PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents on the backup QB decisions

finsrclowns
09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Keeping 4 QB's on the roster doesn't make sense.

First of all, I can't see a big benefit to keeping Losman on the active roster for this season, so I'd put him on IR. Why have the kid rush back so he can run the scout team in 2 months?

2nd, I'd put Travis Brown on the PUP list so that saves another spot. I think he could be activated from the PUP list on week 8 and at that point you could put him on the active roster and cut someone else. Or not.

3rd, if SD cuts Flutie I'd bring him back as the backup. Yeah, he's 41 but he'll be better than Shane Matthews when he's 51 IMO. Anyone that seriously thinks Shane Matthews gives us a better chance of winning than Flutie if Bledsoe is out for a couple weeks is dreaming. If Bledsoe is out for much longer than that I think you start running 2005 draft threads anyway.

So bottom line, I'd occupy only 2 roster spots for QB's right now. That will allow us to avoid having to cut someone else that we don't really want to but have to.

Mr. Miyagi
09-03-2004, 11:51 AM
First of all, I can't see a big benefit to keeping Losman on the active roster for this season, so I'd put him on IR. Why have the kid rush back so he can run the scout team in 2 months?
Because you can't practice with the team if you're on IR. And that would put him out another year before he can challenge Drew.

finsrclowns
09-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Because you can't practice with the team if you're on IR. And that would put him out another year before he can challenge Drew.

I think he could still challenge next year either way without much problem.

In fact, if Bledsoe plays bad this year, IMO Losman will be in there next year ready or not, and some extra practice time won't change that. If Bledsoe plays well, especially if the team makes the playoffs, my guess is the kid sits next year also. Either way I don't think it's that big of a deal if you IR Losman now.

The Spaz
09-03-2004, 12:10 PM
I think he could still challenge next year either way without much problem.

In fact, if Bledsoe plays bad this year, IMO Losman will be in there next year ready or not, and some extra practice time won't change that. If Bledsoe plays well, especially if the team makes the playoffs, my guess is the kid sits next year also. Either way I don't think it's that big of a deal if you IR Losman now.

The more time Losman practices on the field and in the classroom the better. It is a big deal putting him on the IR hence the Bills aren't going to do it.

casdhf
09-03-2004, 12:23 PM
It's been posted 500000 times, but what's once more?

Travis Brown is cannot be put on PUP. He was injured in a game.

Michael82
09-03-2004, 12:24 PM
The more time Losman practices on the field and in the classroom the better. It is a big deal putting him on the IR hence the Bills aren't going to do it.
I disagree. If Losman's injury is like Michael Vick's...he won't be back until at least week 12 or so. If Losman is on IR...he can still spend his time with Wyche and others in meetings, classroom stuff, and just basically watching Drew and learning from him and learning from Wyche. If Losman's injury would make him be out for the first 12 weeks...why waste a roster spot? Let Losman heal up nicely and then let him practice throwing after the season and in the offseason. That way, you can make sure Losman is 100% again and you wouldn't need to worry about him making the injury worse by practicing before it is ready.

Michael82
09-03-2004, 12:26 PM
I think the best thing to happen would be for the Bills to put Losman on the PUP list, if they can. But :idunno:

The Spaz
09-03-2004, 12:40 PM
What's the rule on IR? Can the player have any contact with the team as far as game planning ETC?

carybillsfan
09-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I'd like to see us just put Travis on th IR. I think its in the bills best interest to just cut ties with him--because personally I don't ever see him starting a game for us. Mathews is a quality backup and could relieve Drew if need be. Hopefully JP will return around week 10, but putting him on IR makes no sense at all. If we lose Drew and Shane before that we could sign someone--at that point all hope for this season will be over anyway.

Michael82
09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see us just put Travis on th IR. I think its in the bills best interest to just cut ties with him--because personally I don't ever see him starting a game for us. Mathews is a quality backup and could relieve Drew if need be. Hopefully JP will return around week 10, but putting him on IR makes no sense at all. If we lose Drew and Shane before that we could sign someone--at that point all hope for this season will be over anyway.
Good post...but I'd rather just sign an injury-settlement with Brown, then if they want to...bring him back in week 10, if not. :bigwave:

Don't waste a roster spot with TWO injured QBs. That could come back to bite us in the ass. :eek:

The Spaz
09-03-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm thinking that if Losman is put on the IR he won't be able to practice on the field or in the classroom. He may be able to keep a playbook and study on his own but that's about it. I'm not definite but that's what I think.

Jayhawk
09-03-2004, 01:10 PM

Travis Brown is cannot be put on PUP. He was injured in a game.
because people want to talk about stuff all over again

Jan Reimers
09-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Matthews looks to be a better backup than Brown, so cut Brown outright or reach an injury settlement with him. Keep Bledsoe, Matthews and Losman.

JP is our QB of the future, so you don't want to totally ****** his progress with IR, particularly when in all probability he'll be back by mid-season. He had his surgery almost three weeks before the opener, we have a bye in week three, so he should be ready to go by about game eight.

NapalmDeath
09-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Matthews looks to be a better backup than Brown, so cut Brown outright or reach an injury settlement with him. Keep Bledsoe, Matthews and Losman.

JP is our QB of the future, so you don't want to totally ****** his progress with IR, particularly when in all probability he'll be back by mid-season. He had his surgery almost three weeks before the opener, we have a bye in week three, so he should be ready to go by about game eight.

Good Post. I agree. Cut Brown, and settle with 2 QB's for now, then once Losman gets back up to par, it's all good

BillsRockSOMUCH
09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Can we put Losman on the PUP list? I'm not quite sure how it works but if we can I think it's a good idea.
I think there's no reason to keep Brown. I think Matthews is a better backup, and I'd rather have him if Bledsoe goes down and why waste a roster spot on an injured 3rd stringer? Matthews can be our backup and Losman our QB of the future.

The Spaz
09-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Can we put Losman on the PUP list? I'm not quite sure how it works but if we can I think it's a good idea.
I think there's no reason to keep Brown. I think Matthews is a better backup, and I'd rather have him if Bledsoe goes down and why waste a roster spot on an injured 3rd stringer? Matthews can be our backup and Losman our QB of the future.

No we can't he would have had to be hurt before training camp I beleive.

justasportsfan
09-03-2004, 02:58 PM
those who pic ck Matthews over Brown are probably Johnsonites.

finsrclowns
09-03-2004, 04:11 PM
those who pic ck Matthews over Brown are probably Johnsonites.

:funny: At least they weren't suggesting RJ himself!

finsrclowns
09-03-2004, 04:23 PM

Sorry I missed the first 499,999. :;

Travis Brown cannot be put on PUP. You're right. :bow:

He was injured in a game.

Actually his own teammate hit him in practice. But that wasn't posted 500000 times though right? :peace: