 or go to the SB and lose? Easy choice for me, and I suspect most people as well.:idunno:

The whole point is that a great QB can take an average team to victory (however you define it), and as such is worth the money. The catch is you won't know until you know, but nobody has a crystal ball. I doubt many Bronco fans (even if you asked them before the SB wins) or Fin fans would say they weren't worth the money. Those guys gave the team the best shot they had during those days.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Yes, in my book it is still a victory. Would you rather be 6-10 or go to the SB and lose? Easy choice for me, and I suspect most people as well.:idunno:

The whole point is that a great QB can take an average team to victory (however you define it), and as such is worth the money. The catch is you won't know until you know, but nobody has a crystal ball. I doubt many Bronco fans (even if you asked them before the SB wins) or Fin fans would say they weren't worth the money. Those guys gave the team the best shot they had during those days.

It may be a moral vctory but that's ll that it is. I'm sure all of the players on the Bills would trade 4 straight appearances in for 1 SB win.

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes, in my book it is still a victory. Would you rather be 6-10 or go to the SB and lose? Easy choice for me, and I suspect most people as well.:idunno:

I agree with that, you don't need to have a top QB to go all the way (Ravens and Dilfer) but your team has too be so strong all around. (Ravens had arguably the best defense EVER) If you have a good and solid team an Elway, Marino, or Montano can carry you all the way.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 11:26 PM
I agree with that, you don't need to have a top QB to go all the way (Ravens and Dilfer) but your team has too be so strong all around. (Ravens had arguably the best defense EVER) If you have a good and solid team an Elway, Marino, or Montano can carry you all the way.

Which is all I'm tryign to get across. Also the Ravens had Lewis for a running game along with there great defense.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 11:27 PM
It may be a moral vctory but that's ll that it is. I'm sure all of the players on the Bills would trade 4 straight appearances in for 1 SB win.
You are forgetting all those season wins, playoff wins and AFC championship wins it took to get there. Those are all victories that many teams/fans would kill for. Ask Cardinal fans if they would rather lose 4 straight or never go at all.

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Which is all I'm tryign to get across. Also the Ravens had Lewis for a running game along with there great defense.
Yeah, no matter how good your defense is you have to put a few points on the board, which is what Lewis did.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 11:29 PM
You are forgetting all those season wins, playoff wins and AFC championship wins it took to get there. Those are all victories that many teams/fans would kill for. Ask Cardinal fans if they would rather lose 4 straight or never go at all.

Of course I would rather have them get there but I'm saying proably most of the players and fans would trade getting there 4 times in a row for 1 SB victory.

Marvelous
09-01-2004, 11:31 PM
All those wins where awesome. I was happy almost every sunday. I miss winning.
:winkpunch :winkpunch

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Those wins were awesome but those SB loses hurt even more. If we just could've won 1. I was talking to one of my friends who is a hardcore Panthers fan who was devestated after Vinetari hit the game winning field goal. I told him now think about how you feel X4

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Those wins were awesome but those SB loses hurt even more. If we just could've won 1. I was talking to one of my friends who is a hardcore Panthers fan who was devestated after Vinetari hit the game winning field goal. I told him now think about how you feel X4

Bingo!:beers:

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Of course I would rather have them get there but I'm saying proably most of the players and fans would trade getting there 4 times in a row for 1 SB victory.Hard to say definitely one way or the other on that one, but probably yes.

But we're sliding off point here. My main point is not about "what is a victory" as much as it is "can a great QB take an average team to victory".

Marvelous
09-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Each SB loss hurt more. No doubt there.. I was the laughing stock of the neighborhood :mad:

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Hard to say definitely one way or the other on that one, but probably yes.

But we're sliding off point here. My main point is not about "what is a victory" as much as it is "can a great QB take an average team to victory".

Actually it's more of can 1 man lead a team to a SB victory question I'm asking.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Actually it's more of can 1 man lead a team to a SB victory.That's your point, not mine. How does a team get to the SB? By winning games. If a great QB enables an average team to do that, then in my book he is worth the money. You can't win the SB if you don't get there in the first place.

The Spaz
09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
That's your point, not mine. How does a team get to the SB? By winning games. If a great QB enables an average team to do that, then in my book he is worth the money. You can't win the SB if you don't get there in the first place.

I was the one who started the point and you started to have it veer in a different direction. I was only using Pennington and Manning as examples of players who are taking a majority of there teams salary.

