PDA

View Full Version : The worst point made in the history of football discussions is....

Patrick76777
09-03-2004, 09:17 AM
That teams or players play better against bad teams and often have more trouble against good teams!

Hello!!!! It’s moronic!

Earthquake Enyart
09-03-2004, 09:26 AM
One of my pet peeves is when morons compare regular season stats (doesn't matter which sport) to playoff stats.

Hello...... There are only good teams in the playoffs. It only makes sense that they'd be worse.

Patrick76777
09-03-2004, 09:30 AM
One of my pet peeves is when morons compare regular season stats (doesn't matter which sport) to playoff stats.

Hello...... There are only good teams in the playoffs. It only makes sense that they'd be worse.

Right, when you pit a 11-3 team against a 3-11 team in week 16, the 11-3 team is going to put up some big numbers, but a few weeks later when that team is in the playoffs at 12-4 and they're on the road against a 13-3 team, it's going to be a dogfight and the numbers just won't be there.

TedMock
09-03-2004, 10:24 AM
That teams or players play better against bad teams and often have more trouble against good teams!

Hello!!!! It’s moronic!

agreed. I hear it all the time, too. Some here use that argument, sports radio, tv, etc.. The guy on the radio the other day (I'm in the DC area) said that Portis racked up most of his yards against non-playoff teams. Yeah, no s**t, sherlock. Shouldn't he rack up most of his yards against non-playoff teams? Oh that's right, his best games should be against the Ravens defense. :yap:

Patrick76777
09-03-2004, 10:27 AM
agreed. I hear it all the time, too. Some here use that argument, sports radio, tv, etc.. The guy on the radio the other day (I'm in the DC area) said that Portis racked up most of his yards against non-playoff teams. Yeah, no s**t, sherlock. Shouldn't he rack up most of his yards against non-playoff teams? Oh that's right, his best games should be against the Ravens defense. :yap:

I'm glad we're not all morons. You're point was perfect! I'm going to reference this thread ever time someone makes that argument.

Mr. Cynical
09-03-2004, 11:18 AM
This is a tangent to the main point but I think it is worth mentioning...

There are seasons where "good" teams lose games to "bad" teams, e.g., basically anyone who lost to the Bungals before Lewis got there. :; So it is not a given that you will rack up stats against bad teams. Some good teams/players choke against inferior competition and/or do not play as well as they should have, i.e., the term "playing down to the competition". However, not all good teams/players do this. Some kick the crap out of them and don't play down to the bad one, they play miles above them. IMO the really good teams/players don't slack or choke against bad teams.

TedMock
09-03-2004, 11:34 AM
This is a tangent to the main point but I think it is worth mentioning...

There are seasons where "good" teams lose games to "bad" teams, e.g., basically anyone who lost to the Bungals before Lewis got there. :; So it is not a given that you will rack up stats against bad teams. Some good teams/players choke against inferior competition and/or do not play as well as they should have, i.e., the term "playing down to the competition". However, not all good teams/players do this. Some kick the crap out of them and don't play down to the bad one, they play miles above them. IMO the really good teams/players don't slack or choke against bad teams.

Excellent points, and they're absolutely correct. My statement was made in general. A player will typically play better against weaker competition, all else remaining equal. However, there are instances where players (or teams) play down to their competition. Nothing irritates me more than that (except penalties). There are also cases where starters are pulled early against bad teams.

Ebenezer
09-03-2004, 11:37 AM

I love how in hockey they start with the "best team on the penalty kill in the playoffs" duh...after 3 games and 7 attempts most teams are over 90%...