PDA

View Full Version : Poll:Up or Down: Should Jon Dorenbos be cut?

G. Host
09-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Should Jon Dorenbos be cut?
My opinion: While the he is a special teams player only the speciality is extremely important in field position and field goals. We had Ethan Albroght for a number of years and he was flawless. Dorenbos was also a decent player on special teams last years.

Michael82
09-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Should Jon Dorenbos be cut?
My opinion: While the he is a special teams player only the speciality is extremely important in field position and field goals. We had Ethan Albroght for a number of years and he was flawless. Dorenbos was also a decent player on special teams last years.
Ethan Albright did the short snapping for field goals. Dorenbos didn't really do that last year. Trey Teague did. Ryan Neufeld looks like he is getting more comfortable with Moorman slowly...but it's going to take a little bit of time.

TigerJ
09-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Neufeld's snaps lack velocity. I'm all for having a player who can do double duty, but he's got to snap well. Dorenbos is the only guy on the Bills roster who snaps with both speed and accuracy. They can't cut him until they have something to replace him with.

Michael82
09-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Neufeld's snaps lack velocity. I'm all for having a player who can do double duty, but he's got to snap well. Dorenbos is the only guy on the Bills roster who snaps with both speed and accuracy. They can't cut him until they have something to replace him with.
They shouldn't have waited this long to try one out. :shakeno:

Dorenbos was the snapper that practiced with Moorman and Lindell all training camp, plus the 1st two preseason games.

Ingtar33
09-03-2004, 01:49 AM
I'll lay $100 down on him not getting cut. No way, No how, would an NFL team break up its place kicking and punting team after training camp.

Dumb question.

A better question would be, Should Sullivan get cut? Oh wait... its been asked

Jan Reimers
09-03-2004, 05:51 AM
I like the extra roster spot that would be freed up, particularly with our amount of talent. But you can only cut Dorenbos if you are ABSOLUTELY sure that Neufeld can handle the job.

mysticsoto
09-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Dorenbos HAS to be cut. We just don't have enough roster spots to waste. Neufield has been doing the duties okay and as he continues to practice doing so, he should get better and better.

There are other people more important that need to be in our roster. Or would you rather see someone like Baker or Greer have to go just to keep Dorenbos in the roster???

G. Host
09-03-2004, 10:27 AM
If that player is going to be #53 according to Bills yes.

Long snapper is too critical of a skill IMO to use someone learning in camp. How many missed snaps have there been on special teams? Too many IMO. Bad snaps can result in bad field position or even TDs scored when we are trying to give our offense a break.

mysticsoto
09-03-2004, 12:43 PM
If that player is going to be #53 according to Bills yes.

Long snapper is too critical of a skill IMO to use someone learning in camp. How many missed snaps have there been on special teams? Too many IMO. Bad snaps can result in bad field position or even TDs scored when we are trying to give our offense a break.

How many missed snaps were there in any of the preseason games? I thought Neufield did really well. The blocked punt was not a missed snap in the 3rd game was not a bad snap but an covered man (only 10 men on the field) mistake. It had nothing to do with the snap. I think the snap has been great. And given that now we are using 1st stringers who are also faster and block better, that only helps to serve the cause of getting rid of Dorenbos. I can't believe they didn't get rid of him in the 1st round and keep Peters instead (even though you would probably cut him the 2nd round). Dorenbos absolutely needs to go. We will already probably eat an extra roster spot at quarterback. Long snapping isn't rocket science. Neufield and other can learn and do it. And Neufield has been doing it lately with no problems. I expect a hiccup here and there as he continues to gain experience in doing so, but that's worth keeping a Baker or Greer on the roster!

G. Host
09-03-2004, 12:46 PM
I would not sign him at all. 31 teams choose not to draft him even with a 7th round pick. He was extremely raw and should not have left college early.