Mr. Cynical
09-02-2004, 12:04 AM
I was the one who started the point and you started to have it veer in a different direction. I was only using Pennington and Manning as examples of players who are taking a majority of there teams salary.
Okay...your post implied that no single player is worth that much of a team's salary because as a team sport, no single player can will a team to win. If that isn't what you meant then ok....

But the question still remains about a great QB taking an average team to victory. You say no, I say yes. :D

bledslow
09-02-2004, 11:40 AM
i think brady has played great in his 3 years as a starter. in the last 2 years he has 3 fewer int's thrown and only 5 less td passes then the ''great''manning(with obviously less talent around him). and lead a team to 2 sb's that the high priced qb there before him couldnt.you got a lot of hate for tom.
you dont become 3rd in mvp voting by not being great.

as for pennington.i think the jets way overpayed for a guy that is VERY limited to what he can do.throwing 3-4 yard passes is gonna catch up to you.and i think it has since his horrible playoff game in oak. i can see if his career record was 15-6 or 16-5,but 12-9???? just bring the safetys up a little to take away some short stuff and he if F-ED hard,cause him going over the top and beating you down field is incredibly unlikely.

ScottLawrence
09-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Alright lets get back on topic here.

The Pennington signing was great for there team and, I agree with Natrix here.... If Pennington was the quarterback of this team we would be a superbowl contendor, IMO.

Like Icer said McKenzie is probably gone and, I think one of the DE's will go as well.

Pennington had an excellent year in 2002 and a very average year in 2003.... Only time will tell if he is worth the contract he got but, IMO he is.

Hopefully Losman can match Penningtons development... if he does, we are in good hands for a while.

Mr. Cynical
09-02-2004, 01:55 PM
i think brady has played great in his 3 years as a starter. in the last 2 years he has 3 fewer int's thrown and only 5 less td passes then the ''great''manning(with obviously less talent around him). and lead a team to 2 sb's that the high priced qb there before him couldnt.you got a lot of hate for tom.
you dont become 3rd in mvp voting by not being great.

as for pennington.i think the jets way overpayed for a guy that is VERY limited to what he can do.throwing 3-4 yard passes is gonna catch up to you.and i think it has since his horrible playoff game in oak. i can see if his career record was 15-6 or 16-5,but 12-9???? just bring the safetys up a little to take away some short stuff and he if F-ED hard,cause him going over the top and beating you down field is incredibly unlikely.Let's take a look at the stats:

Pennington
2002 nyj | 15 | 276 399 69.2 3120 7.8 22 6 | 104.2
2003 nyj | 10 | 189 297 63.6 2139 7.2 13 12 | 82.9

Manning
2002 ind | 16 | 392 591 66.3 4200 7.1 27 19 | 88.8
2003 ind | 16 | 379 566 67.0 4267 7.5 29 10 | 99

Brady
2002 nwe | 16 | 373 601 62.1 3764 6.3 28 14 | 85.7
2003 nwe | 16 | 317 527 60.2 3620 6.9 23 12 | 85.9

Key things to note:

Chad has a better YPA than Brady, so his "3-4 yards short game" isn't in any danger. Peyton also has a better YPA.
Brady has the worst comp % of the three.
Brady has the worst QB rating of the three.
I have nothing against Brady - he is a very good QB and deserves to be a starter. But he is not great in my opinion. The fact that he has 2 SB wins is not because of him. It is because of Belichick first and foremost, closely followed by the NE defense. Brady did what he had to do to help make it happen, but there are alot of other QBs who could have done the same. Bledsoe was not one of them because he did not have the ability to adapt to BB system. I would argue that a QB like Delhomme could have won those SBs with that team and there aren't many who would say he is great.

Pennington has shown himself to have the attitude, skills and leadership to take the Jets to the next level. As he is still very young, locking him in is a very smart move on their part. I hate to say it but I have a feeling the Jets will be a force to deal with in the near future, moreso than the Fins and even the Pats. And this will largely be due to the presence of Pennington.

Edit: I don't know what Brady's contract status is, but I would bet the price is going to be a "tad" higher when it is time to re-up. Hence the bargain may not be quite as good.

17a_tailgater
09-02-2004, 05:16 PM
i think its a great achievement by bradway and tannebaum to sign chad to a contract like that.we will have our franchise qb for 7 years now and still have room to sign ellis hopefully b4 the season.and if abe holds up tag him baby